Author Topic: Why I Plan on Re-Buying All My Old School Games on VC  (Read 13155 times)

Offline segagamer12

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Why I Plan on Re-Buying All My Old School Games on VC
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2006, 06:53:49 PM »
Its not like I was trying to get them to use my idea for a game or anything all we were doing was making a soundtrack CD to accompany Revolution.  I even offered to let them publish it or makeit a Promo deal for Preordering the system but they said they are too picky who they hand thier property to, and all I wanted was the BG music.

Long before we ever came to them we tried starting a petition to get them to make a Super Mario Allstars disck for GC and they told me wait till E3 and that was when they announced VC. I still think that a game like that could have sold pretty well on GC and maybe attracted gamers that left Ninty for PS.
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline denjet78

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Why I Plan on Re-Buying All My Old School Games on VC
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2006, 08:09:00 PM »
Has anyone here ever read those little text agreements that you have to agree to in order to install almost any program anymore? They basically say that you don't own the software you just paid for, but rather that you're simply leasing it and the original company that produced it has the right to, at any time, revoke your lease. When did this happen? Where are the laws protecting the consumer? Software in this country, the US, is basically being run by a communist regime.

Didn't we fight fight in two world wars to protect the world from this so called evil? But we're more than willing to allow the haves to manipulate the laws in such a way that they have almost complete control over the havenots. Nothing is sacred in the face of the all mighty dollar.

And you people here are arguing over whether downloading ROMs for decades old systems that may never see the light of day again is legal or not? I think there are far more pressing and dangerous situations out there.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2006, 08:12:31 PM »

Originally posted by: denjet78
Has anyone here ever read those little text agreements that you have to agree to in order to install almost any program anymore? They basically say that you don't own the software you just paid for, but rather that you're simply leasing it and the original company that produced it has the right to, at any time, revoke your lease. When did this happen? Where are the laws protecting the consumer? Software in this country, the US, is basically being run by a communist regime.

Didn't we fight fight in two world wars to protect the world from this so called evil? But we're more than willing to allow the haves to manipulate the laws in such a way that they have almost complete control over the havenots. Nothing is sacred in the face of the all mighty dollar.

And you people here are arguing over whether downloading ROMs for decades old systems that may never see the light of day again is legal or not? I think there are far more pressing and dangerous situations out there.

Someone is overreacting a bit.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2006, 10:26:44 AM »
Here's my problem with the VC as it stands right now.  It's a money grab.

Seriously, the games I (and I have to assume most others) would be most likely to buy are the ones I already own at least once, if not MULTIPLE times.  Zelda (in Animal Crossing, Zelda Compilation Disc), Mario Bros. (every Mario GBA game to date) and SMB (Animal Crossing) I have in at least one form if not many.  For Zelda and SMB ... I still have the original NES carts!  I don't want to buy these games again just for the convenience and prestige of playing them on the VC.  Nintendo has already shown that they have the ability to register games on the MyNintendo site ... let us put the in the product codes from games we already own and give us the VC versions of the games for free, dammit!

That said, I suspect the VC is going to be the only way to get back in touch with games I no longer have or never got to play.  I'm desperately hoping for Blast Corps and Sin and Punishment to be released on VC, but it's looking doubtful (Blast Corps was a Rare game, S&P was Japan-only).
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2006, 01:04:46 PM »
I have absolutely NO pity for those of you who OWN the games that I have NEVER gotten a chance to play. The VC is, in my eyes, my best chance at equalizing that disparity.

Genesis games? This Nintendo-only fanboi is sold. TurboGrafX games? I've only played the real TGFX-16 once or twice at a friend's place and it's held a place in my heart all these years since. I can finally scratch that itch! NES? I was BORN in 1984, that ENTIRE generation passed me by with only my uncle's hand-me-down game collection to recall it for me. Finally I can take that system and feel as if I'm finally seeing it through my own eyes. SNES? I would've never bought third party games back in the day, back now I'm eager for Castlevania and can FINALLY put all those memorized pages of Nintendo Power's Sim City walk through into action. Heck, back in the day I would play games by reading Nintendo power and never buying them. The VC is the feature of my literal dreams.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2006, 01:26:15 PM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
Here's my problem with the VC as it stands right now.  It's a money grab.

Seriously, the games I (and I have to assume most others) would be most likely to buy are the ones I already own at least once, if not MULTIPLE times.  Zelda (in Animal Crossing, Zelda Compilation Disc), Mario Bros. (every Mario GBA game to date) and SMB (Animal Crossing) I have in at least one form if not many.  For Zelda and SMB ... I still have the original NES carts!  I don't want to buy these games again just for the convenience and prestige of playing them on the VC.  Nintendo has already shown that they have the ability to register games on the MyNintendo site ... let us put the in the product codes from games we already own and give us the VC versions of the games for free, dammit!

That said, I suspect the VC is going to be the only way to get back in touch with games I no longer have or never got to play.  I'm desperately hoping for Blast Corps and Sin and Punishment to be released on VC, but it's looking doubtful (Blast Corps was a Rare game, S&P was Japan-only).

You know? That's an EXCELLENT idea! Too bad Nintendo would oppose to it since what they want is to make MONEY off the VC NOW.

While I agree with what you said about re-buying the same games, you have to admit it would be weird to NOT include them in the lineup. I mean, its like having a movie collection that lacks the classics. As much as Nintendo had whored Mario and Zelda in various formats they are needed in order to have a convincing and appealing lineup.

Although I have the feeling that the XBOX Live Marketplace, the PS3 store and the VC will be the death of compilation discs and re-releases of old games. I mean, I think its cheaper to put the data in a server than putting them on a disc, making the package, the instruction manual and such.

And one last thing, I am getting sick and tired of the "Nintendo is forcing me to buy the games I already have!" complains. Nintendo isn't forcing ANYONE to buy the VC games. If you are content with owning the game in a different format, fine. If you want to buy the game for the VC, fine. But its getting annoying hearing the same complain about how gamers feel that Nintendo is stealing the people's money when they aren't forcing anyone to.

It would be like complaining about the iTunes store, Napster or any service that offers downloadable media for a price...

"Oh, but I already have Pirates of the Caribbean on DVD! Why do I need to buy a 10 dollar, low quality version just so I can play it on my iPod? Apple is the suck!"

"Why buy the MP3 when I can have the CD?"
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer