Author Topic: 3DS XL FAQ  (Read 21243 times)

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
Re: 3DS XL FAQ
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 08:55:39 PM »

Nope. Chozo's right on this one. The CPP exists, therefore no segmentation. All any original 3DS owner would have to do is order it directly through Nintendo or walk into a Gamestop to pick one up. Simple.

I don't understand why you people have to keep arguing against this notion. Sheesh. Options are BETTER.

So you would argue Nintendo introducing Motion+ didn't segment the market? Because this is the exact same situation.
Nope. Not at all. Why? Because ANYONE could walk into ANY Walmart and pick up a Motion+ device. Bam, done. Settled.

I know...because I picked up two for my two regular Wii remotes.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 09:41:57 PM »
Here's an mailbag question:  What about viewing angels?  Does larger screens fix the issues?

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 09:52:57 PM »

Nope. Not at all. Why? Because ANYONE could walk into ANY Walmart and pick up a Motion+ device. Bam, done. Settled.

It's not settled. You can walk into any GameStop and buy a CPP. They are all over the place and if you don't like them, the only one stopping you from getting on is yourself.

Offline lifetimeofnot

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 10:12:54 PM »
I hope gamestop has a sweet trade in deal for this.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 10:32:54 PM »
Here's an mailbag question:  What about viewing angels?  Does larger screens fix the issues?

Maybe if outward facing 3D cameras had "divine" sensors, but I don't think Nintendo has that technology.

We are still left to preying for miracles and other such divine intervention.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 11:41:47 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NintendoFanboy

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2012, 11:39:24 PM »
Just nintendo stubbornness.
"Thats the way we made it, were not changing it"
Lets face it, if they added a second stick now, they would be admitting they were wrong.
We can see from the crap that they are peddling for the holiday, that aweful name,(i call the
NS6, )  as something someone wants, they are more stubborn today then the N64 days.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2012, 12:03:16 AM »
Is it true that you'll actually be able to play DS games 1:1 on the system?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2012, 12:20:35 AM »

I've heard people say this, but I think that's more wishful thinking. I assume we'll hear more about it in the coming month before its release.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Tora

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2012, 12:23:24 AM »
Are the camera's better in anyway? 

The res will be the same, considering the native pixels are built into the game card.  The older model will actually look a lot better in terms of pixels and depth. 

Offline red14

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2012, 01:17:06 AM »
Im never going to get over the fact that my 3ds will always have shitty ass ridges while im playing it. Goodbye depth perception..
If you shall force your righteous perspective upon others, which in turn requires an effort to understand, would you do the same? Or presumptuously reject theirs to begin with...?

..Which requires no effort on your part.

What else could you say in a complicated world..

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2012, 01:43:48 AM »
For that to happen, Nintendo would have to increase the pixel count by 16x. That doesn't seem likely.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 11:30:11 AM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline C-Olimar

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2012, 03:44:03 AM »
You should really update the FAQ. Kingdom Hearts is not out on the same day as the XL in Europe. It is actually out 8 days before it. DO NOT DISAPPOINT ME!

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2012, 10:02:34 AM »

It's not settled. You can walk into any GameStop and buy a CPP. They are all over the place and if you don't like them, the only one stopping you from getting on is yourself.
Huh? That makes no sense. The fact that you CAN walk into almost any gaming store or gaming section of a retail store and buy a Motion+ attachment - or even a Wii Remote+ for that matter - means there is no segmentation.

Also, you just disproved yourself on the subject of the CPP, by saying you CAN walk into a Gamestop and buy one. No segmentation.

How difficult is this to see? Gah. I'm starting to think you guys are only arguing over this for the sake of just arguing. And it's very disheartening when it comes to communication on this forum. It's almost like the majority of people on this forum feel like options and appealing to everyone absolutely cannot exist. It either has to be one way or no way for you all. Ugh.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2012, 10:20:47 AM »
The fact that you can ONLY buy the CPP at GameStop means there is absolutely the potential for a segmented market.  There is probably a fair chunk of 3DS owners (parents, young children) who never go into GameStop - they buy their games at Wal-Mart, Target, Amazon, Toys R Us, and one of the HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of other retailers that sell Nintendo products.  These customers probably have no idea that the CPP even exists.  It's not like Nintendo is advertising the thing.

Nintendo chose to sell the CPP at exactly ONE physical retailer, meaning they had absolutely no intention of this thing ever hitting widespread usage.  (See: Sega Nomad) So then why would they suddenly change their mind and put it onto the system, requiring every 3DS owner for the past year to track down a difficult to obtain peripheral (yes, it IS difficult to obtain if only one retailer sells it - you don't think there would be a MAD rush for CPP if the 3DS XL had included a right circle pad?) or face the potential of their 3DS being obsolete?

Nintendo may very well release a CPP XL, but that's the extent of their support of the right circle pad.  Nintendo made their bed over a year ago, and now we have to lay in it until the 3DS successor rolls around.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2012, 10:24:22 AM »
It's almost like the majority of people on this forum feel like options and appealing to everyone absolutely cannot exist.

I think everyone is fine with options. Its the criticism of Nintendo that no one will tolerate. If Nintendo does something which provides more options everyone will cheer it, but if Nintendo does something that limits options then they will defend that to the death against any criticism. I could be wrong, but that's how things seem to me.

Like for example, many months ago before Xenoblade and Last Story were confirmed to be coming here I was arguing then that NoA should do it, but people defended NoA for not doing it and went to great and unreasonable lengths to conjur up excuses to justify it. Well, now that those games are here those same people have shifted gears and now they think its a great move on the part of Nintendo.... but why didn't they think that before?

I can pretty much guarantee to you that if Nintendo had announced CPP integration in a 3DS revision these people who are now arguing against it would be cheering it. They will blindly accept without question anything Nintendo does or doesn't do, and will not tolerate any criticism whatsoever. They are only against CPP integration because Nintendo hasn't done it, because if Nintendo hasn't done it then it must be bad.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 10:40:03 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2012, 10:37:20 AM »
I can pretty much guarantee to you that if Nintendo had announced CPP integration in a 3DS revision these people who are now arguing against it would be cheering it. They will blindly accept without question anything Nintendo does or doesn't do, and will not tolerate any criticism whatsoever.

If you're referring at all to me, you're wrong.  Nintendo was right not to include the right circle pad on the 3DS XL, and I'd have thought it was the best move even if that wasn't the choice they made.  As someone who owns a 3DS, has no interest in a CPP, and no intention of purchasing a 3DS XL, this is the best move for me personally, and the best move for the company.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »
Well, I guess my counter to that then is this...

If Nintendo were to actually make a full-on revision of the 3DS with second analog stick.. do you not think that they would then start offering the CPP in more stores to give everyone the ability to pick one up? Of course, Nintendo's the only one who could answer this question. And while we're at it... say a hugely, high-profile game comes out that requires it... what would stop Nintendo from packing in a CPP with it to ensure everyone would eventually have one? They did this with Motion+ and the extra RAM expansion for N64, too..

Maybe I just think too positively all the time. There's no harm in giving people options - especially if Nintendo were to make the thing widely available.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2012, 12:39:29 PM »
I'd like to suggest something... crazy.

Now, let me be clear, I have no knowledge of this whatsoever.  Simply speculation.

Anywhoo, I keep reading about how Nintendo "chose to only sell the CPP at GameStop".

Does anyone have any evidence that this was ever actually Nintendo's choice?

Has anyone else considered the possibility that GameStop was the only major retailer that was willing to stock the CPP?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline LudicrousDa3ve

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2012, 01:09:18 PM »
I'd like to suggest something... crazy.

Now, let me be clear, I have no knowledge of this whatsoever.  Simply speculation.

Anywhoo, I keep reading about how Nintendo "chose to only sell the CPP at GameStop".

Does anyone have any evidence that this was ever actually Nintendo's choice?

Has anyone else considered the possibility that GameStop was the only major retailer that was willing to stock the CPP?
Interesting thought, but I doubt that no other retailer would be willing to sell the peripheral.
    As for the 3DSXL not having the second pad... I wish they had. Nintendo should realize that we like it when they accept and rectify their mistakes. Of course there'd be some split in the market, but an acceptable and manageable one. My two cents.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2012, 01:13:25 PM »
There's no way Amazon wouldn't have stocked it. And by the time it came out here 3DS sales had picked up and I think most retailers would have if Nintendo wanted them to. It's much more likely that Nintendo limited the release on purpose.

People keep saying Nintendo should admit they made a mistake, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't see it as a mistake. They never wanted a second analog on the system, not when they designed it and not now.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2012, 01:27:31 PM »
There's no way Amazon wouldn't have stocked it.

Are you sure about that?  How many times has Amazon stopped carrying the 3DS for seemingly no explainable reason?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2012, 01:42:04 PM »
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline vinniebrock

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2012, 01:59:24 PM »
I sort of want one... but IMO it doesn't look that great, OG 3DS is sexier/sleeker. And it might actually be TOO big for my liking, as I actually use my 3DS on-the-go. I might bite anyway, when i have some spare cash, because there's lots of games i'd love to play on that screen. It just won't be my primary machine/3DS.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2012, 02:15:47 PM »
I might buy one as a secondary system if there were an account system that let me play my digital purchases on both it and my launch unit. Even if it just worked like Xbox Live, where I could download everything on the standard 3DS and play it anytime and had to be logged into the online system on the XL to do it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2012, 02:32:30 PM »
I have a small hope that they'll let us do that. Particularly, since the thing doesn't even include an AC adapter in Japan/Europe, they're expecting mostly second buyers rather than new buyers, so hopefully, they'll make good with those customers.
Aaron Kaluszka