Author Topic: Retro Studios Not Working on Wii U Zelda Title  (Read 7099 times)

Offline the_dan_x

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Next Door Gamer
Retro Studios Not Working on Wii U Zelda Title
« on: June 13, 2012, 09:37:56 AM »

Miyamoto confirms the studio is currently too busy to take on the task.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30725

Retro Studios is not currently working on a Wii U Zelda game, a recent IGN interview with Shigeru MIyamoto reports. 

Echoing previous comments from Nintendo of America President, Reggie Fils-Aime, Miyamoto said, “Retro is very busy right now, but I’m afraid I can’t say exactly what it is they’re very busy [working] on.â€

He continued by stating, "In terms of them working on a Zelda, it's not out of the question, certainly, for them to work on an entire Zelda game amongst themselves. Traditionally I think that the Zelda team has always had a close contact with anyone who's working on a Zelda game. If you were going to have that happen in the US at Retro, that would be kind of difficult for them to be able to coordinate. Certainly they're too busy for that sort of thing right now. It would probably require me to be involved to a great extent as well, so I would have to get over quite a bit too. I'd probably have to live in Texas... [laughs]â€

Danny Bivens
Japan Correspondent
Nintendo World Report

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
Re: Retro Studios Not Working on Wii U Zelda Title
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 09:49:16 AM »
Let's all chip in and buy Shiggy an apartment in Texas and a flight immediately.
Gouge away.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 09:50:30 AM »
Hey Nintendo, stop giving me reasons not to buy the Wii U.

Considering the projects Nintendo's already ruled-out, I hope Retro's either working on Metroid again or a new IP.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 09:56:10 AM »
To be fair i don't want a Metroid IP from them.

Nintendo hasn't made a new core IP (especially a potential franchise) since Pikmin that's gained traction and it's long overdue now.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 09:58:24 AM »
Hey Nintendo, stop giving me reasons not to buy the Wii U

Yes, because Nintendo has been making games for thirty years because they want you please you. I finally know why they call you "Poor Man's Immitation Ian Sane".

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 10:05:38 AM »
Hey Nintendo, stop giving me reasons not to buy the Wii U.

Its not so much that they're giving you reasons NOT to buy the Wii U, but more that they aren't giving you any reasons TO buy it (if that makes sense).
is your sanity...

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 10:09:46 AM »
Hey Nintendo, stop giving me reasons not to buy the Wii U

Yes, because Nintendo has been making games for thirty years because they want you please you. I finally know why they call you "Poor Man's Immitation Ian Sane".

My, aren't you "Ambitious in all the Wrong Ways."  ::)

Btw, Miyamoto comments on Retro needing to coordinate with the "Zelda team" seem...odd, given Miyamoto's openly stated faith in Retro's abilities in the past.  Besides, given the problems with the Zelda titles since probably Wind Waker, I find it disappointing that Nintendo would insist on even a developer as highly renowned as Retro be tethered to a Japanese Zelda team.  At this point, hasn't Retro earned that trust?

As I said before, I hope this means Retro's working on a title where their skills and talents can be put to good use, like a new Metroid title or a new IP.  I'll be really disappointed if, after their work assisting another team on Mario 3D Kart, Retro's stuck on something like a Mario Kart Wii U game.  Wait, on second thought that might be a good scenario, since it means that series might actually evolve into something fresh.   :P:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:12:10 AM by broodwars »

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 10:13:23 AM »
Hey, no need to start copying me (plus, your comeback doesn't even make any sense). ;) I was just saying that because I didn't think you could expect a Retro Zelda, considering Nintendo would never hand over one of their babies to a western developer.

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 10:19:04 AM »
Hey, no need to start copying me (plus, your comeback doesn't even make any sense). ;) I was just saying that because I didn't think you could expect a Retro Zelda, considering Nintendo would never hand over one of their babies to a western developer.

And that kind of thinking is why the Japanese game industry is in decline.  Nintendo's free to make an awe-inspiring Zelda title that feels fresh and original, but they haven't managed that since Wind Waker so I won't hold my breath.  I'd like to see what a developer outside the Zelda Team's echo chamber could bring to the series, and at this point I wonder if that would have to be a Western developer like Retro.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 10:26:27 AM »
Who else could make a new and fresh Zelda? I don't think Retro could do it.

In any case, aren't you tired of Retro sticking to remaking Nintendo franchises? I'd rather have them create a new IP.

Offline LOZman

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 10:52:44 AM »

Yes, I would love to see Retro create something new. I have complete faith in them to create something fresh and exciting that would really attract people to the Wii U.

And that kind of thinking is why the Japanese game industry is in decline.  Nintendo's free to make an awe-inspiring Zelda title that feels fresh and original, but they haven't managed that since Wind Waker so I won't hold my breath.  I'd like to see what a developer outside the Zelda Team's echo chamber could bring to the series, and at this point I wonder if that would have to be a Western developer like Retro.

I don't know about you guys, but I thought that Skyward Sword felt like a very fresh Zelda game.

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 11:02:10 AM »
Who else could make a new and fresh Zelda?

Hmm...good question.  Maybe Bioware or Ubisoft?

In any case, aren't you tired of Retro sticking to remaking Nintendo franchises? I'd rather have them create a new IP.

Ordinarily, yes I'd much rather they were working on a new IP, but I don't have any faith that Nintendo's actually letting them do that.  Besides, Zelda's been in a rut for so long that I don't have confidence that Nintendo knows how to fix it.  They keep throwing new control methods at the series when there are deeper-level problems at play.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 11:05:40 AM »

Wait...are you kidding? That has to be a joke.

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 11:17:36 AM »

Wait...are you kidding? That has to be a joke.

Not at all.  BioWare is skilled in making rich narrative experiences in fantastic worlds, and Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed and Prince of Persia franchises show they have the skills to make large open worlds with intricate puzzles and a big emphasis on exploration.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 11:17:41 AM »
Btw, Miyamoto comments on Retro needing to coordinate with the "Zelda team" seem...odd, given Miyamoto's openly stated faith in Retro's abilities in the past.  Besides, given the problems with the Zelda titles since probably Wind Waker, I find it disappointing that Nintendo would insist on even a developer as highly renowned as Retro be tethered to a Japanese Zelda team.  At this point, hasn't Retro earned that trust?

Miyamoto also just recently said there wouldn't be a 3DS revision, but I don't believe that. Maybe he's not telling the truth here either? Maybe he wants it to be a surprise for us, so when he was asked directly the only option he had available was to flat out deny it which might have been a lie, but anything else would have been a confirmation. Even if he kept silent or evaded the question people would interpret that as a confirmation.

That said, he very well could be telling the true here, but I'm just pointing out that his denial isn't necessarily the final answer.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 01:18:27 PM »
Well, I guess it's time to eat some crow. Though, in my Retro-is-totally-making-Zelda defense, the rumors and news lately have made me think it's less of a thing.

It does beg the question: what are they working on?
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline shinyray01

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 04:06:20 PM »
Well, I guess it's time to eat some crow. Though, in my Retro-is-totally-making-Zelda defense, the rumors and news lately have made me think it's less of a thing.

"a project everyone wants us to do"
I'd say Starfox fits that description, maybe F-Zero but Starfox is more likely

Offline Ras

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 04:18:14 PM »
Maybe they are finally doing that Mario American Fooball game.  That or F-Zero.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 04:24:32 PM »
"a project everyone wants us to do"

I talked with a Retro guy in high position, looking for his name, in a nice long casual conversation he told me no one from the company said this. He laughed at the person who reported it, which I believe was the same guy who reported Star Fox X Metroid. He told me the team enjoy's reading message boards getting laughs from things like this, and they also like it because it get's people off of their tail leaving them to work on their secret project in peace.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 04:45:50 PM »
No one should be surprised.  EAD 3 is Nintendo's dedicated Zelda team and is one of their most successful studio's.  All of Retro's previous games are series that were less popular with no dedicated team to make them.  For Metroid Prime, the Metroid team at Nintendo R&D 1 who is now SPD 1 didn't have the ability to make a full 3D Metroid which is why they made the 2D Fusion and a different studio, Retro, was hired to make a 3D game.  For Donkey Kong Country Returns, the previous Donkey Kong platformer was Jungle Beat which was made by Tokyo EAD who is now the dedicated 3D Mario team and before them Rare made the Donkey Kong platformers and they've been long gone.

This is why a lot of people say Star Fox is likely because Star Fox is a series that was once popular but has never had a team dedicated to just working on that series.  Since Retro is the studio Nintendo gives old series that no one else does, that does make Star Fox a pretty good contender.  Espiecally now that it's turned out Platinums new game from Kamiya for the Wii U is a new IP instead of the Star Fox game he said he'd like to make, which points to Nintendo having someone else working on a new Star Fox instead.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline DarthBrady

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
    • Another Crappy Blog
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 04:58:35 PM »
I'm with the group of people that think's StarFox. I don't know why, but ever since I sat in my ship in Metroid Prime 3, all I can think is "when are they doing an actual StarFox game?"

A SIDE NOTE: Does anyone besides me remember the days of things like "Pak Watch" BEFORE the internet, when we actually were told which games were being developed? Damn you, internets; whining about your spoilers and such.... i miss those days sometimes...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:01:40 PM by DarthBrady »

Offline NintendoFanboy

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 07:01:56 PM »
OH its so obvious, Retro is working on "Wii Music U"
Only the tallents of Retro could take the Gamer completely outta the equation.
Wii music  Still required the player to act like a fool.
Retro will make it so you can start the game , turn off the tv and Gamepad,
come back later for the win.
THE NS6 holds so much promiss.

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
I knew it was too early to be working on new Zelda.

This means the likelyhood of new Starfox and/or F-Zero just went through the roof, along with my hopes.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 09:23:04 PM »

Pokemon MMO.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 02:36:13 AM »

Pokemon MMO.

that sounds awesome as well

but im leaning on starfox if they are reviving franchises, but i would still prefer a new franchise. Or a revived dead franchise like Mach Rider and Star Tropics.

other possibilities include Eternal Darkness, if for some reason Nintendo wants the sequel out, but doesnt want to wait on SK theres always Retro.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post