Author Topic: Topic of the Day (2021 Edition)  (Read 251481 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Topic of the Day (2021 Edition)
« on: February 01, 2021, 04:00:17 PM »
While the Switch's sales success may seem like old news by now, it seems like every time Nintendo releases a financial report about how it is doing, the numbers keep finding new ways to stun and impress. Nintendo can also adding earning the first Topic of the Day for 2021 to their report as well.  8)
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Topic of the Day (2021 Edition)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 01:43:10 AM »
Although it hasn't had much posting in awhile, maybe we can change that. I feel the recent news of Google Stadia shutting down first party studios is today's topic even if the news has always seemed inevitable with so many people doubting the longterm viability of Stadia from its initial announcement. Feel free to use the link and talk about how you called this situation from the beginning.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 06:40:43 PM »
Topic of the Day is off to a great 2021 start by beginning a month later and already missing a day.  :-[

I will make up for Feb. 3 by giving Mr. Bungle's Best of Wii U series some love. His latest entry focusing on the Wii U's SNES Virtual Console is something worth checking out since he has listed what games are currently still only available to that eShop. If you are wondering what advantages the Wii U still has left after so many ports then those games provide a starting point.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 06:51:09 PM »
As for Feb. 4th's Topic of the Day, I'm giving it up to Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy.

The game is getting some attention today on the NWR Discord so you may able to jump in and make your comments while the topic is still hot in there. Otherwise, I've posted some of the Discord comments on the forum if you want to catch up on some of the thoughts posted about it or comment on any part of the Atelier Ryza series in general. For even more Atelier Ryza 2 fun, here is the link to NWR's Review of the game. Gamers Ryza up!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 10:29:26 PM »
Sure, these topic of the day posts haven't been too timely but I haven't got much to work with here either. For Friday, I guess I'll give it to BnM's thread on Oculus Rift and his need for tech support in it. I also do not know why that thread is stickied but someone clearly must think it important.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 10:32:11 PM »
As for the normal Weekend reading type of post, I'm not ready to create one of those yet. Plus, I'm not sure I want to burn through a bunch of topics. Keep as many as I can in my back pocket for now. But I will highlight the NFL Discussion Thread as I am aware of current events. Although I was debating if I should wait until Monday as more discussion could be occurring then, it still seemed more appropriate to highlight it for this weekend.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Topic of the Day
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 05:11:56 PM »
Wait, is it 2021 or still 2020 because we're still talking about Wii U ports to Switch. Although the twist this time is that you list how many ports you own to be shamed by or impress other internet users. Topic of the day!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 02:17:24 PM »
Look out! It's the dreaded return of Safe Words! Like some kind of movie monster, this forum game just won't die no matter how much we think we may have killed it. Sign-ups for the new game are now open. Is it some kind of early 90's throwback, an examination of middling music or a sign of creative bankruptcy for the host? It just might be all three.  8)

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 04:09:59 PM »
Today's topic is to highlight the new games coming to the Switch NES and SNES online apps. It's all the non-Earthbound games we've been expecting.  :P  ;) What deep cut is going to appear next? The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle? Jelly Boy? Terranigma? (Actually, there probably are a lot of people hoping for that last one.) In any case, throw that Super Mario 3D World port in the trash because Psycho Dream is here and it's free!

And as a little plug, if you are looking for someone to play with when utilizing the SNES app then may I direct your attention to this thread for Switch SNES Online multiplayer where you may be able to partner up with someone including yours truly. What a treat, it's Uncle Moe while you eat. Topic of the day.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 10:27:28 PM »
For today's topic, I'm going to highlight the latest in Mr. Bungle's Best of Wii U threads. This one is focusing on the Turbographix content available on the Wii U shop. The man is persevering through the lack of comments and still keeping a regular schedule of articles and that should be congratulated and at least acknowledged in some way. So Topic of the Day it is. (Although admittedly, I've been waiting more for this weekend's look into the GBA titles so hopefully there's more discussion when that rolls around.)

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 08:00:21 PM »
Today's topic goes to Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury. The game seems to be the what people are talking about. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at that since 3D World got a lot of attention back when it first released but not many people bought a Wii U to play it. I guess a lot of gamers are now making up for their mistake of not buying a Wii U to play it then. Having experienced the game myself, this port of the game never seemed that big a deal since it's only been about 4 years since I thoroughly played through it. However, I seem to be in the minority on that right now.

If you missed it, here's the NWR review on the game and a smart thinking poster has bumped the old Super Mario 3D World Thread if you want to post your thoughts on the port there or just look back and see what the general mood was on the forums from the time 3D World was first announced at E3 to its initial release and reactions. Every old topic is new again!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 07:30:21 PM »
Weekend Reading!

Been debating how I want to do this so I'll try something different. There's the current topic on the Switch further securing its long streak of most consoles sold in NA for 26 consecutive months.

And if you have the time and want to see a completely different conversation, then here's a throwback to 2012 before the Wii U released with a thread on Wii U predictions. From my time reading some of it, I don't think anyone predicted it correctly.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 07:27:55 PM »
I had a different topic in mind but with a sudden deadline now here for predicting what Nintendo's 2021 is going to look like, I figured I should highlight it there for all you Nintendo Insiders who want to grow your Twitter follower count with some sweet inside scoops.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2021, 04:36:55 PM »
No doubt about it. The big topic of the day is the Nintendo Direct scheduled for today and about to launch in less than half an hour. That's when I go internet dark for awhile. I'll watch it after I get home from work and be surprised at that time. May all your Nintendo Direct Dreams come true today. They won't but dashed expectations and bitter disappointment from them is a big part of the Direct cycle too. T-t-t-t-topic of the day-y-y-y-y.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 04:47:28 PM »
Today's topic of the day is Splatoon 3 but not Splatoon 3. Whaaaaatttt? The thread in Talkback is ostensibly about the announcement of Splatoon 3 but in classic NWR fashion we have taken that topic in bold new directions as people speculate on whether the Switch is actually getting replaced sooner or later. There's some good stuff being posted there and you may want to add your thoughts into the conversation.

Or, you may want to bump this old thread on Switch 2 Speculation and get the conversation happening in a place you might expect and not hidden in a different thread. Which topic will you choose for the day? The choice is yours!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 11:12:13 PM »
Meant to post this earlier but I also expected to comment in the thread earlier first as well. In any case, both are now done just later than expect. For today's topic, I am throwing the spotlight once again on the Best of the Wii U series and the current entry of GBA games on the Wii U eShop. I know Part 2 is coming tomorrow (and be prepared for a lot M games with Mario and Mega Man) but there's still a lot to delve into with Part 1. There's a lot to delve into with the batch of games up for discussion and I know I've got more to say on it yet. Maybe some of you have thoughts on these games and have been meaning to get around to posting them so here's a reminder on that topic to do so.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2021, 07:56:13 PM »
Huh. Wow. I completely forgot about Topic of the Day for the weekend. Despite even checking on the boards, it never hit me that I hadn't posted anything. Sadly, I have a feeling not many may have noticed that either. In any case, before I forget it again for today, I'm going to go with Joshua Robin's topic on why we can't have nice things Nintendo Directs, er, I mean, the argument against general directs. Almost a decade since they began and we are still discussing this method of delivery. Why you also so controversial, Nintendo? Well, at least that makes for plenty Topics of the Day!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2021, 09:29:54 PM »
Today's topic is a feature that you may have glossed over or forgotten about. Five Zelda Games We'd Like Nintendo to Revisit. I think the takeaway here for all the people complaining about Skyward Sword coming to the Switch is that it is Justin Berube and John Rairdin's fault. See what other games Nintendo will be releasing this year for the 35th Anniversary because they told Nintendo it's what we want to play again.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2021, 07:50:09 PM »
Today's topic is more promotion for the Best of the Wii U series. In Part 2 of the GBA VC, we hit a lot of Mario and Mega Man games. Popular characters that you'd think would result in more discussion but its been kind of muted so far. Maybe these game have been talked about too much already on these forums? Not sure but I'm always interested in the takeaways from the other posters here on what their opinion is regarding all manner of games so here's hoping a few more insights can be given on these titles. Topic of the day!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2021, 11:13:58 PM »
It seems the news of the day is about... Sony?!?! With the news that they will be shutting down their Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Studio and the lackluster State of Play presentation that happened today, there's been a lot of talk on the NWR Discord about the news and a bit posted here on the forums about it as well. So, I guess that's as good a reason as any to make it Topic of the Day!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2021, 07:41:09 PM »
Have you heard about this gaming franchise called Pokemon?  ??? Apparently, it's been around for awhile but people seem to be taking notice of it and talking about it today because of some presentation that aired today in which they revealed a few games. It's got people chatting about it on Discord and.... not so much on the forums. I guess the game is too niche for the users here.  :-[ Still, the ideas for Pokemon Legends Arceus seems to be what a lot of people are looking for in a Pokemon game these days so it should be exciting news for some. Topi-topi-topi-topi-topi Topic of the Day!

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2021, 12:37:30 PM »
Since I have a habit of missing/overlooking topics I'd be interested in on the forums, I'll be making this topic a guide.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2021, 07:28:43 PM »
My neck is so stiff today. I think I was sitting too slouched back on my couch while playing XCX last night. Can that be today's topic? No? Well.... alright. I'll go with the thread I was going to promote on the weekend and then didn't get around to posting. Pokepal148 is up to his usual tricks of trying to get some community game-related action happening with his Winter of 2cold4gamez!. Check it out and sign up if you want or offer your take / suggestions about it. I may end up joining it because I haven't actually ended up buying anything after all when I thought I would be at the time it was starting.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2021, 04:20:59 PM »
I suppose for today's topic, I will highlight the Sign-up Thread for the next game of Safe Words as today is last call and then it will start tomorrow.

However, that doesn't seem like much of a topic, especially for the users who know they won't be participating. So, as a bonus, here's a link to the NWR Review of Cyber Shadow available on the Switch eShop. I think its a game that may have been lost a bit in the midst of January malaise. However, I thought I'd highlight it since it is one of only three games that NWR has rated at a 9.0 or higher in 2021. While it may not be for everyone, (and I certainly have no nostalgia for new games that look like NES games) I'm guessing there are a few gamers that would dig it based on the review.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2021, 11:55:07 PM »
I'm late! I'm late! For an important date! Unfortunately, my previous work was lost and I had to re-do some things. In any case I'm ready now. If it is March 3rd then there is always just one true topic of the day and that is remembering the launch of the Nintendo Switch. Now some of you may be wondering what a Nintendo Switch is. Well, it was a failed device from Nintendo that couldn't even sell 5 million units in its first year. Fortunately, Nintendo moved on to that and became a big presence in mobile phone gaming. None of us saw it coming except for one savvy user who was able to predict all of these events before the Switch even launched. You can read all about it in this thread here where there are no haters.