Gaming Forums > General Gaming

How do you feel about $69.99 MSRP for standard, non-special edition games?

<< < (4/4)

Adrock:
Personally, nope. I will absolutely never buy a new game at $69.99 MSRP. I have to draw the line somewhere. In the past couple years, I’ve started waiting for sales more because I drag my feet on completing games. I still haven’t finished Metroid Dread. There was no need for me to buy that at full price.

Otherwise, all modern games go on sale eventually, even Nintendo’s. Most third party games end up under $20 in less than a year. It gets dicey with DLC. Should we count it as part of the cost for the game?

Luigi Dude:
Doesn't really effect me since I usually wait for sales.  Every time the eShop has a big sale I end up buying about a dozen more games.  I guess if someone has to own every single game brand new things can get expensive, but for me, I'm usually able to buy about 3-5 games on sale for the price of one major new release.

I also find games are longer then every these days.  Even these indie games that are suppose to be like older retro games, usually have more content in them then the retro games they're trying to be like.  So unless it's a game I really want to play, I have more then enough gaming content to keep me busy waiting for price drops.

Ian Sane:
Looking at this topic a few years later, my brother has owned a Switch for about two years and the higher prices, particularly in Canada, have affected his buying habits.  There are a few games that he has had his eye on since he bought the system that he hasn't bought, partially because he always buys physical if the option is available and partially because a lot of the games he is interested in are first party games which don't typically decrease in price. But during the Wii/DS years?  If he was really interested in a new game he just bought it, unless the timing was such that it was near his birthday or Christmas and he figured he would get it as a gift.  But now there are a handful of games that he's interested in that just sit on the shelf at Walmart for $80 CAD and that's just too much for an impulse buy.

One other factor is that he is primarily a handheld gamer.  DS and 3DS games were cheaper than Wii and Wii U games.  Now there is only the Switch and it has the higher console game prices.  So in the past a Pokemon game would have a bit of a price discount just by being a handheld game.

M.K.Ultra:
So if new Switch games that are $60 in the US are $80 in Canada, how much are PS5 games that are $70 US costing in Canada?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version