Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1572232 times)

Offline furryCuds1z

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #875 on: July 07, 2011, 12:30:24 AM »
I think Gears might be a great game. I hate the stick stiff movement of the game though. It sort of reminds me of the original tomb raider. The art design while technically great looks boring and un alive. If the Wii U came out this year there is no doubt it would be one of the Top Toys For Christmas 2011 I think
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 01:05:51 AM by furryCuds1z »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: July 07, 2011, 01:14:33 AM »
Iwata's answers are brilliant.
Nintendo Q&A: Iwata "investing" in 3rd Parties
money hatting co-funding & co-marketing projects is long over due
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/110629qa/04.html
In that sense, and this is common to both the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U, we think that it is important to encourage the software publishers to think "This is a platform on which we can perform our business" in the very first stage of the platform. We think it very important to make several hits from the third-party software publishers within the first year from the release of the platform, while offering Nintendo software seamlessly. In order to achieve this goal, we have shared information about the new hardware with the software publishers earlier than we did previously and built a cooperative structure, and we are developing several titles in collaboration with these publishers. I cannot talk in detail about the names of the titles, or with which publishers we are currently collaborating, because we have not announced this information yet, but what we are aiming for with the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U is, platforms which have much more software and a wider variety of software than the former Nintendo DS or Wii. Therefore, we are thinking of creating an environment where software from other companies will become hits. Please understand that Nintendo is prepared to invest in order to make this a reality.

Better late than never.

Iwata's Answers are brilliant.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #877 on: July 07, 2011, 09:17:12 AM »

Unlike so many other business leaders, Iwata seems to keep his eyes -- and his mind -- open...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 09:32:37 AM by mac<censored> »

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: July 07, 2011, 11:05:57 AM »

Unlike so many other business leaders, Iwata seems to keep his eyes -- and his mind -- open...

Well, thats how we got the wii.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: July 07, 2011, 12:06:21 PM »
Fear or leaks led to early Wii U reveal
In the past, when Nintendo did not receive as much attention as we do now, we did not have to worry about the spread of our confidential information since it did not have any value in society, but since the Nintendo DS and the Wii created a social phenomenon, "Nintendo's next move" commands great attention and extreme news value. Therefore, although we go to great lengths to ensure that this will not happen, there are cases where, even if a person receives information under a Non-Disclosure Agreement, the information is leaked because there is great temptation. Even for the Wii U, some people may be aware, if they had been checking the Internet, that information with true and false rumors mixed together was spread on the Internet before the announcement. Therefore, as for new hardware, even if we wanted to, it is extremely challenging to realize a situation where a product is announced and then launched the next day.

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=15875

And this one about the U Launch.

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=15873
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:08:50 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: July 07, 2011, 12:45:56 PM »
Fear or leaks led to early Wii U reveal
In the past, when Nintendo did not receive as much attention as we do now, we did not have to worry about the spread of our confidential information since it did not have any value in society, but since the Nintendo DS and the Wii created a social phenomenon, "Nintendo's next move" commands great attention and extreme news value. Therefore, although we go to great lengths to ensure that this will not happen, there are cases where, even if a person receives information under a Non-Disclosure Agreement, the information is leaked because there is great temptation. Even for the Wii U, some people may be aware, if they had been checking the Internet, that information with true and false rumors mixed together was spread on the Internet before the announcement. Therefore, as for new hardware, even if we wanted to, it is extremely challenging to realize a situation where a product is announced and then launched the next day.

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=15875

And this one about the U Launch.

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=15873
I can't say I'm to surprised by this.  It is hard to keep something secret now days when you need to work with Third Parties.  The 3rd parties have no real loyalty to you and you need them more then they need you.  I like to hear when they started showing developers and getting kits out.  It might be impressive they held out that long.  In a way MS and Sony has it a little easier since their businesses are somewhat diverse making it easier to redirect.

Its good they have taken Tea-Table Destruction into account for the launch games.  So if they are having an early launch April-May then all the Nintendo games should be close to done and ready to spend a little less then a year being reworked to make launch.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Devs speak Wii U
« Reply #881 on: July 08, 2011, 11:39:21 PM »
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/gears-designer-nintendo-haters-will-talk-sht-but-will-still-buy-wii-u/
Quote from: Cliffy B (EPIC Games)
From what I’ve seen, it looks pretty cool. It seems like you can stream your game from your television directly to your [tablet] controller, so if you have irritable bowel syndrome, or a small bladder, you can still play it in the toilet. That’s great. But, you know, from what people are saying online, they’re like, 'Oh, it’s just a DreamCast, whatever.' But it’s like, 'Dude, what’s old is new sometimes.' The Power Glove [back on NES] led to the Wii, right? The Virtual Boy led to the 3DS, right? A lot of these older technologies that you forget about are [the technological predecessors]. The Kinect is a sophisticated webcam, right? So I’m just dying to see it. It’s Nintendo. I’ll buy it. I know I’ll buy it. They’ll talk sh*t but they’ll buy it.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/nintendo-wii-u-transcends-anything-before-it-says-ea-ceo/
Quote from: EA CEO
"It's a high definition platform and I love the controller. I just think it’s cool. You’re a gamer - so you’ve got the screen here [in your hands] and you’ve got the [TV] screen there and you’ve got full control. Personally, while there’s some great experiences on Move, and there’s some great experiences on Kinect, I’m not a motion control guy. It’s still too imprecise for me. I like shooting something and hitting it. I like turning a corner and feeling precision. So I still like my swizzle sticks and my shoulder buttons and my Xs and Os, etc. But there is something about having that second screen that transcends anything I’ve ever done before. I can draw a pass pattern for Madden, I can be playing an FPS up here while I’m calling in air strikes or whatever I want to do. I can give all the detailed control off the screen, I can see another part of a map... I always find it breaks the spell for me when I’m playing a game with a squad and I have to stop the action and move up for them. Now I can just move them down here [on the tablet]. I think there’s something really powerful about a second screen that I think really matters. I think we’re just beginning to realize what we can do with it and I think it’s obvious we can do a lot with it."

http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/aliens_colonial_marines/news/wii_u_texture_resolution_higher_than_ps3_xbox_360.html
Quote from: Brian Martel - Gearbox Co-Founder
"We've got the [Aliens: Colonial Marines] engine running on the Wii U, and as far as the console goes, you're going to see textures at a resolution that you haven't seen on [the current] generation,"

"[We are still] finding out what kind of final tech specs the Wii U is going to have."

"But we like the system a lot,"

"We think it's going to be a really cool stop-gap in between this generation and the next generation. We think it's really smart of Nintendo, and the fact that as a platform it's a lot more capable for hardcore first-person shooter-style gaming - for us that's fantastic."

"But the thing we're most excited about is: what can we do with the controller? So the obvious thing for us is that we can do the motion tracker [on the controller screen], or the sentry gun information - all that kind of stuff. That stuff is really sexy for us. Getting the information off the screen and onto this device is a fantastic idea, right? So can we have a HUD-less environment? Yeah, probably. That would be fantastic, right?"

It all sounds all good to me.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: July 08, 2011, 11:47:14 PM »
And now we know why most Western developers never supported the DS. From the comments they made about how innovative and new the second screen is, they were clearly never told of its existence.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline walsh_Fever

• View Profile
« Reply #883 on: July 09, 2011, 07:23:25 PM »
It's hard to critically evaluate when so little was shown. The missing element is concrete evidence (e.g., the games).

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: July 09, 2011, 09:46:59 PM »
although ,i don't know 20+ years of saying things were going to happen, and then happened is enough to go by. Nintendo has a policy about not claiming things that they can't deliver. The last time they did that was 64DD.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: July 09, 2011, 11:39:50 PM »
although ,i don't know 20+ years of saying things were going to happen, and then happened is enough to go by. Nintendo has a policy about not claiming things that they can't deliver. The last time they did that was 64DD.

Actually, they've done it quite a few times. They promised there wouldn't be a game drought on the Wii but they failed to deliver on that promise.
is your sanity...

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: July 10, 2011, 12:32:26 AM »
Or what about the lack of online GC games?  They promised 25+ titles, forced Sega to delay the launch of PSO, and then failed to produce a single game which made buying the damn thing utterly pointless.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #887 on: July 10, 2011, 01:15:37 AM »
Or what about the lack of online GC games?  They promised 25+ titles, forced Sega to delay the launch of PSO, and then failed to produce a single game which made buying the damn thing utterly pointless.
If PSO online was free that would have justified it for me right their.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: July 10, 2011, 02:52:04 AM »
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/06/17/miyamoto-wii-amp-wii-u-are-colored-white-for-all-ages-appeal.aspx?PostPageIndex=3
Quote from: Miyamoto
The circle pads that we’re using for the Wii U controllers are of a more advanced state than the one we created for Nintendo 3DS. They will perhaps have a bit more precision. The mechanism that allows those circle pads to work is still very different from, for example, the mechanism we used for the control stick on the Gamecube controller. In that sense it’s very tough to compare the precision or how the circle pads will work in that sense, but personally I feel that we’ve gotten them to a point that when you sit down and play with them you get used to them very quickly and they feel very nice.
I haven't really used the circle pads outside of a few 3DS demo units, but "better" than the 3DS implementation sounds good to me.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #889 on: July 10, 2011, 01:22:21 PM »
They need to be better than the 3DS pads. Those just don't cut it for long gaming sessions (at least for me). In fact, I'd say that I'm still adjusting to even using them.
But the impressions from the circle pads on the uPad have gotten good impressions, so I'm not overly worried. And precision isn't my biggest issue; it's comfort in the movement, which I suppose leads to a lack of precision.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: July 10, 2011, 09:07:29 PM »
:P speaking of which, im glad im not an early 3DS adopter, ill wait for the next revision and the color red

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: July 10, 2011, 09:15:30 PM »

who promised 25+ titles?  I'd like to see an actual quote. From what I can remember was there was phantasy star online for gcn announced, and that was it.

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: July 10, 2011, 09:21:21 PM »
:P speaking of which, im glad im not an early 3DS adopter, ill wait for the next revision and the color red

Hmm, why, does the 1st rev have issues?

[Probably not gonna pick one up; I don't have stereo vision, and even used in 2d-mode, the display on the 3DS seems vaguely weird...]

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: July 10, 2011, 09:45:52 PM »
well, with the original DS i had the phat one the whole time, but yeah first there was ds lite, then dsi , then ds xl. The next revision could have the slightly better wii-U joystick.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: July 10, 2011, 09:50:08 PM »

Hmm, why, does the 1st rev have issues?

[Probably not gonna pick one up; I don't have stereo vision, and even used in 2d-mode, the display on the 3DS seems vaguely weird...]

For the record, I can't see the 3D either, but I love my 3DS. I've been playing it a ton lately and am having a lot of fun with it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #895 on: July 10, 2011, 10:48:36 PM »
well, with the original DS i had the phat one the whole time, but yeah first there was ds lite, then dsi , then ds xl. The next revision could have the slightly better wii-U joystick.
Well, part (most?) of the reason that the Wii U pad is better is simply because it's taller. I don't think you'll see that on 3DS.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #896 on: July 10, 2011, 11:01:28 PM »
I think the 3DS really would shine without the 3D screen.  Its getting games like DK94 and Find Mii which make me keep going back to it.  I've logged more DS time then 3DS games with it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: July 10, 2011, 11:30:16 PM »
I own 8 3DS games, and 6 of those are worth owning. The download lineup is fantastic, but a lot of that is thanks to my never having played them. I've been putting a ton of time into the thing, and I haven't even started two of my retail games. The thing's awesome.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #898 on: July 12, 2011, 04:03:44 PM »
I don't really like the 3D in the 3DS, it is nowhere near as good as 3D with glasses. I have to have the 3D level on the system set at half or lower because otherwise it starts to look all blurry and strains my eyes (whereas I have no problem watching 3D movies with glasses).

ymeegod, I don't recall ever seeing anyone from Nintendo claim their would be 25+ online GameCube games (or any number).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: July 12, 2011, 11:22:21 PM »
From what I understand, most people have it set only halfway to three-quarters up. That's the reason it has the slider, so you can adjust it to what works for you.

J.P. Corbran