Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1590800 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #850 on: July 05, 2011, 09:59:49 PM »
Yes, it dropped some of the needless B.S. that shackles the RPG genre from evolving

Can you expand on this because I have no idea what you mean.

Massive inventory management, huge towns with little of interest to actually explore, wall upon wall of dialogue trees, combat decided more by dice rolls and stats than by skill, an overall increase in the time you spend managing the game as opposed to playing the game, etc.  It's hard to put into words, honestly, but I just see a lot of older RPG fans get so caught up in the minutiae of what RPGs have always been that they forget what the core values of the genre are that separates it from other genres: Role Playing, Exploration, and Character/Story Progression.  Everything else should be disposable if it would better the particular game overall.

So you have a game like Mass Effect 2 (and to some extent Final Fantasy XIII) come around and try to shake up the status quo a little bit, and everyone starts freaking out beyond the actual flaws of the games themselves.

I have my issues with Mass Effect 2 (like how somewhat monotonous the combat can get towards the end of the game when it's literally wave upon wave of guys rushing your chest-high walls), but it was overall a very refreshing experience for me.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 10:10:35 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: July 05, 2011, 10:23:22 PM »
I would argue that the Statistical Mathy side of things is what makes something an RPG more so then anything else. Their are plenty of Action games with RPG elements.  As soon as the game is less about character developement and complex decisions the further away it is from an RPG.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: July 05, 2011, 11:20:24 PM »
So you have a game like Mass Effect 2 (and to some extent Final Fantasy XIII) come around and try to shake up the status quo a little bit, and everyone starts freaking out beyond the actual flaws of the games themselves.

"Shake it up" by being Gears of Wars with better dialogue? You're so completely deluded.

The combat was indeed improved upon. The dialogue and the added interrupts were much better the second time around. Beyond that though? The game was a huge downgrade. The first game had pretty much everything right except for the inventory system. Completely ditching the inventory and loot system was not the solution.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: July 06, 2011, 12:10:05 AM »

"Shake it up" by being Gears of Wars with better dialogue? You're so completely deluded.

Calling it "Gears of War with better dialogue" is going more than a bit too far.  The only things those two games have in common is a general Sci-Fi setting and shooting stuff from behind cover.  Otherwise, they're completely different games with completely different objectives and different approaches to what they do.  They don't even play all the similarly unless you go with the Soldier class and only use your guns.  I was a Sentinel, so I was constantly mixing and matching powers and ordering my squadmates around to exploit enemy weaknesses.  Mass Effect 2 is all about running around doing quests, exploring towns, discovering Codex entries, leveling-up, and upgrading your gear.  Gears is about running around shooting things in a linear, set piece-based fashion.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 12:14:29 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: July 06, 2011, 01:47:58 AM »
keyboard inputs for crashes are nothing to worry about. If its being typed its in a text box, if its key controls then its no different then a standard controller. Same with mice, their basically joysticks. What causes games to crash is bad programming. Your key input shouldn't interfere with the game code. Any bug or glitch i ever see is either an expolit in the system, or something gone wonky when the game doesnt know what to do in a given situation and runs out of memory or does something bizarre.

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: July 06, 2011, 03:32:58 AM »
Gears of War with a better presentation would be great, though. If you get past the atrocious art design and dialogue, there's a damn fine game in Gears of War. That's why I enjoyed Vanquish so much.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: July 06, 2011, 04:00:11 AM »
i think the art of gears is coold, the characters all look like steroid freaks, but not Aidyn Chronicles bad.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #857 on: July 06, 2011, 10:02:07 AM »
Gears of War is clunky and slow. Epic needs to go back to Unreal Tournament.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: July 06, 2011, 10:40:53 AM »
This topic needs to go back to Wii U discussions. Please and thank you.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #859 on: July 06, 2011, 12:25:56 PM »
I bet the Wii U will get a Mass effect port...

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #860 on: July 06, 2011, 12:47:49 PM »
I bet the Wii U will get a Mass effect port...
Until it is announced lets keep this topic on track.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: July 06, 2011, 02:29:46 PM »
http://wiiublog.com/griptonite-games-is-itching-to-develop-for-the-wii-u/
It would be awesome to work on Wii U, if just to explore new ideas. That handheld screen could open up some great possibilities for a tabletop kind of experience with friends, among others.

Nintendo has always been known for its innovation and the Wii U is no exception. We’re not only tempted but itching to develop for it!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 02:32:33 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #862 on: July 06, 2011, 02:30:47 PM »
http://wiiublog.com/griptonite-games-is-itching-to-develop-for-the-wii-u/
It would be awesome to work on Wii U, if just to explore new ideas. That handheld screen could open up some great possibilities for a tabletop kind of experience with friends, among others.

Nintendo has always been known for its innovation and the Wii U is no exception. We’re not only tempted but itching to develop for it!
That would be the itching powder put on the letter.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: July 06, 2011, 02:32:41 PM »
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/07/06/the-story-behind-the-wii-u-and-darksiders-ii.aspx
Watch the video to learn what it's like to code for the console, work with Nintendo, and what the Wii U controller will bring to your experience of Darksiders II.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #864 on: July 06, 2011, 02:37:51 PM »

EDGE UK features Wii U blueprint cover, Miyamoto flexing his guns
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=162422

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #865 on: July 06, 2011, 02:41:15 PM »
I wonder if it has enough info in it to make a non-functional mock-up.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: July 06, 2011, 06:00:31 PM »
Sorry I'm not commenting, but I haven't had the time to actually read anything over the last week...

Two stories featuring comments from EAD's Katsuya Eguchi
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/309959/news/wii-u-developers-dont-have-to-use-touchscreen-nintendo/

http://www.videogamer.com/news/huge_challenges_ahead_for_wii_u_says_nintendo.html

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: July 06, 2011, 06:11:54 PM »
I certainly don't blame you for the lack of news, BnM. I think its to be expected for there to be a long drought of gaming news right after E3. The gaming industry shot its collective load back in early June, so it will probably be awhile before more major stuff emerges.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: July 06, 2011, 06:20:06 PM »

You really should play Vanquish. It's Gears, but much faster paced and with a much better presentation.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Investing in 3rd Parties. Nintendo's New Strategy for 3DS & WiiU
« Reply #869 on: July 06, 2011, 06:26:02 PM »
Nintendo Q&A: Iwata "investing" in 3rd Parties
money hatting co-funding & co-marketing projects is long over due
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/110629qa/04.html
In that sense, and this is common to both the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U, we think that it is important to encourage the software publishers to think "This is a platform on which we can perform our business" in the very first stage of the platform. We think it very important to make several hits from the third-party software publishers within the first year from the release of the platform, while offering Nintendo software seamlessly. In order to achieve this goal, we have shared information about the new hardware with the software publishers earlier than we did previously and built a cooperative structure, and we are developing several titles in collaboration with these publishers. I cannot talk in detail about the names of the titles, or with which publishers we are currently collaborating, because we have not announced this information yet, but what we are aiming for with the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U is, platforms which have much more software and a wider variety of software than the former Nintendo DS or Wii. Therefore, we are thinking of creating an environment where software from other companies will become hits. Please understand that Nintendo is prepared to invest in order to make this a reality.

Better late than never.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 06:27:35 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #870 on: July 06, 2011, 06:36:15 PM »

You really should play Vanquish. It's Gears, but much faster paced and with a much better presentation.

The trailer looked interesting. It appears to only be available for the PS360 however.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: July 06, 2011, 07:29:33 PM »
An Epic game on Wii u would be cool, but i dont think it would be gears of war, maybe Bulletstorm might make it as a Game of the Year Edition.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: July 06, 2011, 08:12:57 PM »
An Epic game on Wii u would be cool, but i dont think it would be gears of war, maybe Bulletstorm might make it as a Game of the Year Edition.

Gears of War collection with all DLC for $49.99 at the Wii U launch.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: July 06, 2011, 09:09:38 PM »

Gears of War collection with all DLC for $49.99 at the Wii U launch.

I dont think Microsoft would allow that, although it would be nice i have to admit.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: July 06, 2011, 09:16:13 PM »
It's hard to put into words, honestly, but I just see a lot of older RPG fans get so caught up in the minutiae of what RPGs have always been that they forget what the core values of the genre are that separates it from other genres: Role Playing, Exploration, and Character/Story Progression.
I read this as the things you enjoy in RPGs, not what the core values are. Two of the three things you mentioned aren't even related to gameplay, and all of them are elements found in various genres. In fact "role-playing" is technically in any game where you play a character, so it's so vague that I don't even know what you mean.

In my eyes, the core values of an RPG have always been menu-based gameplay and various types of management, including stats, abilities, characters, etc. Creating an action game with RPG-like management isn't an evolution of the RPG genre, it's an offshoot genre or a mix. Therefore, I can see why traditional RPG fans may not like action RPGs or any other type of RPG mix, since they really are quite different.