Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1588065 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #650 on: June 22, 2011, 04:23:46 PM »
Exactly.  The basics are there conceptually.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Valve on WiiU
« Reply #651 on: June 22, 2011, 05:28:17 PM »
Gabe Newell of Valve speaks on developing for WiiU
"It's a lot more powerful than the previous Gen"
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/22/valve-interested-in-wii-u-it-fits-better-into-our-scalability/
"Wii U seems to be a lot more powerful than the previous generation. It sort of fits better into the scalability in terms of graphics performance and CPU performance, so I think it'll be a lot easier for us to fit it into our scalability model. We've always loved Nintendo. Now it's a lot easier to look at Wii U and have it fit within that framework."

Steam.. Valve games or both!? Let's hope for both.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 22, 2011, 05:35:50 PM »
this is a few days(weeks?) old but.....
Konami greater emphasis on multiplatform

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjFWLEBFlOc

maybe because all the platforms are good now?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 22, 2011, 05:39:04 PM »
I know Multi-platform is  lucrative  but are all these platforms really so alike from each other that their is not training are time concerns splitting like that?  Is their no hit from the Jake of All Trade effect?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 22, 2011, 05:50:28 PM »
this is a few days(weeks?) old but.....
Konami greater emphasis on multiplatform

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjFWLEBFlOc

maybe because all the platforms are good now?

That video is from the Konami Conference the week before E3. It's were that picture of Snatcher on the wall I posted was from. You can see it in the beginning on the left just above the cubicle wall.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
SquareEnix WiiU Launch Title?
« Reply #655 on: June 22, 2011, 06:24:21 PM »
Square Enix to have a WiiU launch title?
They are currently investigating it... charges to be filed when sufficient evidence of support is found?
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/06/22/square-enix-on-dragon-quest-x-and-wii-u-launch-plans/
Square Enix said they have to consider making Dragon Quest X compatible with Wii and Wii U. Wii U, as announced at E3, is backwards compatible with Wii games.

One of the company’s executive staff added, Square Enix is in the technical investigation phase when it comes to Wii U. The company is also examining whether to support Wii U with a launch title.

NWR reported on the DQX forward compatibility, but their story didn't mention the possible Launch title.

Considering how long it takes SE to produce something from scratch... especially in HD (where are the towns!?), what could they possibly have at launch (assumed to be June 2012 at this point) if they haven't started on anything yet?
What games could they port (between SquareEnix & Eidos) that would be done sometime around mid-2012?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:20:50 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #656 on: June 22, 2011, 06:29:33 PM »
Crystal Chronicles WiiU+3DS
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 22, 2011, 06:50:13 PM »
I'd actually like another Crystal Chronicles game, and would hope it has online like Echoes of Time since it can be difficult to gather up people for that kind of game.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Mark Rein excited over Valve news!
« Reply #658 on: June 22, 2011, 07:26:50 PM »
Gabe Newell of Valve speaks on developing for WiiU
"It's a lot more powerful than the previous Gen"
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/22/valve-interested-in-wii-u-it-fits-better-into-our-scalability/
"Wii U seems to be a lot more powerful than the previous generation. It sort of fits better into the scalability in terms of graphics performance and CPU performance, so I think it'll be a lot easier for us to fit it into our scalability model. We've always loved Nintendo. Now it's a lot easier to look at Wii U and have it fit within that framework."

Steam.. Valve games or both!? Let's hope for both.

Mark Rein (Epic Games) is excited by this news too ;D
http://twitter.com/#!/MarkRein/status/83671040521285632
Quote from: twitter
Valve likes the WiiU -- the idea of having full Steam support on WiiU excites me quite a bit! Valve rocks!

Speculation or Insider Info!?
Probably speculation since he links to the same article I did above, but it would be pretty great and definitely something to get excited over.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 22, 2011, 07:38:22 PM »
Wasn't Dragon Quest Swords meant to be a Wii launch title? Yeah, a little less of that if that's what Square Enix has in mind. I'd love to see Tomb Raider at or around launch (depending on when Nintendo launches). Nintendo could use as many big name titles as they can get.

And I hope to see Valve develop for WiiU. In fact, they're an influential and innovative enough company where if they showed Nintendo what could be done with multiple tablet controllers, Nintendo might actually listen. A proof of concept Left 4 Dead 3 might do the trick...
Probably speculation since he links to the same article I did above, but it would be pretty great and definitely something to get excited over.
Please let that be true. Epic bonerz for all.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
EA optimistic about WiiU Online
« Reply #660 on: June 22, 2011, 08:39:34 PM »
Peter Moore (EA) is optimistic about Nintendo Online
http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1177162p1.html
Nintendo has recognized the future is connected. The future is online. The future is about building powerful communities. They know they have to do that, and certainly with the conversations I've been in with them I'm very optimistic. We all need to help them, which we're all willing to do. When I say "we" I mean developers and publishers bringing their best practices.

Sounds kinda like everyone is involved in creating the Nintendo Online Experience.
*speculation time (this is the expansion of an idea I posted before)*
Imagine if Nintendo Online is more of a Centralized Hub that gives you your Mii's, Username, Friendslist and general Console Connectivity features. From the Nintendo Hub, you can connect to a number of 3rd Party Online Services like EA's Origin or Valve's Steamworks.

This way Nintendo doesn't have to "become the number one online gaming company" to have the best online service. Essentially they could have everyone's online service all connected and all working together through Nintendo's Centralized Online Hub. */speculation time*

And hopefully EA has also stressed the importance of at least 2 uScreens on the same system
IGN: What was your first thought when you saw the Wii U and the tablet-style controller?

Moore: For sports games in which plays are involved, how do we utilize the controller? Madden being the most obvious example: masking you intentions against your competitor that sat on the couch who could see what plays you're calling.

and hopefully Nintendo already has the issue worked out and is more than happy to show it off in October.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: June 23, 2011, 01:14:59 AM »
Peter Moore (EA) is optimistic about Nintendo Online
http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1177162p1.html
Nintendo has recognized the future is connected. The future is online. The future is about building powerful communities. They know they have to do that, and certainly with the conversations I've been in with them I'm very optimistic. We all need to help them, which we're all willing to do. When I say "we" I mean developers and publishers bringing their best practices.

Sounds kinda like everyone is involved in creating the Nintendo Online Experience.
*speculation time (this is the expansion of an idea I posted before)*
Imagine if Nintendo Online is more of a Centralized Hub that gives you your Mii's, Username, Friendslist and general Console Connectivity features. From the Nintendo Hub, you can connect to a number of 3rd Party Online Services like EA's Origin or Valve's Steamworks.

This way Nintendo doesn't have to "become the number one online gaming company" to have the best online service. Essentially they could have everyone's online service all connected and all working together through Nintendo's Centralized Online Hub. */speculation time*

And hopefully EA has also stressed the importance of at least 2 uScreens on the same system
IGN: What was your first thought when you saw the Wii U and the tablet-style controller?

Moore: For sports games in which plays are involved, how do we utilize the controller? Madden being the most obvious example: masking you intentions against your competitor that sat on the couch who could see what plays you're calling.

and hopefully Nintendo already has the issue worked out and is more than happy to show it off in October.

I wonder if it is at all realistic to make a Wii U controller with a simpler LCD screen on it, maybe a bit smaller to cut costs for additional controllers. Something on the save wavelength as the VMU for Dreamcast. It would likely be limited in regards to what data can be passed or streamed on it but it could be a potential balance to an overly pricey controller. Not sure if it is feasible or not, but it is an idea to bounce around.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: June 23, 2011, 05:03:00 AM »
Well Nintendo's Channel system is genius, just imagine a Nintendo Shop Channel, an EA Channel, a Steam Channel, a Sqaure Enix Channel, not to mention the Wii U will be much much easier to port games due to its power and timing. If Wii U is out by the summer it puts Nintendo in a premium position.

Also Imagine Netflix Channel, Coupled with Hulu Chanel, and HBO and Showtime channels? Who the **** would need cable?

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: June 23, 2011, 01:18:46 PM »
Well Nintendo's Channel system is genius, just imagine a Nintendo Shop Channel, an EA Channel, a Steam Channel, a Sqaure Enix Channel, not to mention the Wii U will be much much easier to port games due to its power and timing. If Wii U is out by the summer it puts Nintendo in a premium position.

Also Imagine Netflix Channel, Coupled with Hulu Chanel, and HBO and Showtime channels? Who the **** would need cable?

Individual communities by developers could introduce cross platform multiplayer.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: June 23, 2011, 03:52:40 PM »
Well Nintendo's Channel system is genius, just imagine a Nintendo Shop Channel, an EA Channel, a Steam Channel, a Sqaure Enix Channel

I shouldn't have to enter a channel to make use of what should be system-wide online features.  I certainly shouldn't have to lock myself out of interaction with friends in EA games while I play a Valve game on the Steam Channel.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 23, 2011, 03:57:11 PM »
The only way those Hubs would work is if WiiU was the Trillian/Gaim/Adium of Player sign ons.  So you sign in with you Club Nintendo account on your WiiU and if you options are setup right you are now also on EA, Steam, etc. as well through their Nintendo adapter.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 23, 2011, 05:59:19 PM »
my gmail is linked to my youtube, i dont see why they can't do linkage

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #667 on: June 23, 2011, 06:28:15 PM »
The signal sign-on should be the easy part.  Its getting all those systems to play nice with WiiU toast, chat system, other components of the system, etc.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Mark Rein still tweeting about WiiU
« Reply #668 on: June 23, 2011, 08:12:46 PM »
Mark Rein (Epic Games) is excited by this news too ;D
http://twitter.com/#!/MarkRein/status/83671040521285632
Quote from: twitter
Valve likes the WiiU -- the idea of having full Steam support on WiiU excites me quite a bit! Valve rocks!

Speculation or Insider Info!?

Mark Rein is still tweeting about WiiU
Quote from: Twitter
RT @developonline Valve raises interest in Wii U development http://bit.ly/kuy5Np <--I'm very excited about Steam potentially coming to WiiU

Yes @Ste_Hicky @stephentotilo SD cards are fast, cheap and portable. I use a USB stick as my primary Xbox360 storage device now. Works well.

Epic must have something nice planned for WiiU

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: June 23, 2011, 08:42:08 PM »
wow this is a turnaround, i do recall Mark Rein talking **** about Wii.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: June 24, 2011, 02:52:43 AM »
The important developers are actually happy and still people are predicting doom and gloom in that other "same old mess" thread. This is the turning point for nintendo, not just in sales but in the mind of the people!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 24, 2011, 04:20:44 AM »
wow this is a turnaround, i do recall Mark Rein talking **** about Wii.

Well in the case of the Wii, it was the last home console this gen to come out on the market and was much weaker then all existing competitors.  In the case of the Wii U though, it'll be the first home console on the market and for the time being, will be more powerful then all of it's competitors.  So I'd imagine that's why all these tech guys like Mark Rein would be actually exited about it for now, since unlike the Wii, the Wii U is actually the latest in powerful home consoles.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Monolithsoft is making a WiiU game.
« Reply #672 on: June 24, 2011, 07:55:15 AM »
We knew they were working on something... now we know what it's for.
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/24/monolith_wiiu/?
Xenoblade developer Monolithsoft has revealed that it is developing a Wii U game. The studio updated its job solicitation page today with notice that it is seeking staff to work on a project for Nintendo's next generation hardware.

This actually isn't the first we've heard about this mysterious project from Monolith, although it is the first time the Wii U name has been associated with the game. The studio has been seeking staff for a new project since last year. Back in June, it updated the employment page, stating that the mystery project was expanding.

Positions mentioned at the recruitment page are mostly unchanged from then. The studio is seeking programmers (those with Havok and Shader experience), planners, 3D CG artists, 2D designers (those with character and mecha design experience), effect designers, motion designers, and office staff.

Let's hope NoA doesn't block this one too...
or maybe it's Xenoblade HD just for us Americans.... yeah right.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 08:51:57 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 24, 2011, 08:49:12 AM »
We knew they were working on something... now we know what it's for.
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/24/monolith_wiiu/?
Xenoblade developer Monolithsoft has revealed that it is developing a Wii U game. The studio updated its job solicitation page today with notice that it is seeking staff to work on a project for Nintendo's next generation hardware.

This actually isn't the first we've heard about this mysterious project from Monolith, although it is the first time the Wii U name has been associated with the game. The studio has been seeking staff for a new project since last year. Back in June, it updated the employment page, stating that the mystery project was expanding.

Positions mentioned at the recruitment page are mostly unchanged from then. The studio is seeking programmers (those with Havok and Shader experience), planners, 3D CG artists, 2D designers (those with character and mecha design experience), effect designers, motion designers, and office staff.

Let's hope NoA block this one too...
or maybe it's Xenoblade HD just for us Americans.... yeah right.
Would it upset your Core that would still buy Nintendo games anyway?  If the answer is Yes then that is what NoA will do.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: June 24, 2011, 09:29:03 AM »
Mark Rein trashed the Wii because he couldn't make money on it based on Epic Games' business model of selling engines for HD consoles. I still don't know why people got upset about that. That's exactly what I would expect most people to do.

I'm not wasting my time getting excited about Monolith Soft developing anything if Nintendo of America won't bring their games over. I may not have bought Disaster Day of Crisis, but I would have definitely bought Soma Bringer and Xenoblade.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:30:38 AM by Adrock »