Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1587625 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #550 on: June 17, 2011, 10:04:35 AM »
I thought it was confirmed that the tablet controller does not have a processor inside because the console is streaming data to it. The controller itself is useless without the console which totally makes sense so it doesn't directly overlap with 3DS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 17, 2011, 10:42:24 AM »
That a 40-50 dollar remote. Double that, and see if gamers will still buy it. But you must have missed the part in my post saying NINTENDO PLANS ON SELLING THE CONTROLLER BY ITSELF and is ASKING HOW CAN THEY MAKE IT WORTH THE HIGHER price. The wiimote prob costs 25 dollars to make. This one prob costs more, anywhere from 50-60 dollars. If they sell it for 70 they make ten, 80 they make 20. but if they want the same profit margin then it will cost closer to 100 that I suggested.

You obviously missed the part of my post where I addressed value of a second controller by making the software. You also obviously missed the part of my post where I state that the current cost of a Wiimote is $6.

And you need to read your source.

Here are the complete statistics of Wii controllers sold in the U.S. as supplied by NPD:

• 30.41 million included with the Wii hardware
  • 12.92 million sold with  Wii Play
  • 18.56 million white versions sold separately
  • 2.44 million black versions sold separately
  • 467,500 pink versions sold separately
  • 465,200 blue versions sold separately

They sold the most with hardware. I said that would happen. They sold second amount white. Considering 30 million wii's were sold, it probably was people buying a second controller to play with friends. Third most bundled with a game. Again, I said that would happen.

I read the source, and put an "extra" in my post, it doesn't change my point. Point is that there were more wiimotes sold w/o the console than with the console. 30 million with the console and 34 w/o the console. If they sell it separately people will buy it, bundle it with compelling software, people will buy it. That was my whole point.

Also if you factor in how much profit was made on the system controller bundle (Adrock says $160 w/ includes the $6 wiimote) then you can still count it as 65 million wiimotes sold with an average of slightly more than 2 wiimotes per system or 1.13 "extra" wiimotes per system.

I doubt Nintendo is going to sell 30 million. Look how many the Wii sold
here. That smaller amount will mean less people buying them for their friends to pla with, especially if Nintendo is not going to force people to buy another one at launch to play with their friends. So you have to consider that, as well.
Once again, bundle it with a compelling game and people will buy it. look at WiiFit which cost $100 w/ a balance board. It is one of the highest selling games of the generation. 100 US DOLLARS...!!!
I'll bet that balance board never cost more than $25 to make and it's definitely no more than a $30 game.

And the whole argument in your post was that the controller would cost too much and Nintendo would have to sell it for too high a price so why bother if they can't guarantee people would buy it.

The wiimote has never cost Nintendo over $25 with nunchuck or M+ and yet they were charging upto $70-$80 per complete controller. They have consistently been making a ~66.6% profit margin on these controllers since day 1. It's where a LARGE portion of their money banks from this generation has come from. The uMote will not cost anywhere near $100 to make. It sounds more like Nintendo doesn't want to charge upwards of $100 for just to maintain that 66.6% profit margin.

And I'm gonna quote myself here on potential cost of the uMote
I don't know how much the streaming tech cost that they are using*, but the new uMote uses all the same or similar stuff to a Wiimote, which only cost Nintendo $6 to make.
add in the cost of a screen @ ~$25 and a rechargeable battery($10-$15)
and we are talking about maybe $45-$50 before the streaming tech.

Are you assuming the streaming tech is close to $100 or is your number just that factoring in the same profit margin from the wiimote of 66.6%?

*AMD's streaming tech is based off of WirelessN and I'm sure the controller only has a receiver

My point is that there is no reason to not sell the controller separately or not enable multiple controller support from Day1.
If it's an extra transmitter being added to the console to enable at minimum 2 player, then eat the initial cost increase for increase functionality till the price comes down. They will probably still turn a profit on the hardware and mulitply that ten fold on xtra controllers alone.
If it's just a matter of having to sell a $70-$80 stand alone controller... well, they've already done that and it sold just fine. They feel they need to charge $100 to make a decent profit on it, then just bundle it with a game (uPlay) and let the market decide if it's worth the money. To purposely gimp your functionality only gives a window of opportunity to the competition.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:14:22 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 17, 2011, 11:17:23 AM »
I thought it was confirmed that the tablet controller does not have a processor inside because the console is streaming data to it. The controller itself is useless without the console which totally makes sense so it doesn't directly overlap with 3DS.

It was. Iwata said it himself in that last interview I posted.
Everything is processed console side and then transmitted to the controller wirelessly.
Quote from: poor Google Translation
Wii U is to create an image in the body, and fly by radio to the controller of Wii U.Body produces an image that has led to the power constraints, power consumption is not significant.So the image sent to the screen controller can be rich than handheld games.
"WiiU creates the image and sends it over wirelessly to the controller. Console uses it's power to create image, but power usage is not an issue on the console. Because of that you can display beautiful graphics on the controller."
-that's my re-translation of that google translation.

He also says
Quote from: slightly better Google translation
(Controller) is an issue of cost per unit at current Wii U, the connection is the assumption that only one controller, and I think the concept of software product configuration.
"Cost per controller is an issue right now and we built the system on the assumption that you would only use one per system, and that is the focus of our current software"
-another re-translation by me"

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 17, 2011, 11:30:28 AM »
Updated Dev Kits to be sent out by end of July
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-17-new-wii-u-hardware-for-devs-in-june-july
The next generation of Wii U prototype hardware will be sent to developers in June or July, Eurogamer can reveal.

When those kits arrive, there will be "more information" about unknown aspects such as raw machine power and online capabilities, Sega Europe MD of development Gary Dunn explained.

"It's still a little early. There's another generation of prototype hardware coming out in June or July that's going to give us more information," Dunn told us, adding that he "better not say" how old the current Wii U hardware Sega has is.

Sega's initial, "very early doors" reaction to Wii U is that "we're finding it to be quite powerful".

Hopefully this means that Devs will have games that Nintendo are actually not too embarrassed to show at the upcoming Trade Shows later this year.

And hopefully all of those games use the new hardware/controller in new ways that can only be done on WiiU at the moment.
However, Dunn did dismiss the notion that Sega will port PS3 and 360 to Wii U in standard, basic form.

"No, no we wouldn't [do that]," reacted Dunn. "Clearly the new control mechanic allows some asymmetrical gameplay which we're quite excited about - to leverage that when we're looking to put any game on that system."

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #554 on: June 17, 2011, 04:10:26 PM »
Reggie talked about the Wii U a little bit with the Wall Street Journal.
Here is the link.
http://online.wsj.com/video/nintendo-pres-stock-drop-not-because-of-new-wiiu/9E9F9847-14A4-4E9F-A626-39561C679B66.html

Here is some details from the interview.
- Nintendo's biggest challenge is competing for time
- Reggie doesn't believe game prices need to come down to compete with App Store titles
- Nintendo believes they can reach Wii users on Wii U by keeping their pick-up-and-play attitude
- Nintendo will still make games that use Wiimote/Wiimote Plus on Wii U
- Wii U will have a price point that can get 25 to 30 million units sold
- Nintendo will look at the experiences the consumer will have with Wii U at launch to pick the best value/price
- Nintendo will work with third parties to offer matchmaking, social networking and other online features that those devs want
- Nintendo's online for Wii U will be much more robust and broader than what's offered today
- Nintendo wants the consumer to have new experiences every day on Wii U and 3DS. They want the consumer to touch the platform every day
- Nintendo has to make sure they make their security systems as robust as possible to avoid a Sony situation
- Consumers that haven't bought a 3DS yet say they want the big-name brands and digital content experiences before they jump in
- eShop has had over a million transactions thus far
- 3DS sales are on the upswing
- Nintendo is confindent that they'll reverse the 3DS trends they've seen thus far
- Nintendo thinks they can play a bigger role in wading through entertainment experiences
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: June 17, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »
It really sucks that the media has already given 3ds this stigma when its been out for 2 and half months. What sucks is i dont have one, and Ocarina of Time makes me want one. Even though its a remake, it looks pretty.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 17, 2011, 05:27:28 PM »
I was messing around in GIMP for a little bit and decided to edit the WiiU

my skills are obviously very limited.

Modifications: extended flap to cover "sync" button, added WiiU logo & crudely done Blue LED's in disc slot
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 05:34:41 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: June 17, 2011, 05:36:05 PM »
nice, looking like that makes the box more attractive, it would be a shame if they dropped the blue light Wii had.

Offline MorbidGod

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 17, 2011, 06:10:37 PM »
Man, I just wrote an entire post, well thought out, and I deleted it. Oh well. I have to make this one quick, running out of time.

My posts were not about Nintendo shouldn't sell the controller by themselves. The point I was trying to make is that Nintendo shouldn't have to loose their profit margin by selling them by themselves. My numbers were incorrect, but only because of lack of sources and it not really making a difference in the point. I didn't expect someone to get stuck in the numbers, and that was my fault.

So lets use your numbers. Right now you can buy a new Wiimote for like $30.

That would mean that right now, Nintendo is enjoying a $24 profit margin. These are not my numbers, these are yours and Amazons.

So with your numbers, I believe you said the WiiPad costs about $24. So then they should sell the WiiPad for at least $48. However, I still believe it costs more. The screen alone would be high. And even without a processor, the thing has to cost quite a bit more then the Wiimote. So let say it costs 40 dollars to make, then they should see it at $64. They should keep what ever profit margin they need to stay afloat. They have a percentage in their minds of what they should make, and Nintendo being a business that has last for over 100 years (almost 122 exactly) they know how to run a business better then you or I. Yes, Nintendo did indeed start as a company in Sept. 1889. Whatever that percentage is, it will not change with the Wii U. Unless they believe they will sell more WiiPads. However, as I previous quoted, Nintendo is not planning on requiring gamers to buy more then one WiiPad right now. They might in the future, with an unspecified amount of time. For your benefit, I will post this quote again. Please indeed read it.

"In the future, we may look at what other opportunities there are for gameplay and, how having two of those controllers might create fun or interesting new styles of play, but of course in doing that, it would require a consumer to purchase an additional controller. Therefore, we would need to carefully consider how we could create such an experience and, potentially, how we could ensure that there would be enough value within that experience for the consumer to accept that cost and make that purchase."

Enough value of something they do not sell? How can they consider having games that require you to play with a friend that has a WiiPad when they do not sell WiiPad's. This implies they plan on selling WiiPads. Sure, it does not go out and state it -- but they do plan on selling it. They just don't plan on games making your spend 541.991 dollars within the launch windows to enjoy the games you want to play.

So thats been my point all along. Nintendo should keep the profit they enjoy.

1: This number was created by an estimated cost of $349.99 for a Wii U and 3 WiiPads sold at $64. It could be more or less at final cost of ownership for a Wii U, and is not a prediction. More of a statement that Nintendo doesn't want to take all your money, at least not in 2012 and not without justifying it first.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 17, 2011, 06:32:32 PM »
lose....loose lips sink ships

i still predict if Nintendo does sell it alone they will sell it for $80, they still need to justify selling the Wiimote combo for $50. Also, no way 3rd party manufacturers are going to be able to get the same price point Nintendo does.

Also, ad 3rd party Wii motes to BlackNmilds numbers for adoption rate.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 06:37:03 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 17, 2011, 06:36:31 PM »
nice, looking like that makes the box more attractive, it would be a shame if they dropped the blue light Wii had.

How about a green light to differentiate it from the Wii?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 17, 2011, 06:38:04 PM »
first no, because those are xbox colors, Red or Purple would be acceptable though. Purple would be cool, but not with white, purple and black yes.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 17, 2011, 06:53:27 PM »
I would actually be happy if they ditched that blue light.  I have my Wii in my bedroom and when it auto-updates that stupid blinking blue light wakes me up.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #563 on: June 17, 2011, 06:58:43 PM »
You know that you can turn it off in the WC24 settings?
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 17, 2011, 07:10:21 PM »
BnM, could you edit the console to be black?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 17, 2011, 07:23:15 PM »
BnM, could you edit the console to be black and mild?

Fixed that for you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 17, 2011, 07:36:52 PM »

No. my skillz are really limited. sorry. maybe The Perm can do it though.
I might give it a try later. I'm still teaching myself the program.

@Morbid
these are the numbers I said you had wrong
If they only make 20 dollars per WiiPad they would make $20,000 per 10,000 WiiPad's sold.
$20 x 10,000 = $200,000.

Also the numbers I had for the uMote were over $40 manufactuing. I expect them to sell it for anywhere between $65-$80 should they sell them separately.

And my point was that a profit is a profit. You're not gonna make any profit if you don't sell extra controllers. So not selling any controllers is just bad business when we know for a fact that lots of them could be sold at a profit provided compelling software is there to make use of them.

you point
Enough value of something they do not sell? How can they consider having games that require you to play with a friend that has a WiiPad when they do not sell WiiPad's. This implies they plan on selling WiiPads. Sure, it does not go out and state it -- but they do plan on selling it. They just don't plan on games making your spend 541.991 dollars within the launch windows to enjoy the games you want to play.

They don't sell but they plan on selling....? ok.
You keep saying they don't sell and not gonna sell but then say they plan on selling.... make up your mind.
I never said anything about the launch window. I'm talking about Nintendo not gimping their machine because they didn't plan on games using a 2nd, 3rd or 4th uMote from the beginning and therefore not having functionality when those games do come around.
You also said no one would buy extra controllers. I countered that with WiiFit and uPlay. So I don't know what kinda point you are trying to argue, but as long as the controllers don't cost over $100 (which I don't think they will...) then software is all they need to sell extra's. Wiimote w/ nunchuck + Motion Plus has been costing upwards of $60 since birth of the Wii, charging an extra $20 on top of that(gotta preserve those profit margins) for a uMote is not too much to ask.

and once again, I'm not saying that 2nd uMotes need to be out at launch, but the option to use them needs to be there from the get-go and selling them bundled or stand-alone will obviously be at a profit, so why not do it?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:04:15 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 17, 2011, 08:23:32 PM »
The best bet is not to sell them immediately..than that way they avoid the criticism, then when they actually release the controllers, the bitching isn't about how much money they cost, the bitching is about how they didn't release them in the first place.

Offline MorbidGod

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 17, 2011, 09:35:05 PM »

No. my skillz are really limited. sorry. maybe The Perm can do it though.
I might give it a try later. I'm still teaching myself the program.

@Morbid
these are the numbers I said you had wrong
If they only make 20 dollars per WiiPad they would make $20,000 per 10,000 WiiPad's sold.
$20 x 10,000 = $200,000.

Also the numbers I had for the uMote were over $40 manufactuing. I expect them to sell it for anywhere between $65-$80 should they sell them separately.

And my point was that a profit is a profit. You're not gonna make any profit if you don't sell extra controllers. So not selling any controllers is just bad business when we know for a fact that lots of them could be sold at a profit provided compelling software is there to make use of them.

They don't sell but they plan on selling....? ok.
You keep saying they don't sell and not gonna sell but then say they plan on selling.... make up your mind.
I never said anything about the launch window. I'm talking about Nintendo not gimping their machine because they didn't plan on games using a 2nd, 3rd or 4th uMote from the beginning and therefore not having functionality when those games do come around.
You also said no one would buy extra controllers. I countered that with WiiFit and uPlay. So I don't know what kinda point you are trying to argue, but as long as the controllers don't cost over $100 (which I don't think they will...) then software is all they need to sell extra's. Wiimote w/ nunchuck + Motion Plus has been costing upwards of $60 since birth of the Wii, charging an extra $20 on top of that(gotta preserve those profit margins) for a uMote is not too much to ask.

and once again, I'm not saying that 2nd uMotes need to be out at launch, but the option to use them needs to be there from the get-go and selling them bundled or stand-alone will obviously be at a profit, so why not do it?

"In the future, we may look at what other opportunities there are for gameplay and, how having two of those controllers might create fun or interesting new styles of play, but of course in doing that, it would require a consumer to purchase an additional controller. Therefore, we would need to carefully consider how we could create such an experience and, potentially, how we could ensure that there would be enough value within that experience for the consumer to accept that cost and make that purchase." http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1177013p1.html

This is what the President of Nintendo said. And I was asking you a question, let me ask you again: How can they consider in the future to require you to buy more then one WiiPads if they are not selling them? Is that possible? Your point seems to be, or one of them, that Nintendo is "gimping" themselves by not allowing it -- and Nintendo in that interview (for the first time, I might add) clearly states it is possible and that in the future games will be made BY NINTENDO that requires multiple WiiPads for multiplayer gameplay. I believe third party developers -- such as, you know, EA Sports -- will develop games requiring multiple WiiPads. I think that because if they want you to choose your plays with the WiiPad, then you can't do that without multiple WiiPad with local multiplayer gaming (one console, multiple people).

And still hung up on those numbers, are ya? If you said forty, then add forty to 24 and you get 84 dollars. Thats with the same profit margin, and that would make total cost of ownership 601.991. My incorrect numbers does not change my point. And I never said people won't buy more WiiPads, not specifically. I said this:

Most people start out not buying many controllers. To this day, I only bought two and the one that came with the system, and I don't have nunchucks to go with those Wiimotes, either. If they only make 20 dollars per WiiPad they would make $20,000 per 10,000 WiiPad's sold.

I wasn't stating, specifically, that people won't buy the WiiPads. I was agreeing with the person I quoted, that people don't go out and buy multiple controllers for the system when the first buy it. It's a gradual thing. It's something they do when they have money and or the need. I never bought another Xbox 360 controller the entire time I had it because I never had the need. Some people won't have the need to buy another WiiPad, so they simply won't. That won't be the majority, and it isn't an excuse not to sale WiiPad's. In fact, Nintendo is not using it as an excuse. They are simply stating that in the first year or so -- maybe longer, he said "future2" (he as in the big head huncho himself, Satoru Iwata) -- they will have multiplayer games using Wiimote and WiiPad combo's. Or classic controller and WiiPad combo's. Or WiiPad and Motion Board combo. You get the picture.

For reference, I will show you the specific post I was replying to.

Yeah, I can see how one can read it that way, but doesn't that go without saying? How many games require more than one controller? It's an odd way of phrasing it. A more appropriate way to say it would be, "WiiU will support multiple [tablet controllers] but we are not planning on releasing any games that require more than one. There will always be an option to use the Classic controller for multiplayer games as we do not want to force our consumers to own more than [the tablet controller] that comes with the console."

What it sounds like Iwata is saying is, "WiiU is perfectly capable of supporting multiple [tablet controllers] but we are not including this functionality due to cost," which, let's be honest, is total bullshit. I don't need to own 4 Wii remotes (and I don't), but I can if I want and it's certainly very expensive especially when coupled with nunchucks. Nintendo never asked anyone to invest that much money. However, the possibility is there and Nintendo let the consumer decide.

I remember reading how Nintendo originally didn't think of the nunchuck for the Wii and that the idea came from Retro Studios. Apparently, they seriously considered the Wii remote without the nunchuck. Holy lack of foresight, Batman. That said, and if Nintendo is currently planning on not supporting multiple tablet controllers since the quote is rather unclear, I hope Retro or any number of 3rd parties steps in and explains why that would be a terrible idea.

And I know you didn't say anything about the launch window, never said you did. I did, however, quote a President of a company called Nintendo who talked about the future in terms of Wii U2. I assume when he said in the future, he was not talking about in 2012 Nintendo will require you to buy more than one WiiPad to play a game. And I assume when he was talking present tense he was not talking about now, considering no one has the option to buy Wii U or a WiiPad right now since ... you know ... Nintendo has not released it yet. I could be mistaken, of course.

Now finally ...

I never said the option wouldn't be there, and I never said they shouldn't, so why ask me something we obviously agree on?

1: This number was created by an estimated cost of $349.99 for a Wii U and 3 WiiPads sold at $84. It could be more or less at final cost of ownership for a Wii U, and is not a prediction. More of a statement that Nintendo doesn't want to take all your money, at least not in 2012 and not without justifying it first.

2: IGN: Wii U Controller Price Tag Problems
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:37:25 PM by MorbidGod »

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #569 on: June 17, 2011, 11:55:18 PM »

Yup. I could go for that. :)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline MorbidGod

• View Profile
« Reply #570 on: June 17, 2011, 11:58:31 PM »

Yup. I could go for that. :)

I like that too man!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 18, 2011, 12:00:43 AM »
I would actually be happy if they ditched that blue light.  I have my Wii in my bedroom and when it auto-updates that stupid blinking blue light wakes me up.

You could toss a towel over it when not in use. That should block the blue light, and it adds the additional benefit of keeping dust off it as well.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 18, 2011, 04:01:44 AM »
"In the future, we may look at what other opportunities there are for gameplay and, how having two of those controllers might create fun or interesting new styles of play, but of course in doing that, it would require a consumer to purchase an additional controller. Therefore, we would need to carefully consider how we could create such an experience and, potentially, how we could ensure that there would be enough value within that experience for the consumer to accept that cost and make that purchase." http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1177013p1.html

This is what the President of Nintendo said. And I was asking you a question, let me ask you again: How can they consider in the future to require you to buy more then one WiiPads if they are not selling them? Is that possible? Your point seems to be, or one of them, that Nintendo is "gimping" themselves by not allowing it -- and Nintendo in that interview (for the first time, I might add) clearly states it is possible and that in the future games will be made BY NINTENDO that requires multiple WiiPads for multiplayer gameplay. I believe third party developers -- such as, you know, EA Sports -- will develop games requiring multiple WiiPads. I think that because if they want you to choose your plays with the WiiPad, then you can't do that without multiple WiiPad with local multiplayer gaming (one console, multiple people).

First of all, you can quit reposting the same quote over and over again. I'm sure I saw it the first time it was posted in this thread, which I'm pretty sure wasn't by you. Looking at future opportunities does not mean that they are going to include the functionality or even support it. The console has not been finalized and "technically possible" does not equal "actually included/feature supported" in the final hardware.

And still hung up on those numbers, are ya?
I simply corrected your math. I'm not sure what you are arguing.
Wii = $250, WiiPlay = $50, WiiFit = $100, Nunchuck = $20 , WiiSports Resort w/ MP = $50, extra Motion Plus = $20 / total = $490
Yay more numbers!!! Wait... Nintendo expects me spend how much to enjoy games on my Wii? And I have to buy it all on DAY 1!!!? Oh Noes!!!

For reference, I will show you the specific post I was replying to.

Good post from Adrock....

And I know you didn't say anything about the launch window, never said you did. I did, however, quote a President of a company called Nintendo who talked about the future in terms of Wii U2. I assume when he said in the future, he was not talking about in 2012 Nintendo will require you to buy more than one WiiPad to play a game. And I assume when he was talking present tense he was not talking about now, considering no one has the option to buy Wii U or a WiiPad right now since ... you know ... Nintendo has not released it yet. I could be mistaken, of course.

In the future means in the future. It could mean next year, next week, 6 months from now.
If they are gonna look into it in the future then that means that they didn't have any plans for it in the present, which means that the hardware may not be currently setup to support 2-4 uMote controllers.

Look at some of my previous post where I detail out some of the possible tech that they are using. The wireless TV tech from AMD and similar tech from other companies all can stream to around 6 or so other devices, but they are designed to stream the same media to all those same devices. Nintendo needs to stream different media to all the controllers and display something completely different from all of that on the TV at the same time.
"Technically" being able to support the 4 controllers is because the GPU has Eyefinity tech which can support up to 6 separate screens. The X factor is can their custom version of the streaming tech pump independent media out to the individual screens. or do they need a single transmitter per controller which might increase cost of the console itself.

Now finally ...

I never said the option wouldn't be there, and I never said they shouldn't, so why ask me something we obviously agree on?

Because your argument makes no sense. You assume that when Iwata says the future, that he's not talking about next year, but instead (I think)many years in the future. He never came out and said that the WiiU can support 4 players with individual uMotes, he said that technically the WiiU can support multiple uMotes. Well technically the WiiU could probably re-render Wii games in HD resolutions, but that doesn't mean it's gonna support the feature.
My whole argument is that Nintendo needs to make sure that the WiiU can support the extra controllers now even if they don't plan to sell them separately till some later date.

Just like Adrock said, at some point before Wii release, Nintendo was looking into the gameplay usefulness of a nunchuck, but only after if was requested by one of their own. Well, now we are all requesting multiple uMote support built in, even if that means only 2 can be supported.

The most intriguing use of having a personal screen on your game controller is local multiplayer where you opponent in the same room can see what you are doing. It's quite obvious that that would be a major feature to show off and there has to be a reason that Nintendo didn't even mention it until asked.
Asymmetrical local multiplayer sounds fine and all, but I'm not gonna trust that symmetrical multi will automatically be included because "technically" the GPU is capable of handling multiple screens or that Nintendo is "looking into it" or maybe will plan for games that support multiple uMotes. You make that assumption if you want, but Nintendo is known to get some of the most obvious things to get right very wrong and I really don't want this to be that thing.

Now maybe they come out in October with a definitive statement and a demonstration of multiple uMotes working in tandem in a single game, but until then my argument stands.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 18, 2011, 05:03:14 AM »
No More Wii U details till next year?
http://www.torontothumbs.com/2011/06/17/e3-2011-coverage-nintendo-chats-with-toronto-thumbs/
Interview with Nintendo Canada!? Ahh, what do they know anyhow...
In terms of power, where does the Wii U stand relative to the Wii? PS3? XBox 360?

We are not focused on the tech specs (ever); however Wii U will be a stronger system than Wii and will be able to do much more than we have ever done, and it will be HD. We will leave the rest of the details about Wii U until next year but know that our focus is on the experience you get playing our system, not the technical details that get us there.

Offline MorbidGod

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 18, 2011, 10:17:01 AM »
In the future means in the future. It could mean next year, next week, 6 months from now.
If they are gonna look into it in the future then that means that they didn't have any plans for it in the present, which means that the hardware may not be currently setup to support 2-4 uMote controllers.

Because your argument makes no sense. You assume that when Iwata says the future, that he's not talking about next year, but instead (I think)many years in the future. He never came out and said that the WiiU can support 4 players with individual uMotes, he said that technically the WiiU can support multiple uMotes. Well technically the WiiU could probably re-render Wii games in HD resolutions, but that doesn't mean it's gonna support the feature.
My whole argument is that Nintendo needs to make sure that the WiiU can support the extra controllers now even if they don't plan to sell them separately till some later date.

I am reading that interview as saying that, in the future, we are looking into making games that create enough value to justify buying more then one WiiPad. Thats what he is saying. And this is not the interview where he says technically it is possible. In fact, if you follow the source, you can see that is not mentioned. He mentioned in the interview, that regardless of the technical aspect, we are focusing on the game experainces we can create NOW with one controller and in the future, they might require more then one controller. They can't consider that unless it is actually possible to have more then one controller.

And Reggie did state that the Wii U can have more then one controller.