Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1572421 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #475 on: June 14, 2011, 09:47:50 PM »
See I don't find those graphics impressive at all. Sure they have all sorts of high textures, but it looks so damn ugly.

Plus, I really don't see how those graphics will improve gameplay.

EDIT: Give BnM a job already! And let him get a press pass.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 14, 2011, 09:50:39 PM »
We're waiting on translation to know for sure, but word in the staff email thread is that the GPU is at least technically capable of four simultaneous video streams.

you mean like I mentioned in this post?
WiiU using modified R770 w/ Eyefinity & DX 10.1

in which I quoted Engadget who sourced Game Watch?

You just keep giving me reasons to want to ban you.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 14, 2011, 09:51:40 PM »
I'm more worried about the wireless technology's ability to support streaming graphics to multiple tablets than the gpu's.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 14, 2011, 10:07:43 PM »
See I don't find those graphics impressive at all. Sure they have all sorts of high textures, but it looks so damn ugly.
The demo lacks the polish and charm of a AAA game, but it's not supposed to have those things. It's meant to show off all the look-what-I-can-do effects. And it totally does, rather shamelessly.
Plus, I really don't see how those graphics will improve gameplay.
True, they don't but again, they're not supposed to. Graphics do, however, have a tendency to sell games even shitty ones and that's why they're still important. What a game looks like is the first thing people notice. Ultimately, a game is judged by how fun it is, but it might as well look as pretty as possible, graphically and artistically.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 14, 2011, 10:12:08 PM »
We're waiting on translation to know for sure, but word in the staff email thread is that the GPU is at least technically capable of four simultaneous video streams.

you mean like I mentioned in this post?
WiiU using modified R770 w/ Eyefinity & DX 10.1

in which I quoted Engadget who sourced Game Watch?

You just keep giving me reasons to want to ban you.

I'm trying to make your job easier. Since you're the only staffer to regularly read the forums, I'm sure you could find a way to make that beneficial to you....

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: June 14, 2011, 11:04:14 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKPPdgBK3r8

this was a game released on ps3...so all reports indicated the graphics will be better than that?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 15, 2011, 12:22:38 AM »

What now Chozo?
What now?

Looks like we're F---ed!

Seriously though, that picture makes for another good metaphor because if its like what BnM said where the chip is from 2008 but with modern improvements added then its kinda like that picture. The T-Rex in the cockpit represents the old 2008 chip, and the airplane represents the modern improvements that Nintendo made to it.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 15, 2011, 12:54:30 AM »
It really depends on how customized/modified the GPU is. BlackNMild2k1 mentioned that both R800 and R900 could be based off of R700. It's possible that AMD just built a different successor to the R700 using it as a base, a Nintendo version of R800 or R900 if you will. That said, AMD's WiiU GPU could potentially be as powerful or more powerful than either R800 or R900. The latter is not terribly likely, but considering how little we know, still a possibility. Nintendo tends to favor efficiency so the likeliest scenario is that we end up with something on par with either later model, optimized to ease some of the bottlenecks, do more per cycle etc.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 12:56:32 AM by Adrock »

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 15, 2011, 01:00:02 AM »
That picture kicks ass and is going in my personal collection.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 15, 2011, 01:11:29 AM »
You can thank the late great Bill Watterson for that one.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 15, 2011, 02:04:28 AM »
is your sanity...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 15, 2011, 02:06:04 AM »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 15, 2011, 02:37:35 AM »
Really? I thought he died of cancer more than a decade ago.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 15, 2011, 02:42:40 AM »
Your thinking of Charles Schulz.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 15, 2011, 03:21:25 AM »
Hope they go with something a bit newer than R770.  Nintendo uses opengl(based) so DX won't matter but opengl 4.0 wasn't introduced until the R8's right.

50 more power than this generation might not cut it for next gen.  Have to what and see what Epic's Unreal 4.0 and other next generation engines require. 

Maybe nintendo's going crossfire two R770 chips?  It's actually cheaper going with two last generation of chips than one more powerful newer one. 

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 15, 2011, 07:19:14 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it impossible for Nintendo (or Sony) to use DirectX since its owned by Microsoft? Even if they could, why would they want to use something proprietary when OpenGL could be used instead for free?
is your sanity...

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 15, 2011, 08:40:33 AM »
the late

He's not dead.

No, But Calvin and Hobbes are. :(

Better than the living dead, like most comic strips are...  I'm glad Waterson stopped publishing C&H when he did; if his heart wasn't in the strip anymore, it would have shown through in his work.  At least all of his works remain classic.

Bill Watterson isn't dead; he's just very reclusive...notoriously so.  I think he paints now...or something.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:42:40 AM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 15, 2011, 10:09:50 AM »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 15, 2011, 10:31:26 AM »
http://kotaku.com/5812090/the-wii-u-will-not-play-dvds-and-blu+ray-discs

The Wii U won't play Blu Play or DVD dics. :(

Dear Iwata,

eShop + Apps = opportunity for consumer to pay licensing fee for DVD and/or Bluray playback should they want an extra DVD and/or Bluray player.
If you don't allow if officially, you are only giving further reason for the system to be hacked to allow it unofficially. Please make it happen as capable Bluray players are expensive and it just makes sense.

Sincerely,
The Entire Internet, Gaming Community & General Populace of the planet Earth.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 15, 2011, 10:46:22 AM »
Actually, this really doesn't affect me. My entire family already have 4 DVD players (and 1 VHS player) and my PS3 can already play Blu-Ray.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: June 15, 2011, 10:50:18 AM »
Just read this on Google news. Typical Nintendo explanation which is circumvented by the sheer fact that one of their partners holds the most Blu-Ray patents (as it's assumed their new disc format is based on Blu-Ray). Not a big deal for me since I have many devices that plays movies but it'd be nice if Nintendo gave the option for people who don't, namely all the Wii only owners who don't own a PS3/Blu-Ray player. There's really no way to PR spin that one. Nintendo needs to stop dictating what consumers want/don't want and start being as accessible and user-friendly as possible. Iwata cites "extra costs" but Nintendo always makes money on hardware so they're just pocketing the money instead of passing extra functionality and value to the consumer. Kind of lame but that's business, I guess.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 15, 2011, 10:59:03 AM »
Actually, this really doesn't affect me. My entire family already have 4 DVD players (and 1 VHS player) and my PS3 can already play Blu-Ray.
It doesn't affect you, but this isn't about you or me. This is about options and Nintendo providing them where possible.

If the hardware is technically capable, and I'm willing to pay extra for that functionality, it makes sense to have such functionality... especially if I'm willing to pay extra for it, then why not allow it?

Wii was capable of playing DVD's. And while it didn't really matter to alot of people whether or not you could actually play a DVD in it (who didn't have atleast 2-4 DVD players already in their home back in 2006?), I imagine it was still a rather popular homebrew app that allowed for free DVD playback.

The main difference between now and then with DVD playback, is that not everyone has a Bluray player for every TV in the house. You can't go to the store and buy a standalone bluray player for $20-30 and put it in the kids room, kitchen, spare room or the garage. Capable Bluray players require internet connection and decent processors for apps, extra features and things of that sort.

WiiU will possibly be capable of playing back Bluray movies and being a more than decent Bluray player. A bluray player that can stream a Bluray movie to my (and possibly 3 other) controllers all at once. It could go one step further and put the Bluray extras, such as Live quiz and stuff onto the controllers and have a 4 player quiz while the movie plays full screen on the TV.
So if the end consumer is willing to foot the bill for DVD and/or Bluray playback on an individual basis, then why stop them? why not give them the option and make a little extra profit off of it in the mean time?

edit:
Adrock... get outta my head.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:01:09 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 15, 2011, 11:02:44 AM »
Yeah! What I said. I mean what my doppelganger said! :)

Offline Snake-Arms

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 15, 2011, 12:42:53 PM »
http://kotaku.com/5812090/the-wii-u-will-not-play-dvds-and-blu+ray-discs

The Wii U won't play Blu Play or DVD dics. :(

To the DVD playback: it isn't 1999 anymore.  Most people probably own multiple devices that play DVDs.  And I never expected Blu-Ray playback so that isn't really a disappointment for me.

Offline MorbidGod

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 15, 2011, 12:48:39 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it impossible for Nintendo (or Sony) to use DirectX since its owned by Microsoft? Even if they could, why would they want to use something proprietary when OpenGL could be used instead for free?

It's not impossible and it's not uncommon for a company to pay a license fee for something that a compeditor makes. Look at Apple, using Samsung screens for iPhone. They could choose another brand, however they want the best. And when it comes to games, generally DirectX is the best -- but OpenGL I am partial to considering I am a Mac fan and thats what we generally use.

But if the R700 is the base of all next gen GPU's, support for OpenGL 4.0 COULD have been added. We just don't know and probably never will.