Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1587601 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #450 on: June 14, 2011, 01:50:57 AM »
Can't afford an HDTV. Have to save up for Wii U launch games.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 14, 2011, 02:00:04 AM »
I think we understand each other. It's simply that I'm more optimistic than you are.

Well, that's a given.   ;)   I'd rather be skeptical/jaded and be pleasantly surprised than invest in something/be overly optimistic and be disappointed.  That was the lesson I took away from the Wii and so many other things over the years.

Can't afford an HDTV. Have to save up for Wii U launch games.

Naturally.  Just Dance 4, Carnival Games HD, and Wii U Play aren't going to buy themselves!   :P: :
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
WiiU using modified R770 w/ Eyefinity & DX 10.1
« Reply #452 on: June 14, 2011, 01:18:57 PM »
WiiU is using a heavily modified AMD R770 (HD4XXX)
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/14/wii-u-has-last-gen-radeon-inside-still-more-powerful-than-ps3-a/
Slowly, but surely, we're starting to piece together what's going on inside that mysterious white box known as the Wii U. IBM was a little coy about the multi-core CPU it was providing, but did tantalize us by mentioning the name "Watson" in describing some of its underlying tech. Now details about the custom Radeon GPU are starting to surface and, while certainly capable, it's not exactly cutting edge. At its heart is a chip similar to the R770 found in AMD's last-gen cards like the 4890 and, before you dismiss the it, remember the PS3 and Xbox 360 are still capable of pumping out impressive visuals while packing five-year-old silicon (The 360 is essentially running a souped up ATI X1900). The custom core also supports Direct X 10.1 (Microsoft runs out of steam with Direct X 9) and Eyefinity-like multi-display tech for up to four SD video streams -- though it'll be up to Nintendo and developers to put that to good use. In case you're still not convinced of the Wii U's graphical prowess, Crytek has said its advanced CryEngine is "pretty much" up and running on Nintendo's upcoming console -- and, if it's good enough for Crysis, it should be good enough for you.

[insert link to speculation about GPU from rumor thread here -> edit: Eyefinity & an R800 GPU?]

Just the mention of Eyefinity lets me know that Nintendo has incorporated tech from the HD5XXX series of GPU's into the base R700 that the H5XXX & HD6XXX are both based on just on the fact that Eyefinity wasn't introduced until R800 (HD5XXX).

THe major thing not to forget (and I just mentioned it) is all of AMD's modern GPU's (HD5XXX & HD6XXX) are all based on the R700 (HD4XXX) and upgraded/tweaked from there. So Nintendo starting with the base R700 and incorporating the tech they need means that they could have a fully custom chip with features similar to the most modern AMD GPU with out adding all the stuff they didn't need (Like DirectX 11 compliance).

So the GPU is likely a beast and the CPU is potentially too. Now it's up to the dev's to make use of all that extra power and show us what this machine is capable of.

p.s. the support of Eyefinity means that it's technically capable of supporting 4 uScreens at once (same video to 4 separate sources). It comes down to if it can stream 4 different videos to 4 separate devices all at once. That will be a big news day for Nintendo and us gamers a like(even if our wallets shed a tear).

can't wait for an actual spec leak.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:36:57 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 14, 2011, 03:45:11 PM »
http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=15746

The most impactful 'reveal' at the show was the Wii U, which, in our opinion, is arriving two years too late. Depending on pricing, the system will be either a phenomenal success or a phenomenal failure, as competitive bundles for Xbox 360 with Kinect and PS3 with Move are likely to be priced below $300 by the time the Wii U launches.

Same old song and dance, I hope the Wii U takes off at even half the speed of the Wii so this guy can eat his words.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1176175p1.html

Reggie says 2 Wii U controllers can be supported. According to Michael Pachter, Reggie told him directly.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:49:32 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 14, 2011, 05:38:56 PM »
So the GPU is likely a beast and the CPU is potentially too.

It may be a beast, but its a last generation beast. A dinosaur is also a beast, but put a dinosaur up against a human in an apache helicopter and the human wins. So newer and better technology trumps being a beast any day.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 14, 2011, 05:51:55 PM »
The GPU is only last gen in terms of computer GPU's

Next Gen GPU's are the HD6XXX, current gen are the HD5XXX, last gen are the HD4XXX

That "last gen" GPU is still a full generational leap above what XGPU and the PS3GPU.
It may not melt your TV screen, but it will far outdo what the PS360 is currently capable of.

Also IIRC some of the current gen and next gen ATi GPU are based off of that "last gen" R700 (HD4XXX) GPU.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Metroid U?
« Reply #456 on: June 14, 2011, 05:59:01 PM »
WiiU to get a new Metroid title sooner rather than later?
http://kotaku.com/5811753/nintendos-two-reasons-for-making-a-new-wii-now
Quote from: Katsuya Eguchi - Nintendo Manager & Game Designer
"I can't give you any details now," he said, "but I'm sure there will be a new Metroid release making use of the new controller, not just to control Samus and her ship but also to give the player a new source of information. Maybe the player is looking at the screen but has the information that they need to defeat the enemy in their hands." Maybe you could hold the Wii controller up to the screen and scan your enemy, I suggested. "You could look through the screen and scan your enemy and find where it's weakspot is."

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 14, 2011, 06:17:42 PM »
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 14, 2011, 06:29:56 PM »

It may be a beast, but its a last generation beast. A dinosaur is also a beast, but put a dinosaur up against a human in an apache helicopter and the human wins. So newer and better technology trumps being a beast any day.

Hahaha your metaphors are some of the worst I've ever encountered and you use them all the time! Graphics cards are a battle against a T-Rex and a Apache helicopter! hahaha where do you come up with this?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 14, 2011, 06:50:15 PM »
It is rather sad that Other M was so bad that hearing about a new Metroid fills me with absolutely zero anticipation or excitement.

Looking at that Iwata interview I am actually blown away that he would point out the Wii's lack of power and how this time they not only have the power but also no lack of buttons.  That is such a frank way to point out the shortcomings of the Wii.  I would have expected a bunch of spin and bullshit but he pretty much just said "yeah, we fucked this up huge with core gamers."

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 14, 2011, 06:52:12 PM »
some reason i think the t-rex would still win, because a t-rex is made out of WIN, if the T-Rex is taken down by an Apache Helicopter we all lose...it was T-REX!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 14, 2011, 07:02:22 PM »
Hahaha

Reminds me of futurama

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 14, 2011, 07:06:48 PM »
Nintendo obviously cannot win, many worried that the Wii U would have graphical power equivalent to  the 360 or maybe even less. Now that it is much more powerful it "isn't good enough". NIntendo cannot please some people no matter what. No wonder they do their own thing most of the time.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:09:52 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 14, 2011, 07:43:31 PM »

Hahaha your metaphors are some of the worst I've ever encountered and you use them all the time! Graphics cards are a battle against a T-Rex and a Apache helicopter! hahaha where do you come up with this?

I think metaphors are more helpful to get the point across. :P Dinosaurs are primitive creatures, so that works here because the R700 series is fairly old. As for the Apache Helicopters, that came from Battlefield BC2 which I spent all night playing last night. Our team got raped by them circling around over our only spawn area and not letting us get anywhere or do anything.
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 14, 2011, 07:49:29 PM »
Nintendo obviously cannot win, many worried that the Wii U would have graphical power equivalent to  the 360 or maybe even less. Now that it is much more powerful it "isn't good enough".

Being more powerful than the PS360 is mandatory, but that in and of itself may not be enough because the PS360 isn't going to be the Wii U's primary competition. How well it measures up against the PS4/420 is what matters.
is your sanity...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: June 14, 2011, 07:55:58 PM »
I think one of the three console makers are going to bow out next gen. My money is on Sony. Where will the haters go then?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 14, 2011, 08:09:53 PM »
My money is on Sony.

I would have to agree. I'm not sure anyone is going to bow out though, but if anyone does it would be Sony since they appear to be the weakest link.
is your sanity...

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 14, 2011, 08:18:31 PM »
I think one of the three console makers are going to bow out next gen. My money is on Sony. Where will the haters go then?

I don't know about that.  Microsoft jumped in essentially out of fear that they were going to miss out on the wave of the future when set top boxes evolved into the control centers of our fully automatic homes of the future.  However, it's starting to look like the future of computing is on our phones instead.  Will Microsoft continue this costly venture even while Google and Apple run right by them while they're looking the wrong way?  Will they keep it up just to save face?  Do they actually still believe the future lies on this path, or do they want to stick it out just in case the future doubles back on them?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 14, 2011, 08:34:53 PM »
because the R700 series is fairly old.

All joking aside, the R700(HD4xxx) is from 2008, but it is also the base for the R800(HD5xxx) and the newer R900 (HD6xxx) series.... (I think).

So if Nintendo started with a base of R700 and customized it with features from the HD5xxx line like Eyefinity and DX11 compliant shaders/effects and maybe some other stuff from the the HD6xxx, then they wouldn't have an old GPU at all. They would have a fully customized monster that is as modern and new as they want it to be, but with only the features they want/need.

I don't think this next gen, but maybe the one after. But if someone where to sit this next one out and wait for the one after, I would guess that would be Sony. MS is already elbow deep in it's next gen machine and the chips are supposed to be ready sometime early-mid next year....
if the rumors and comments of an AMD Fusion chip are to be believed.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 14, 2011, 08:52:36 PM »
I think the next Xbox is going to be heavy into the set top box realm

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 14, 2011, 08:57:22 PM »
We're waiting on translation to know for sure, but word in the staff email thread is that the GPU is at least technically capable of four simultaneous video streams.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 14, 2011, 09:38:59 PM »

I think metaphors are more helpful to get the point across. :P Dinosaurs are primitive creatures, so that works here because the R700 series is fairly old. As for the Apache Helicopters, that came from Battlefield BC2 which I spent all night playing last night. Our team got raped by them circling around over our only spawn area and not letting us get anywhere or do anything.

What now Chozo?
What now?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 14, 2011, 09:39:23 PM »
hahahaha

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 14, 2011, 09:44:22 PM »
It is rather sad that Other M was so bad that hearing about a new Metroid fills me with absolutely zero anticipation or excitement.
Depends on who we're hearing it from. That quote came from Katsuya Eguchi who has never worked on a Metroid game. Do you consider that better or worse than hearing from Yoshio Sakamoto?
All joking aside, the R700(HD4xxx) is from 2008, but it is also the base for the R800(HD5xxx) and the newer R900 (HD6xxx) series....
Makes me wonder why they wouldn't just start with R800 or R900 as the base and have AMD customize it from there.

Epic Games thinks this is what the next generation of games will look like. Can WiiU can handle that? That tech demo sure does look fancy but I wonder if WiiU needs to be able to do that. Then again, needs to and should are entirely different things. 3rd parties may demands it. There's a noticeable difference between that tech demo and what the current console generation offers. However, developers haven't tapped the full potential of current HD consoles and the budgets haven't really gone down so will many games ever really look that good? The tech demo may look better; it just doesn't make the current generation look that dated.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 12:30:50 AM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 14, 2011, 09:45:56 PM »
We're waiting on translation to know for sure, but word in the staff email thread is that the GPU is at least technically capable of four simultaneous video streams.

you mean like I mentioned in this post?
WiiU using modified R770 w/ Eyefinity & DX 10.1

in which I quoted Engadget who sourced Game Watch?