Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1586918 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #425 on: June 13, 2011, 09:55:34 PM »
There are four USB slots, where are the other two?
Well, it is a prototype unit, so maybe they have not added them yet.

It looks like the input connector is the same shape, which is good. I don't want to have to buy another component cable for it, it was a bit inconvenient that the Wii didn't support cables from previous systems.

If Nintendo's smart, they'll pack an HDMI cable in with the system (like Microsoft currently does, and I think the new PS3 Slims do as well), so you should be good with the best cables possible from Day One.  HDMI cables are dirt cheap, so it's not like they'd be a big financial burden for Nintendo.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 13, 2011, 10:03:11 PM »
I don't have an HDMI input, so that wouldn't help me. That's why it'd be beneficial if they kept the same plug, as knowing Nintendo I don't envision them including more than one cable.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 13, 2011, 10:05:21 PM »
I don't have an HDMI input, so that wouldn't help me. That's why it'd be beneficial if they kept the same plug.

If you are financially able to, you should seriously consider getting an HDMI-compatible HD TV before the WII U comes out.  It's just such a waste to play games on HD consoles through SD video cables, and the difference is very noticeable.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 13, 2011, 10:09:09 PM »
I've been considering it, but I don't like the look of the LCD televisions I've seen. They are too bright, which not only hurts my eyes but also makes colours looked washed out. I'm starting to wonder if I'm sensitive to light, though these things are the only light sources I know of which cause this. In any case, I either need to wait for better TV technology to become affordable, or I have to track down a CRT HD TV, neither of which would be an easy thing to do.

Offline sparkRyder78j

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 13, 2011, 10:11:19 PM »
I don't have an HDMI input, so that wouldn't help me. That's why it'd be beneficial if they kept the same plug.

If you are financially able to, you should seriously consider getting an HDMI-compatible HD TV before the WII U comes out.  It's just such a waste to play games on HD consoles through SD video cables, and the difference is very noticeable.

I agree the difference is quiet substantial if you want to experience the game the way it was meant to be.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 13, 2011, 10:11:34 PM »
I will find you a suitable HDTV for under $300 Mop it up.

as close to 32" as possible and atleast 720p.

You have to treat yourself to this before you buy into WiiU.

p.s. you can adjust the brightness.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 13, 2011, 10:13:29 PM »
I've been considering it, but I don't like the look of the LCD televisions I've seen. They are too bright, which not only hurts my eyes but also makes colours looked washed out. I'm starting to wonder if I'm sensitive to light, though these things are the only light sources I know of which cause this. In any case, I either need to wait for better TV technology to become affordable, or I have to track down a CRT HD TV, neither of which would be an easy thing to do.

Hmm...for my birthday a few months back I got a new Vizio-brand LCD TV.  Aside from a good hour or two I had to spend tweaking the color and brightness settings to my preferences (I like my picture rich in color due to my love for games and animation, something no TV by default seems to understand), I haven't had any issues with it.  Maybe you just haven't found the right TV yet.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 13, 2011, 10:15:39 PM »
My brother turns down his LCD's brightness all the way whenever I come over to watch TV, and it is brighter than my CRT TV at its max setting, which is still too much for me. I don't recall what brand it is, but it is no cheapie as I recall him boasting about how much it cost. So I think it has something to do with LCD itself, but it's hard to say. I don't think I have seen a plasma or LED in person, so I wonder if those would be any better suited for me.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 13, 2011, 10:23:03 PM »
Eternal Darkness for UuuuuWiii *drools*

Coop mode? One player cutting up baddies while the other solves puzzles. Sick.

Eh, I hope not.  I'm getting tired of multiplayer modes getting tossed into every game I own these days.

Is that because you have no friends?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:25:39 PM by The Unagi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 13, 2011, 10:27:01 PM »

What about one of those ones that don't have a single backlight, but instead have a grid of individually modulatable LEDs (which are driven with roughly a low-pass version of the image -- and no, there are no visible artifacts)...?  That gives them vastly greater dynamic range than a traditional LCD setup, perfect blacks, etc.  I think Samsung made one, and also maybe the Hitachi silly-name TV has them ("Wooooo"?)

I'll bet such TVs are much better suited to having a wide range of brightness settings than traditional fixed backlight models (which might only have a limited range of settings at which the backlight works).

[This tech can be used to provide true HDR rendering, but of course it's limited in normal TV usage by the input source...]

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: June 13, 2011, 10:28:52 PM »
Let's face it, visuals are hitting a wall because of development costs. The jump between PS3/360 and the next generation isn't going to be nearly extreme as PS2/Xbox to PS3/360.
That's what I was thinking. Programmers can always make something look better; a sharper texture here, maybe some extra blades of grass there. I wonder, however, when it stops being worth putting the time, money and effort to add things that gamers don't have time to pay attention to because they're playing the game. I think Nintendo is in a good position. They've made a console that is more powerful than the current generation, but not so powerful to the point of diminished returns where companies are spending resources on things that ultimately change very little. Maybe, for once, Nintendo's "good enough" is actually good enough. We're at a point where current generation games like God of War 3 or Mass Effect 3 look so good that they won't ever be considered dated. Five or ten years from now, they'll still look good graphically and not in the Super Mario Bros. retro-chic kind of way. And I'm still a big believer in art direction > graphics. I don't think we're seen a cel-shaded game that looks anywhere close to a Disney animated film. I feel like that is the next generation of graphics, getting to something that looks like The Little Mermaid instead of Toy Story 3.
There are four USB slots, where are the other two?
Well, it is a prototype unit, so maybe they have not added them yet.
If anyone is wondering where I got these, I paused a Kotaku video of them checking out the WiiU E3 console (which I still believe to be not final) and used the print screen tool on this here Macbook Pro.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 13, 2011, 10:34:17 PM »
Okami looked great last gen and it still looks great this gen (the Wii didn't change much). Art style...its too important.

Water color was sick (okami), Impressionism looks amazing (Skyward Sword). I for one would love to see a game styled in surrealism. I don't know how you'd do it, or what genre it would be attached to, but I'd love it.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 13, 2011, 10:37:39 PM »

Eh, I hope not.  I'm getting tired of multiplayer modes getting tossed into every game I own these days.

I'm going to let that mild bit of flaming go out of sheer disinterest.  I don't like playing multiplayer in games that aren't multiplayer-centric, period.  I'm in my games for the storytelling, immersive experience.  I find multiplayer tends to detract from that in many games I play.  Take for example something like LittleBigPlanet, which I was just playing earlier.  I can't fully enjoy most of the levels in that game because there are sections in many of those that require 2 or 4 players to enter.  So unless I go online and deal with the douches there, I can't fully enjoy my singleplayer experience.  **** that.  I'd rather these development teams focused on a strong singleplayer component than try to split resources and add a half-assed multiplayer component as well.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 13, 2011, 10:41:14 PM »
What about one of those ones that don't have a single backlight, but instead have a grid of individually modulatable LEDs (which are driven with roughly a low-pass version of the image -- and no, there are no visible artifacts)...?  That gives them vastly greater dynamic range than a traditional LCD setup, perfect blacks, etc.  I think Samsung made one, and also maybe the Hitachi silly-name TV has them ("Wooooo"?)
I don't think I've seen one in person yet, but yeah, it does sound like it could work out better for me. But I think those are newer televisions so they may be a tad expensive, and I would want to get one that is at least the same size as my current television which, when converted to widescreen, means 36 inches. I currently have no devices that output anything better than 480p which my current CRT can display, so it'll be at least a couple years before I would want a new television. Hopefully by then something I'd like would be more affordable.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:43:23 PM by Mop it up »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 13, 2011, 11:22:58 PM »
good point adrock, I would take Wind Waker over alot of games, actually I would take Wind Waker over Skyward Sword, though Skywayrd Sword is
attractive.

Zelda:SS  wow sound like a totally different game
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 13, 2011, 11:43:56 PM »
That's your best comeback?   :confused;   That's just sad, but then again so are Suda 51's continual attempts to actually make a good game.

Your mom is a comeback.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 13, 2011, 11:44:33 PM »

I'm going to let that mild bit of flaming go out of sheer disinterest.  I don't like playing multiplayer in games that aren't multiplayer-centric, period.  I'm in my games for the storytelling, immersive experience.  I find multiplayer tends to detract from that in many games I play.  Take for example something like LittleBigPlanet, which I was just playing earlier.  I can't fully enjoy most of the levels in that game because there are sections in many of those that require 2 or 4 players to enter.  So unless I go online and deal with the douches there, I can't fully enjoy my singleplayer experience.  **** that.  I'd rather these development teams focused on a strong singleplayer component than try to split resources and add a half-assed multiplayer component as well.

I agree to a point. We all can site Metroid Hunters as a perfect example of when multiplayer goes wrong. Still, you have to admit, the most fun you've had playing games has been with your buddies/family. It doesn't matter if those are the best games ever made. Something about people whether online or sitting next to you make games more fun. That's why if developers are creative enough to make it work, then I'll give them a chance.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 13, 2011, 11:52:50 PM »
I agree to a point. We all can site Metroid Hunters as a perfect example of when multiplayer goes wrong. Still, you have to admit, the most fun you've had playing games has been with your buddies/family. It doesn't matter if those are the best games ever made. Something about people whether online or sitting next to you make games more fun. That's why if developers are creative enough to make it work, then I'll give them a chance.

I'm afraid I don't have to admit that simply because of the kinds of games I like to play.  Probably the most fun I've had playing games have been RPGs or franchises like the Silent Hill; Bioshock; or Dead Space series, which are singleplayer-centric and actually tend to lose their impact when there are other people around.  There have been SP-focused games I like to play Co-op modes in like Portal 2 or Uncharted 2, but those are the exception rather than the rule.  If you have the most fun playing multiplayer, more power to you.  It's just not for me, and I'd rather it be left to multiplayer-focused games that can take the most advantage of the format.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:58:32 PM by broodwars »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 14, 2011, 12:05:18 AM »
Uh... *raises hand* I hope epic, single-player-only experiences never go away...

After all, I need to play SOMETHING between frenzied bouts of We Cheer.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 14, 2011, 12:08:33 AM »
I can understand when playing a scary game that you wouldn't want to play with any other person (even though you should because it's hilarious). It's the same way with scary movies; they lose their creepy factor. But don't you like the feeling of outwitting someone else? The feeling of besting another person? Or being shocked by the ingenuity of your opponent? A.I. can only provide so much.

EDIT: In epic games like Uncharted 2, I felt like I had a much better time when I had an audience. Whether it was my girl, my brother, or my friend. It was just a better experience, even if all they did was scream, yell out hints or obscenities.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 12:12:33 AM by The Unagi »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 14, 2011, 12:11:41 AM »
I can understand when playing a scary game that you wouldn't want to play with any other person (even though you should because it's hilarious). It's the same way with scary movies; they lose their creepy factor. But don't you like the feeling of outwitting someone else? The feeling of besting another person? Or being shocked by the ingenuity of your opponent? A.I. can only provide so much.

If I'm playing a multiplayer-centric game like Killzone 3 (though that game's SP is pretty good), Smash Bros. Brawl, or GoldenEye/Perfect Dark?  Sure, there's a place for experiences like that, and there's a place for SP-centric experiences like I enjoy at other times.  If a series is known for having a traditionally-excellent SP mode, though, I don't want the developers to jeopardize that quality by throwing in a half-baked MP mode.  That does fans of neither mode any favors.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 14, 2011, 12:14:38 AM »
My point is, how do you know it's half-baked though? Who knows, you may end up liking that experience more. Aren't you willing to at least try it before completely dismissing it?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 14, 2011, 12:21:59 AM »
My point is, how do you know it's half-baked though? Who knows, you may end up liking that experience more. Aren't you willing to at least try it before completely dismissing it?

I know because I've seen it fail in too many games in the past as developers grasp to shoe-horn anything in that will keep people from trading their game in.  I'm not completely dismissing that the addition of a multiplayer mode could be good.  I just don't want it if it's going to come at the expense of the experience I actually care about, and it often does unless the development team is big enough or there are multiple developers working on the game (like Bioshock 2, which had a decent MP mode and and excellent SP mode).  I'm the one buying the game, after all, not my friends.  If developers want to put such a mode in, they have to be ready to convince me and any other fans of SP play that it's a worthwhile addition.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 12:24:32 AM by broodwars »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 14, 2011, 12:25:17 AM »
I think we understand each other. It's simply that I'm more optimistic than you are.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 14, 2011, 01:24:38 AM »

Another thing which is nice about the HDMI cable is its just one cable and that's it. Unlike component or composite cables where you need three or 5 different plugs to mess with. I noticed a major improvement not only in video quality, but also in audio quality as well when I switched my PS3 over from the component cable it came with to a HDMI cable.
is your sanity...