Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1587565 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #400 on: June 13, 2011, 06:44:21 PM »
After what Sony went through with all the hackings and all that, will they still have the arrogance to put out the level of FUD about their PS4 that they did about their last two systems? If anything good came out of the hackings I hope its that it made Sony more humble. One of the things that really killed the Dreamcast was Sony's FUD about the PS2 (which wasn't anywhere near the truth). Are they going to try to kill off the Wii U with similar FUD about the PS4 this time around?
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
WiiU is NOT next Gen says Michel Ancel
« Reply #401 on: June 13, 2011, 06:54:15 PM »
I remember Sony claiming something about 2 Teraflops of computeing power before PS3 launch.
I think the reality was closer to 500-600 Gigaflops.

Sony is definitely selling tickets (Toy Story level graphics in realitime...) to anyone willing to buy.

----------------in other news....

Michel Ancel: Wii U is not next-gen
http://www.videogamer.com/news/wii_u_is_not_next-gen_says_michel_ancel.html
Expects Nintendo's new console to be imitated by others.

Michel Ancel, the creator of Rayman and Beyond Good and Evil, has said that he does not think Nintendo's new console should be deemed 'next-gen'.

Asked if the Wii U is a next-generation machine, Ancel replied: "Not really. I think Wii U is next-gen in terms of interface.".

Pressed on this issue - whether he expected Microsoft or Sony to cook up something similar - Ancel replied: "I don't know if Sony will do it, or Microsoft – but yes, I think it's a possibility. But I think the main thing is to have this – offering new ways to play is very interesting."

So is Nintendo late to the 'Current Gen' or early to the Next....

who to believe?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:01:06 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 13, 2011, 07:03:16 PM »
So is Nintendo late to the 'Current Gen' or early to the Next....

who to believe?

It would help if we had some concrete specs on the thing with which to form an opinion. However, even then it would still be just an opinion... but at least it would be an informed opinion.
is your sanity...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 13, 2011, 07:04:33 PM »
They should make this system the DreamCast's revenge. Shenume 3 and Seaman 2.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
No More Heroes 3 WiiU Confirmed
« Reply #404 on: June 13, 2011, 07:11:41 PM »
No More Heroes 3 is confirmed!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBJyTIyFdeA&feature=player_embedded
& Destructoid interviewer is a 35year old creepy man-child high on some illegal substance. lol

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: No More Heroes 3 WiiU Confirmed
« Reply #405 on: June 13, 2011, 07:23:01 PM »
No More Heroes 3 is confirmed!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBJyTIyFdeA&feature=player_embedded
& Destructoid interviewer is a 35year old creepy man-child high on some illegal substance. lol

Ugh...really?  I don't know about you guys, but the well of ideas on that franchise was feeling pretty dry with No More Heroes 2.  Well, great if you love that franchise, I guess.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 13, 2011, 07:41:47 PM »
I think NMH2 was "dry" because Suda didnt have any new hardware to inspire him.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 13, 2011, 07:44:48 PM »
There will be no next-gen in those terms. VOXELS

We've reached the peak of Polygons, basically if you want to draw 100 million polygons a second it doesn't make the system crash. there are only 2 million pixels on a screen. So ideally you just want to manage your info in different ways to get peak performance, so the best thing is to entirely rethink how you process your information. You could make a wii have better than xbox360 and ps3 graphics(if it could actually output in a higher resolution), but you need smart programming and artists that can adapt.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:58:40 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 13, 2011, 08:05:01 PM »
I agree with Perm at least in part. The games engines are holding us back more than anything. Unreal tech has hit a plateau.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 13, 2011, 08:10:27 PM »

Oh, is that the excuse we're going with for him having you slaughter dudes in a parking lot for literally 30 minutes before he took down the Invisible Walls and let you proceed?  Or for having pretty much no creativity whatsoever in the entirety of NMH2?

Still, I suppose there's hope he may have learned to become a competent game designer after his experience working with EA on Shadows of the Damned, but I'm still skeptical of that game as well so we'll see.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:15:01 PM by broodwars »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
CryEngine3 & Unreal Engine 3 coming to WiiU
« Reply #410 on: June 13, 2011, 08:33:08 PM »
CryEngine 3 is coming to WiiU
http://www.develop-online.net/news/38014/Crytek-Were-bringing-our-tech-to-Wii-U
CryEngine-built software is already close to fully running on Nintendo’s next-generation console, engine vendor Crytek has said.

“Crytek’s support for Wii U is definitely going to happen,†company CEO Cevat Yerli told Develop in a new interview to be published soon.

Yerli claimed that CryEngine's tech was close to fully running on Nintendo’s new system, though wouldn’t specify any details.

“We aren't showing it but we are pretty much running it already,†Yerli said.

The news comes days after Develop revealed that Crytek’s closest business rival, Epic Games, is also supporting Wii U with its high-end game engine.

and of course Unreal Engine 3 is also coming to WiiU
http://www.develop-online.net/news/37927/Wii-U-powered-by-Unreal-Engine-3-tech
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:48:18 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 13, 2011, 08:48:36 PM »

Oh, is that the excuse we're going with for him having you slaughter dudes in a parking lot for literally 30 minutes before he took down the Invisible Walls and let you proceed?  Or for having pretty much no creativity whatsoever in the entirety of NMH2?

Still, I suppose there's hope he may have learned to become a competent game designer after his experience working with EA on Shadows of the Damned, but I'm still skeptical of that game as well so we'll see.

You know what else is dry? The Utah Jazz.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 13, 2011, 08:57:12 PM »

You know what else is dry? The Utah Jazz.

That's your best comeback?   :confused;   That's just sad, but then again so are Suda 51's continual attempts to actually make a good game.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:00:09 PM by broodwars »

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 13, 2011, 08:59:42 PM »
Gears of War WiiU?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 13, 2011, 09:01:25 PM »
Gears of War WiiU?

That could potentially be interesting with that controller, but I think Microsoft may own that IP or be otherwise invested in it.  I wouldn't bank on that one.

Now, Bulletstorm Wii U is very much a possibility from the same developers, and one I think you'd like a whole lot better.   :D

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 13, 2011, 09:03:54 PM »
im pretty sure Microsoft owns the Gears of War name, but dont fret.. War Gears may be on its way :P

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 13, 2011, 09:12:49 PM »
The CEO of Epic has stated that they are interested in porting the series onto the PS3 to obtain more paying customers and if they did that then why not the WiiU?

P.S.

I read the article about this a while ago but forgot the link.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 13, 2011, 09:20:45 PM »
well you never know, however sometimes CEOs forget what they own. Look at Silikon Knights, they were so pissed when they lost the BLood Omen series to Eidos, however its still up in the air who has the Eternal Darkness series.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 13, 2011, 09:22:50 PM »
well you never know, however sometimes CEOs forget what they own. Look at Silikon Knights, they were so pissed when they lost the BLood Omen series to Eidos, however its still up in the air who has the Eternal Darkness series.

I thought it was generally decided that Nintendo owned the publishing rights to the Eternal Darkness IP?  Otherwise, we'd probably have seen an Eternal Darkness HD on XBLA by now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 13, 2011, 09:24:04 PM »
I think Nintendo does have the rights to it, and I hope if SK and Nintendo never work together again Nintendo gives Retro the game.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: June 13, 2011, 09:25:01 PM »
Eternal Darkness for UuuuuWiii *drools*

Coop mode? One player cutting up baddies while the other solves puzzles. Sick.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 13, 2011, 09:35:38 PM »
The front USB ports on the WiiU imply to me that Nintendo intends for them to have easy access for the player to utilize. My gut tells me that Nintendo has a USB Virtual Console controller adapter in the works and that is why the Gamecube ports were removed. Also, a USB wireless head set dongle would work up at the fron of the console as well.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 13, 2011, 09:41:13 PM »
My guess is its going to be used to charge the controller and probably nothing else.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 13, 2011, 09:48:45 PM »
Eternal Darkness for UuuuuWiii *drools*

Coop mode? One player cutting up baddies while the other solves puzzles. Sick.

Eh, I hope not.  I'm getting tired of multiplayer modes getting tossed into every game I own these days.

Besides, the new controller could be better used for new sanity effects.  Imagine playing the game on the controller and playing the game on the TV yielded two completely different sequences.  For example, you see monsters on one screen, and on the other you see innocents of some kind or items.  Which is real?  Or maybe you're playing the game with the controller screen and a sanity effect shuts it down, forcing you to quickly switch to TV mode?  :P: :

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 13, 2011, 09:53:45 PM »
There are four USB slots, where are the other two?
Well, it is a prototype unit, so maybe they have not added them yet.

It looks like the input connector is the same shape, which is good. I don't want to have to buy another component cable for it, it was a bit inconvenient that the Wii didn't support cables from previous systems.