Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1590642 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #350 on: June 12, 2011, 04:48:01 PM »

should add this to the OP

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 12, 2011, 05:29:54 PM »

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 12, 2011, 05:51:30 PM »
New Wiimote, Classic controller and balance board for the Wii U. I do not buy using Nintendo wanting us to use the old stuff for a new console.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 12, 2011, 06:46:44 PM »
New Wiimote, Classic controller and balance board for the Wii U. I do not buy using Nintendo wanting us to use the old stuff for a new console.

But you do buy buying the same things all over again? Being able to use the stuff you already have on a new console is convenient and friendly to the wallet. Why would you want to have everything you bought this generation rendered obsolete and then be forced to buy all new ****?
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 12, 2011, 07:29:53 PM »
Is this a wiimote style camera at the top for pointer functionality?

or is it an IR emitter like a remote control (like the one on the 3DS)?
Also, what is that slider on the top for? Brightness controls? and that tab inbetween the stylus & the headphone jack on the left? what's that for?

Also looks like the controller is build to sit in a base/dock

It's too bad they didn't go with conductive charging though, since it looks like that's a charging port on the bottom.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 12, 2011, 07:35:01 PM »

But you do buy buying the same things all over again? Being able to use the stuff you already have on a new console is convenient and friendly to the wallet. Why would you want to have everything you bought this generation rendered obsolete and then be forced to buy all new ****?

At Wii launch I spent $180 for an entire set of controllers and nunchucks. At Wii U launch, it looks like I'll be able to concentrate on buying launch games. Third-party, of course. ^_^
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 12, 2011, 07:55:28 PM »
I don't understand why Kytime would want Nintendo to make an all new Balance Board (for example) just for the WiiU. What is wrong with the existing one? It costs $100, so why would you want to throw it out and buy it all over again? It doesn't make sense. There's nothing wrong with it and I don't see how it could be improved in any real substantial way to justify recreating it.
is your sanity...

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #357 on: June 12, 2011, 07:58:30 PM »
Is this a wiimote style camera at the top for pointer functionality?
or is it an IR emitter like a remote control (like the one on the 3DS)?
Also, what is that slider on the top for? Brightness controls? and that tab inbetween the stylus & the headphone jack on the left? what's that for?
Due to its size, I assumed it to be IR like on 3DS. I asked, but they either wouldn't talk about it or didn't know what it was for. The slider says Volume. The tab in between the stylus and headphone jack is a standard AC adapter jack under a cover.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 08:01:43 PM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 12, 2011, 08:10:45 PM »
@ Chozo

Because we go through he same cycle eveytime a new console launches and I am well adjusted to that cycle. Also, Nintendo has the potential to make an even better controller than the Wiimote to complimet this new screened controller and make even more profit.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 12, 2011, 09:21:17 PM »
wtf, theres no need to spend money on the same stuff with just a cosmetic change. I guess you're made of money bags. Can i have 300 dollars?

Also, if you want a power pc with an internal hard drive go buy a Mac. Consoles are made to be covered with accessories. I used to have a damn dext drive, a game shark, rumble packs, memory cards, rumble packs with built in memory cards, rumble packs with memory card ports, gameboy players....
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:29:45 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: June 12, 2011, 10:00:38 PM »
Certainly they should remain compatible with the old controllers, but also release new slimmer/lighter wiiu branded versions as well... then the rich could buy all new, and the thrifty could keep their old stuff.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 12, 2011, 10:06:12 PM »
wtf, theres no need to spend money on the same stuff with just a cosmetic change. I guess you're made of money bags. Can i have 300 dollars?
I think he means improve upon the Wii Remote and sell it as a WiiU specific version. There's no point in re-releasing the same controller and making the Wii remote we all already own incompatible. If they added buttons, a rechargeable battery, and improved precision, that would justify releasing a WiiU Remote. It would probably help people understand that WiiU is its own console, but Nintendo would have to redesign the remote to look new and improved. That might actually be a good idea since Nintendo should require MotionPlus/Remote Plus and trying to explain that to the masses might not even be worth the trouble.

Still, I already have 2 Wii Remote Plus controllers and soon I'll own a gold Zelda one (when it comes to Zelda, Nintendo says jump, I jump... fail). I'll certainly benefit from the use of legacy controllers. However, from a business perspective, it's probably easier to release all new controllers. I know that sounds contradictory, but it really isn't. People are expected to buy new parts when they buy new things. This goes for just about everything, not just videogames. I used this example in another thread: you can't buy part of a brand new car and save money by using pieces of a car you already own (i.e. seats, steering wheel, tires etc.). You have to buy all of it. That's the expectation so I don't think anyone could really hold it against Nintendo if they did that. But, damn, I love saving money though I'd also buy new controllers if I had to.

Also, Macs use Intel processors and have since 2006.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 12, 2011, 10:46:25 PM »
I think he means improve upon the Wii Remote and sell it as a WiiU specific version. There's no point in re-releasing the same controller and making the Wii remote we all already own incompatible. If they added buttons, a rechargeable battery, and improved precision, that would justify releasing a WiiU Remote. It would probably help people understand that WiiU is its own console, but Nintendo would have to redesign the remote to look new and improved. That might actually be a good idea since Nintendo should require MotionPlus/Remote Plus and trying to explain that to the masses might not even be worth the trouble.

Still, I already have 2 Wii Remote Plus controllers and soon I'll own a gold Zelda one (when it comes to Zelda, Nintendo says jump, I jump... fail). I'll certainly benefit from the use of legacy controllers. However, from a business perspective, it's probably easier to release all new controllers. I know that sounds contradictory, but it really isn't. People are expected to buy new parts when they buy new things. This goes for just about everything, not just videogames. I used this example in another thread: you can't buy part of a brand new car and save money by using pieces of a car you already own (i.e. seats, steering wheel, tires etc.). You have to buy all of it. That's the expectation so I don't think anyone could really hold it against Nintendo if they did that. But, damn, I love saving money though I'd also buy new controllers if I had to.

Also, Macs use Intel processors and have since 2006.

This leads me to believe that Nintendo is going to show a more advanced motion and classic controller down the road. The reason they might have held out from showing it at E3 because they wanted to WOW everyone with the Umote. Secondly, even if Move and Kinect are somewhat stalled motion contro,systems, Nintendo needs to produce a credible answer to their competitor's system simply because their own Wiimote set up is actually dated. A Move styled motion controller from Nintendo to go hand-in-hand with this new Umote would be good.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 12, 2011, 11:00:06 PM »
I don't think they would do that. They either have to use Wii Remotes or improve on the Wii remote and release new controllers. Not both or even Wii Remotes 1st then WiiU Remotes later. WiiU needs consistency. If Nintendo releases entirely new controllers later on, that would be confusing for everyone, consumers and developers. That's a mess and more trouble than Nintendo wants. They've been touting simplicity and what you're suggesting is anything but.

The simplest thing to do would be to release new and improved WiiU specific remotes alongside the table controller. That way, WiiU controllers are only for WiiU and there's no confusion. Of course, the new remotes can be used for backwards compatibility, but the old Wii controllers cannot be compatible because then it becomes a question of what's compatible with what and so on. Not worth it.

That said, unless things change, Nintendo is NOT releasing any new controller besides the tablet controller and if that's what they want to do, they have to stick with it for the duration of the generation. 3rd parties and consumers can't be juggling 395863297879 different controllers. It's too much, too inconvenient, too confusing.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:02:51 PM by Adrock »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 12, 2011, 11:12:01 PM »
I think Nintendo may rebrand the existing Wiimote Plus with the Wii U logo so it is clear it can be used with the Wii U in addition to the Wii, but that is the only change I envision there being with the Wiimote. The logo also may even be only on the box, the controller might stay the same.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 12, 2011, 11:16:35 PM »
I think a rebranded controller with a minor but significant enhances could do two things.

One - Let people know that this is truly a new system and..

Two - Make them easy money. These parts have to be cheaper than they were 5 or even 2 years ago.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 12, 2011, 11:35:13 PM »
What is Donkey Kong Trooper Challenge? I just read the interview, is Trooper Challenge a seperate game or did something get leaked?

Ok so according to that list we can upgrade with a Hard Disk Drive. I've said it before and i'll sya it again, i'm about as tech savy as tree, but is that the same as a Hard Drive? I know laugh all you want, give me your best insult.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:54:27 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 13, 2011, 12:08:46 AM »
if they just makes minor changes then cool, like an added u logo. Im not made of money, so whatever I do buy i dont like unnecessary obsolescence

like barrel blast could have benefited if it was compatible with bongos.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:13:46 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 13, 2011, 01:01:02 AM »
Seriously everyone was crying for a hard drive or the ability to add one. Is a Hard Disk Drive the full term for Hard Drive? I'm waiting for people to go nuts and be happy but so far no one has commented on BlackNMilds post. Kytim's prediction/wish post created a level of anger that was greater than BlackNMild's good news/confirmed post of happiness.

RomanceDawn

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 13, 2011, 01:26:47 AM »
"Kytim's prediction/wish post created a level of anger that was greater than BlackNMild's good news/confirmed post of happiness."

How So? I hate to sound like a narcicist, or something, but some of the predictions that I made were pretty close to the mark.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 13, 2011, 01:42:14 AM »
Well basically BlackNM posted an IGN list that said we can add a Hard Drive/Hard Disk Drive(I have come to the conclusion they are one in the same) and I assumed everyone would be jumping for joy. Then you said you wanted updated Wiimotes, balance pads, etc. Then everyone discussed that, which I thought was odd. Maybe the Hard Drive thing was said some time ago and I just missed it.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 13, 2011, 01:45:58 AM »
Yeah, we knew about the HDD add-on since the conference.
I posted the official spec sheet on the 1st page of this thread.
I just added that new list because it also had pics of the system mixed in with the fact sheet.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 13, 2011, 04:10:48 AM »
a pic of the back of the system

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:21:54 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 13, 2011, 12:31:20 PM »
There are four USB slots, where are the other two?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 13, 2011, 12:39:05 PM »
looks simple, yet elegant, but am afraid that if they take too long to release the system they might loose some steam.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308