Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1589571 times)

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #250 on: June 09, 2011, 07:54:35 AM »

Well, it looks like they've got the solid hardcore titles down pat, I'm guessing that they're saving the casual games for a more appropriate setting because of all the **** they've gotten at past E3s for having casual games on display. Casuals don't watch E3 unless they work for CNN.

The great thing about the WiiU or at least potentially, is a drastic improvement in casual games. Hopefully they will not only be deeper in integration, but wider in their variety. That shuriken throwing demo could easily be in WiiUSPorts, or UNintendogs as Frisbees or treats (speaking of which, UNintendogs would be probably be pretty cool with that controller, like a giant DS version (and speaking of that, Nintendo is turning all of our TVs into giant DSs**)), bird watching would be an interesting addition to WiiUSports if it looked like that demo and the controller is your binoculars, and there are a bunch of other good ideas for the controller as well. I'm glad to see 'hardcore' titles will be making good use of the controller (although I'm not sure if I actually want to make a 180degree turn to see what's behind me), but I think we'll see better casual use, as far as the screen goes beyond maps and additional views.

Then there's also the nongaming features that Nintendo hopefully goes hard with.

**So, now that our TVs are going to be giant DSs, are we going to be able to play DS games on the big screen? How about 3DS for those with a 3DTV? That would be freaking awesome imo.

Huh.. That birdwatching idea kinda made me think that the system would probably be well suited to a future Pokemon Snap game.   Those are some rather clever ideas.   

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 09, 2011, 08:46:30 AM »
@Mop it up - I think there is a greater difference between DS and 3DS than Wii and WiiU, mostly because of the number 3 (even without seeing the red 3 logo). Numbers psychologically trigger a sense of sequentiality. 3 comes after nothing so it's looks and sounds like something different and new.

Back in December 1999, I was shopping at Best Buy and a confused mother asked me what the difference between Gameboy Pocket and Gameboy Color. This is one of those memories that I'll never forget. Despite the obvious colored logo, people still got confused. Even DSLite and DSi confused the F out of people.

At the same time, when I worked at the video store, I had to refund/exchange rentals for parents who rented a PS3 game for their child's PS2. It didn't happen terribly often but it happened. Still, I feel like Wii 2 would have worked better than WiiU and even WiiHD. However, rebranding the console may have been an even better choice. Not that it matters now, but the more I think about it, the more I'm siding with rebranding, even with a different silly name.

@MaryJane - I'm confused. Wii peripherals ARE backwards compatible. Are you referring to the tablet controller being forwards compatible with the original Wii? If so, I think that would be a terrible idea and confusing for everyone everywhere.

Also, word of mouth isn't going to change or fix stupidity. Nintendo marketed and branded the Wii specifically to the lowest common denominator. It promoted ease of use because buttons were deemed "complicated." They named it "Wii" because it's easy to say and remember in any language. WiiU practically does the opposite.

To echo what I (and GP) said in a previous post, I think it can go either way. Rebranding and requiring new peripherals avoids confusion but obviously would be very pricey. Keeping the brand and being backwards compatible may ease people into new hardware and is far less expensive, but it may severely confuse people. I wonder how many of those same people would end up rebuying the old peripherals because they thought they HAD to. It's a thin line, fo' sho'.

It's kind of like buying a car. When you buy a new car, you don't strip the tires and seats of your old car and pay less for the new one since you totally can just install the old seats and tires. You have to buy all new stuff and it's expected and people go in knowing that's an expectation. At the same time, I wonder how many people would want to do just that if they could save like $1000 on the new car and if it would make them far more likely to buy the car if they could. Hypothetical situations are hypothetical.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 09:00:15 AM by Adrock »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 09, 2011, 10:50:47 AM »
Excellent news, Wii U will be ditching Friend Codes for Accounts, like PSN and Xbox according to Ubisoft.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1174844p1.html

Nintendo seems to be really reaching out to Ubisoft and EA, seemingly letting them help with their online system.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 09, 2011, 11:40:16 AM »
Big News about the CPU
Watson CPU tech in Wuu.... IBM Wuutson Inside
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/ibm-puts-watsons-brains-in-nintendo-wii-u/
Nintendo's new console, the Wii U, was finally unveiled to the world today at E3 2011, and we got a glimpse of its graphical prowess at the company's keynote. Details were scarce about the IBM silicon Nintendo's new HD powerhouse was packing, but we did some digging to get a little more info. IBM tells us that within the Wii U there's a 45nm custom chip with "a lot" of embedded DRAM. It's a silicon on insulator design and packs the same processor technology found in Watson, the supercomputer that bested a couple of meatbags on Jeopardy awhile back.

We will soon be playing with Power!!!!

Here is a statement that popped up on IBM's website last night but has since been deleted
IBM's embedded dynamic random access memory (test chip shown here) will help deliver a thrilling new game experience to Nintendo fans. The new memory technology, a key element of the new Power microprocessor that IBM is building for the Nintendo Wii U console, can triple the amount of memory contained on a single chip, making for extreme game play.

This is potentially big news for the Nintendo console as the CPU will have LOTS of memory ontop of being extremely efficient and very powerful.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 09, 2011, 11:43:23 AM »
A better and less confusing name for the console might have been: "Wii4U". That way there's a number there for the sequential deal, and it would also be extremely helpful when the PS4 and Xbox 420 show up because the 4 makes it seem like its in the same league. So instead of Wii U, Wii4U....
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 09, 2011, 12:03:06 PM »
I was thinking that. Wii4U would greatly differentiate itself since it includes a number and describes the product. At the same time, Wii4U sounds like a Chinese restaurant. Engrish fail... or win?

I still think NintendoStream was the best suggested name and I'm not even terribly fond of it. It just works really well and if you can pronounce "three" as in 3DS, you can pronounce "stream."
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:05:08 PM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 09, 2011, 12:08:13 PM »
Instead of Wii4U they should have just called it Yuu

Then they would have a Wii for everyone and Yuu for well... you.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 09, 2011, 12:41:31 PM »
One thing that would help avoid consumer confusion and justify the Wii U as a new console and not create any "why can't I just get that controller for the Wii" thoughts is to make games that look so damn good it is CLEAR why the Wii U is a new console.  I had to have pointed out what the graphical improvements to the NSMBMii demo were over NSMBWii.  Yeah if they release games that look like Wii Sports then maybe there will be some backlash and casuals won't understand why they need a new console.  But that Zelda demo?  Anyone sees that I they get it because they never saw any Wii games that looked like that.

Forget about the screen.  This thing has more power.  Show that!

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 09, 2011, 12:50:29 PM »
One thing that would help avoid consumer confusion and justify the Wii U as a new console and not create any "why can't I just get that controller for the Wii" thoughts is to make games that look so damn good it is CLEAR why the Wii U is a new console.  I had to have pointed out what the graphical improvements to the NSMBMii demo were over NSMBWii.  Yeah if they release games that look like Wii Sports then maybe there will be some backlash and casuals won't understand why they need a new console.  But that Zelda demo?  Anyone sees that I they get it because they never saw any Wii games that looked like that.

Forget about the screen.  This thing has more power.  Show that!

I have to disagree with you on that, Ian.  Sure, by all means show off the power of the device, but the problem is that it isn't immediately apparent that this device is any more powerful than the HD consoles we already have on the market.  You emphasize the power, and I have to start asking questions why I want this device when my existing consoles have games that look quite nice.

There are really two big things I want Nintendo to prove to me with this device:

1.  There's a reason to even have that expensive touchscreen controller.  They went off on the Press Conference about how this would "change the way you play games again", but to me it's just another device with a touchscreen.  It's nothing new, and frankly it wasn't even used in many interesting ways on the DS either.  The "you can play games on it while someone else uses your TV" gimmick is useless to me because I live on my own and I don't watch TV anymore.  If there's a show I want to watch while gaming, I watch it on my computer.  They need to justify to me that this device is not only something I want, but that it will truly lead to new and better ways of playing games.  If Nintendo wants me to buy this thing, they need to show off that there is a reason to play games with this controller besides just being "different".  Right now, it looks "different" and "inferior".

2.  That Nintendo is actually going to do new and interesting things with their existing franchises, as well as create whole new franchises that really couldn't already be done on Wii.  This has been a systemic problem of Nintendo's for generations now, and it needs to be resolved.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 01:04:32 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 09, 2011, 12:51:54 PM »
I still think NintendoStream was the best suggested name and I'm not even terribly fond of it.

There were rumors that Nintendo was looking at the name Stream and considering that. But apparently they were set on continuing the "Wii" brand name due to its sales success. Unfortunately, there's really no way you can reconcile putting the words "Wii" and "Stream" together. I think the reason is pretty obvious. ;) Imagine how the reaction would have been if the name were "Wii Stream".

I'm sure its something that was tossed around over at the Corporate HQ, and Miyamoto and Iwata and whoever else was there probably had some good laughs over it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:54:02 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 09, 2011, 12:51:56 PM »
@Ian - The people who will get confused aren't the same people who buy Zelda. They couldn't care less who Link is. They're playing Wii Sports and the art direction in those types of games don't lend themselves well to superior graphics. It all kind of looks the same besides some smoother edges.

@Chozo - Duly noted. However, I didn't say "Wii Stream." I said "NintendoStream" similar to "Nintendo3DS." I fully understand why they wanted to keep the Wii brand (and I believe I addressed this in an earlier post). "Wii Stream" carries the same issues as "WiiU" (in addition to the obligatory facepalm-inducing pee-pee jokes). It still sounds like an addition or extension to the original Wii rather than a completely new product.

My point was that using a number instead of a word would help differentiate it. Furthermore, removing the Wii brand (hence "NintendoStream" instead of "Wii Stream") differentiates it even more. I think either would help avoid confusion, but this was all for the sake of discussion.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 01:04:00 PM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 09, 2011, 01:52:28 PM »
I don't know if it has been mentioned as I'm sure it has been assumed, but the uScreen has a headphone jack too.
http://www.1up.com/news/e3-quick-zelda-high-definition

It wasn't in the official spec sheet so I thought I would post it here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Wuu News Dump
« Reply #262 on: June 09, 2011, 03:14:25 PM »
Mass Effect Wuu?
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/27616/mass-effect-wii-u/
Mass Effect would be a "really nice fit" for Wii U. That's according to EA Games chief Frank Gibeau.

In an interview with GameTrailers, Gibeau was asked if Mass Effect 3 would be coming to the Wii U and although he said that EA hasn't announced anything, he admitted that it would be nice.

"I can't say we are going to do it on the Wii U, but you can imagine what we could do with that controller in the Mass Effect universe. It feels like a really nice fit, but we'll announce that when the time is right."

Activsion is supporting Wuu
Activision: "you bet against Nintendo at your peril."
http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6317743/e3-2011-activision-supporting-wii-u

id Software continues the 3rd Party Self Fulfilling Prophecy
Hope to build fan base for your games, but commit no games to build fan base with...
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-09-id-cautious-over-wii-u-development
"The Nintendo market is a tough market for us to get into," he explained. "A lot of first party games, a lot of licensed games – those are the ones that have done the best on that platform. I'd love it if we can get a hardcore FPS community going and build on it, but it's tough.

"I think we should keep our toes where we know best," he added.

Ken Levine (Bioshock)is excited about Wuu...
but not sure about developing for it....
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306420/news/wii-u-sounds-pretty-fing-cool-says-excited-levine/
BioShock creator Ken Levine has told CVG he's excited by the prospect of the Wii U as a gamer, but hasn't decided whether or not developing for the new Nintendo console makes sense for Irrational Games.

THQ: Darksiders II was ready up and ready to show on Wuu
Nintendo said "No" we will show PS360 footage instead.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-09-thq-has-darksiders-ii-running-on-wii-u
The third-party game footage shown during Nintendo's E3 press conference this week to demonstrate Wii U was taken from PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 code – but at least one game is already up and running on the new console.

And it looks just as good on Wii U as it does on PS3 and Xbox 360.

That game is THQ's Darksiders II, which developer Vigil spent five weeks building for Wii U in anticipation of a reveal at E3.

"We have Darksiders II completely running on the Wii U right now," THQ core games boss Danny Bilson told Eurogamer today.

"It took about five weeks. Coming into the show we were ready to go. We could have demonstrated it on the hardware but they [Nintendo] decided not to have full games shown in the booth."

Instead, as confirmed by Nintendo this week, PS3 and Xbox 360 footage was shown to reveal that Darksiders II is set for launch on Wii U, due out next year.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 09, 2011, 03:24:58 PM »
hasn't decided whether or not developing for the new Nintendo console makes sense for Irrational Games.

Heh.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 09, 2011, 03:25:41 PM »
Mass Effect:
I personally rather get a Mass Effect Trilogy like the Prime one with the new controls implemented in all of them and updated graphics, maybe all the DLC, etc.

Activision:
Diablo 3 Wuu confirmed lol

id Software:
Lazy.

Ken Levine:
(Read) I have no other games then Bioshock and I don't want to admit my well has gone dry.

THQ:
That sort of stinks but, it was probably better to not allow for the singling out of any developer.  Though 5 Weeks that's not bad for moving to totally new Hardware.  Hopefully this gives them plenty of time for Cleanup and optimization of controls and mechanics.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 09, 2011, 03:27:35 PM »
I hope Tim Schafer will support the Wii-U with an exclusive sequel to Brutal Legend. Such a game would be perfect with the new controller. Imagine ordering your headbangers and other units around using a touch screen...
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 09, 2011, 03:30:58 PM »
I hope Tim Schafer will support the Wii-U with an exclusive sequel to Brutal Legend. Such a game would be perfect with the new controller. Imagine ordering your headbangers and other units around using a touch screen...

I wouldn't mind a Psychonauts Directors Cut since it never came to a Nintendo console.
All upgraded into HD with added content and innovative use of the new controls.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 09, 2011, 03:36:33 PM »
It looks as if Apple has beaten Nintendo to the punch:

http://www.1up.com/news/forget-wii-u-ipad-offers-dual-screen-gaming-this-fall
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 03:39:00 PM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 09, 2011, 03:45:26 PM »

Yeah, we've... well I've know n about that. But they have one game... I posted something about it around here somewhere.

but then there is also this
This functionality is done wirelessly with a connection to an Apple TV, a media receiver that connects to your television. Apple currently sells them for $99 through its website, a price that makes it dramatically cheaper than whatever the Wii U ends up at.

I think they forgot that you still need to buy an iPad2 which is gonna run you a minimum of $499 and then you have to buy an AppleTV which will run you another $99.

So do you buy a Wuu with lots of games for ~$300-$350
or do you buy an iPad2 + AppleTV for a combined total of atleast $600?

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 09, 2011, 03:50:39 PM »

Yeah, we've... well I've know n about that. But they have one game... I posted something about it around here somewhere.

but then there is also this
This functionality is done wirelessly with a connection to an Apple TV, a media receiver that connects to your television. Apple currently sells them for $99 through its website, a price that makes it dramatically cheaper than whatever the Wii U ends up at.

I think they forgot that you still need to buy an iPad2 which is gonna run you a minimum of $499 and then you have to buy an AppleTV which will run you another $99.

So do you buy a Wuu with lots of games for ~$300-$350
or do you buy an iPad2 + AppleTV for a combined total of atleast $600?

The whole point of this article was to show that the novelty of Nintendo's new gimmick is already getting competition.

BnM, do you think that Nintendo will unveil a more advance motion controller and a wireless CCPro? I ask because it seems foolish to abandon that part of the industry with this new tablet controller. I would be more receptice of this new console if I had a better motion controller to play games with. Motion controls is no longer a gimmick to me, but a way to play certain games.

Offline Despicable

• Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 09, 2011, 03:57:18 PM »
Looks Cool

;D
Dad I'm in Space

I'm Proud of You Son

Dad are you in Space?

Yes now we are Family again.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 09, 2011, 04:02:30 PM »

BnM, do you think that Nintendo will unveil a more advance motion controller and a wireless CCPro? I ask because it seems foolish to abandon that part of the industry with this new tablet controller. I would be more receptice of this new console if I had a better motion controller to play games with. Motion controls is no longer a gimmick to me, but a way to play certain games.
It supports the Wiimote+ which the CCPro attaches to making it wireless (in a way).

But the uScreen is everything the CCPro is and more, so I don't know why you want to use the CCPro in it's place unless you are talking about more than one player.

To answer the other part of your question, The uScreen is a more advanced motion controller as it appears to include everything the Wiimote did only have better motion tracking through (I would guess) the front facing camera (by face tracking?).
But I would love to see an improved Wiimote 2.0, but honestly, if they allow a second uScreen, then I see no point in another upgraded wiimote, unless it's just to improve the motion tracking itself.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 09, 2011, 04:09:46 PM »
I want a motion controller that I can be aggressive with and I do not see that happening with the tablet. What I have in mind is similar to Move and the current Wiimote is going to get old pretty fast. Especially after Skyward Sword is launched. However, I do not hate the Umote, but I want more motion controllers.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 09, 2011, 04:14:19 PM »
A motion camera in a sensor bar 2.0 would have been a nice update.
But considering how we have almost no info about the actual system itself, we don't know what it will use just yet. This E3 was mostly just about the controller and what is possible with it.
And from what Nintendo demonstrated with the uScreen, a wiimote 2.0 that has the same/similar detection would be very nice.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 09, 2011, 04:20:57 PM »
A motion camera in a sensor bar 2.0 would have been a nice update.
But considering how we have almost no info about the actual system itself, we don't know what it will use just yet. This E3 was mostly just about the controller and what is possible with it.
And from what Nintendo demonstrated with the uScreen, a wiimote 2.0 that has the same/similar detection would be very nice.

This leads me to believe that there is another controller for this sytem that Nintendo is holding out from us. I look for it to be unveiled at this year's TGS or some time next year at E3 2012. It does not make sense to me that Nintendo sold as many Wii consoles as they have with the idea of swinging your arms only to abandon the opprotunity to do it again. It is also unlike Nintendo to expect us to use older controllers for a new system. Why use the outdated Wiimote with the Umote when the Wiimote 2.0 can do a better job?