Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1572444 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #225 on: June 08, 2011, 09:46:58 PM »
The UuuuWiii won't confuse casual gamers and fans because even if they confuse it as an upgrade and not a new console, upgrades are generally worth the purchase. Just like anything Apple these days.

They'll know it's an upgrade and that's enough for them to consider finding out more where they'll become as affluent as we are.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 08, 2011, 10:25:37 PM »
I'm not sure if i mentiond it before, but they didnt really show the box, and because of this and the box's general simplistic design that I think that it is merely a prototype that will be redesigned. The Wii Controllers and the DS ended up going through a redesign before they were released. I think the aim with not showing the box other than a single image was to not confuse people. There is another year and a half before release. I'm sure Next e3 whatever confusion people will have will be ironed out.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 08, 2011, 11:15:56 PM »
The one thing that Nintendo needs to do at the very second they release the Wii U (or even before hand) - 100% completely discontinue the Wii and take back any unsold consoles. That's how you get a grip on any confusion (for the most part) that can happen when people want to buy one and end up with an original Wii.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Snake-Arms

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 08, 2011, 11:39:02 PM »
The one thing that Nintendo needs to do at the very second they release the Wii U (or even before hand) - 100% completely discontinue the Wii and take back any unsold consoles. That's how you get a grip on any confusion (for the most part) that can happen when people want to buy one and end up with an original Wii.

How's about they just design the console itself in a totally different fashion from the Wii?  Durr.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 08, 2011, 11:49:37 PM »
That's not enough, but they should definitely make it look a little bit more different than the Wii. One major difference is that the Wii has always been shown standing vertically in commercials, displays, etc, but the WiiU must lay horizontally (as of now at least), so it already look a little bit different. I mention they need to ditch the Wii immediately, because there's only a 1 letter difference between Wii and WiiU - and launching at Holiday 2012, there is potential for huge disappointments from kids waking up to find a console that launched 6 years earlier.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 08, 2011, 11:57:47 PM »
Ubisoft's exclusive's FPS was just announced--Killer Freaks for with WIIU. 

There's an trailer up at IGN.  Any clues on the "other" exclusive Ubisoft title (and no it's not Just Dance 4--they said it wasn't already).

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #231 on: June 09, 2011, 12:22:45 AM »
http://www.destructoid.com/e3-wii-u-scraps-friend-codes-for-username-friends-list-203359.phtml

No Friend Codes, Username and Friends List.

"Nintendo Enters the 21st Century!" say some people.

Yay?
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #232 on: June 09, 2011, 12:25:24 AM »
Yay, indeed.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline wyneGuyA1

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 09, 2011, 12:38:29 AM »
I think with the Wii U Nintendo hopes to get back the casual gamers that it lost to apple by offerering them simplistic games. They also hope to win back the hardcore with the HD games.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 09, 2011, 01:14:35 AM »
That's how you get a grip on any confusion (for the most part) that can happen when people want to buy one and end up with an original Wii.
Do you think anyone has wanted to buy a 3DS and ended up buying a DS Lite by mistake?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 09, 2011, 01:27:40 AM »
That's how you get a grip on any confusion (for the most part) that can happen when people want to buy one and end up with an original Wii.
Do you think anyone has wanted to buy a 3DS and ended up buying a DS Lite by mistake?

I do know someone who wanted to get a DSi and got a DS lite because they didn't know better. I'm sure that's happening all the time everyday. You have to admit there is a more significant change in the name from DS to 3DS than there is from the Wii to the Wii-u. The logo for the Wii-U is Wii with that weird u symbol thing after it, so I can see how people will read it as Wii with a weird thing at the end instead of "Wii-U". They probably won't pay any attention to that symbol at all and will be confused and not see any difference.

It may be an especially bad problem on Ebay where unscrupulous sellers routinely prey on consumer ignorance. I can see now sellers marketing old Wiis as "Wii-Us" and maybe in the very fine print they'll be honest about it, but how often do people read that? Expect cases of fraud to occur shortly after the Wii-U is launched. Its happened before.

http://www.destructoid.com/arizona-man-pays-400-for-wii-opens-box-to-find-a-block-of-wood-74190.phtml

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 01:36:15 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 09, 2011, 01:30:21 AM »
I think with the Wii U Nintendo hopes to get back the casual gamers that it lost to apple by offerering them simplistic games. They also hope to win back the hardcore with the HD games.
Nintendo is doing what they couldn't afford to do in 2006, appeal to the hardcore gamer and the casual crowd. That would have required them to release an HD console so they could get 3rd party ports. They didn't think people were willing to buy a $400 console and I'm not sure they could have matched the processing power of 360/PS3 without taking a loss at that price. They chose weaker hardware, appealed to non-gamers, and made boatloads of money. Although, they had no idea what they had on their hands when Wii was selling out a year and a half later and people were price gouging on ebay. Honestly, I think they made a wise choice. Wii made Nintendo relevant again even if hardcore gamers turn their noses up at the Wii.

When I look at the current generation and ahead to the next generation, I see people basically deciding which 1st party titles appeal to them the most because 3rd party games will probably be released across the board. What I think Nintendo wants, in addition to the casual gamers who jumped on the Wii bandwagon, is for hardcore gamers who are also Nintendo fans and who bought multiple consoles this generation to only buy WiiU or at least have WiiU be their main console rather than the Wii60 or PSWii thing. Any other hardcore gamer who purchases WiiU is a bonus. They don't want a stored-in-closet-except-for-parties console. I consider myself Nintendo target hardcore audience. I bought PS3 partially because the Wii didn't have certain games and Microsoft's 1st party titles don't intrigue me. I'd happily buy 1 console if I could (and wait until competing consoles were super cheap to get those). I love Nintendo's 1st party offerings and if I got all the 3rd party hotness, I'd stick with WiiU and be content.
That's not enough, but they should definitely make it look a little bit more different than the Wii. One major difference is that the Wii has always been shown standing vertically in commercials, displays, etc, but the WiiU must lay horizontally (as of now at least), so it already look a little bit different.
I agree that they need to differentiate the design a bit more. WiiU looks too much like the Wii. However, I don't think pulling the Wii out of stores is a good idea. The Wii will probably continue to sell long after WiiU launches. After a price drop, it'll be the budget console similar to the PS2 is now.

As much as I like the idea of saving money by using peripherals I already own, I think it also would have been a good idea to rebrand the console. I believe people know Nintendo made the Wii and Nintendo is still a brand that people recognize, hardcore and casual. Nintendo would avoid confusion by naming and stylizing the console "NintendoStream" (similar to how Nintendo refers to DS/3DS as NintendoDS and Nintendo3DS respectively). I don't especially like that name but it's descriptive, includes the Nintendo brand, and definitively explains that it is, in fact, a brand new product. I don't think new remotes and such would be a major hurdle. If people find the system worth buying and/or they think the tablet controller is the best thing since the Wii remote, they'll buy it. Period. If you have a hit on your hands, people will spend money on it. I'm still amazed that Kinect and Move have done so well as I expected both to fail miserably. If Nintendo packed their new console with a tablet controller and a remote, they'd be fine.

Awesome! I still wonder if Valve helped them or maybe EA which may explain what the hell John Riccitiello was even doing at Nintendo's press conference. I would love to hear Nintendo say their online system is "Steam-based so it doesn't suck. All thanks to Valve." Still, I wonder if this gloriousness can be brought over to 3DS and my WiiU online identity can be carried over to (my eventual) 3DS. Anyway, all around exciting stuff. It's weird not seeing Nintendo fumble around like reh-tards.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 01:38:54 AM by Adrock »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 09, 2011, 01:41:31 AM »
http://www.destructoid.com/e3-wii-u-scraps-friend-codes-for-username-friends-list-203359.phtml

Yay?

Yay varily!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 09, 2011, 01:46:52 AM »

Yay?

HELL YEAH!!

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 09, 2011, 02:04:21 AM »
Man you and these gifs!

Ok this new console is sounded absolutely amazing.

- Fantastic Max Controller!
- More power than the PS360, graphics wise what more can really be done? I like pixar visuals for games.
- Awesome 3rd Party games! And I aint got no other consoles so this is a huge plus for me!
- Usernames and Friends lists!
- All my old controllers I thought I would throw out are completely usable.
- Nintendo games with real horse power and HD
- Sakurai going to let his team balance the smash brothers and sisters!

This E3 is the best E3 ever for me!

RomanceDawn

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: June 09, 2011, 02:33:20 AM »
You have to admit there is a more significant change in the name from DS to 3DS than there is from the Wii to the Wii-u.
I don't see how there is, the Nintendo 3DS logo looks exactly the same as the Nintendo DS logo with the exception of the red 3.

It may be an especially bad problem on Ebay where unscrupulous sellers routinely prey on consumer ignorance.
Changing the name won't stop such things from happening. We can't blame Nintendo for consumer ignorance and it is up to the individual to be informed. If they get scammed, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
Metal Gear on WU?
« Reply #241 on: June 09, 2011, 02:47:38 AM »
http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=15688
At last year's unveiling of the Nintendo 3DS many fans were pleasantly surprised to see Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D announced. With this week's announcement of the Nintendo Wii U Eurogamer has asked creative producer Yoshikazu Matsuhana if they're considering bringing a Metal Gear Solid game out on Wii U.

Mr. Matsuhana says they were approached by Nintendo a while ago and have been in discussion with them regarding their new console. While he admits they probably won't have anything available for launch he says that they are "very much thinking about possibilities with the Wii U" and adds that he thinks it is "a very fun system".

He goes on to say that public opinion is important and will play a role in the deciding process. "We're also looking at the public reaction. If there are enough people who say they want us to bring something to the Wii U that also factors into things." When pressed for information as to whether Metal Gear Solid 5 would be released on the Wii U he simply said it was top secret.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 09, 2011, 03:24:27 AM »
Killer Freaks from Outer Space
Official Site: http://www.alien-conspiracy.com/index2.html
Has a CG(?) Trailer of the game.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 09, 2011, 04:33:24 AM »
lol looks like alien rabbids, hmm it looks really good. Some things about that make me think its CG, but there was a little bit of stuff in it that made me think not...but its probably cg
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 04:35:59 AM by ThePerm »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 09, 2011, 05:06:20 AM »
Man you and these gifs!

Ok this new console is sounded absolutely amazing.

- Fantastic Max Controller!
- More power than the PS360, graphics wise what more can really be done? I like pixar visuals for games.
- Awesome 3rd Party games! And I aint got no other consoles so this is a huge plus for me!
- Usernames and Friends lists!
- All my old controllers I thought I would throw out are completely usable.
- Nintendo games with real horse power and HD
- Sakurai going to let his team balance the smash brothers and sisters!

This E3 is the best E3 ever for me!

I am getting more and more excited for the Wii U as time goes on, at first I was in shock, but I am excited for the potential. To those who don't like the name, get over it. The casual gamers will recognize what it is and the "hardcore" gamer honestly won't care about the name of the system when it comes to a purchase. So just move on.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 09, 2011, 05:15:05 AM »
Wii want to play U

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 09, 2011, 06:10:21 AM »
Adrock, you make a good point, but there's word of mouth, the mall tour, the news channels will report on the controller (as they already have been doing) and there'll be controversy about the violence in some of the new games as well, bringing added attention. People will have about a year to get used to the WiiU transformation, and if Nintendo is smart, there'll be plenty of WiiU trailers highlighted on the Wii and 3DS.

Having said that, making the controller backwards compatible with the Wii would have been kind of cool, but it would also give people an incentive to not buy the new system, which from a business standpoint isn't so great.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 09, 2011, 06:16:55 AM »
Adrock, you make a good point, but there's word of mouth, the mall tour, the news channels will report on the controller (as they already have been doing) and there'll be controversy about the violence in some of the new games as well, bringing added attention. People will have about a year to get used to the WiiU transformation, and if Nintendo is smart, there'll be plenty of WiiU trailers highlighted on the Wii and 3DS.

Having said that, making the controller backwards compatible with the Wii would have been kind of cool, but it would also give people an incentive to not buy the new system, which from a business standpoint isn't so great.

Maybe, or it may give people more incentive since they can upgrade to Wii U and not have to worry about shelling out $200 for controllers and nunchucks again. It can go either way. What Nintendo needs at launch is a compelling Casual game like Wii Sports that makes non-gamers go "Wow I want to try that!" and a solid hardcore title.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 09, 2011, 06:38:01 AM »

Maybe, or it may give people more incentive since they can upgrade to Wii U and not have to worry about shelling out $200 for controllers and nunchucks again. It can go either way. What Nintendo needs at launch is a compelling Casual game like Wii Sports that makes non-gamers go "Wow I want to try that!" and a solid hardcore title.

Well, it looks like they've got the solid hardcore titles down pat, I'm guessing that they're saving the casual games for a more appropriate setting because of all the **** they've gotten at past E3s for having casual games on display. Casuals don't watch E3 unless they work for CNN.

The great thing about the WiiU or at least potentially, is a drastic improvement in casual games. Hopefully they will not only be deeper in integration, but wider in their variety. That shuriken throwing demo could easily be in WiiUSPorts, or UNintendogs as Frisbees or treats (speaking of which, UNintendogs would be probably be pretty cool with that controller, like a giant DS version (and speaking of that, Nintendo is turning all of our TVs into giant DSs**)), bird watching would be an interesting addition to WiiUSports if it looked like that demo and the controller is your binoculars, and there are a bunch of other good ideas for the controller as well. I'm glad to see 'hardcore' titles will be making good use of the controller (although I'm not sure if I actually want to make a 180degree turn to see what's behind me), but I think we'll see better casual use, as far as the screen goes beyond maps and additional views.

Then there's also the nongaming features that Nintendo hopefully goes hard with.

**So, now that our TVs are going to be giant DSs, are we going to be able to play DS games on the big screen? How about 3DS for those with a 3DTV? That would be freaking awesome imo.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 09, 2011, 07:18:23 AM »

Well, it looks like they've got the solid hardcore titles down pat, I'm guessing that they're saving the casual games for a more appropriate setting because of all the **** they've gotten at past E3s for having casual games on display. Casuals don't watch E3 unless they work for CNN.

The great thing about the WiiU or at least potentially, is a drastic improvement in casual games. Hopefully they will not only be deeper in integration, but wider in their variety. That shuriken throwing demo could easily be in WiiUSPorts, or UNintendogs as Frisbees or treats (speaking of which, UNintendogs would be probably be pretty cool with that controller, like a giant DS version (and speaking of that, Nintendo is turning all of our TVs into giant DSs**)), bird watching would be an interesting addition to WiiUSports if it looked like that demo and the controller is your binoculars, and there are a bunch of other good ideas for the controller as well. I'm glad to see 'hardcore' titles will be making good use of the controller (although I'm not sure if I actually want to make a 180degree turn to see what's behind me), but I think we'll see better casual use, as far as the screen goes beyond maps and additional views.

Then there's also the nongaming features that Nintendo hopefully goes hard with.

**So, now that our TVs are going to be giant DSs, are we going to be able to play DS games on the big screen? How about 3DS for those with a 3DTV? That would be freaking awesome imo.

See it is the potential stuff like you illustrated that is getting me more excited for the possibilities of Wii U. The fact is that it looks to bring, once again, something fresh to the gaming market, and at the same time looks to be built around pulling in the core gamers along with casuals. At the very least, it is an alternative to PS3 or 360 with its control scheme. No longer will there be an excuse for lack of power under the hood. At best, if Nintendo pulls it off, it will change ways people think about and interact with games in ways which go beyond motion controls.