Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1587739 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #175 on: June 07, 2011, 10:54:12 PM »
I imagine our index or middle fingers are going to be able to rest on the the L and R triggers, while our index fingers (if we so choose) can rest on the shoulder ZL and ZR buttons (and YES, there are four shoulder buttons/triggers -- not two.)

Ok, there are actually 4 triggers.  That takes care of that problem then.  I've only seen 2 triggers in the images I've seen, so it's nice to know that there actually are 4 of them.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 08, 2011, 12:09:47 AM »
That really is some lovely Zelda footage.  It's a pity it's shackled to that controller.  Maybe Nintendo will see sense and redesign it to a much more logical layout.

I'm wondering exactly what you want them to do with it.

My main complaint is that the analog sticks (and they need to be analog sticks, not the 3DS Circle Pads) and the D-pad/buttons need to be reversed.  The D-pad goes on top with the left analog stick underneath it on the left side of the screen, and the 4 primary buttons go on top with the right analog stick underneath them on the right side of the screen.  Both sets need to be slanted so that the thumbs can easily slide between the top and bottom items on both sides.  If necessary (because I can understand the argument about not putting the D-pad in the "primary position"), the left analog stick and D-pad can remain where they are, but they still need to be slanted.  This is the same control layout the Classic Controller Pro uses, and it is an excellent controller so I don't see the point in messing with what has proven to work extremely well for decades.

Also, if I understand it correctly, there are only L and R shoulder triggers.  For ease of 3rd party porting, there need to be 2 triggers on each side of the device.

As for the controller's shape, I don't like the box-y shape of it, nor how flat it is like an iPad.  It's more a handheld than a console controller.  It should be smaller and more rounded to make it more comfortable for longer play sessions.  They could do this without altering the size of the screen.
I'm thinking because those of us who haven't been able to hold the controller yet don't realize, that the non-slanted placement of the sticks/buttons/d-pad might be better based on how the backside of the controller is constructed. I imagine our index or middle fingers are going to be able to rest on the the L and R triggers, while our index fingers (if we so choose) can rest on the shoulder ZL and ZR buttons (and YES, there are four shoulder buttons/triggers -- not two.)
Also, having the second stick on the bottom or top is unimportant, i prefer the stick at the top, and I think Sony has it backwards not Nintendo. On the left side its always been on the top on an Xbox or gcn controller and on the right side on the bottom, but iv always felt like the stick on the bottom felt weird ALWAYS. Besides if you have your thumb on a stick you use the trigger buttons more in a game like that. Having a stick on the top might actually make it playable for me who has always had a problem with dual analog shooting games.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #177 on: June 08, 2011, 12:11:18 AM »
When New Super Mario Bros. Mii was shown, I'm sure Jon Lindemann shuddered.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 08, 2011, 12:50:02 AM »
From what I have heard, the analog controls are not 3DS slide pads and everyone who has touched it seems positive about them. Here is a closeup video at Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/5809519/take-a-tour-of-the-amazing-wii-u-controller-in-our-hands?tag=wii-u

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 08, 2011, 12:52:04 AM »
That's good, I was a little worried when I saw the sticks so it is nice to know they still feel like analogue sticks.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 08, 2011, 02:14:48 AM »
OK I may have bad news that if true will piss me off to no end. It just can't be true though, I feel like interpretation of the question was wrong.

Only ONE TABLET PER CONSOLE PERIOD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdn2YOKP9RU&feature=youtu.be

We asked a company spokesperson at the firm's VIP stand at E3 2011 in Los Angeles today about the price of each item. He told us that there would only be one bundled RRP, adding: "Both the controller and the console will be sold as one unit. You won't be able to buy the controller alone."

The rep also told us that multiplayer games being created for the system are only being designed to accomodate one tablet-style controller, whilst other players will need to use a Wiimote. It is currently unknown whether it is possible to sync more than one of the new controllers to a single Wii U.

Usually when Nintendo pulls a bone headed move it comes to light very quickly, but I havnt seen much about this aside from the tiny chat I had with some of you here.

Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 08, 2011, 02:16:06 AM »
That can't be. They would be stupid to do that.

The only reason I could see being used as an excuse is if it wasn't feasibly possible. If that's the case then don't even bother releasing it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 08, 2011, 02:34:16 AM »
Looks like the discs will hold 25GBs, that is awesome. May not be blu-ray branded but who cares?

http://uk.kotaku.com/5809701/wii-u-discs-will-be-25gb-in-size
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 08, 2011, 03:02:53 AM »
I watched the Darksiders 2 trailer on Gamtrailers and it looks a little different than the video we saw during the Nintendo press conference. I think the Nintendo one looked a little crisper, not as dark. Not sure if that means anything.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 08, 2011, 03:18:06 AM »
Here is a picture of the EA game backdrop when Riccitello was talking at the Nintendo press conference. Is that the standard EA 2011 banner or are they all games/franchises coming to the Wii U?

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 08, 2011, 05:45:25 AM »
I watched the Darksiders 2 trailer on Gamtrailers and it looks a little different than the video we saw during the Nintendo press conference. I think the Nintendo one looked a little crisper, not as dark. Not sure if that means anything.

Apparently some or most of the third party games used footage from the other versions. I don't know which ones.

Offline johnn

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Super Mario Toys
« Reply #186 on: June 08, 2011, 06:23:40 AM »
That Zelda tech demo is really impressive. I do hope they are working on a new (HD) Zelda already with music by that E3 orchestra.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 08, 2011, 07:48:33 AM »
Looks like the discs will hold 25GBs, that is awesome. May not be blu-ray branded but who cares?

http://uk.kotaku.com/5809701/wii-u-discs-will-be-25gb-in-size
Hopefully they will have the option of dual layer etc. much later in its life.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 08, 2011, 08:33:01 AM »
I always said it would have a BluRay drive, and according to other sources, that is in fact what the console has in it. Also they say it will have an SATA hard drive in addition to the internal 8GB flash.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 08, 2011, 08:38:08 AM »
By the way I don't know if it was mentioned, but Miyamoto confirmed that Pikmin 3 will be on Wii U and not on Wii.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 08, 2011, 10:28:59 AM »
I always said it would have a BluRay drive, and according to other sources, that is in fact what the console has in it. Also they say it will have an SATA hard drive in addition to the internal 8GB flash.

Who said this? I didn't see this? but I just woke up.

By the way I don't know if it was mentioned, but Miyamoto confirmed that Pikmin 3 will be on Wii U and not on Wii.

This has been mentioned in the conference thread and a NWR news story as soon as it was mention by Miyamoto last nite during the roundtable.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 08, 2011, 10:33:52 AM »
OK I may have bad news that if true will piss me off to no end. It just can't be true though, I feel like interpretation of the question was wrong.

Only ONE TABLET PER CONSOLE PERIOD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdn2YOKP9RU&feature=youtu.be

We asked a company spokesperson at the firm's VIP stand at E3 2011 in Los Angeles today about the price of each item. He told us that there would only be one bundled RRP, adding: "Both the controller and the console will be sold as one unit. You won't be able to buy the controller alone."

The rep also told us that multiplayer games being created for the system are only being designed to accomodate one tablet-style controller, whilst other players will need to use a Wiimote. It is currently unknown whether it is possible to sync more than one of the new controllers to a single Wii U.

Usually when Nintendo pulls a bone headed move it comes to light very quickly, but I havnt seen much about this aside from the tiny chat I had with some of you here.

Oh Nintendo... it's always gotta be something. Such wasted potential for some local mulitplayer.
atleast beef it up to allow for 2 tablets and 4 wiimotes.

Imagine the possibilities of 6 player local
A 2 player squad of MGS style players vs 4 Wiimote holding guards that are tracking you down.
(you could do this with out a 2 player team, but it's funner this way.)
2 uscreen players communicate with each other to beat the level like usual and the other 4 pay guards that are trying to stop them. If they get killed they respawn as a different guard in a different area. Metal Gear Solid fun for everyone.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 08, 2011, 11:16:43 AM »
If this is true then my favorite new gen franchise mass effect is coming to the wii u
Here is a picture of the EA game backdrop when Riccitello was talking at the Nintendo press conference. Is that the standard EA 2011 banner or are they all games/franchises coming to the Wii U?

Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 08, 2011, 11:36:50 AM »
So, what if it's only one controller per system?

How much do 'hardcore' gamers do local multiplayer? It's much more likely that the casuals will be playing local multiplayer. Nintendo might finally be joining the online movement, but I do wish you could at least have two tablet controllers. Hopefully, there's still time for them to do something about this, perhaps two radios on different frequencies or a little more processing power in the controller itself, but I'm not sure this is as much of a deal breaker as it may have initially seemed to me.

Edit: On a separate issue; http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/08/nintendo-admits-its-wii-u-highlight-reel-was-spiced-up-with-ps3/
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 08, 2011, 12:36:15 PM »
Darksiders II Developers confirm that the Wii U is more powerful the 360 and PS3 and that the Wii U version may be the best version of the game.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/06/07/could-project-caf-233-be-the-best-platform-for-darksiders-ii.aspx

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #195 on: June 08, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
Crap, have to kill the story. Apparently, there was a misunderstanding. No confirmation of Wii U controller playing Wii games.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:53:34 PM by Nick DiMola »
Check out PixlBit!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 08, 2011, 01:55:45 PM »
Jason Ross just confirmed for me that the Wii U tablet controller can be used to play Wii games and will be able to display the games on the controller.

Details here

Oh, also the sensor bar from the Wii is compatible with the Wii U. They said everything that came with the Wii can be used with Wii U. Cool news, I thought. I'm guessing Wii games that don't require motion control will look really nice on the little tablet screen.

nope sorry. Documented for the whole forum to witness ;)
that would have been pretty cool though. But playing Wii games on a 6" screen using the sensor strip on the controller would be quite experience. Imagine 4 players huddled around that screen. soo much fun.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:58:11 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #197 on: June 08, 2011, 02:50:49 PM »
Haha. I guess the guy misunderstood Jason the first 2 times he asked. He went back, to make sure one more time, and the claimed that he thought he was just asking if the system was backwards compatible. Apparently once he realized the real question, the rep said he had no idea and withdrew his previous answer.

If you ask me, it seems plausible enough (hence why I asked Jason to ask them), but yeah, nothing solid still on that. For reference, I'd love to play Brawl on the tablet screen just chilling in bed.

We asked a whole bunch of other questions too, but got nothing out of the reps (apparently just like the NWR guys), so it seems Nintendo is pretty tight lipped right now on the system. Oh well.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 08, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »
The sensor bar being compatible with the Wii-U is disappointing news, because it means it will still be required. I was hoping they would have found a way to do motion gaming without the need for it.
is your sanity...

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 08, 2011, 03:10:36 PM »
One controller kinda sucks.  I guess you can do co-op easy enough with one guy using the big screen all to himself/herself.  Still After I recovered I began to think how this controller will effect the "core" gamers.  You can easily hold the controller with one hand (they showned a pic with some 7-8 year old doing it) and still use the touch screen.  This could open up the consoles to a few areas where the xbox/ps3 don't--MMO and RTS games.  MS tried with a few RTS but players had a hard time managing units effective with just an alalog.  With the touch screen you can easily pick units, rope them together, even lay down path for them to follow.  Sony's has/had an keyboard/mouse option but I think only UT3 supported the damn thing.  Pikmin 3 is already on it's way but a few more PC ports could easily show up as well IMO.

MMO could use the touchpad mulitple ways--one would be quick select.  MS uses the "wheel" which is still pretty limited while the touch pad can easily be broken down to say 104 keys?  I'm not much into voice chatting but I can text easy enough.  Surprised to see almost zero MMO's on consoles but I expect that to change.