Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1586782 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2011, 06:16:02 PM »
I just want to make it clear that I'm not disappointed in the WiiU presentation, I actually thought some of the concepts in the video were pretty neat. I just wanted to see more of it, so I have no real interest in the system at this time. But the fact that I do want to see more of it (preferably close to launch) goes to show that I'm not disappointed or against the system.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2011, 06:17:21 PM »
Point is once the Wii U games start rolling out nobody will remember that after selling 70+million consoles that the Wii had a bad last year and a half.

I'm not so sure, considering that this has been a systemic problem of Nintendo's for 3 console generations now.  The N64 was legendary for its utter lack of software its last several years, the GameCube had large game droughts as well its last few years, and the Wii is set to do the same its last few years.  How can you look at the Wii U after all that and think in all seriousness that it won't happen again, especially since Nintendo promised after each of those generations that it wouldn't?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2011, 06:17:46 PM »
WiiU get me a beer, please?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2011, 06:18:46 PM »
Kytim, what if they had Star Fox Adventures in the WiiU virtual console?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2011, 06:20:52 PM »
Point is once the Wii U games start rolling out nobody will remember that after selling 70+million consoles that the Wii had a bad last year and a half.

I'm not so sure, considering that this has been a systemic problem of Nintendo's for 3 console generations now.  The N64 was legendary for its utter lack of software its last several years, the GameCube had large game droughts as well its last few years, and the Wii is set to do the same its last few years.  How can you look at the Wii U after all that and think in all seriousness that it won't happen again, especially since Nintendo promised after each of those generations that it wouldn't?

Third parties /nuff said.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2011, 06:22:55 PM »
I'm as supportive of the system as one can get considering its buzz is strictly built of potential instead of any specific title. All the 3rd party games they showed will be available on hardware I already own. I'm still glad they're coming to WiiU. Telling me Super Smash Bros. is coming doesn't do anything fo me. They confirmed something I pretty much assumed was coming anyway. I wanted to see games, but considering the hardware is at least a year away, I'm not sweating it too much.

So far, my only disappointments are the name (it's silly, but I'll live) and the lack of the digital click on the L/R triggers. That's it.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2011, 06:23:39 PM »

They say they're going to support the Nintendo console at the beginning of every console cycle.  How's that working out for you?  /nuff said.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2011, 06:28:47 PM »
I hate typing WiiU or Wii-U or whatever. I wish it had any other name, because I feel like an idiot when I spell the name or try to pronounce it. The name goes against reason and sanity. Reggie should have made a stand and said "No F---ing way am I going out there in front of everyone and telling them this is what we're calling our next console!"
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
Well /nuff said
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2011, 06:34:35 PM »
Well if you recall a couple of days ago I was mentioning how Nintendo is tied up with Wii and 3ds games at the moment. Which those games will be out at the end of the Year, Next E3 they'll show Wii U games, and I'm sure there will be enough to make you go what was i complaining about? Technically Wii is at the end of a drought, and it also just had a price reduction. Your pissed the last year has been lacking, but this year should be a decent year for Wii.  Skyward Sword looked sweet, and it has just now finally caught my attention.

Also, everyone should realize there is a graphical wall that was hit by the last HD systems. Even with upgrades its going to be hard to tell the difference in power. Its all up to the artists. For instance the last couple of Assassins Creed, and Mass Effect games barely look unreal.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2011, 06:34:43 PM »

They say they're going to support the Nintendo console at the beginning of every console cycle.  How's that working out for you?  /nuff said.

To be fair, Nintendo gave them an easy out for the last 3 generations. Moreso in the N64 and Wii gen than the GC one, but Wuu so far sounds like it could be pretty damn powerful and in a little box again.

Power 7 CPU with "lots of eDRAM" and probably a higher end R700 GPU.
all the control options you could want right out of the box (analogs, triggers, buttons, touch screen, motion, camera, tilt, wiimotes) and hopefully a competent online.

No real excuses this time around as far as I can see at this point.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:39:46 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2011, 06:37:04 PM »
Future 3rd party excuses might be "no money hats!"

The WiiU seems promising, very promising!
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 07, 2011, 06:38:12 PM »
i think reggie did a good job answering the questions, although some questions were plain stupid, i knew he was not going to reveal much, but hell, we still have TGS and GDC for more details.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 07, 2011, 06:39:49 PM »
not to mention who knows maybe they've been working on Wii U games this whole generation
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2011, 06:44:07 PM »
Kytim, what if they had Star Fox Adventures in the WiiU virtual console?

I have that game already, Shyguy. If Nintendo did something similar to what Sony did with the ability to transfer saves from the PS/2 memory cards onto the internal memory of the PS3 to use with games purchased on PSN then I would buy anything they have in store. I would prefer something like this because I would buy Twilight Princess again.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2011, 07:00:05 PM »
Wait, what? Maybe because you didn't play those games, but Nintendo made gajillions on Touch Generation games and the Balance board/Wii Fit. I may have played very few of those games, but they really weren't for me. That doesn't mean they didn't meet/exceed their potential.

If the best they can do is casual focused mini-game comps then, yeah, they failed to meet their potential even if they sold a gazillion games.  They should benefit nearly ALL games, not just a handful for a select audience that is impressed with gimmicks.  Seriously, you're telling me the fucking balance board met its potential?  It's pretty much a peripheral for one game!

The potential ideas people brainstormed when the remote was revealed just smoke the **** out of the usual implementation - mapping a button press to a remote shake.  Waggle is the reason I'm skeptical and that is a damn good one.

Wimote+ has been the standard for some time now. Welcome to 2010, I hope you enjoy your stay.

Wiimote+ ain't standard for ****.  It's used in like three games.  So are they requiring us to have Motion+ for Wii U motion control games or not?  That's a fair question.  A lot of people have normal remotes lying around and not everyone has Motion+.  But ideally for the next gen we should have improved motion control.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 07, 2011, 07:03:50 PM »
But Ian, you should at least be happy that this controller has all the buttons and directional inputs of a standard controller, so if developers don't want any motion or touch controls they can just use those. Lots of options, no forced compromises.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 07, 2011, 07:14:05 PM »
Wiimote+ ain't standard for ****.  It's used in like three games.  So are they requiring us to have Motion+ for Wii U motion control games or not?  That's a fair question.  A lot of people have normal remotes lying around and not everyone has Motion+.  But ideally for the next gen we should have improved motion control.

3 games 5 games 20 games. doesn't matter. It's the standard controller for the system as that is what comes in every box and it's the only thing they sell new anymore. It's the standard Wii controller starting last year going forward and it will continue to be the standard Wii controller going into 2012 and beyond.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 07, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
It's pretty much a peripheral for one game!

I think there's some Shaun White and Tony Hawk games which make use of it.

During the conference the live feed showed the Balance Board being used along with the Zapper and so on, so one could assume they will be supported with the new console, which they should be because there's no sense in re-inventing the wheel, especially when like you said they didn't really meet their full potential on the Wii. If they can carry over to the Hercules (that's what I'm calling the new console because I hate the official name), then that breathes some new life into these peripherals and possibly then they will be able to realize more of their potential. Like I said, the fact these peripherals were shown during the promo video thing for the new console is very promising.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:22:05 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #144 on: June 07, 2011, 07:23:31 PM »
It's pretty much a peripheral for one game!

I think there's some Shaun White and Tony Hawk games which make use of it.

A Rabbids and Monkey Ball game too.

3 games 5 games 20 games. doesn't matter. It's the standard controller for the system as that is what comes in every box and it's the only thing they sell new anymore. It's the standard Wii controller starting last year going forward and it will continue to be the standard Wii controller going into 2012 and beyond.

The problem is that a lot of people bought WiiMotes before M+ and weren't compelled to buy M+s or upgrade existing WiiMotes because there wasn't enough software to make you. Yeah, WSR was a must own, and it came with one, but nothing else did that was a must own.

WM+ isn't the standard, it's just the only thing being sold now. The standard is what we can assume everyone has, and not everyone has a M+
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:25:34 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 07, 2011, 07:25:21 PM »
Now it's time for them all to upgrade to wiimote+ or buy M+ add ons.

I'm sure if you try to use the old wiimote with the new system, it might prompt you to plug in M+ or use a wiimote+

Actually NWR should ask a question about that too.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2011, 07:27:04 PM »
Yeah, WSR was a must own, and it came with one, but nothing else did that was a must own.

Red Steel 2 and No More Heroes DS
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 07, 2011, 07:30:16 PM »
It's more of a niche thing, but the Tiger Woods games with M+ are must-own if you like golf games. And later this year we're getting a pretty huge must-own game for Motion+.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 07, 2011, 07:32:46 PM »
There are more games that use M+ than most people realize. The problem is many/most of them aren't very notable.

A full list can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_that_support_Wii_MotionPlus

There's only 5 games which REQUIRE it, but there are quite a bit that use it optionally.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:35:08 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 07, 2011, 07:36:29 PM »
Nintendo said the Motion+ tech was too expensive to use at launch, but looking back they really should have eaten that cost. I think the system would have seen much better support if the controller was capable of the things people wanted to do. Once M+ came out and they could do those things people had already moved on.

J.P. Corbran