Author Topic: The Thirsty Mage - Demos As Far As the Eye Can See  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Dlloyd82

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
The Thirsty Mage - Demos As Far As the Eye Can See
« on: April 04, 2020, 08:16:33 AM »

The pub just couldn't ignore the demos for two big Switch releases this year: Bravely Default 2 and Trails of Cold Steel 3.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/53409/the-thirsty-mage-demos-as-far-as-the-eye-can-see

The year of the RPG continues, and if you like to try them before you buy them, this was your week.

Let us know what you thought of the demo for Bravely Default II and Trails of Cold Steel 3 below in the comments.

On the panel:

• Thirsty Mage Host - David Lloyd
  • NWR Reviews Editor - Jordan Rudek
  • Talk Nintendo Podcast Host - Casey Gibson

Listen to The Mage on the following platforms:

Offline Gamer@Law

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Thirsty Mage - Demos As Far As the Eye Can See
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 08:59:58 PM »
Largely agreed with Jordan’s analysis of the Bravely Default II demo. 

Positives were the soundtrack (another top-tier Revo endeavor) and I liked the continuation of pop-up book graphics.   

From my perspective, none of the changes introduced in the demo created a better experience than what we saw in the first two games. While this Switch title may be an entry point for new fans, I agree that it fails to harness any of the console’s features that would create a unique and appealing experience. 

In terms of where I would begin with fixes...a turn indicator for each character and enemy would be my first (and arguably most pressing fix).  Not having this detracts from both the benefits of defaulting and the strategic element of combat.

I would also prefer a return to the random encounters of the first two titles vice seeing characters on the overworld map.  The ability to adjust the encounter rate in the first two games ranked among my favorite aspects.

The in-combat dialogue needs to be toned down or eliminated entirely.  Listening to Elvis repeat “Eat Sorcery” ad nauseam quickly grates on my nerves. 

A buff/debuff indicator showing the number of turns they last might be another helpful quality of life change.

Thanks to the cast for yet another excellent discussion!  (Still hoping for an Octopath episode—agree with Jordan’s take on that game as well.)

Offline riskman64

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: The Thirsty Mage - Demos As Far As the Eye Can See
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 11:56:24 PM »
Largely agreed with Jordan’s analysis of the Bravely Default II demo. 

Thanks to the cast for yet another excellent discussion!  (Still hoping for an Octopath episode—agree with Jordan’s take on that game as well.)

I see we have an individual of exquisite taste here! If my suspicions are correct, we'll hear about an Octopath sequel some time in the next 18 months, and here's hoping we can get an episode about the first game in before that.