Author Topic: RE: Nintendo DS Not Really Nintendo DS  (Read 3077 times)

Offline NewsBot

• News Posting Robot
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo DS Not Really Nintendo DS
« on: April 02, 2004, 10:49:09 AM »
Whatever it will eventually be called, we now know that it won't be named the Nintendo DS.

When Nintendo first annouced its new gaming device, it was named the Nintendo DS.  Everyone took this name and ran with it, of course, since we had nothing better to call it at the time.  Then, we stumbled upon another possible name for the system, Nitro.  Nintendo quickly quashed this name and replaced it with the more common Nintendo DS.

Now, thanks to Chris Morris and his latest CNN Money column, we know what the system won't be named: The Nintendo DS.  Nintendo's VP of Sales and Marketing, Reggie Fils-Aime, said in an interview with Morris that the DS name is simply a placeholder until the time the device does launch sometime later this year.

So, be it Nitro or something else, we've got another thing to look forward to at E3.  The price, release date and final name of Nintendo's new system should be revealed to the world on May 11, the date of Nintendo's pre-E3 press confrence.

"Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto ..."

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 11:48:12 AM »
Please don't call it Nitro.  God that name is lame.  I agree with Windy (in the news post comment) in that they'll probably use the Gameboy brand in the name somehow.  People are going to think this is a new Gameboy whether Nintendo wishes to consider it as such or not so they might as well slap the name on and reap the sales.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo DS Not Really Nintendo DS
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 11:54:23 AM »
As adamant as Nintendo is in stressing that the DS is NOT the Gamecube NOR the Gameboy, I hardly think they'll incorporate the latter into its eventual name.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 12:24:33 PM »
Nintendo denies that the final name will be "Nitro"...It was the code name used before "DS"(which, imo, is a great name)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 01:19:37 PM »
Yeah, DS is a great name. It sounds like a high tech gadget that will revolutionize the way the world thinks about gaming. I hope they don't screw it up and call it "Nitro" or something equally as lame. Perhaps there's a secret about the DS that we don't know, and it will be named after that? Like if it can float in midair, they'll call it the "Nintendo Floater"... bad example, but you understand what i mean.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 02:52:55 PM »

Please don't call it Nitro. God that name is lame.

I think Nintendo should call it the "Nitwo". It makes perfect sense. Nintendo + Two screens. Like how "Pokemon" = Pocket + Monsters

Pronounced like "night-woah". All the kids would wuv it.

*runs in terror from the guys with the pointy-sticks*
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 02:54:00 PM »
They should reeealy stick with DS but come up with a tag line that'll stick with it forever, something like, "Double the screens, double the trouble," but then people might get it mixed up with team rocket. Hey! Nintendo Rocket! No... Well anyway I'm pretty sure no other name will work as well.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo DS Not Really Nintendo DS
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2004, 01:39:50 AM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
As adamant as Nintendo is in stressing that the DS is NOT the Gamecube NOR the Gameboy, I hardly think they'll incorporate the latter into its eventual name.

I hope that they don't slap boy on the end of the new name but they did name virtual boy virtual boy and it had nothing to do with the Gameboy.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2004, 02:56:22 AM »
They should call it Nintendo Nexus, just because.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2004, 02:58:25 AM »
I say "Nintendo Mindfuck". Sign is a golden apple with the letter K written on it. Or the whole word "Kallisti".

Offline Kirby_PopStar

• Touches Nintendo DS at night.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2004, 08:24:44 AM »
A little bird told me that the official name for this upcoming system will be "GameBoy Nitro", but, well... this little bird has some mental problems, has no connections with Nintendo, and is imaginary. But, hey, a bird is a bird. XD
Famicom Commemorate -- Coming Soon!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2004, 09:08:46 AM »
You guys trying to give me a heart attack?  When I first read the title of this article i thought "Nintendo DS not really Dual Screen" and i was like

=O
>=O
=?
o_o
=o
^_^
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline fiveironalex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2004, 10:10:25 AM »
The Big N should take a hint from all those crazy animes with super long names.  It could be something like:

Nintendo Super Fun Fun Pocket Game Device Wild Action Mode Double Display Good Time Friend!!!
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Wii number: 7667 7856 9911 8753

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2004, 10:20:25 AM »
Pokedexes have two screens, do they not?

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2004, 09:05:11 AM »
Never one to be immune to trying to name new systems, I have come up with a name that I think would work.  Considering Nintendo denys that it will replace or supplant the Game Boy Advance, I think use of the Game Boy name is not going to happen.  Thus, I've come up with the following ...

Nintendo Duo.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2004, 11:05:01 AM »
Duo is a cool name but there's already the Turbo Duo so Nintendo probably wouldn't be able to use the name.