Author Topic: Super Mario 3D World: Almost the Best of All Possible Marios  (Read 12701 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: Super Mario 3D World: Almost the Best of All Possible Marios
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 01:44:13 PM »
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Webmalfunction

• Pokémon World Report
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 01:47:05 PM »
I just hope that this isnt THE Mario game, and is just a basic 3D one to satisfy fans while working on the actual console 3D Mario game.

If this is it, then I'll be insanely disappointed in EAD Tokyo and especially Nintendo for thinking this is enough.
Yoshiaki Koizumi mentioned that his main project is not Super Mario 3D World (if that spanish translation is accurate).

I can't wait to see his project. He is one of the greatest game designers in Nintendo right now and more than a worthy successor to Miyamoto even his vision clashes with Shiggy at times.
Don't forget to take Miyamoto's modern visions with a grain of salt.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 03:00:05 PM »
Super Mario 3D Land is my favorite game of all time. I would be ecstatic to get more of that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2013, 04:29:34 PM »
Super Mario 3D Land is my favorite game of all time. I would be ecstatic to get more of that.

Exactly, I'm not sure why a sequel to one game is suddenly a bad idea.  Most of the greatest games ever made are direct sequels for fucks sake.  It's one thing if we've already had several 3D Land style games and people are getting tired of them, but we've only had ONE so far.  Just ONE.

Seriously, all the haters can go **** themselves.  I want another game like 3D Land that can expand on that games gameplay the way Galaxy 2 greatly expanded on Galaxy 1's gameplay and created a much better game as a result.  This is why most of the time direct sequels are good things because they can make what the previous game did even better.  Yes it's one thing if it eventually becomes milked to death, but right now there's only one fucking game like this.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »

Seriously, all the haters can go **** themselves.

Whoa...chill out. Ain't nobody hating here. This here just be some folks discussing the relative merits of different strands of the Mario series.

I'll never understand why anything approaching criticism of Nintendo or their games has to be labelled 'hating'.

(I read 'To kill a Mockingbird' recently and can't stop using the colloquialisms "ain't" and "folks")
Gouge away.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 05:07:12 PM »
i believe 3D land had a fair bit of exploration but it was tarnished by the time limit (and you mostly got 1-ups for it anyways)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 05:24:54 PM »
Whoa...chill out. Ain't nobody hating here.
I recommend rereading the thread. Unless you mean "ain't nobody" as a double negative meaning somebody...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 05:52:32 PM »
Super Mario 3D Land isn't significantly more linear or less open to exploration that the Galaxy games were, Galaxy just did a better job of hiding it. It seems pretty clear at this point that EAD Tokyo doesn't want to make a Mario game with that much exploration emphasis, so I wouldn't get your hopes up for the next one being that way.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Webmalfunction

• Pokémon World Report
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2013, 06:51:31 PM »
Whoa...chill out. Ain't nobody hating here.
I recommend rereading the thread. Unless you mean "ain't nobody" as a double negative meaning somebody...
But nobody is hating. I think some people are responding to Neal's excitement by saying why the game isn't exciting to them, and are just responding to reasonable hype with reasonable anti-hype. Some people aren't excited because the first 3D Mario of a console is traditionally used to be the exciting, brand new application of Mario that no one has seen before. This game is not that. It is 3D Land 2.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2013, 07:40:15 PM »
Super Mario 3D Land isn't significantly more linear or less open to exploration that the Galaxy games were, Galaxy just did a better job of hiding it. It seems pretty clear at this point that EAD Tokyo doesn't want to make a Mario game with that much exploration emphasis, so I wouldn't get your hopes up for the next one being that way.
3d land has quite a few nicely hidden things but there is so little incentive to look for them...

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2013, 07:40:58 PM »
3d land has quite a few nicely hidden things but there is so little incentive to look for them...
and the time limit kills any incentive to do so

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2013, 11:31:05 PM »
You don't have to be a Nintendo apologist to like Wii Party U. The game's predecessor had a ton of fun multiplayer games and modes, and the Wii U version only seems better.
I never meant that to imply that only Nintendo apologists like Wii Party U or should like Wii Party U. My brief time with that game on the show floor was amusing. I meant that the title of that blog post reads as though Neal is aware that the game is perceived as not being good/creative/whatever, and that he's going out of his way to defend it.
I won't deny being a Nintendo apologist, but considering I started that off with "my reaction to Wii Party U was a sneer," you could think of a better example, TYP. :P
At least to me, the terms "apologist" and "fanboy" are not the same thing, though both could apply to the same person in a given situation. You were skeptical of the game at first (unlike a fanboy), but after you got some time with it you liked it, and now you are defending the game from unwarranted criticism or apathy. Since an apologist is someone who "speaks or writes in defense of someone or something", it is an appropriate label.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:43:27 PM by TheYoungerPlumber »
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2013, 07:59:44 PM »
Lets hope a new Wario Bros game comes out as well!
In general This Mario game looks amazing, it might even do better than then super mario 64 ( i doubt it) :cool;
Made you look ****.