Author Topic: Metroid Prime 3 Revolutionized  (Read 296361 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my pokĂ©-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Metroid Prime 3 Revolutionized
« Reply #525 on: May 24, 2007, 02:26:18 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666 Did you forget the main character gets by, by shooting things?  For like, the entire series?

Shooting things you've killed already and are easy to kill doesn't involve thinking. Solving puzzles using your gun or fighting new enemies which have unique vulnerabilities does.

Puzzletastic bosses in Super Metroid?  Hardly.  Stop generalizing.  jump, duck, and shoot. that's all.

Who's talking about Super Metroid? The bosses in Prime and P2 generally made you figure out a boss' weak point and attack pattern before you could kill it and it resulted in a very satisfying experience.

You make walking sound like a bad thing.  It's like you didn't try to traverse quickly or you didn't really know where you're supposed to go and you pay an excessive amount of attention to every square-foot of wall and floor you walk by.  You talk as if you had to stop at every enemy you meet, have tea, spend at least 30 seconds strafing around it to hit the weak spot, then finally kill it.  But all you had to do was jump over it and roll yourself to the next blue door (or screw attack, even).

I never played far enough to get the screw attack. I stopped playing shortly after the boost ball due to boredom, but that was after going back to it having quit the first time.

But you are right that the inclusion of a teleport would alleviate the backtracking impression.  But it would have to be lightning fast like Talking to Midna, and the locations not as generous.   The teleport rooms in SotN and Circle of the Moon were handy, but I felt they took forever to reach, despite the 2D gameplay (Alucard was slow, and Circle had a more convoluted level design).  All that other junk people mentioned about highlighting spots on maps would be helpful too.

I liked their placement in DoS. It kept you from having to traverse the map when you would gain little exp from it. I'd prefer it in Metroid for the same reason. Maybe even a "teleport to ship" option so you could at least go all the way back to your ship after beating a boss in the far off middle of nowhere (though I realize that might be more blasphemous to the franchise).

Be careful what you wish for.  I don't want MP3's game worlds to be a disappointingly predictable series of dungeon rooms with little to no branching, like what we got in Toilet Princess.

I personally like the convoluted nature of MP2.  More places and more interesting ways of hiding secrets, and less gigantic arena rooms with big pockets of empty air space.

I don't mind the hiding of secrets in complex environs. I just mind that I never had the correct weapon to open them when I found them and that meant that, if I wanted to be thorough, more backtracking.

EDIT:  Is that the best crab you could find?

You prefer the alternative?

"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 24, 2007, 03:37:58 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_BrotherI don't mind the hiding of secrets in complex environs. I just mind that I never had the correct weapon to open them when I found them and that meant that, if I wanted to be thorough, more backtracking.

That's what makes it interesting.  The world isn't designed to match up perfectly with your progress.  It makes the world feel more like a real place instead of a neat and tidy series of challenges put together by some game designer.
GOREGASM!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
RE: Metroid Prime 3 Revolutionized
« Reply #527 on: May 24, 2007, 05:39:41 PM »
Plot wise, skipping Metroid Prime 2 means next to nothing. All it does is reaffirm that the special ending of the first Metroid Prime is canon. If anyone needs help filling in the holes: The artist formerly known as Metroid Prime is still f*cking sh*t up and that's likely where Corruption begins.

If you played Metroid Prime, then you played Metroid Prime 2. Nothing really new there except it's harder and has a stupid ammo system inherently tied to a stupid plot device bootlegged from a 1991 SNES game. Echoes wasn't bad, it just wasn't great. The original kind of surprised a lot of people due to all the development problems and internal drama within Retro. Echoes had a lot to live up to.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my pokĂ©-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 24, 2007, 05:45:23 PM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39 The world isn't designed to match up perfectly with your progress.  It makes the world feel more like a real place instead of a neat and tidy series of challenges put together by some game designer.

I know what you're saying, but in order for it to feel like a REAL place, the enemies shouldn't respawn every time I walk into a room I JUST left. It would have been a lot less irritating if the monsters stayed dead, or at least after enough TIME, they were replaced with a HARDER monster which I then had to kill once.

I'm still thinking about Prime 3. The new hunters have got my interest piqued.

I'm guaranteed a rent, but a buy still might happen, depending on how psyched I get for the new control scheme.

Oh, and if anyone wants the template...

Enjoy!  
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 23, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
Mmmmm, new details from Play Magazine!

- First level - You are attacked on a spaceship while meeting with the ship’s captain…action packed
- Play feels motion controls work better than dual joystick
- Super sensitive pointer in “advanced” mode
- Beam stacking ala Super Metroid
- Visor switch: Hold minus and flick Wiimote in certain directions
- Boss fight with Ridley at the end of the first level. Excellent difficulty curve by the time you reach the boss.
- Back tracking in MP3:C makes more sense than in previous Primes
- Extra development time was to give the game more polish. Nintendo wanted “Twilight Princess” levels of polish. Game is focused on Metroid fans and hardcore gamers, but still accessible to newcomers due to controls.
- Second level - floating city focused on exploration
- Larger environments, bloom lighting, better textures than Prime 2
- Corruption Mode not available in demo

Now gimme a new trailer, Ninty...Now, now, now! ;_;
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 23, 2007, 07:59:10 PM »

Play feels motion controls work better than dual joystick
How can they not?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 23, 2007, 09:38:01 PM »
It is kind of strange to be getting more info on Brawl when mp3 is right around the corner.  Are the companies still withholding big info for e3 despite the big changes?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #532 on: June 23, 2007, 10:55:46 PM »
Nintendo needs something to grasp onto for the big little show.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 23, 2007, 11:17:31 PM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel
It is kind of strange to be getting more info on Brawl when mp3 is right around the corner.  Are the companies still withholding big info for e3 despite the big changes?

Well this is what Nintendo loves to do, they wait until E3 before revealing all the big info.  Nintendo just loves to make a huge bang at E3 by keeping everything secret for so long and then just letting it all out in a huge explosion of Nintendo goodness.  Even with the info we're getting right now for Brawl will pale in comparison to what we'll see at E3 when people will be allowed to play it and we'll finally see video's of the staring lineup, more stages, a lot of new items, and seeing how the new characters will play.

Damn if only I could find a way to be at E3.  Being able to play Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros Brawl is just so tempting, I'd do anything to get the chance.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #534 on: June 23, 2007, 11:40:37 PM »
Oh yeah, just like E3 2003.  That was quite a hopeful, exciting year.

Not.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #535 on: June 24, 2007, 04:38:21 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Nintendo wanted “Twilight Princess” levels of polish.
I don't get that, the MP have always had absurd levels of polish :/

besides, I wouldn't call a game with simplistic dungeon design polished...
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 24, 2007, 04:59:39 AM »
Polish = balance/gameplay/graphical tweaks

If there's one thing that MP2 lacked, it was difficulty balance...

Offline cubist

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 24, 2007, 07:15:00 AM »
I agree...MP2 had something missing that was present in the original...but I don't think it was difficulty balance...you could make the same argument with the original MP.  I think it had something to do with level design choices...the choice of light/dark a la Link to the Past wasn't fun at all...that purple haze was freakin' annoying...I think a Mars "RED" like Total Recall would've been better.
NNID: Island_Gamer

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 24, 2007, 09:44:37 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Oh yeah, just like E3 2003.  That was quite a hopeful, exciting year.

Not.

Nintendo didn't attend E3 in 2003.  That was just a group of insane Pac-Man fans disguised as Nintendo officials trying to put on a show.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 24, 2007, 10:40:52 AM »

Originally posted by: IceCold

Play feels motion controls work better than dual joystick
How can they not?

Indeed, I'm going to go optimistic and say they are going to be better than keyboard/mouse controls, which is the only comparison that really matters.

MP1 and MP2 had as much if not more polish than TP, whether in overall gameplay, dungeon/area design, textures, whatever, just name it, that was NOT a good comparison either.

So I heard theres this suit upgrade in the magazine but I don't want to look I want to see the other pictures but not that one.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: June 24, 2007, 10:52:19 AM »
But you can spin around faster in KB+M. Wiimote aiming is more intuitive, more involving, more awesome... but it's more realistic and less superhuman.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 24, 2007, 11:00:42 AM »
All the random TP trolling is sorta pissing me off...

(The screens in Play Magazine look FANTASTIC, by the way... )

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 24, 2007, 11:04:05 AM »
It doesn't matter your definition of polish, because whatever Nintendo wanted they wanted MORE.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 24, 2007, 11:42:46 AM »
no, no, no, you got it wrong, as much as I have my issues with TP the game oozes polish everywhere, no doubt about it, but the comparison makes little sense because the Prime games also have excessive amounts of polish, it does piss me off that Nintendo is having this attitude with Retro, like if they didn't know how to make excesive details in their games.

Nintendo: "Do it like TP!"
Retro " err, we are already pretty much there..."

So I gave in only to get this hideous thing, is this really the first line of the damn article!?

"The opening scene of Metroid Prime 3 is about the Halo-est thing ever."

I want to cry T_T, I hope is just the writer being an idiot.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 24, 2007, 12:05:55 PM »
Mantidor, I feel your pain. When we first got shown the first level of MP3 a long time ago, on that Space Federation Ship's Bridge, where the captain gives Samus a rundown of things... and then they get attacked by Space Pirates... I died a little inside. Don't be surprised so much when you see more of this now, because it was apparent all the way back in E3 2006.

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 24, 2007, 12:45:28 PM »
I'm with mant and Kairon.  Also, is it just me, or are they making Samus into more of a mercenary than a bounty hunter?
GOREGASM!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 24, 2007, 12:54:58 PM »
Bounty Hunters ARE mercenaries essentially... just uber-specialized ones, and usually more related to policing than warfare.

If you want to fight a war against Andross' armies, you hire Fox McCloud.

If you want to eliminate a specific threat (Metroid Prime, or Mother Brain), you hire Samus Aran.  

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 24, 2007, 01:22:28 PM »
I think smoke is talking more about the "samus and a bunch of soldiers" scenario than the specifics of the job. Since apparently the other planet shown is not this haloest crap but more in line with super metroid according to the magazine I'd say they are still keeping the bounty hunter "lonely exploration" part of the game, and well, they'd be crazy to not do it.

Which brings the issue of the planets, at first I was really excited, but now I realize planets is a synonym of levels, which is something I don't like at all, for Metroid anyway. Retro did said they are all connected and the metroid formula is still there, but I'm wondering how to execute it well with planets? every planet must have more than just one area at least then, I hope this is the case.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 24, 2007, 02:02:09 PM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
no, no, no, you got it wrong, as much as I have my issues with TP the game oozes polish everywhere, no doubt about it, but the comparison makes little sense because the Prime games also have excessive amounts of polish, it does piss me off that Nintendo is having this attitude with Retro, like if they didn't know how to make excesive details in their games.

Ugh, just where are the other Prime games' polish mentioned?  They aren't...Ninty just wanted Prime 3 to be polished to perfection (in much the same ways the other two games were polished) before it is released...  

Offline Smoke39

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 24, 2007, 02:48:46 PM »
I think mant's point is if Nintendo acknowledged the polish of MP1 and 2, then why wouldn't they say they wanted to get MP3 on par with Retro's previous games, instead of mentioning a completely unrelated game?

If that's the case, then I think you might be reading into it a little too much, mant.
GOREGASM!