Author Topic: The Downfall of Ubisoft on Wii U  (Read 23465 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: The Downfall of Ubisoft on Wii U
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2014, 01:13:18 AM »
There's PS4, Wii U, XBone, 3DS, PSP.

I can only buy one system. What system should I buy Broodwars and why?

I assume by "PSP", you mean "Vita"? :P Honestly, it depends on what kind of games you prefer and whether you're looking for short-term or long-term satisfaction. Right now, the Wii U is the best pick for short-term satisfaction. Of the 3 major platforms (plus Wii U), it has a worthwhile number of exclusives that can entertain you for a few months, but the system has no future. If you're looking long-term, PS4 is easily the best pick. No contest. The exclusives & "made for next-gen" titles are rolling out slowly, but surely.  I play the long game and I play 3rd party titles, so PS4's satisfied me in the one year I've had with it. For others, it may be too little too slowly.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2014, 01:32:21 AM »
Sure Vita. That shows how well Sony has distinguished their handhelds to me. I thought like the 3DS continues the DS line and name, the Vita continued the PSP line and name.

Now a couple questions. You mention "Of the 3 major platforms (plus Wii U)". What are the 3 major platforms?

Also, you went with Wii U and PS4 as the choices. (Despite only asking for one recommendation although your answer seems to indicate they are different from each other to require you to make two recommendations.) Is this because you do not regard handhelds as being able to equal the satisfaction of playing console games or because neither have the short term or long term satisfaction that the Wii U or PS4 could provide?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2014, 02:00:37 AM »
Sure Vita. That shows how well Sony has distinguished their handhelds to me. I thought like the 3DS continues the DS line and name, the Vita continued the PSP line and name.

Now a couple questions. You mention "Of the 3 major platforms (plus Wii U)". What are the 3 major platforms?

Also, you went with Wii U and PS4 as the choices. (Despite only asking for one recommendation although your answer seems to indicate they are different from each other to require you to make two recommendations.) Is this because you do not regard handhelds as being able to equal the satisfaction of playing console games or because neither have the short term or long term satisfaction that the Wii U or PS4 could provide?

PC, PS4, and the Xbone are the 3 major platforms right now. I may not care for PC gaming, but it's still a big deal. As for the 3DS, I've never been altogether impressed by its software, which is a pale shadow compared to its predecessor and doesn't suit my tastes like the Vita's games do. As for why I made 2 recommendations, that was partially because everyone's tastes are different and partially because in my mind the Wii U is a good secondary console to complement a PS4 primary console. Nintendo bothers to release a worthwhile game on average about once every 3-6 months, and inbetween those releases you have the PS4's constant deluge of titles.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2014, 07:57:03 AM »
What is this? The PS4 has a steady stream of games and the Wii U doesn't?

I mean, unless you're counting third party releases, which is kind of foolish because I sure as hell don't buy a console for third party releases. I play PC for that.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2014, 08:33:14 AM »
Last year I would have said PS4 was miles ahead of the competition. But this year Microsoft had the better Black Friday deals and honestly, if companies continue the practice of locking game specs to the "inferior" Xbox hardware like Ubisoft did with Assassins Creed Unity, I can see it being a toss up.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2014, 12:14:36 PM »
PC, PS4, and the Xbone are the 3 major platforms right now. I may not care for PC gaming, but it's still a big deal. As for the 3DS, I've never been altogether impressed by its software, which is a pale shadow compared to its predecessor and doesn't suit my tastes like the Vita's games do. As for why I made 2 recommendations, that was partially because everyone's tastes are different and partially because in my mind the Wii U is a good secondary console to complement a PS4 primary console. Nintendo bothers to release a worthwhile game on average about once every 3-6 months, and inbetween those releases you have the PS4's constant deluge of titles.

PC gaming isn't even a thought for me either. I can't think of anyone I know who is a serious PC gamer. Usually, it seems that everyone I know just plays one game on PC like StarCraft, WoW or Civilization and had a console for the rest of their gaming. I suppose you're right since I always hear of so many people buying games from Steam but I can't think of the last time I heard of a PC game making big sales since WoW and its expansion packs. At the same time, a PC is a bit different animal too. Most people will buy or own a PC for a lot of other uses and being able to game on it is a bonus or after-though. Generally with a console, the primary reason of buying it is to play games. Casuals are more likely to buy a PC for other needs as a game console is more of a luxury item. Thus, my question still works in that regard of what would you'd recommend as a purchase for such an item.

It's interesting that you mention the Wii U as a secondary console or compliment to a primary console like PS4. I really think that is Nintendo's only play these days. Heck, the idea may have even started back in the 64/PS1 days. With the Wii, the idea definitely took off with Microsoft even promoting that thought. With the Playstation and Xbox systems often being quite similar in what they offer with a few trade offs here and there, Nintendo does stand out as more different from them. Although they are probably out there, I can't think of knowing anyone who owns say a PS4 and XboxOne only and not a Nintendo system. Generally, if they own both, they'll also buy a Wii U and just own all systems in that case. A Sony and MS only gamer is I think more of a rarity. I'd think that an MS or Sony gamer would be more likely to buy a Nintendo console for a secondary purchase myself.

With the Wii, I think it was able to reach the sales it did because of that idea of a secondary purchase and because it was different with its unique controller and the idea of motion controls. At the same time, it was able to create many brand new consumers who only bought it as a primary console and who later got bored of it. If Nintendo hadn't gotten so many non-gamers interested in the console, I still think it would have sold quite well but it would have probably been more of a close race with MS or Sony and may have even ended up second in the end depending on how long Nintendo extends the life of the system in that case of lesser sales.

If Nintendo had released a console very similar to 360 and PS3 without motion controls but just their regular output and quality first party titles, third party support would probably dry up again. It would be very hard to make it a secondary purchase as the price for it would most likely have been much higher like the PS3 and 360 were at launch. But by having a unique experience, it encouraged other gamers to buy it for a different experience.

While a secondary purchase is most likely not Nintendo's goal, it almost has to be. Even if Nintendo were to release a console exactly like the PS4, why would a long time Sony gamer make the switch over? Because he can play Nintendo games? If a person wanted that, then they'd buy a Nintendo console. In that case, Nintendo would have more market share, Sony would have much less and third parties would have to develop more and support the Nintendo console. With very comparable specs, there shouldn't be any complaints about making software for the system and third parties can continue to make the software the way they always do without having to make compromises to develop for a Nintendo console. Thus, everything should be sunshine and rainbows and work out perfectly.

Yet, if a Sony customer really wanted Nintendo games, he'd probably already be buying a Nintendo system. Most likely, they are buying a Playstation because they expect certain titles to be on it. Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, FarCry, Batman: Arkham something, etc. Very few of those titles have appeared on a Nintendo console in over a decade or at all. This customer is now supposed to take the leap of faith that they will all or say 85% of the titles will come over and appear on this new Nintendo console? What happens if he takes the leap of faith but others don't and so the new Sony console still ends up selling more and having a larger market share? With a history of third parties constantly cutting support of a Nintendo console through the 64, Gamecube and Wii U eras, why take the chance of buying the Nintendo console when that could happen whereas its practically a guarantee all those titles will appear on a Sony console? The intital slow sales of PS3 didn't deter third parties and they kept making all those games for it then.

That's the issue Nintendo faces. How does releasing a very similar console to the competition convince gamers to jump ship to them along with third parties releasing their big titles on the system and staying with them for the long haul?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2014, 01:42:29 PM »
What is this? The PS4 has a steady stream of games and the Wii U doesn't?

I mean, unless you're counting third party releases, which is kind of foolish because I sure as hell don't buy a console for third party releases. I play PC for that.

Considering 1st party releases on any of the consoles are typically several months to half a year apart, if you buy your consoles to play games you'd better be buying them to play 3rd party releases. Otherwise, you're wasting your money. Just wait till the console is dead & cheap, and then stock up on the 1st party games.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2014, 04:58:27 PM »
That's the issue Nintendo faces. How does releasing a very similar console to the competition convince gamers to jump ship to them along with third parties releasing their big titles on the system and staying with them for the long haul?

This. It's Nintendo's biggest marketing issue.

Nintendo will always be popular if they keep making great games. Out of every developer, Nintendo has the largest and most fanatic niche. So even if the video game market were to collapse, Nintendo would probably be fine. And Nintendo is strictly a game's company, and has no external pressure to include all their other divisions because they don't exist, and that builds trust. That's what Nintendo has going for them.

What they don't have is third party support; the financial backing to trade profitability with market share; and the wealth of experience in all things IT like their competitors.

That is essentially Nintendo. And from this standpoint, I don't think it's hard to see why Nintendo made the Wii and the Wii U. The Wii U especially is like a love song to the Nintendo fan. It is powerful enough to produce beautiful graphics, it allows you to play a game even when your family or roommates are using the TV, it has a plethora of controller options for any game imaginable, and it has a network of millions of Nintendo fans playing and talking about games. In a vacuum, this system would be amazing.

So what went wrong? My personal opinion is that Nintendo truly thought it would disrupt the living room and that the gamepad would be as exciting to play with as the Wiimote. I'm sure for some people off-TV play is godsend, but for most it's solving a problem they don't have. TV's are super cheap these days, but I don't think Nintendo realized just how cheap (similar to their dismissal of HD). And as for gameplay, Nintendo really has yet to prove its advantage. God knows that if anyone could, it would be them. But they completely botched it. They went the safe route of tech demos turned mini-game compilation, just like the Wii. But unlike the Wii, it wasn't immediately understandable why these games were exciting.

With a Wiimote, I could pick it up and see my Mii swing a tennis racket and hit a ball. It didn't matter who I was playing against, how many of them there were, and whether they were next to me or online, I understood why this controller was significant. With the gamepad, the best examples needed several people. There wasn't that intrinsic understanding filling my mind with possibilities. And I still don't see the value. Does it make somethings easier? Yes, but is again solving a problem that no one had. For most games (and all single player games) the gamepad has essentially become a giant touchpad and reference point, and those ideas are not very exciting.

It wasn't well thought out and that's why the Wii U is failing. It traded in the possibility for higher specs or a cheaper price for an idea that hadn't matured.

Can they fix it? Yes. It's as easy (read: difficult) as making a game that could only be made on the Wii U. Personally, I'd make a co-op game and brand the Wii U the console for best friends and couples; take the "us two against the world" mentality and run with it. Make each person's role and the way they experience and control the game vastly different but equally important and you have an idea that can only be played on the Wii U. Now just make it fun and addicting. Easy (difficult).

Otherwise, just start selling the Wii U as an accessory to the 3DS.

Sorry for the long khush-like post, but that is my .02.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2014, 07:03:21 PM »
That is essentially Nintendo. And from this standpoint, I don't think it's hard to see why Nintendo made the Wii and the Wii U. The Wii U especially is like a love song to the Nintendo fan. It is powerful enough to produce beautiful graphics, it allows you to play a game even when your family or roommates are using the TV, it has a plethora of controller options for any game imaginable, and it has a network of millions of Nintendo fans playing and talking about games. In a vacuum, this system would be amazing.

If this was Nintendo intentions with the Wii U then they were so damn far off the mark that it is no wonder the Wii U flopped.  To me the Wii U comes across as a love song to the Wii userbase, only with misconceptions of why the Wii was successful and how loyal the Wii audience is.

To me the Wii was Nintendo flipping me the bird.  "Ian, you helped make us a success but we've found this new audience that takes a lot less effort to please.  They'll pay for last gen hardware and are dazzled by a inaccurate gimmick controller.  They'll pay full price for glorified tech demos and are content with derivative sequels.  We can cut corners and make idiotic mistakes and they're so unfamiliar with the conventions of videogames that they won't notice.  They also are a much larger audience than the one you're in so we can make MORE money with LESS effort.  So if you want to stick around, go for it, but we don't really care if you stay or go.  Catering to you requires more effort and competency so we just don't see the point when we can slack off even more with our new audience."

So the Wii U was Nintendo trying to make another Wii to sell to the audience that loved it.  But Nintendo couldn't recreate that motion control magic.  They also failed to realize that their new audience has no passion for videogames and thus has no standards and no loyalty.  Ooops.  "So, Ian, we're still friends, right?  You're going to buy the Wii U, right?"  But I haven't forgotten them flipping me off with the Wii and they're not even making any gesture to win me back.  The Wii U isn't a product for the audience I'm part of.  They're coming back because they're desperate.  The audience they took for granted is the only audience that buys a videogame console in this day and age and they're stuck with a product for a different audience that bailed on them.

So this ain't no love song.  This is a loser coming back to his estranged wife because his mistress dumped his ass and he ain't even smart enough to have brought flowers.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2014, 07:25:09 PM »
Sorry for the long khush-like post,

Thanks for the drive-by. Ha ha ha.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2014, 07:26:42 PM »
So what went wrong? My personal opinion is that Nintendo truly thought it would disrupt the living room and that the gamepad would be as exciting to play with as the Wiimote. I'm sure for some people off-TV play is godsend, but for most it's solving a problem they don't have. TV's are super cheap these days, but I don't think Nintendo realized just how cheap (similar to their dismissal of HD). And as for gameplay, Nintendo really has yet to prove its advantage. God knows that if anyone could, it would be them. But they completely botched it. They went the safe route of tech demos turned mini-game compilation, just like the Wii. But unlike the Wii, it wasn't immediately understandable why these games were exciting.
Wii U wasn't even a good Nintendo console for its first year and a half. It was slow, buggy, and it didn't even have many Nintendo games. The meager sales it managed were from fans who knew Nintendo would release decent games eventually. That's never going to be a successful plan.

The GamePad is a really interesting idea; the technology just isn't there for it to be a good one in practice. For some, it's too heavy for extended use. The battery life sucks. And even though two GamePads are possible simultaneously, there isn't any software to back it up. If Nintendo wants the concept to work, it needs to be cheaper. It needs to lighter. It needs to last at least 15 hours on a two to three hour charge. And it needs to support four simultaneously at 60 frames per second at launch. If Nintendo can't do all that next generation, don't even bother. Introducing something new has to be easy; it has to be transparent. With Wii U, you get one GamePad and you can't buy an extra or replacement in stores. You can't even buy the AC adapter in stores, let alone the official first party extended battery. It did the opposite of every impulse everyone had when buying controllers for the last 30 years. I like the concept of the GamePad, but Nintendo bunted the execution.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2014, 07:28:28 PM »
I like video games.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2014, 07:38:45 PM »
Hey Ian,

Get it?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2014, 08:02:49 PM »
I genuinely laughed out loud, Khush. Cheers for that one!

I like the concept of the GamePad, but Nintendo bunted the execution.

Despite the things that are wrong with it, Nintendo still should have given a reason for its existence. And off-tv play isn't cutting it.

To me the Wii U comes across as a love song to the Wii userbase, only with misconceptions of why the Wii was successful and how loyal the Wii audience is.

That could be true,, but Nintendo fans and the Wii userbase are not mutually exclusive.

The point is, they botched the launch and it had a dreadful impact on their ability to market and inspire confidence, not just with us but with developers as this article points out. It's sad really, because it was all so unavoidable.

So how would you fix it? And is it unfixable?

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2014, 08:12:16 PM »
Actually let me rephrase that, Ian.

What would a Nintendo love song sound like to you?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2014, 08:34:59 PM »
I genuinely laughed out loud, Khush. Cheers for that one!

If you liked that, wait until you see this!

This is a loser coming back to his estranged wife because his mistress dumped his ass and he ain't even smart enough to have brought flowers.

That's right. He brought an axe instead since its more effective!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2014, 09:05:12 PM »
Sorry EA, you should have released a version of Madden 13 that wasn't garbage and had a broken franchise mode.  You also shouldn't have released Mass Effect 3 on a console that never had either two of the prior Mass Effect games before, just as you were releasing the whole trilogy for $20 cheaper on other consoles. 

Ubisoft's issue with Watch Dogs is the same.  It's now months after the initial release, which saw massive bad press on the internet for being an overhyped game that looked better in E3 trailers a year ago than the final product.

Say what you will about Wii U owners only buying 3rd Party games, but I personally would be more inclined to buy some on Wii U if almost all of them weren't garbage ports that are gimped compared to their counterparts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2014, 10:09:42 PM »
Wii U wasn't even a good Nintendo console for its first year and a half. It was slow, buggy, and it didn't even have many Nintendo games.

Can I say, this is probably the biggest reason the Wii U has had such a bad start?  It was a rushed, half-ready project with no games at launch.

I feel if they had waited another year to release it, it would have done better.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2014, 10:26:05 PM »
I personally would be more inclined to buy some on Wii U if almost all of them weren't garbage ports that are gimped compared to their counterparts.
That's essentially how I view all games from every company, ports or exclusives. They can have my money. I'd be happy to spend it, but they have to earn it. I'm very rarely disappointed in Nintendo's releases. Unfortunately, many third parties don't see it that way, particularly on Nintendo consoles. I get the feeling that their attitude is that lowly Wii U owners should count their lucky stars to get even table scraps.

I don't expect perfection. However, if they want my money, I demand they give a ****. I don't care about exclusive bonuses (though I wouldn't turn them down), but I want parity. Crapping out a late, lazy port then having the gall to charge full price can get the **** out of my face.
I feel if they had waited another year to release it, it would have done better.
The problem with that is Wii U was already at least a year late, meaning Nintendo was at best two years behind. Nintendo didn't build off the momentum of Wii. It let the momentum die then tried to re-enter the race with a broken car. It's too late to do anything about that now, but I certainly hope Nintendo learned a valuable lesson from this and comes out swinging next time.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2014, 11:15:16 PM »
I'm glad Ian sees himself as an estranged housewife.

Honestly, I'm confused as to why you consider the Wii to have half-baked and over-gimmicked gameplay ideas, though. Because honestly, the major releases on Wii were huge departures from what you describe and many of them weren't rehashes at all. If anything the Wii U is more like what you described, but the games are still good.

Anyway, your analogy makes no sense. Nintendo was discussing Bayonetta 2 with Platinum in the early phases of Wii U and that means they didn't "discover" their player base from the Wii wasn't committed to them, they made a conscious shift beforehand. You're kinda just making stuff up.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2014, 01:15:11 AM »
No lie, the Xbox One has a better library right now than the PS4. And I'm no XBone fan, but it's the truth!

Wii U is currently better than both

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2014, 01:26:15 AM »
No lie, the Xbox One has a better library right now than the PS4. And I'm no XBone fan, but it's the truth!

This is true. I own a PS4 because of remote play, but if not for that I'd own...neither.

Wii U is currently better than both

And this is absolutely true as well.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2014, 01:39:08 AM »

Eh...I think they're pretty close at this point. Sunset Overdrive is, without question, the best exclusive available on either console, but LittleBigPlanet 3 is excellent in its own right. Master Chief Collection would be an amazing value if it worked, but it doesn't. Meanwhile, Titanfall was one tremendous dud and Infamous Second Son was merely...OK.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2014, 10:17:38 AM »
LittleBigPlanet 3 isn't exclusive. It's on the PS3, meaning that's another reason I don't need a PS4. Most of the best-sellers on the PS4 are for cross-gen or remasters of games I've already played or have the ability to play on my PS3.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2014, 10:43:08 AM »
LittleBigPlanet 3 isn't exclusive. It's on the PS3, meaning that's another reason I don't need a PS4. Most of the best-sellers on the PS4 are for cross-gen or remasters of games I've already played or have the ability to play on my PS3.
And that right there is shooting this Gen in the foot.  The availability of everything worth owning on the previous Gen.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.