Author Topic: What games should everybody play?  (Read 9584 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
What games should everybody play?
« on: March 07, 2014, 10:20:44 AM »
I think this is a different question than asking what the best games are. Sometimes something comes along that might not be the best game, but does things that are unique and interesting that everyone should experience.

I think the game Portal fits this description very well. I like it a lot, though I don't think it's among the all-time greats, but it brings a whole new style to first-person gaming that should at least be tried by anyone who likes gaming.

What examples do you think fit these criteria? Do you even agree with the premise I laid out?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: What games should everybody play?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 10:57:06 AM »
First, let me just say that despite your severe character flaws and general despicable-ness, you consistently come up with some of the best gaming-related topics. Also, I agree that Portal would be at the top (or near the top) of that list.

I'd put the (original) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series in the list.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 11:27:09 AM »
I have a few:

• Journey, for it's interesting take on Co-Op multiplayer. Even non-gamers tend to love it.
  • Halo, for being the first "modern" console FPS.
  • Pokemon Crystal, for being an approachable entry to not only the Pokemon series, but into JRPGs in general. Other Pokemon games either are a bit too bloated for a newcomer or in the case of Red, completely ridiculous.
  • Super Mario 64, for obvious reasons
  • GTA5
  • Portal
And I can't think of any more at the top of my head.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 01:18:37 PM »
Thomas Was Alone
Bastion
DDR
Wonderful 101
Hero Quest: So you want to be a Hero? (aka Quest for Glory 1 for you remake people)

I know there are more I've felt everyone should play at least Once and my memory is letting me down.  I sort of want to put Super Mario Sunshine on there.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 02:08:10 PM »
If someone wanted to get into videogame I would hand them a SNES with Super Mario World, A Link to the Past and Super Metroid and suggest they play them in that order.  All three games are a perfect representation of their genre, all would be accessible enough early on for a newcomer to learn but don't come across as dumbed down for veterans, and all three games kick ass so the person develops good taste.  All three are also classic games that don't feel old.

The order is deliberate.  Realistically everyone needs to play Super Metroid and I'm thinking of how to build them up to it.  Super Mario World familiarizes them with side scrolling platforming and Zelda introduces non-linear exploration so that's all practice for Super Metroid.

Though it is really just an overview of 2D gaming conventions.  I think a different group would be needed for 3D.  But you probably want to start someone in 2D because it's much easier to grasp.

Realistically if you listed the best game of each videogame genre and sub-genre you would have a good "must play" list for someone to fully experience what gaming has to offer.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 03:25:34 PM »
So, you're meaning games that should be considered "required playing" by everyone?

I would first nominate Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda. Each are heavily influential and laid the groundwork that many would follow.

Tetris seems like an important title, as it is generally the go-to game when most think about the "puzzle genre."

I think BioShock Infinite or The Last of Us should be included, as they both show that thought-provoking stories can be applied by games.

Doom, as it's one of the paramount FPS games.

Super Mario 64, as it defined 3D gaming.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 05:05:39 PM »
Diplomacy
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 09:35:36 PM »
999. Full stop.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 01:03:12 PM »
I think this is a different question than asking what the best games are. Sometimes something comes along that might not be the best game, but does things that are unique and interesting that everyone should experience.

I think the game Portal fits this description very well. I like it a lot, though I don't think it's among the all-time greats, but it brings a whole new style to first-person gaming that should at least be tried by anyone who likes gaming.

What examples do you think fit these criteria? Do you even agree with the premise I laid out?

I'd agree with you if the question was "What games should all gamers play?", but can't agree with the original question of games everyone should play.  Games with 3D space that require a user to either use mouse+kb or dual analogs to control movement with one and camera with other has a learning curve that gamers take for granted. 

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 01:18:38 PM »
Which is why a game like Journey or the Wii Sports games work so well for non-gamers.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 01:21:09 PM »
By genre?

FPS--
Half Life  1 and 2  (with the unofficial update textures of course)

RPG--
Witcher 1 and 2

Fighting--
Super Street Fighting 4 Ultra

Party Games:
Smash Brothers
Just Dance series

Games for nongamers:
Bejewel 3
Tetris

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 03:07:21 PM »

I'd agree with you if the question was "What games should all gamers play?", but can't agree with the original question of games everyone should play.  Games with 3D space that require a user to either use mouse+kb or dual analogs to control movement with one and camera with other has a learning curve that gamers take for granted. 

It really depends on how you narrow it down. I doubt there's any game that I'd argue all 7 billion people on Earth should play, so it becomes a matter of degree. What that specifically means will vary depending on who's answering the question.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 03:28:11 PM »
I think everyone should play Tetrisphere. Then maybe more people will be clamoring for more 3D puzzle games and more will finally be made.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 09:35:06 PM »

It really depends on how you narrow it down. I doubt there's any game that I'd argue all 7 billion people on Earth should play, so it becomes a matter of degree. What that specifically means will vary depending on who's answering the question.

Fair enough.  If we're staying in the forums for suggestions, these may be obvious, but mine would be:

Shadow of the Colossus
Super Mario Bros 3 or Super Mario World
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Civilization (I've spent the most with II or IV, but I think any could provide a similarly satisfying experience).
MarioKart 64 or Double-Dash
Super Smash Bros. Melee

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 12:10:50 AM »
Any mario party released before 9 with 4 players.
Especially 3.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 12:59:44 PM »
Which is why a game like Journey or the Wii Sports games work so well for non-gamers.

Wii Sports didn't turn non-gamers into gamers, it just created a different segment of the videogame market.  If you introduce someone to gaming through Wii Sports they'll just move on to Wii Fit and Angry Birds.

For a complete newbie a good path might be Mario Bros.-->Super Mario Bros. 3 or World-->Super Mario 3D Land or World-->Super Mario Galaxy.  They go from jumping to sidescrolling to handling 3D space with a fixed perspective to playing in full 3D.  Something like that would teach them the basics and raise them in games with some real depth but are still accessible and enjoyable for all audiences.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 11:22:39 PM »
I really think all true gamers should go back and play the classics.  I think it is important to understand where gaming was/is/ and going.  Players that don't understand what makes certain genres work, are missing out on the joys of games.

So to me:

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario 3 (Or World)
Pac Man
Galaga
Chrono Trigger (or your pick of Final Fantasy games)
Donkey Kong
Pong
Break Out
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Mega Man 2-4
Contra 3

I know there are some great games I am missing on my list, but these are just a sample of what I see as important for gamers to experience.

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 06:38:14 PM »
Ain't nobody got time for that!

Bolded for emphasis.  I think this is the most important, and fundamentally fascinating, part of the question.  Not necessarily what everyone should play, but what everyone should experience.  And yes, they are two wholly different concepts.  When I was in high school, my best friend and I would play FFVIII everyday after school on PC, while my sister would just sit off to the side and watch.  At the time, she really had no interest in videogames, but that specific game really caught her attention.  Of course, at the time, the cinematics were cutting edge, and that kind of storytelling in games seemed to be fairly unique.  I always wondered if the connections she formed with the characters could have been anything similar to the ones we formed with them.

I also watched my friend play through Half-Life on his PC at the time.  I always thought it was really cool, but at the time, my only experience with FPSes was Doom and Duke Nukem 3D, which I played entirely with a keyboard, so mouselook really fekked with my mind.  When I got my own PC capable of playing it, I borrowed his copy and played through it myself.  The experience was entirely different, feeling the tension, the adrenaline.

I dunno what my point is, but to this day, my sister has played through the Uncharted games, the Mass Effect series, pretty much all of the recent Mario and Zelda titles, and has her own 3DS.  Even experiencing all the emotions that we get out of gaming second-hand can be enough to entice somebody to expand their gaming horizons.  And while some may scoff at the idea of watching other people play videogames, the undeniable popularity of Twitch, and Let's Plays indicates a demand to consume videogames in a non-traditional manner.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 06:59:03 PM »
I'd argue that, at least in some cases, actually playing the game is essential to the experience. I mentioned Portal; watching someone play that game and not having to get your mind around the puzzle design wouldn't be nearly as much of an experience.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 09:03:03 AM »
I think games are ALWAYS meant to be played.  Watching a game can be enjoyable, but you are never experiencing the game…only the games story.

For instance, I could easily watch someone play Resident Evil 4.  However, I can't play the game…it is too intense for my interest.

As well playing an action game and feeling your body learn to twitch and move with the game is essential to experiencing it.

This is why games should never be movies, and although story is important, it doesn't have to be, and game play is king.

It is also the sole reason I think EVERYONE should play the classics.  The classics teach you what the core of gaming is really about.  Not these modern games…which most don't have an ounce of the same care put into the development of gameplay mechanics like the classics do.

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 10:05:53 PM »
I love these kind of questions, they really make you think. Like asking a movie fan who is just getting into films where to start or what are the essentials, obviously everyone has their own lists but it is fun to speculate which ones each person thinks are essential.

As for me, I think it is sad that most of you are starting with Super NES or NES, shameful you kids must not remember the awesome that was Atari, because AVGN and Youtube have sullied Atari's once great reputation it is almost a crime to admit you actually like them, not liked but still do.

Anyways rant over, here is my list.

Pong, any, all, as many as you can get your hands on these games are just pure fun and really remind people that video games are GAMES at their core.

Pac-Man
Cenitpede
Asteroids (any but I highly recommend the VCS version as it is easier to play for newbies)
Galaga
Pole Position
Q*Bert
Frogger
Missile Command
Adventure (VCS)
Donkey Kong (arcade and NES)
Popeye
Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 1-3 (leave out the folk lore and let them enjoy SMB 2 for what it is and go back to the pre-internet ignorance that allowed us to just enjoy game instead of analyzing them.
Legend of Zelda
TMNT (arcade either one but the first one for sure)
Double Dragon
Castlevania
Tetris
Sim City (any but the SNES one also)
Super Metroid (skip the NES one its been redone better)
Zelda Link to the Past
Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic 2 and 3 for sure but really any of the classics)
Final Fantasy 3(6)
FF 7
Super Mario Kart (SNES original and any of the 3D ones should do)
Resident Evil 2
Street Fighter 2 (again any addition but work your way up to Super)
Mortal Kombat Trilogy (for us old timers sure the first three were great but to a young guy Trilogy is all you need)
Tekken (any but 3 is a good place to start)
Virtua Fighter 2
Pokemon (GB)
Gauntlet (1 + 2, Legends)
D&D Tower of Doom
Knights of the Round
Golden Axe
Altered Beast
Space Harrier
Ghosts N Goblins
Contra (NES forget the arcade)
Super C and Contra Hard Corps
Mega Man X (sure they are all great but to a newbie X is the place to start)
Doom/Wolfenstein/Duke Nukem 3D ( in THAT order)
Star Wars (Super NES, Arcade, Knights of the Old Republic)
Silent Hill
Gran Turrismo
Kirby Super Star
Diablo
War Craft 2
Eye of the Beholder 2 Legend of Darkmoon
Wizards and Warriors
Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind
Smash Bros (or Melee as a good initiation)
Metroid Prme
Sonic Adventure DX (probably to show them a 3D sonic game can be ok but not to get their hopes too high)
Sonic Advance
Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance (then get to Armaggedon and then the newer ones)
Metal Slug
Crash Bandicoot
Gex
Super Mario 64
OOT
Boogerman
Superman (n64 YES I AM DEAD SERIOUS)
Quake (or Unreal or any of them games)
Columns
Bust A Move
Prince of Persia (on a PC or Sega CD)
Donkey Kong Country
Super Mario RPG
and finish it off with some NBA Jam

that is the essentials ever gamer should play before they die, in that order for someone who has never experienced the classics.

Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 10:42:21 PM »
Megamania - Atari 2600

It's the very first game I ever fell in love with...at the ripe age of three years old in 1985.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 10:54:53 PM »
I doubt there's any game that I'd argue all 7 billion people on Earth should play, so it becomes a matter of degree

Sure there is, Tetris, but that's already been done...

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 11:00:26 PM »
Boogerman? Really?

I suspect most of these list are just fueled by "muh nostalgia"...
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 09:38:33 AM »
the topic was to introduce gamers to the widest possible game play experiences, where else is that more evident than Boogerman? Nostalgia has nothing to do with it, I hate the game today its clearly made for kids and immature adults who like Beavis and Butt head. Also it captures the 90's console experience perfectly. If I was basing my list on nostalgia it would be entirely different, games a gamer today would seriously not at all care about. Honestly I used this list because those are the games I initiated my nephews on and they all turned into hard core gamers by the end.