Author Topic: Dark Souls 2 discussion thread  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Dark Souls 2 discussion thread
« on: March 06, 2014, 03:08:12 AM »
I haven't really seen anyone really into the series as I am, but is anyone else getting this game at launch? I was hoping to start up a small clan of people to tackle this beast of a game.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls 2 discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 09:38:24 AM »
I'm kind of interested in the series, but I'd want it on Vita, Wii U or on PS4 with effective remote play, and this game doesn't do either, although I wouldn't be shocked of the latter happened with some kind of Game of the Year edition.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 01:45:25 PM »
Jeff Green's Dark Souls Livestream is one of my favorite TV shows.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 02:27:28 PM »
I'm kind of interested in the series, but I'd want it on Vita, Wii U or on PS4 with effective remote play, and this game doesn't do either, although I wouldn't be shocked of the latter happened with some kind of Game of the Year edition.

I would, partly because they didn't do that with Dark Souls. I mean, they had a "Prepare to Die Edition", but that was only on PC and that was because it was getting ported. They never released a Game of the Year Edition for consoles.

The director said that they won't be releasing it on next-gen systems. PC is as next-gen as DkS2 will ever get. Also, I couldn't give a source but I could have sworn that DLC isn't planned. Or, at the very least, isn't in development until the original game is done, similar to what they did with DkS.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 06:16:24 PM »
Well then I guess I won't be playing the game.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 07:15:12 PM »
I'm curious, why does it have to have some sort of Off-TV play for you to want to play it?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 07:33:17 PM »
It doesn't necessarily have to, but it's a major selling point for me. I spend a lot of time in other parts of my house than the one with my game consoles, so being able to play things other places is a nice feature, especially in the kind of time sink game this is. If I'm really into something the lack of that feature won't stop me, but I'm not really that interested in this. Hell, what I should really do is go back and play ZombiU, which is apparently pretty similar (and ironically enough doesn't include off-TV play).

J.P. Corbran

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 05:49:19 PM »
Off-TV play is friggin'awesome.  I wish I could hack my Vita to use as a display for my PC ala Shield.  I'm looking forward to Dark Souls 2, but I will be waiting until April to play on PC.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 09:07:16 PM »
Dark Souls and its predecessor Demon's Souls (I think I got that correct) are games that scare current Phil. The old Phil would have the time and patience for these types of games, but I'm just too much of a weakling gamer nowadays. However, I do love the challenge of platformers like DKC: Tropical Freeze, so maybe I'm not a lost case.

Anyway, I hope DS2 is awesome for you guys interested in it!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 09:34:54 PM »
Dark Souls and its predecessor Demon's Souls (I think I got that correct) are games that scare current Phil. The old Phil would have the time and patience for these types of games, but I'm just too much of a weakling gamer nowadays. However, I do love the challenge of platformers like DKC: Tropical Freeze, so maybe I'm not a lost case.

Anyway, I hope DS2 is awesome for you guys interested in it!

Ha ha ha, thanks dude. What I find funny is that I normally absolutely despise hard games, especially platformers. I can't stand VVVVVVV, Cloudberry Kingdom, Super Meat Boy, Spelunky, etc. But some reason Dark Souls scratches that itch of mine.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:36:40 PM by Oblivion »

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 12:13:21 PM »
GAME OF THE YEAR 10/10 WOULD PLAY AGAIN

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 06:41:38 PM »
I've definitely kept my eye on the reviews for this game, and I'm glad to see that the game is receiving near-universal praise.  I thought it would be harder for me to avoid double-dipping, but the reports of excessive screen-tearing on the 360 version, and a crap framerate on the PS3 is making the wait for the PC version so much easier.  1080P/60fps, hellz yes.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 08:47:51 PM »
Dude, the framerate is fine on PS3. Never had an issue with it. I think it depends on what iteration of the console that you have.