Author Topic: What is the last game you beat? Thoughts/impressions?  (Read 509395 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: What is the last game you beat? Thoughts/impressions?
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2014, 09:01:06 PM »
Crimson Shroud (3DS)

Lived up to the billing and beyond. Really, really enjoyed this game - although not sure if I want to keep playing for New Game+ content/ending right now.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2014, 10:02:18 PM »
Tales of Xillia (PS3) Spoiler-free, by the way.

Not really sure how I feel about this game. On one hand, I adore the two main characters, Jude and Milla, and their interactions.  Even a moment where most fans hate Jude, I found it to be believable and a part of his character. I also love the "skits", or extra scenes, that you can play if you so wish. While I question putting so much character interaction and development in option scenes, they were usually worth spending the extra time you had to put in to watch them. They were also the source of the game's comedy relief, so I guess that is a plus.

On the other hand... there's a lot to complain about:

Pretty much every other character, including their development and motivations. Their development was all over the place, from spread to thin and far out, to all at once. Especially for one particular main character, Alvin. My god, was he a train wreak.

Graphics. The in-game cutscenes were generally incredibly wooden, similar to how Final Fantasy does their in-game scenes. At certain parts, however, it definitely ruined some really intense moments.

Sound design. Whether it was in a cutscene, gameplay, or animated cutscene, the voice of the characters were overwhelmed by the sound effects and music in the background. While you can change that in the options, the animated cutscenes could not be changed, so I was forced to leave subtitles on for fear of missing anything.

Level and monster design. Ho. Ly. ****. I don't think I've ever more bored walking around in a JRPG before. Every fucking time you need to get through an area and fight monsters while doing so, 70% of the time it's the same looking green fields corridor with enemies and loots littered next to trees. On top of that, the enemies were the same 7 or so monster templates with different palette swaps or small variations.  By the end of the game I was so sick of fighting the same monsters in the same looking places despite being on the other side of the world I just avoided all the enemies to get to the next area. This right here is the biggest issue in the game for me.

Rushed ending leaving me unsatisfied with the 40+ hours I put into the game.

So... yeah. I loved a few characters enough to keep on going, but after a while most of the game felt like a chore and I was rolling my eyes at a few points. That said, there are a few times in the game were I felt that hit just the right spots, especially mid-game. Still, it's hard for me to recommend this game to anyone, unless you can easily forgive the typical JRPG tropes driven up to 11.

TLDR; The two very awesome main characters may or may not be worth the rest of the games shitty level design and cringeworthy moments from the other characters.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 18, 2014, 04:39:29 PM »
Demo of Bravely Default:
That took me so long because i'm not that good at RPGs. Also the demo itself is long enough to easily pass as full game itself.

According to activity log it took me 16 hours spread over 13 play sessions.

I liked it, though now i not sure if i ever will get the full game. Not because i was confused by demo or turned off by something. I'm kinda exhausted of RPGs because of it.

I don't want to play full game now, but i liked the demo enough. Fun and inventive combat system, great visuals, nice music. I might buy it sometimes later just as a sign of support...

PS probably picking Crimson Shroud was not the most wise decision... And i still have barely played Earthbound...
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 19, 2014, 03:59:09 AM »
RE:Mercs

Got is for 8.50NZD ~ 6USD from the eshop, so a no brainer. The mission system is dumb and it's missing Leon and Ada also lacking CCPro support still. It is however more fun than Revelations Raid mode which is a bullet sponge simulator. It's a bit hard to maintain a combo compared to RE4 as there are less zombies attacking you and the AI tends to spawn zombies off screen standing idle instead of sending them after you especially apparent on some of the bigger, more open maps.

A good bit of fun if you can get it for cheap as a fresh copy.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 19, 2014, 12:16:14 PM »
I think The Mercenaries 3D is missing Leon because of the whole Leon-and-Chris-were-never-in-the-same-game thing (until Resident Evil 6). That's pretty silly and even with that being the case, I would have rather had Ada than Krauser. Still, I wanted all the important characters. Sheva is notably missing. I'm not as disappointed in that since I unfairly dislike Sheva for being such a useless AI partner. Josh was awesome in Resident Evil 5.

The missions are pretty much just training exercises for the later stages which are next to impossible without upgraded skills.

The game doesn't have Circle Pad Pro support because the peripheral was released months after the game. I hoped Capcom would patch The Mercenaries 3D to work with the Circle Pad Pro, but I never really expected them to.

There are several spawn points throughout the stages and enemies eventually make their way to you, but the game encourages you to move instead of taking a stand in one spot. They will always run towards you if you're in their vicinity. As for combos, constantly moving and upgrading certain skills helps immensely. I recommend either playing as Rebecca (her from-behind melee move is pretty strong) or just using Play Coins to unlock her loadout for other characters. You can, conversely, earn an A or better through stages 5-5 to unlock it that way.

It's far from a perfect game, but you got it at a great price.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 12:20:36 PM by Adrock »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 19, 2014, 02:56:49 PM »
Some of the maps are just too large for the AI. The Cargo container map and the red exploding barrel factory are way too large. Even when you are running around, you still get combo breaks from the lack of guys to kill. It's irritating to see from a gameplay perspective and comes off as a flaw as in level 5-EX the AI appears to be set "Fully ON" which means idle dudes on the otherside of the map is less of an issue.

A lot of characters have death or near death moves. Krauser has the Stinger/neck stab. Barry gets a headbutt which is almost always lethal. Hunk has The End/Executioner. Jill has the insanely funny neck breaker. Any time you're not killing with melee is time wasted. Depending on level and character I can pretty routinely hit the kill limit of 150 with about a minute to spare.

The weapon set I like the most is Claire's as it has a pistol that can be used as a ghetto SMG along with controlable amount of damage, a nade launcher with a safer level of friendly fire and a power weapon in the form of the semi-auto sniper rifle. Rebecca's weapon set is nice, but the SMG is harder to control burst wise which means it's much harder to "pick" the melee attack you need. The nade launcher means melee is mostly out of the question, but that set is unlikely to run low on ammo.

I would have rather have Ada over just about any of the males to balance out the roster. Sheva was barely a character even for a RE game. She was suppose to be your local liaison, but she never ever does anything job related or otherwise. There was never a reason to care for her other than you gameover if she dies.

Level 5-EX is a whole load of BS sometimes as the Mini Bosses have absurd amounts of health that require multiple mag dumps to kill. Level 1 to 3 is a massive waste of space and could have been done in one level or not at all. It's terrible as a tutorial and makes for equally terrible filler.

It's not a bad game at the price I got it at, definitely a bit of fun as a short arcade experience, but one would feel a little burned if you brought this at full price and a fool if you got it second hand.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 19, 2014, 03:52:33 PM »
Ha, exploding barrel factory. I can't say I disagree. I often have to shoot a grenade across a very long distance just to keep a combo going. Usually, my combo gets broken. I saw a video of someone getting a perfect 200 max combo on the final stage though he lucked out a few times. I just recently finished that one yesterday on my first try (surprisingly). I think my max combo was 40-something since I couldn't find anyone to kill to keep it going. I had another long combo that got broken because I almost died from a Red Executioner. Luckily, neither the solider with the knife not the Executioner next to me bothered to attack while I resuscitated.

I only recommended Rebecca for her loadout. The melee move I mentioned seems to be her strongest one. For someone just starting the game, she's a good character to use and probably the second one people unlock. I stuck with Jill for most of my time with the game because she's Jill. I normally use HUNK now since his melee moves are strong, even Triple Shot will usually kill regular non-Los Illuminados enemies (except when he stupidly misses based on positioning). Still, I like Rebecca's loadout because the grenade launcher is good for clearing out crowds if overwhelmed and near dying and it can kill most stronger enemies with the Giant Killing skill pretty easily, even Super Salvador who is a stupid cock otherwise.

Sheva's absence is notable mostly because The Mercenaries 3D is primarily based on Resident Evil 5. I don't care for the character because besides being useless, she seemed included to alleviate those ridiculous racism claims. I just like Ada as a character so I was bummed she didn't make the cut.

I didn't pay full price, but I paid more than you did though I did buy it in 2011. I'd like to see a sequel to The Mercenaries 3D. I've had a lot of fun with the game so far.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 20, 2014, 05:29:27 PM »
I just finished up playing through an obscure SNES gem that I'm not sue how many people have ever heard of. The game's called Super Metroid. I'm not usually one to beat games, even ones I absolutely adore like Super Mario 3D Land, but this one just grabbed me. The world is just brilliantly designed, and while the story is fairly light, it may be the best Nintendo's ever produced.

There aren't many games that I'd recommend to literally everyone, but I would say if you have any interest in gaming as a medium you owe it to yourself to at least try it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 21, 2014, 08:25:19 AM »
Super Metroid is my favorite game ever, but I didn't really appreciate it until after I finished it. The game is also the source of a couple personal gaming failures. I fell down the pit where the Etecoons teach you how to wall jump and I couldn't do it for the longest time. If I remember correctly, I went back to my last save and was able to avoid it, but then I progressed to the space jump upgrade and couldn't do that either. My neighbor's cousin had to teach me the timing to continuously space jump which was maybe a year later. You know when I say I'm terrible at video games? That's not hyperbole.

Anyway, Super Metroid is one of the few really complete games. There's nothing about it I felt could have been done better taking into account the time it was released. I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2014, 05:09:12 PM »
I want to get a 3DS primarily because of SteamWorld Dig.

It's on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/252410/

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2014, 08:00:42 PM »
RE:Mercs

The Mercenaries 3D
I bought this game cheap on a whim, which was kind of a mistake since I had no plans for it, and so I still haven't played it. Are either of you folks interested in trying some co-op with a n00b?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 21, 2014, 08:04:23 PM »
Sure thing. You got Steam or some way to communicate with you in realtime?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 21, 2014, 08:08:52 PM »
We could use NWR's chat. The only other option would be AIM.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 21, 2014, 08:09:04 PM »
Same. I do not currently have some other way to communicate, but I'm sure I can figure out something since it's 2014 and all. I think oohhboy is suggesting voice chat for strategy purposes. You can get by just making sure you don't die.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:10:52 PM by Adrock »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2014, 08:13:17 PM »
It would help. Having some way to talk to each other makes connecting easier because you know, Nintendo.

Edit: In NWR chat now. I need you to add my ID 3222-5727-4873. The we are good to go.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:17:46 PM by oohhboy »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2014, 08:17:09 PM »
I'm hard of hearing, so voice chat is too much to concentrate on to try to understand it. I don't have a PC mic anyway, so text is the only option for me, I'm afraid. If that changes your mind, I understand.

EDIT: Oh, didn't realise you wanted me to play now, but I can swing it. Be ready in a few minutes.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:19:56 PM by Mop it up »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2014, 08:31:30 PM »
Oh, you guys are playing without me.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 21, 2014, 10:50:29 PM »
Hee hee, sorry mate. Too bad the game is limited to two players! Maybe we could try and pick a date and time to play, Adrock? I believe I already have you added.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2014, 02:33:39 AM »
Have to agree Oblivion with the disappointing Tales of Xillia.  Not sure what people saw in this game but what I played was a broken story (with twists that make little to no sense) and a lame combat system.  The new "link art" made the game in a spam fest of special arts which made the game all to easy (think I died once in the game).

Was so looking forward to another Tales game but this one was an failed attempt.  You're better off replaying the old Tale games if you really have an JRPG itch.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 02:40:18 AM by ymeegod »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2014, 02:46:05 AM »
You're better off replaying the old Tale games if you really have an JRPG itch.

And speaking of which, we have an old Tales game releasing next week, as my favorite in the series (Tales of Symphonia) is releasing on PS3 in an HD re-release.  :P:

Haven't gotten around to Xillia, myself. I still need to finish the Epilogue from Graces F.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 24, 2014, 12:16:28 PM »
Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice:
That last case was quite something. Time travel paradox is not what i would expect from AA game... Yet it worked for that case, i think.

Too bad all previous cases before kinda sucked and felt half-baked. I understand that they wanted to connect them in one huge case and they left them open ended so that they could be tied up in the end. But the case with singer wasn't part of the last case and yet still had numerous hanging threads just left hanging there: like you know, THE MOTIVE of the crime was left completely unexplained. There were a few comments from the Judge that would explain motives of the killer a bit and make him more sympathetic, but nope! Case closed and never addressed.

The explanation for Apollo's powers went way too long. They didn't have to conjure all that stuff about genetic skills interacting with bracelet because temperature of the body.. bla-bla-bla, bla-bla-bla.

It's magic! Done. Stop yourself. I get it, it's magic.

The other thing that bothers me, is how they had a mother who knows she has two kids and doesn't even try to meet them. Again! They had the same situation in the last game too. It bothered me there and bothers me here even more because it wasn't funny the first time.

Ah well. It's still AA game: outrageous characters, courtroom antics, stepladders. I liked how flashback scenes looked and sounded intentionally lo-fi. They probably went a bit overboard and sprites looked more like NES than GBA. But still it was cool.

Assassin's Creed III: Tyranny of King Washington:
Similar story -- underwhelming beginning -- good/okayish end. First two episodes is just a rehash of the same content.

Seeing pyramid in the middle of New York was cool though.  And Save the Bear mission was cool too.

It's still ACIII though, and that means horrible stealth missions, complete absence of any QA whatsoever and full sync requirements that you might get or not get because of random events. Last episode had less of that though.

Animal powers make it a bit more fresh but it seems like designers thought that giving such overpowered abilities would be too easy and decided to double or triple number of enemies in all locations. So you better hope you're invisible because if you're caught, 20-30 guards will be on to you and animal power are hard to use in the heat of the battle due to clunky control scheme.

God help me, i am now seriously considering playing AC3: Liberation now...
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 26, 2014, 05:23:19 PM »
I just finished my replay of Uncharted 2.  I played the game on the lowest difficulty this time because I just wanted to blow through it.  After playing TLoU, there were plenty of moments in this game that made me wish I could throw a bottle or a brick to distract a sentry.

I had forgotten just how impressive this game was from almost all technical aspects.  Visuals are stunning, audio and superb, and the narrative is just another example of how far ahead of the competition Naughty Dog can be.  There are obvious flaws with some of the gameplay decisions, but most of those end up being minor quibbles.  For instance, at times, despite some superb level design that does a really good job of indicating where you need to go, I never really have a good grasp on just what the limits of Nate's jumping abilities are.  Instead, it seems like there are some jumps that you are allowed to make, and some you aren't, regardless of whether the physics of it work.  In some cases, a jump looks like it will fall short, but Nate gets some magical extension of the jump and he reaches the ledge.  Some of the puzzles would have been much easier to solve if that wasn't such a guessing game.

I think someone here mentioned that they wished there were more contextual animations for things like running into walls.  I am inclined to agree with this, as going through the game again, those animations are far too limited in their triggers.  There also happens to be a lot of sliding when you need to activate a lever or a switch and Nate's character model isn't in exactly the right location to begin the animation.  Obviously, there are limits to what the PS3 can do, so hopefully a PS4 iteration can increase that level of immersion.

Combat is the area that I can imagine being the most divisive.  It works well enough, but, and this might have to do with the controller, I never fell in love with it.  Melee is fun enough, but the gunplay never felt quite as empowering as it should.  Enemies are bullet-sponges, and it is really pronounced in the last 30ish minutes of gameplay when you have to fight the blue smurf-guardians.  There are far too many encounters that start with 4 or 5 enemies, and then grow every time you dispatch the first wave.  After playing Tomb Raider on PC, and experimenting with mouse + keyboard, I really miss the precision aiming afforded by that setup.

The standout of the series is presentation and narrative, and this game really nails it.  I really enjoy the interactions between the characters.  Voice acting(performance capture?) is top notch, really solidifying the cinematic experience of the game.  I like that characters continue to converse during lulls in combat, something that I think BioWare got away from in Mass Effect 2 and 3.  The personalities of all the characters have been meticulously crafted, and everybody feels fairly consistent.

After finishing Uncharted 2, it's really neat to see just how much they improved on the first game.  Still having TLoU relatively fresh in my mind, it's incredible to see just how much they've managed to build on their formula.  I look forward to whatever it is Naughty Dog brings to the PS4(Uncharted 4 by all estimations) and seeing just what steps they take to improve on an already great formula.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 10, 2014, 01:58:32 PM »
Metro: Last Light (PC)

Got really sick of this game about 2/3s of the way through. Once the impressive graphics and atmosphere wear off, you're basically left with a non-interactive railed exhibit, with occasional perfunctory shooting sequences. Human fighting is okay, but there's no reason to use the stealth mechanics because the game is really easy and there's plenty of ammo on non-Ranger difficulty (and I wasn't about to pay for a hard mode). Monster fighting is awful, though, just a chore, made worse by several instances of "fight endlessly spawning creatures while waiting for an extremely slow elevator/trolley/whatever." Also, the writing is really bad and there are some godawful boss fights. I'd skip this one.

Tomb Raider (PC)

Enjoyed this one for the most part. It's actually more like Arkham Asylum than Uncharted, just with mediocre shooting action instead of good brawling action. I got burnt out on the "collect 10 mushrooms!" stuff, but did go back and get all of the GPS caches and journals and whatnot. I quite like the vertical arrangements of the larger areas and the general design density. Overall I could have done with 75% less combat and 75% more environmental puzzles.

I think it would've been cool if they'd limited Lara to the bow for most of the game, with maybe some limited handgun ammo. With that you could have fewer combat encounters with much greater impact, perhaps a hard limit on how many cultists are on the island (similar to the Treasure Island book) instead of the illogical thousands seen in the actual game.

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 15, 2014, 03:23:09 AM »
The Last of Us DLC - Left Behind

For $15, it's tempting to say that this single player DLC is overpriced.  At the same time, with new assets, and the whole performance capture aspect, I can understand that the content was probably pretty expensive to create.  Overall, there's not really anything here that wasn't in the original game.  It's gameplay sections spliced together with cinematic sequences, and sections where characters converse with each other while you walk around.  Again, the appeal of these games lies in Naughty Dog's ability to create a cohesive world with likeable and/or believable characters.

For the most part, I think they did a pretty good job with this content.  Animations are still top notch.  Voice work is astonishing.  I really enjoyed Ellie's character, and getting the chance to explore her past(and some parts from the main game) was most welcome.  I loved the pacing - combat and exposition gameplay was cleanly delineated, and the plot mechanic they used to do so was executed perfectly.  My biggest complaint with the story was that the plot's main twist kind of fell flat to me, mostly because it felt to me like Ellie and Riley were acting years beyond their 14ish years.  Of course, that may have just been a way to show that kids growing up in such an oppressive environment are forced to mature faster.  I think Ellie may have been even more foul-mouthed in the DLC than the main game.

Actual gameplay was a mixed bag for me.  The sandbox arenas are back with the twist that enemy encounters are not just limited to one type.  Infected and survivors both inhabit the same encounters, opening up new tactical opportunities to pit foe against foe.  I had fun with this mechanic, but in such a short DLC, encounters were obviously limited.

There was also a bit of a quirk to one of the encounters.  I had to get a generator up and running before crossing a parking garage.  Before attending to the generator, I explored the entire room before doubling back.  As soon as I picked up an item I needed, a bunch of enemies spawned out of nowhere.   A minor quibble, but it was definitely jarring.

Ultimately, I felt a bit disappointed with this DLC.  I loved getting back into Ellie's perspective, and I loved getting back into that world.  Seeing a bit more about who Ellie is raises some questions for me about Ellie's reaction at the end of the main game, and the discussion I have with myself is compelling.  I think the DLC's length really shines a light on its weakest component, the combat, and makes it really hard to justify the price.  But if you loved The Last of Us, and you loved Ellie as much as I did, there are enough moments here to make you smile.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2014, 11:08:41 AM »
I, on the other hand, loved the DLC and what it did that video games are generally too afraid to do. Considering how much I enjoyed it, I felt the price was completely justified. This is all subjective, of course.