Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 790413 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!
« Reply #2650 on: February 02, 2014, 12:05:21 PM »
I kind of see your point, but I disagree with it entirely. Just make a demo where you can play as every character, not just one per month. Then, if you figure out which one you like, you can buy the whole game (or just certain characters). Right now you can only play as Orchid. I don't want to play as Orchid, but I don't know if I would want to play as Jago or Sabrewulf or someone else, so let me try all of them. If this is the future of gaming then count me out.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2651 on: February 02, 2014, 08:14:07 PM »
I kinda think Killer Instinct looks like a cool game, but a hard sell. 

See, 8 characters does not feel large enough for a sequel, but it is actually more like a completely new game.  So right now, I think it is a great experiment and the demo-like nature of the game allows people to get a taste of the game.  However, I think allowing only a single player is foolish.  They should allow you to play as 2 characters.  Then at least you can have battles of 2 players playing against different characters.  Also, it means you can create unique demo experiences.  Jago vs. Orchid or Spinal vs Orchid.  Sure both demos include Orchid, but you will play differently against the other character so it will feel fresh for the verse battles. 

Personally, I think they should have waited before releasing this game.  Given a "demo" of this game for every early Xbox One adopter to play as 3-4 different characters, and waited to sell the whole game as a package when they had 10 characters available. 

I also really hate this idea of selling costumes for fighters in the game.  When did little bonuses like these become micro-purchases anyway?  It used to be included are rewards for playing the game well. 

I am not at all opposed to the selling of download content in a video game or fighting game.  I personally rather like the idea of instead of sequels, just adding new characters for purchase and tweaking the character balance and graphics sometimes...but the prices have to be worth it.  If purchasing 5 new characters plus their bonus content is the price of a new game it it too much.  If purchasing 5 characters is under $20.00 it is probably a fair deal. 

I wish Microsoft luck with the franchise, because I like that Killer Instinct's take of the fighting genre is quite different than other games out there. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: February 05, 2014, 10:28:21 PM »
I don't know what this means for Killer Instinct (or Strider) but Amazon just bought Double Helix to make games for their Android based console.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/05/amazon-acquires-video-gaming-studio-double-helix-games/

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2653 on: February 06, 2014, 12:23:53 AM »
What???  Really...I guess that is not good.  Maybe the characters are already programmed and ready to go?  Or maybe they have a contractual agreement with Microsoft to work on the game.  Anyway, this sucks, and I hope something gets resolved because I want Killer Instinct to do well. 

Maybe another character can pick up the game where they left off?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: February 06, 2014, 01:18:21 AM »
Microsoft owns the IP now (the publisher almost always does), they can choose anyone to make another KI game. I didn't realize which companies Double Helix consisted of, but they have put out some flat-out classic games in the past.

Offline Br26

• OH REALLY
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2655 on: February 06, 2014, 02:34:29 AM »
Amazon acquiring game companies is very interesting. What it leads to though, I have no idea.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: February 06, 2014, 11:40:41 AM »
Amazon acquiring game companies is very interesting. What it leads to though, I have no idea.

It leads to their own Android based console that will supposedly compete against the big three players. I have not looked into it really as I wasn't sure it was ever going to materialize as a consumer product worth owning (ouya, Nvidia shield, occulus?)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: February 06, 2014, 12:15:56 PM »
Amazon is really wanting to bolster all of their Internal projects and studios to cover all bases. They want to compete in l markets and attempt to dominate like they've done in the book market. Will be inttrsting to see if theyre console is a big box or something Oyua style.

Any who seems the plan is to let double Helix finish up season one and possibly season 2. Phil Spencer tweeted something to the effect that the core KI team at Microsoft will be taken care of. I'm guessing guys from DH will leave yo go to who ever is taking over KI.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: February 06, 2014, 01:23:24 PM »
Amazon as a platform provider will be dangerous.

-Instant Prime account to access online, which means free 2 day shipping off all retail games (assuming it isn't 100% digital), access to Prime Instant at no extra charge, free ebooks, and everything else that comes with being a Prime member
-Kindle integration for whatever they want to use it for.
-Popular sales platform in Amazon.com with built in digital books, games, apps, music, tv shows & movie store
Which means sales and/or free books, apps, games, music, shows and movies. That's a HUGE day 1 library for browsing.
-cloud service already up and running
-massive servers capable of handling just about whatever needs they have for gaming
-infrastructure, customer service, name/brand recognition & deep pockets
-And soon, exclusive gaming content to go with their exclusive tv shows

That's allot of things going for it right out the gate.
Nintendo should be a little worried, setting as how Amazon already doesn't favor certain Nintendo hardware being sold on their site. MS & Sony should also be weary of what Amazon is doing.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: February 06, 2014, 03:56:42 PM »
If the Amazon Console is anything like how they setup Prime... I don't want to be any part of it.  The UI is Microtransaction riddled and bad.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: February 06, 2014, 04:09:51 PM »
I agree, I have trouble trying to separate the Prime videos from the pay videos.
it's annoying at times.

The UI for Prime is a minor negative though.
That would hardly be the technical issue thing that kept if from succeeding.

For the right price and with enough 1st & 3rd party support, depending on the specs (closer to PS4 than Wii U), it could be a problem.

But this is a discussion for a whole different thread.
I might make one if I take the time to look up what's known about the "system" so far

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: February 06, 2014, 06:20:08 PM »
I agree, I have trouble trying to separate the Prime videos from the pay videos.

It's because you're blind, right?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: February 06, 2014, 08:14:27 PM »
no because I go into search for shows and it shows me everything available, and I only want to see what is free and included with prime. not the cost to rent or own, especially when there is no "free w/ Prime" available.

Kinda like if you were searching for something to watch on Netflix right now and they showed you things that you had to get on a disc.

I admit that I haven't spent much time with it. But no, I'm not blind, just used to a superior streaming interface called Netflix.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: February 06, 2014, 09:20:24 PM »
That's funny, because I'm looking at it right now and it definitely lets me see only what is free.

I use Netflix and Hulu too, but that doesn't mean you need to spread misinformation like that when you admitted yourself you haven't spent much time with it.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: February 06, 2014, 09:32:18 PM »
Yeah, BnM's post that will be read by 10 people is going to cause the downfall of Amazon.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2665 on: February 06, 2014, 09:51:16 PM »
Netflix has gotten better at showing what's free and what's not (especially now that more is free with Prime), but BnM is right: searching isn't super helpful with differentiating.  Especially when you can still rent movies you can watch for free.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: February 06, 2014, 10:49:01 PM »
I don't use Prime often, but I go in, go over to kids and family and 80% of the selection has Prime in the corner, some titles are rent or buy only.
I type in what I'm looking for on the keyboard, and there is a mixture of prime/rent/buy.

I use netflix all the time, I goto for kids, and everything they show me is available for streaming now.
I goto search, I type in what I'm looking for and if it shows up, it's available for streaming now.

I know they have different setups (Netflix is only streaming & Amazon is stream/rent/buy), but I'm used to Netflix because that is what I've been using for years. I just logged onto Amazon Prime about 2-4 months ago and I've only been in it about maybe a dozen or so times for kids shows when Netflix wasn't working.

There may be a way to filter for prime only, but like I said, I don't use it often, so I haven't really tried to figure it out, because I haven't really had a reason to.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: February 06, 2014, 11:06:09 PM »
That's funny, because I'm looking at it right now and it definitely lets me see only what is free.

I use Netflix and Hulu too, but that doesn't mean you need to spread misinformation like that when you admitted yourself you haven't spent much time with it.

Gotta be honest, I encountered the same problem as BlackNMild.  On the PS3 app, it was a hot mess the last time I tried (roughly 5 months ago), being completely unclear what was free as part of the subscription, and what required you to pay for episodes.  Maybe they've improved it since then, but navigating & using prime was agonizing compared to Netflix back then.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: February 07, 2014, 10:55:29 AM »
Technically Killer Instinct is Rare's IP, so why doesn't Microsoft just let Rare take over its development? They have plenty of options, they don't really need Double Helix.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:06:16 AM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: February 07, 2014, 11:02:43 AM »
It still is.  I used it just the other day.  I have yet to find a way to say that I only want shown what  I get from Prime so my Son can use it.  Even then if its on Prime you could still end up paying for it by accidentally clicking rent or buy which I've done.

Its a consumer unfriendly Mess especially when you've got Netflix and a lesser extent Hulu to mimick.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2670 on: February 07, 2014, 11:27:44 AM »
Killer Instinct is Microsoft's IP, just like Guitar Hero and Call of Duty are Activision's.

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: February 11, 2014, 10:30:32 PM »
Didn't want to make a new thread for this, but it's sorta pertinent, so...

Titanfall beta is announced for this weekend running from the 14th for 4 days.  You can sign up at the Titanfall website for either the Xbox One or the PC version.  Unfortunately, they seem to be getting hammered at the moment, so you may be trying for a while.  I couldn't login to Origin for a while, perhaps that was just a coincidence.  Got signed up for the PC beta after a few attempts, wasn't too painful.  I'm actually looking forward to playing this, even though I still really suck at competitive multiplayer.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: February 12, 2014, 09:54:24 AM »
I be interested to hear how it compares to MWO.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: February 14, 2014, 03:00:38 PM »
Watched Giant Bomb coverage of Titanfall beta yesterday and today.

Okay, now i see it. Really cool game. Not something i'd play myself but some really nice and polished stuff in there.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: February 14, 2014, 03:20:05 PM »
They sent me an Xbone beta key which I cant use since I dont have an Xbone yet.  I'm assuming it was a mix up, since I'm pretty sure I signed up for the PC beta.