Author Topic: Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World  (Read 67683 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
« Reply #225 on: November 14, 2008, 10:56:25 AM »
It doesn't appear that they did.
I know KDR that was my point.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #226 on: November 14, 2008, 11:13:12 AM »
How far is everybody?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #227 on: November 14, 2008, 11:40:27 AM »
I've put 7 hours in so far.  I have vacation starting tomorrow, and I'll be starting all over as I go thru the entire game via multiplayer with my friend.  We'll try to get at least 2 of the endings next week.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #228 on: November 14, 2008, 06:29:37 PM »
So far, this game earns FIST.

Can't wait to unlock more FIST.

Can't wait to dish out more FIST.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #229 on: November 14, 2008, 09:36:07 PM »
I got the game! Yes! Last one!Yes!Be back later! Yes indeed!
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #230 on: November 15, 2008, 01:05:41 AM »
Well I made it to Asgard and met The Chosen of Regeneration
Alices chronies beat me.I like how Emil reacts to Martas advances.It is funny.I like how it is unfolding.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 15, 2008, 07:46:58 AM »
This game is fail until a PAL version is announced.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #232 on: November 15, 2008, 04:06:12 PM »
I will keep a eye out KDR.

Well I got my first member of the original game she is quite the apoligizer and clumbsy but she has a kind heart.After I got her we went to this ancient ruin and there was this giant bird.It was to tough so we had to figure out a way to break though its defences.The cheery girl suggested something.We did it.Came back and beat that bird twice.Now I am deep below this ruin.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 15, 2008, 05:47:49 PM »
Get Disaster. I want Tales too but I think we got the better deal, so it's not fair to complain about this. :)

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 15, 2008, 05:53:26 PM »
I will probably get this for christmas me thinks.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Gylldas

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 16, 2008, 01:51:48 PM »
I picked this up on Friday and I'm now in Meltokio.  It's not perfect but I'm really enjoying the game so far.  Definitely worth it for $40 if you enjoyed the original.

Also I love how we see Yuan in Asgard for like 10 seconds and have yet to see him again.
Zelos is still a jerk.
Wii #: 4257-3057-1441-3307   MKart: 2578-3513-8937
Brawl: 4468-0638-0667           City Folk: 4296-6475-9060(Mike/Seacrest)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 16, 2008, 02:13:51 PM »
Get Disaster. I want Tales too but I think we got the better deal, so it's not fair to complain about this. :)

But Disaster is expensive....

I think I should stop reading this thread since it seems to be all about American spoiling the game now.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #237 on: November 16, 2008, 04:52:48 PM »
I was playing multiplayer last night from the beginning and we caught up to where I left off in singles.

We've only been allowed 2 players so far, but this has got to be the premiere co-op adventure on Wii right now.  The camera and control tweaks pretty much make battles play like a dream (unless the enemy is so many levels higher... LIFE BOTTLES!)

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #238 on: November 16, 2008, 07:11:53 PM »
How far are you Pro?
I am in the Isala human ranch I saw a Red headed dude that was full of himself.He didn't join me but he saved this sadist person. I saw a professor that was looking for this boy.I got lots of new monsters of the water variety. I am leveling them up. I also got an Ogre he is really slow so I try to bring the enemy to him.Oh yeah I saw Richter again.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 16, 2008, 08:14:55 PM »
so far this game has been great. I am digging the interaction with the previous heroes.

i do have one question. what in the HELL is emil wearing? seriously? i think it is a sundress with a cape attached.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #240 on: November 16, 2008, 08:51:42 PM »
Emil wishes to surround himself with RPG MENS, cuz that's the kind of RPG boy hero he is.

And I won't be making "i got to [here]" posts cuz they're spoilers and I don't like seeing or discussing spoilers until 6 months have passed after the game's release in all territories.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #241 on: November 20, 2008, 11:25:07 PM »
Well I got a bit further. I got 3 new members.I am starting to learn why Lloyd is acting this way.It is possible that Lloyd hasn't done any of these bad things but an imposter.
Right now I am leveling up my Monsters. Before I go on to my next destination.I am finding out more about Alice.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #242 on: November 21, 2008, 12:14:22 AM »
WOW, this was a nice game with a proper ending.  Somebody fly to Japan and teach the Zelda team how to end a game.

Clocked-in 50 mulitplayer hours including grinding/treasure hunting/item creation experimentation.

Melee combat for the two main characters is emphasized, and battles with screen-filling attack spells have been de-emphasized.  Do-everything mages like Genis and Raine have taken a backseat, as I've assigned monsters to perform the healing and attack magick functions, with the added benefit that they're much better melee combatants than Raine and Genis ever were.  The monsters are cooler than I expected, they have a variety of awesome/useful abilities, and they can be tailored to be very effective in battle (sometimes too effective), depending on how one manages all their aspects.  Monster designs are generally pleasant and/or cute, and some evolutions are badass and make you go "I WANT THAT IN MY PARTY."

The dungeons and save points are much better paced than in ToS.  The story is better integrated with the dungeons/boss progression, improving the maintenance of freshness, preventing the overly predictable 1990s game design of "you'll definitely fight this elemental boss at this elemental temple" found in Zelda and ToS where the story disappears and the dungeon roaming drags on until the temples are scratched off the checklist.  The price for all this is geographic restrictions, no overworld, and increased linearity.  No overworld is no big deal since grinding with unidentified random enemies is a waste of time.  The enemy avatars in dungeons respawn on a regular basis, providing adequate encounters for grinding, as well as semi-predictable locations to revisit to befriend monsters.

There's a good balance between revisited dungeons and completely new areas.  I think they did a great job tying the new story infrastructure back with the previous geography, history, and characters from the previous game, as well as some references to the "future" of the series (ToP).

I think it has the finest combat in all the series (I hope they build off this in the next game) and doesn't need much explaination.  A lot of the convoluted "T versus S" alignment crap from the last game was thrown out.  Many options/nuances have been reworked to make a more streamlined product.  You simply learn all the techs/artes/skills you can, and I've utilized all 12 controller shortcuts.  Boy hero is focused on high-damage sword combos, while Girl hero was specifically designed for combo support with some extensive base combos of her own, in addition to healing duties.  In other words, awesome teamwork by design (we got a +13 grade on one of the latter boss fights).

3-4 person multiplayer is not advisable until the near-END of the game, because the playable roster of extra characters changes throughout the story (many extras, or sometimes none).  Cameo characters cannot take the Player-1 slot, and monsters are not playable.

When all is said and done, this game is an incredible 2-player co-op adventure that a single-player reviewer will not realize.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 12:39:36 AM by NinGurl69 *huggles »

Offline Gylldas

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 21, 2008, 12:55:36 AM »
I just finished this game last night and I agree that they handled the ending very very well.  Also, the final boss battle was much better and enjoyable than the fight against you know who in the first Symphonia.  I clocked in about 35 hours but I kinda rushed through.  For everyone who hates Emil, get through the beginning of the game as he has very interesting character development.  Much more so than Lloyd in the original.  Everything fits together really well.

Personally, I didn't depend too much on monsters to get through the game.  Whenever I had the chance I put old Symphonia characters in my party.  This seems like an optional aspect really except for the parts when you have only Emil and Marta in the party. (This actually killed me in the last dungeon during a certain fight)

Anyhoo, I really enjoyed this game and will probably replay it again with a friend for co-op and for completion.  Now I just need to hope that they port Vesperia to the PS3.  I wonder what the next MAZAASHIPPU tales title is going to be...

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #244 on: November 21, 2008, 02:14:09 AM »
Gylldas before you head to the final area can you go to every area that you did previously.I want to get as many monsters as possible.Are all areas open at the end?At the end can you use everybody in the game or is it just Emil and Marta?
Also how many chapters are there?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #245 on: November 21, 2008, 04:40:10 AM »
"Personally, I didn't depend too much on monsters to get through the game.  Whenever I had the chance I put old Symphonia characters in my party.  This seems like an optional aspect really except for the parts when you have only Emil and Marta in the party. (This actually killed me in the last dungeon during a certain fight)"

The flip side is why depend on the cameo characters at ALL when it was apparent their availability was highly variable (not to mention being non-upgradable) ?  Which leads to the subject of completion and the 2nd play-thru, things are VERY interesting/hilarious after carrying over our monsters via Grade Shop.  Our Emil started off in Luin, pre-knighthood, encountered the first Bear while supported by:  a Mermaid, a giant Wolf, a giant Bird, and a giant Dragon, all 9999 HP, all mages.  We didn't get a chance to fight MAGNAR.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #246 on: November 21, 2008, 11:35:45 PM »
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World * 480p / 60fps
Introduction
Quick battle 1 w/ Marta and Colette
Quick battle 2 w/ Emil and Marta

Offline Gylldas

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 22, 2008, 05:04:19 PM »
Gylldas before you head to the final area can you go to every area that you did previously.I want to get as many monsters as possible.Are all areas open at the end?At the end can you use everybody in the game or is it just Emil and Marta?

Before the final area you can visit the entire map and I strongly recommend you do to see some fun scenes.  All old tales characters that join your party in this game are available at the end of the game (Except for a small time in the last dungeon).  I don't remember how many chapters there are off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 01:33:26 AM by Gylldas »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #248 on: November 22, 2008, 06:30:06 PM »
Ok thanks Gylldas.I am in the 5th chapter right now.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #249 on: November 22, 2008, 08:40:46 PM »

Before the final area you can visit the entire map and I strongly recommend you do to see some fun scenes.  All old tales characters that join your party are available at the end of the game (Except for a small time in the last dungeon).  I don't remember how many chapters there are off the top of my head.

AMAZING USAGE OF THOSE SPOILER TAGS, BUD