Author Topic: Message from the Director  (Read 3281 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Message from the Director
« on: September 19, 2003, 05:18:25 PM »
What's going on with the site?

Hi everyone, glad you could get to this page.  Please share this message with any of your friends who aren't having any luck viewing the site.

You've probably noticed that PGC has been having technical problems for the past week or so.  The server is currently operating under temporary fixes, which is why it is not very stable.  We are working on implementing a permanent solution to the problem.

In the meantime, PGC should be live pretty much all the time...it's just a pain to load.  If any page on the site fails to load, wait a few seconds and refresh.  Usually this will make the page successfully load after one or two tries.

We know it's annoying to you, because it's definitely annoying to us.  In fact, the same problem that makes it hard for you to read the site also makes it hard for us to update the site, which is the reason we haven't really been pumping out the proper amount of coverage this week.  Media is particularly hard for us to upload right now, so you may not see a lot of screenshots until we get things straightened out.

I hope you now have a better understanding of what's going on here.  Please bear with us and try not to get too frustrated.  We'll keep updating the site as long as you keep reading it, and no technical difficulties are going to stop that relationship in the long run.

Jonathan Metts
Director, PlanetGameCube.com

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Message from the Director
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 05:33:38 PM »
thats a relief i thought it was just me...but its been doing this to me for more then the past week...
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

RE: Message from the Director
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 05:34:07 PM »
It is the flash ads that are breaking your site! You would think they ad people would be nice to you instead of always trying to break you webpage!

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 05:42:21 PM »
I've noticed no problems (though I do have JavaScript disabled), and I visit many times a day.
Stuff.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 05:46:45 PM »
I remember I used to have Java disabled to visit this site because of that blasted "The Core" ad.  I still refuse to see that movie to this day because that ad irritated me so much.  If I could deal with that horrible ad, I can deal with some slowdown.  I have to say that I prefer the stupid "The Core" ad, which I absolutely LOATHE, but that's just me.

Anyways, I am very glad that this is finally on the main page, rather than just denying the problem.  At least now you probably won't lose the rest of your viewers.  
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003, 07:03:02 PM »
As far as we know, it has absolutely nothing to do with the advertisements or Javascripts we are running.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2003, 02:07:04 AM »
It IS a server problem. The connection to the server fails pretty often, no ad in the world could cause that.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2003, 07:16:32 AM »
The update didn't really say anything that wasn't obvious. What's the ETA on getting her up at full speed again?
"wow."

Offline TechStorm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2003, 07:53:56 AM »

Offline TechStorm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2003, 07:57:57 AM »
Hi,

I use Opera all the time (I have 7.10) with Javascript is enabled. I check PCG nearly every day, sometimes even twice in the day, and I have had no problems ever with the site.

I think it just might be true about the popup ads because of this: Opera blocks unwanted popups, and will only issue a popup if I explicitly click on a link whose sole function is to bring a popup forward (so that those you really want are not blocked).

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2003, 08:07:06 AM »
We have ways of testing the site without the ads.  We know for a fact that it's not the ads causing the problem.  
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2003, 08:53:15 AM »
Today and yesterday have been espacially nice.  Pages were loading just as quickly as other sites, and there was no double posting (nevermind TRIPLE).

I'm glad to know you guys are working on it, although I never doubted that you were.

There are no ads that annoy me on the site except for the match.com one that says "Single in Rhode Island?" but that's just becuase I live there.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2003, 07:16:23 PM »
Currently the site works well for me.  A week ago it did not load at all.

I hope you guys permanantly fixed the server (or if the server sucks that badly that it cannot be fixed, got a new one)
Matt
Contact Info in Profile