Author Topic: Server Problems?  (Read 6965 times)

Offline Matt

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Server Problems?
« on: June 17, 2003, 04:47:11 PM »
Are you still having server problems at PGC?

I'm noticing the media viewer (that thing is pointless in my view, having a straight link to download is faster and easier for readers like me) acting slow.

Also, the forums seem a bit slow.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
Server Problems?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2003, 02:12:05 AM »
Why did PGC change servers in the first place? The last one was working quite well if I may remember (Unless my memory is about as pitiful as ever)
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Server Problems?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 04:25:47 PM »
I seem to be having extreme posting problems. Both today and yesterday. I'm on dial-up, but still....
It's taking ages to post a reply, and when it does, I get a page cannot be displayed. I then I have to go back a few times, and refresh the page to see my post.

Annoying to say the least

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 07:30:40 PM »
Yes, the way we're staving off the DOS attacks (which are STILL happening, I might add), are by simply throwing away requests that appear to be "malformed".  Unfortunately, some perfectly good requests get caught in the trap too.

Trust me, I'm more pissed off about this than anyone, but at least the site is MOSTLY functioning.  And once whomever is responsible GROWS THE HELL UP, we'll be better than ever.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Server Problems?
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 09:11:05 PM »
are the dos attacks dying off at night? because I get near perfect performance late at night, (like 1 to 2am eastern)...or is it just ok because there are so few real people accessing?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Server Problems?
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2003, 05:15:43 PM »
The way I handle this is by clicking every button (even the reply button), about 20 times, until it starts to load the next screen.  It almost always works, but it's a pain in the butt.

Rick, I hope you catch the guy and beat the snot out of him.  This is just insane.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
Server Problems?
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2003, 05:39:29 PM »
It's gotten better for me, but it may just be the transition to another computer; on my vacation the board was hopeless, now it usually works.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline olanmills

• View Profile
Server Problems?
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2003, 09:13:03 PM »
I've been noticing problems too since you guys have been using the new user. Many times when I visit the homepage, nothing appears on my screen. There is a short loading time, but the page is completely blank, no 404 error or "This page cannot be found" or anything like that. It's just blank. Sometimes just the purple scroll bar appears. Or sometimes this happens when going to a news story from the main page.

Sometimes, refreshing the page fixes it, but many times refreshing the page just repordoces the blank page and I just have to come back later. I'm using the latest version of IE, and I have Windows XP Pro.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2003, 02:14:05 AM »
at times the images dont work for me, on the forums, which is a bit of a hassle

other than that its only ever a bit slow, or i dont notice it..

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Server Problems?
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2003, 12:48:46 PM »
I sometimes have the same problem as PIAC, images not loading. Sometimes they extremely elongated, too- very weird, but it goes away after a while. I actually haven't had the problem in a while.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2003, 08:06:59 PM »
Who is DOSing PGC and why?
Matt
Contact Info in Profile

Offline JB

• The Grandfather of All Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2003, 12:28:05 PM »
What kind of DOS is it? Have you considered asking your hosting provider to implement a router block?
AC Name:Jan
Town:Zooropa

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2003, 02:53:49 PM »
If the answer were that simple, we'd have done it.  Trust me, everything that CAN be done ... is.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
Server Problems?
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2003, 05:01:10 PM »
I said it was fine before, but it seems to have gotten worse.  It sort of fluctuates now, from barely working to going smoothly.  Good luck trying to stop the attacks, though.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2003, 06:24:12 AM »
DOS, Ricks secret to losing weight.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Server Problems?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2003, 10:41:32 AM »
I have another problem that recently cropped up- sometimes while I'm writing posts the cursor will sudennly jump back up the line I'm writing and everything I was supposed to be typing at the end is mysteriously in the middle. If I'm posting a new thread sometimes the cursor will jump to the topic line. It rarely ever happens but it's really annoying when it does.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline JB

• View Profile
Server Problems?
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2003, 11:41:39 AM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
I have another problem that recently cropped up- sometimes while I'm writing posts the cursor will sudennly jump back up the line I'm writing and everything I was supposed to be typing at the end is mysteriously in the middle. If I'm posting a new thread sometimes the cursor will jump to the topic line. It rarely ever happens but it's really annoying when it does.

It sounds like it is a problem that is happening locally at your computer. PGC's server can't control your cursor. Is there a mobile phone close to your keyboard or mouse? Do you have a cordless desktop?  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Server Problems?
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2003, 12:06:13 PM »
I don't have a cordless desktop, and the only cellular phone we have is a floor above my computer on the side of the house. I do have a laser mouse, though, that's had some problems before. The problem only happens on PGC, though- never when I replying to emails or typing in URLs or writing in Word.

Offline JB

• View Profile
Server Problems?
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2003, 02:36:35 AM »

I don't have a cordless desktop, and the only cellular phone we have is a floor above my computer on the side of the house. I do have a laser mouse, though, that's had some problems before. The problem only happens on PGC, though- never when I replying to emails or typing in URLs or writing in Word.

In that case, my best guess is that it is some software interfering with your mouse and/or keyboard drivers. I see that PGC has a flash-advertisement up for Banzai. This particular advertisement seems to be causing me some trouble as well on some sites.  When visiting IGN my mouse sometimes stops working, but this only happens when the Banzai advertisement is on the screen. If I go to a webpage without this advertisement(using my keyboard only) my mouse suddenly works again.  

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2003, 02:44:10 PM »
This is simply because you started typing before the page finished loading.  I get the same annoying problem at Hotmail. As soon as the page loads, your cursor jumps back to the beginning or to some other seemingly random place.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Server Problems?
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2003, 03:27:23 PM »
I guess that's the problem- even on DSL it still takes a few seconds for the page to load and I usually don't like to wait that long.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Server Problems?
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2003, 04:12:47 PM »

haha, I have the same thing happen to me.  I'm typing in my password and I press enter it tells me to enter a password and I look up and my password in in the middle of my username and I don't type in my username because my computer doe sit for me.  Oh well.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
Server Problems?
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2003, 07:01:20 PM »
Happens here, too.  I guess DSL brats like us just don't wait for everything to finish loading.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Server Problems?
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2003, 04:12:40 AM »
Happens to me, and it is really annoying.  My most recent thread was:

"tNeed help, not urgent, not really important"

WHERE DID THAT "T" COME FROM?!

I know it's not really a big deal, but it does not reflect well on my repuatation as the greatest forum-er of all time.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
Server Problems?
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2003, 08:39:45 AM »
You know, man, you could just edit the original post in that thread and get rid of the T- it's not set in stone.