Author Topic: Is your GameCube not working?  (Read 4528 times)

Offline SuperLink666

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Is your GameCube not working?
« on: May 27, 2003, 05:16:54 PM »
Are you getting the 'disk can not be read, consult your instruction booklet or local Nintendo retailer' error?
Recently I've been reading anyone that got GameCube at launch , their GameCube seems to be NOT Working and getting the same error.. grr now I have to buy a new one and goes months without a video game system because I don't have the cash right now.

Anyone know websites that tell you how to fix this problem? Nintendo made a mistake in their hardware somewhere i can almost garauntee it.. unless all the people that have corrupt GameCubes take really bad care of them (not likely I literally made sure mine was never dirty or little kids played it)
www.warppipe.com
GameCube games - Playable online!

Offline ReallyScrued

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 05:41:04 PM »
i heard somewhere to spread some water on a q-tip and carefully swipe it across the laser. then quickly use the other side to dry it.  it seems to really help with disc read errors. as a last resort you can try rubbing alcohol, i dont kno if that would mess it up though.  the "hardware problem" is realy that the gamecubes durring the last chrismas launch had a weak laser. ps2 gets ALOT of disc read errors because the discs are lighter than normal disks and they want to fly up while being spun, gamecubes discs are held onto the middle but you could try making the disc heavier with some masking tape across the edges. hope this helps.
ScrUed

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
RE: Is your GameCube not working?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 05:48:53 PM »
Definitely contact Nintendo to see what you should do.  They should be your first option to see what their options or suggestions are.  

Offline Cap

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 05:56:43 PM »
i got my gamecube on launch day and have never had a single problem with it. even the controller that came with the system is still going strong. although i've never had to use, i've heard that nintendo has great warranty service, and even if you dont have warranty anymore they may still fix your system. it never hurts to call them and at least see what they have to say about it.

Offline Oogle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 05:58:24 PM »
Might be a long shot, but I saw this at IGN.
http://cube.ign.com/mail/2003-05-21.html

I had a "no disc" problem with my GC at one point too, and the
solution was simple. open the disc cover, and look at the little disc
holder itself, the little "push" hold clicker thing. Sometimes it can
get lose from the part right under it, causing it to not grip and
therefore, not spin the disc. If this is the case, turn and tighten the
little thing until it is tight - problem solved. It took me a good 20
min to figure out one day that this was the problem with it, and its no
big deal. Try this out before paying to get it repaired. oh and IGN,
excellent E3 coverage, nice work.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 06:19:07 PM »
I assure you that I have put as much use into my GameCube as many of you have.  I have never had one single freeze outside of the Battle of Hoth in Rogue Leader.  I have never once had a "disc error", except for the time I forgot to put the disc in the GameCube...  and I have never had a problem even with a scratched disc.  My GameCube played the most scratched rental copy of Eternal Darkness you are ever likely to find without a hitch.

I waited up all night outside of Walmart on launch day for my GameCube.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline teh1337h4x0r

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 06:22:13 PM »
Well arn't you special.

I had problems with my GameCube a couple months ago.  Got it fixed, $80 down the drain.

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2003, 07:43:10 PM »
i had no problems with my GC until zelda came out and i played it for 15 hours straight, took a nap, and then played it for another 4 hours... then i got a "disk read error"

but i got it fixed now... not fixed as in repaired, but the problem has been solved so to speak
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline SuperLink666

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2003, 03:18:25 PM »
I really don't want to spend $120 to repair it (Canadian)..

Seems like too much when i can almost buy another system. And about that IGN mailbag thing what does he mean by that cause I've tried some stuff but the spinner still seems a little loose.
www.warppipe.com

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2003, 03:25:55 PM »
Well yellowfellow, playing a game for 15 hours straight wasn't really the smartest thing to do
Overheating does occur after a while...

I've only ever had two small errors with my GC, once on Rogue Leader during the training level (froze up) and once on Metroid Prime near the end (suddenly cut out)

Offline monk72

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2003, 03:32:07 PM »
Where can I find your email address Superlink?
I do not see a profile or anything...probably my fault that I dont see it.

I can try to offer some safe tips to try, but I would rather keep it out of the forums if we're having a one on one conversation.
"is that a THIRD PILLAR in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

"great minds...             ...play Nintendo"

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2003, 03:35:19 PM »
Mine's working fine, although I haven't played it a while.

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2003, 07:25:01 PM »
yah superlink, i've got a tip for you too

email me:  dsfs_8@hotmail.com    
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2003, 07:32:18 PM »

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey
Well yellowfellow, playing a game for 15 hours straight wasn't really the smartest thing to do
Overheating does occur after a while...

Any electronic device that can't take at least 48 hours of work without break is not fit to be operated IMO.  I have often played my GameCube in 20+ hour marathons, and I expect it to perform diligently to the very end.  I expect that I can run it continuously for a week, pausing the game for sleep breaks if I so chose.

It has performed excellently under all these circumstances.  I killed a member of the competition with these activities however.  (A PS2)
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2003, 10:18:08 PM »
never use alcohal to clean optical stuff it leaves a film that i difficult to clean off.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline SuperLink666

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2003, 09:13:11 AM »
anyone that has tips please e-mail me at primitive_spasm@hotmail.com

Please Note ive already contacted Nintendo so they know that I have a broken GameCube..  
www.warppipe.com

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2003, 04:22:37 PM »
I got some "Disc cannot be read" errors a few months ago... but it was because of a few fingerprints on the discs left by my younger brother when he was using it. I ...perswayed him into being more careful!
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline bootang82

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2003, 03:07:29 PM »
Sometimes my cube doesn't load the disc when I turn on the power, so I have had to open and close the lid a bunch of times to get it to work. The best thing you can do is call Nintendo and find where the nearest repair center is (if you are like me and bought it close to launch, just complain until they extend your warrantee).  So just hold your breath for a week since you wont be able to play, but once you get it back, it is SOOOO worth the week you didn't have it. Not having to worry while playing is the best feeling.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2003, 03:58:02 PM »
I've never had any problems with mine.  None.  My friend got that error thing, but his warranty wasn't up, so it was no problem.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline SCF

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2003, 04:11:08 PM »
neither have i and i got mine at launch time and its still good as new. I Keep saying this people dont do anything to it, call nintendo they will help you with this...after all arent they the ones that made this system in the first place?
thks infernal monkey for my avatar

Offline Cube323

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2003, 04:27:07 PM »
I've told this story before, so I'll keep it brief.  My friend was having the same problem.  He called Nintendo and they sent him to a local authorized repair center. (Lake Electronics in Albany, NY)  Not only did they fix it for free, but they also dropped it off at his house.  Plus as an added bonus, they replaced the "disc" on the console lid saying "it looked a little scratched."  Also I might add that my friends GC was beyond the limit of his warranty.  That's customer service.

I also must say that my GC has seen hundreds of hours worth of play.  It has traveled back and forth between two coasts over 7 times and not once have I had the slightest trouble with it.

Unlike my first PSX and my second PSX and now my Ps2.  All of which have disc read errors.  I actually turned my first PSX into an ashtray.

Still if you think thats bad, I have another friend, whose X-box literally started smouldering, even though it was not turned on.  He came into his living room and smelled something funny.  He traced the odor to his X-box and found out that his system was now dead.

Offline Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2003, 04:05:01 PM »
Here's what you do...

Send the GameCube to NOA after calling customer support.

Or find an authorized repair center.
Matt
Contact Info in Profile