Author Topic: X-2 : The SPOILER I've seen it topic  (Read 8634 times)

Offline BrianSLA

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
X-2 : The SPOILER I've seen it topic
« on: May 02, 2003, 03:48:13 PM »
Well how did you like it? Did you people think it had a surprise ending like I posted last week?  

Offline Chasefox

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 05:24:16 PM »
This movie was freaking awesome.  I remember what you said last week, and I noticed it throughout the movie, especially at the end.  It was awesome man, and I thought it was alot better than the 1st, which I also liked.
Wii #: 5265 0575 1339 3836<BR><BR>Guitar Hero #:  <BR>4553-8748-6319<BR><BR>PM me if you add my #

Offline DrForester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 09:15:10 PM »
I enjoyed it quite a bit.  Much better than the first one.

only real disapointment was the opening scene with nightcrawler was never topped by any other scene.

Also, I wish they had shown Phoenix.

Like the better use of cameo's in the film.  They shouldn't have shown Colosus in the trailor though.  Jubalee cameo at the end was great.  Hope she sees screentime in X3.
"I see you've decided to go psycho.....godspeed"

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2003, 12:38:04 AM »
I liked the movie a lot.  It was a lot better than the first movie.

I think that the Storm girl is still hot, but Rogue is even hotter.  Sandra Bullock is also quite good looking, but I just like the idea of kissing a girl who will kill me with one touch.  

The part where magneto kills the guy by drawing out the iron in his blood is also quite cool.  And the part where the F-16s are flying through the Tornados is also quite nice eye candy.

But yeah.  Lots of hot chicks in that movie, and interesting ways to die.  I give it 2 thumbs up.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2003, 04:58:23 AM »
the movie was way better than the original (which i thought was really good)
the ending was perfect for the movie- especially for those who know the x-men characters
i went with my friends but some didnt understand the ending
the end also leaves open for a sequal if they ever choose to do so

but in all i though it had just the right amount of story, action, and of course some hot chicks
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2003, 05:12:00 AM »
I loved X-Men 2.

The best scenes just have to go to Nightcrawler. That rescue of Rogue from the fall was awesome. Coolest ever. And Nightcrawler himself is cool. The guy who plays him is Alan Cummings, who plays Boris in Goldeneye. That accent is unmistakable. Coincidental, cause Famke Janssen (Jean Grey) is Xenia Onatopp in Goldeneye as well.

And my friends tell me that Jean Grey is actually this Phoenix you talk about. I never read the comics or watched the cartoons. Cause at the end there's Jean's voiceover as the camera's swooping over the water, and you see this light thing under the surface. Is that her?
And who's Jubilee? I know who she is at the end (the asian chick in Xaviar's class), but who is she?
And I like Colossus. He's cool. THat's really the man of steel. In the comics, is he a student, or an X-Men? Cause in the movie, he's a student.  
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2003, 09:14:38 AM »
Yes she is possesed by the cosmic Pheonix enity that basically makes her a god (An evil one at that.). The run was durning the early 80's and it one of the best story series every. She was starting to turn into the pheonix right before she let the water god. In some ways she knew she was changing and into what so she offed her self. But the Pheonix always raises itself. I can't wait until the next one. The pheonix has more power that Xavier. (At least pre Onslaught Xavier.)

I liked it though the ending was what I though it would be. (No big surprise there.) I didn't like what they did with Jason Wyngrade.... Mastermind was a more imposing character in the comics..
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
RE: X-2 : The SPOILER I've seen it topic
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2003, 04:20:19 PM »
No spoilers please, I haven't seen the movie yet. At least use the new spoiler tag...

Offline baberg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2003, 05:46:44 PM »
First off - excellent movie.  Go see it, now.  If you haven't seen the first one, I suggest you rent that one to watch first - you'll enjoy the story a lot more.  "X2" is to "X-Men" just as "The Empire Strikes Back" is to "Star Wars".  A sequel that not only expands upon the first but introduces a whole new story with a gripping cliffhanger ending, complete with a tragic loss (Luke's hand versus...  you'll see).  Now, I'm an old-school Xmen comic fan, so I'll pop in to answer a few questions and clear things up.

Mastermind was a more imposing character in the comics.

Well, yeah, up until he died from the Legacy virus.  But that's another matter altogether.  And thanks for pointing out that Mastermind was Jason Wyngarde.  I sat in the theatre thinking "Jason Stryker, who is that?"  Guess he went by Jason Wyngarde in the comics...

And who's Jubilee?

Jubilee (in the comics) is a mallrat who can shoot fireworks out of her fingertips.  One of the famous scenes with her was playing an arcade game which, subsequently, malfunctions from her unconscious power.  Her power level has jumped up quite a bit since those days, but in the comics she's a close friend of Wolvie, much like Rogue is in the movies.

...the camera's swooping over the water, and you see this light thing under the surface. Is that her?

Yes, in a way.  If you think back to it, doesn't the light under the water kinda look like a flying bird?  Two outspread wings with a body trailing behind?  It's meant as a cinematic teaser to everybody who has read the comics - Jean has become the Phoenix, join us in X-3!

What's the Phoenix?

In Greek mythology, a Phoenix is a bird who, every 500 years, dies in fire (of its own creation) only to arise from the ashes more powerful than it was before.  You may have heard the phrase, "Like a Phoenix rising from the ashes".  The Phoenix was used to symbolize rebirth and resurrection, as well as great power consuming oneself.

In the comics, Phoenix is a God who takes an interest in Jean Grey.  Jean sacrifices herself for the other X-men, piloting a space ship down from orbit during a horrible solar flare.  The radiation was thought to have killed her, but in actuality the Phoenix stepped in right before Jean died.  And, if you remember the movie, something similar happens there as well.

I'm glad that the screenwriters are taking story arcs from the comics and adapting them to the movies, but I'm worried about how they're going to resolve the resurrection of Jean in the next movie - I think that average moviegoer won't accept "Oh, Jean, yeah, she didn't really die, she was resurrected."  I mean, it's one thing to accept miracles like that in a comic, it's another to accept it in a movie.
Name: Barry
Town: Hyrule

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2003, 05:55:04 PM »
Thanks for not marking that spoiler..

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2003, 06:37:15 PM »
This is a spoiler/I've seen it topic. Anyway, there was only one problem I had: NO GAMBIT! But I did notice something. When Mystique is looking through the computer, the file just above the one she clicks on is titled "Remy LeBeau". If you don't know, Remy LeBeau is Gambit's real name. I just hope he's in the third one.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2003, 07:43:25 PM »
So Jean Grey turns bad? And I know some people may kill me, but my sister loves Harry Potter, and that DUmbledore guy has a Phoenix bird, who does the exact same thing - dies in fire, and is reborn from it's ashes. I don't know about it being more powerful though.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2003, 09:23:13 PM »
What I loved are the absolute subtleties of the story.  The Phoenix change was foreshadowed by Jean Grey several times in the movie, not just with her eyes, but with her saying things like "Something's wrong".  It seemed like those were referring to what was about to happen next, but it was actually because she could feel herself changing.  And yes, the final scene with not only the Phoenix imagery in the water, but her very appropriate voice over at the end from the first movie was the kicker.  "But every few hundred years, evolution leaps forward."  Brilliant.  

I also love the way that the story brings in characters from the comics without feeling the need to be 100% true to the original story arcs.  For example, Bobby Drake should not be a student under Jean Grey's tutilage, as they were both part of the ORIGINAL X-Men.  For the same reason, seeking Hank McKoy as a human seemed odd, but neat.  But the way they're handling this is very cool, makes it feel "new" to even longtime fans, but still "true" at the same time.  It still weirds me out that Rogue can't fly.  

Anyway, I thought the movie was fantastic.  Simply amazing.  And I can't wait to see Jean Grey kicking some ass in the next flick.  

(For those of you unfamiliar, the Phoenix is an energy-force that possessed Jean Grey in the original comics.  Eventually, the power corrupted her, and she became the "Dark Phoenix".  It's my assumption that they will just skip over the "energy-force" part of it, and have her mutate into Dark Phoenix directly.  The original story arc is simply far too complex and convoluted to tackle in a movie, so some sacrifices like that would need to be made.)
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2003, 09:29:04 PM »
psst, mutant Gamefreak can own Jean Gray any day. I have mad skeelz that allow me to run away at INSANE speeds yo...
Anyway, I'm watching the movie tomorrow, it better be as good as everyone says

Offline BrianSLA

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2003, 10:28:27 PM »
Gamefreak,

>> no spoilers please <<

Please read the title of my topic. " X-2: The SPOILER I've seen it topic ". You could go to my previous topic " X-2: I've seen most of it & it is better than X1 " topic.... that one was spoiler free. You gotta read the title.
AND Yes the surprise I hinted at last week was that Jean Grey DIES!

Anyway did you guys who saw my first topic figure out the end or did it come out of left field for you. When I first saw it I was freaked that they killed her off. I was only watching it and had no audio so I didn't know all the story. Great movie. Much better than the first. I liked Kenneth Turan of the LA TIMES review. He said since X-1 established most of the characters, X2 could just have fun. A good time.  

Offline baberg

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2003, 04:39:12 AM »
BrianSLA, I knew what the ending was going to be, but only because I knew of the comics.  When I first saw the fire in Jean's eyes, I knew that she was becoming the Phoenix, and thusly, I knew that she had to sacrifice herself for the group (because of the comic storyline).  And, as a result of that, I knew that X3 was going to kick ass with Jean returning as the Phoenix.  

Rick, where was Hank in the film?  The only adult male non-main-character X-man I remember is Colossus, and the name-only cameo of Gambit.  

Offline Chasefox

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2003, 05:15:04 AM »
baberg, Hank was on the TV at the bar discussing mutants when Mystique started hitting on Magneto's security guard.  Then she injected the iron into his body.
Wii #: 5265 0575 1339 3836<BR><BR>Guitar Hero #:  <BR>4553-8748-6319<BR><BR>PM me if you add my #

Offline baberg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2003, 07:16:15 AM »
Thanks Chasefox.  I must've missed that cameo...  I was distracted by the rest of the scene :-)

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2003, 12:25:34 PM »
*looks up*Yes, Mystique is a very "special" character. Can't keep my eyes off her*looks up*

Any ways, I thought the movie was great. Humans pretty much got their butts whiped, and I think X-3 should return to their mutant vs. mutant style. I'd like the introduction of Sinister and/or Apocolypse in that part. Mainly because those are the two best badass villains next to Magneto.

About Phenoix, they could have it that she's been manipulated to Magneto's/Sinister's/Apocolypse's side into Dark Pheonix, so the X-men gang must duke it out against them. I'd also like Toad and Sabretooth to come back; they didn't officially die in X1, and Sabretooth is Wolverine's nemesis. It's a sad thing that Deathstrike died (I never knew she had healing powers like Wolverine), she kicked ass.

Was it just me, or did the healing process of Wolverine go tooo quick. He's pretty much undestructable.

P.S. Iron blood thing was smart and kick ass.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2003, 07:38:43 AM »
I saw X2 on Friday and I really liked it.  The first film was good but was too short and was too light on action.  It felt more like a pilot to a TV series (much like The Matrix and the first Harry Potter film).  X2 completely made up for any disappointments in the first film.

My favourite scene was probably when Wolverine was fighting all of those guys invading the mansion.  It's just so cool to see him take on like thirty guys at once and it was something that was really missing from the first film.  In the first movie Wolvie got his ass kicked pretty much the whole time which is a little out of character.  I also like the fact that he actually killed people with his blades instead of cutting stuff that falls on them or only cutting robots or other lame ways they avoid killing people in comics and cartoons.  Stabbing people with six inch blades is not the sort of thing you see in most superhero movies and it's nice to see them not wuss out to make the film more kid friendly.

I could see the Phoenix thing a mile away so I'd hardly consider it a surprise ending.  Anyone even remotely familiar with the comic or cartoon show should be able to predict almost everything that happens in the movie.  Personally I'm a little disappointed that they're going with the Phoenix storyline.  So far the films have been presented in a way that the only people with powers or anything supernatural are mutants.  Although it's flimsy there at least is a somewhat believable reason for why these people have powers.  Once you start introducing stuff like someone being possessed by an energy force and becoming a god the film stops being even remotely grounded in reality and becomes just another superhero film.  The next thing you know Spider-man starts making cameos and lasers and cyborgs start appearing everywhere.  Now while that's more true to the X-Men comic it really takes away from the mutants vs humans storyline which is the real meat of the franchise and seperates X-Men from the usual superhero stuff.  I'd much prefer it if they went with the sentinels storyline as it directly ties in with the existing storyline and is really cool.  Of course the Phoenix storyline will likely appeal to the fans so I guess that's what really matters.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2003, 08:14:50 AM »
The problem is that you, and many other fans of the comics, seem to beleive that in order to do the "Dark Phoenix Saga" storyline, they have to be 100% comic accurate ... even though the movies have gone out of their way NOT to be.  Go back and read my comments about it, Ian.  They don't have to go that direction.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2003, 08:26:08 AM »
No they don't have to go in that direction.  If they just made it so the Phoenix is merely Jean Grey's telekinetic powers gone beserk then it would tie in perfectly with the currently movies' concept of reality.

One thing I found rather odd about X2 was that Cyclops was hardly in it.  For being the LEADER of the X-Men he sure doesn't get much screen time in both movies.

Offline BlkPaladin

• View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2003, 08:35:17 AM »
As it has been said they are trying to stay way from know stories. But they do intergrate pieces of the stories. There is no real field commander in the movies. And professor X seems to call all the shots.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2003, 12:03:45 PM »
People who for the love of god need atleast a cameo: Beast, Cable, Morph, Gambit, and Bishop, that is all I have to say.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2003, 05:53:23 PM »
I loved the movie. I saw it a week after the first one appeared on tv again.
I'm not really familiar with the comics, but I loved the cartoons while growing up. I can't remember Wolverine and Cyclops having such a hate-hate relationship, but it's still great to see them go at it over the two movies. Especially that bit in the original where Wolverine, after seeing Cyclops, retracts his claws except for the middle one.

Obviously the movie cannot be 100% true to the comics/cartoons because they are very set, and deep in terms of story, so they cannot put it all up there. They have stayed relatively true to the story, and it is definitely a top-class action movie.

The Nightcrawler scene was the best of the movie, followed by *insert Wolverine fight here*. I knew I recognised Nightcrawler's voice from somewhere! "I am eenvincible!"