Author Topic: So nobody likes GameStop?  (Read 240537 times)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Re: So nobody likes GameStop?
« Reply #725 on: September 11, 2019, 08:43:30 PM »
Hmm interesting. Isn't it time for an UncleBob youtube series?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 11, 2019, 10:12:44 PM »
Sounds like the GameStop era is coming to a close.
It's a shame. I mean, the store had some issues... but it also helped to provide lots of awesome gaming moments for basically a whole generation of gamers.
NNID: ejamer

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 11, 2019, 10:30:31 PM »
Part of the big Gamestop news is that they're going to close around 200 "low performing" stores by the end of the fiscal year, and you know what? I don't feel an ounce of sympathy for any of the employees who are about to be laid off. I've had nothing but a string of bad experiences with GameStop lately.

Recently, I decided to clear out some space in my shelf and get rid of a bunch of lesser PS3 and PS4 games (along with Xenoblade & Tokyo Mirage Sessions, since they'll soon be getting Switch re-releases). Figured I'd use the credit to pick up that Walking Dead Re-remastered Collection that just came out, and put the rest on getting the price of the Link's Awakening remake down a bit.

So I came in last week after work, and lined up behind a guy with a dozen PS4 games and a PS VR headset. A few other people lined up behind me. There was one guy at the register doing the trade, and his manager was in the corner. As soon as she saw us, she left the store by the back door, leaving a crowd of now 4 people waiting behind the slowest trade-in process imaginable. She didn't returned until 15 minutes later when the trade-in was done, suddenly wanting to take people in line.

I made out pretty well in the trade-in credit, fully paying off Walking Dead & $40 out of Zelda. I stopped by yesterday on my lunch break to pick the game up, and once AGAIN there was another person with a console trade-in + stack of games. Thankfully, the person was kind enough to let me go ahead of them and spend the 5 seconds to pick up my reserved copy, but it's just such a lousy experience and this is pretty typical of GameStop. Just about every time I'm in there there's someone trying to get rid of hardware, and there's only one person at the register doing the slowest review process ever. If I wasn't getting rid of stuff, I'd never even bother with GS anymore. I've long since let my membership expire. Amazon is by no means perfect, but I don't have half the issues getting things through them as I do conducting any business with GameStop.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 11, 2019, 11:36:06 PM »
Part of the big Gamestop news is that they're going to close around 200 "low performing" stores by the end of the fiscal year, and you know what? I don't feel an ounce of sympathy for any of the employees who are about to be laid off. I've had nothing but a string of bad experiences with GameStop lately.
So basically because the handful GameStop employees you've had to deal with are shitheads that means that the hundreds of people who are getting laid off because of this news 100% deserve it and can go die in a fire for all you care? What a great take. That's totally not the number one most fucking disgusting thing I've read on these forums in a very long time.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:38:31 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 12, 2019, 12:34:19 AM »
So basically because the handful GameStop employees you've had to deal with are shitheads that means that the hundreds of people who are getting laid off because of this news 100% deserve it and can go die in a fire for all you care? What a great take. That's totally not the number one most fucking disgusting thing I've read on these forums in a very long time.

You say that like I should give a damn. I'm also just going to set aside that bit where you put words in my mouth regarding the employees committing suicide. There's a difference between "I have no sympathy for a bad situation" and "they should all go kill themselves." Perhaps you should learn to comprehend it.

I've been shopping in GameStop for decades across many different locations, in good times and bad. It's never been a great place to shop, and corporate mandates or not it's usually the employees that have been at the root of my issues with that store.

No, I have no sympathy for the employees at these LOW-PERFORMING STORES. They aren't like the folks at Game Informer that GameStop also laid off recently, who were always consummate professionals and put out quality work. It's generally well-known that there have been too many GameStop locations too close together ever since the EB purchase. They've been cannibalizing each other's sales for over a decade, and with the way that GameStop's been tumbling for the last few years if those people at the LOW-PERFORMING STORES haven't been polishing their resumes for a while now, then they're stupid as well as incompetent. It's a stronger jobs market now than it's been in quite some time. If they can't find a different job now, then chances are good that their long-term prospects were weak anyway.

Incidentally, according to Google there are 5,830 GameStops in North America. 200 closed is a drop in a bucket compared to how many they're probably going to have to close after their stock drops another 2/3 value in 6 months.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=number+of+gamestops+in+north+america
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 12:41:10 AM by broodwars »

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 12, 2019, 12:55:25 AM »

You say that like I should give a damn. I'm also just going to set aside that bit where you put words in my mouth regarding the employees committing suicide. There's a difference between "I have no sympathy for a bad situation" and "they should all go kill themselves." Perhaps you should learn to comprehend it.

This is the #1 definition of the phrase "Die in a fire" that can be found on Urban Dictionary.

die in a fire
A statement that shows such utter disgust, contempt, hatred, and/or loathing for a fellow human being that you wish for them to expire in an extremely painful(and one would assume spectacular and tragic) way. This is usually precipitated by someone so violating what the wisher considers basic human decency, morals, or intelligence that little other recourse is avaliable.
15yo_girl: hay guyz, free paris!!
human_being1: Die in a fire.

Oddly, only of the definitions of that phrase listed there (the very last one) mentions suicide. The phrase is generally used to describe dying some horrific death in general, self inflicted or otherwise, and I was unaware there was even any direct association of the phrase with suicide. If you're going to accuse me of putting words in your mouth (which isn't something I'm going to dispute, I kind of am because it's the best way to point out the absurdity of what you're saying) than maybe you should learn what those words generally mean first. Otherwise you might just end up throwing rocks from a glass house.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 01:01:46 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 12, 2019, 02:37:59 AM »
Yay.

A dumb fight.

I can't wait to step into this one pretty soon....

So much fun ahead in the direction of this conversation.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 12, 2019, 10:39:08 AM »
Yay.

A dumb fight.

I can't wait to step into this one pretty soon....

So much fun ahead in the direction of this conversation.

I think you severely overestimate how much I care in maintaining a semantic argument. I've said my piece, he's said his, and he's clarified his. I have no interest in escalating this further. People can go back to posting in the 2 Disney threads anyone uses anymore.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 12, 2019, 11:09:02 AM »
Do they have cats also?
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 12, 2019, 11:24:56 AM »
For the people who are getting laid off, I’m sure some of them are decent employees. They may just be in a low performing store due to close proximity to another store. At one point there were three GameStop locations in the town I grew up in, two in the actual mall and another in a strip mall across from the mall. It used to be like a farm town they slowly built into a retail haven by giving ridic tax breaks to businesses. Funcoland, Software Etc., and Electronic Boutique all transformed into GameStop and corporate kept all of them for years, one of the mall locations was the first to go last decade. Ultimately, I stand by this:
I’ve had a few great experiences with GameStop employees though those always felt in spite of GameStop, not because of it. They were genuinely good customer service people, and I hope they find/found better employers that truly appreciate what they bring to the table.
It sucks they lost their job because losing a job sucks even if it’s “just a retail job.” Maybe it’s a blessing in disguise? Don’t toil away at an employer like GameStop. I walked into one not too long ago. It was just sad in there. Dude was still nice to me, probably because he wasn’t also getting harassed by his District Manager.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: September 12, 2019, 10:10:01 PM »
I was visiting a friend the weekend before last, and we had a good chunk of the day to kill before going to a wedding. We hadn't played a game together in a couple years, and settled on picking up Control for PS4.

We walked to a Downtown Brooklyn Gamestop, and it took awhile to get the attention of the clerk. First he told us that Control for PS4 wasn't out. We said that it was. He dinked around on his computer for several minutes, before mumbling that they had only gotten a couple of copies in, because it "wasn't a triple-A game" and that we should have known to reserve it.

My friend was out the door and said he'd never go into a Gamestop again because he found the experience so confounding and uncomfortable. "What's a triple-A game? Why does a game store not have copies of a new game on the shelf?"

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #736 on: September 12, 2019, 10:34:31 PM »
I was visiting a friend the weekend before last, and we had a good chunk of the day to kill before going to a wedding. We hadn't played a game together in a couple years, and settled on picking up Control for PS4.

We walked to a Downtown Brooklyn Gamestop, and it took awhile to get the attention of the clerk. First he told us that Control for PS4 wasn't out. We said that it was. He dinked around on his computer for several minutes, before mumbling that they had only gotten a couple of copies in, because it "wasn't a triple-A game" and that we should have known to reserve it.

My friend was out the door and said he'd never go into a Gamestop again because he found the experience so confounding and uncomfortable. "What's a triple-A game? Why does a game store not have copies of a new game on the shelf?"

I'm seriously confused as to how a GameStop employee could think that Control wasn't a AAA game. Has that term seriously morphed into meaning "published by one of the big publishers?" Because 505 Games isn't exactly a new entity here.

Honestly, what he probably meant to say and didn't in the heat of the moment is that they didn't order many copies because Remedy games don't sell. And judging by how Control didn't even chart in the Top 20 NPD last month, I'd say they were right about that.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: September 12, 2019, 10:51:41 PM »

I'm seriously confused as to how a GameStop employee could think that Control wasn't a AAA game. Has that term seriously morphed into meaning "published by one of the big publishers?" Because 505 Games isn't exactly a new entity here.

Honestly, what he probably meant to say and didn't in the heat of the moment is that they didn't order many copies because Remedy games don't sell. And judging by how Control didn't even chart in the Top 20 NPD last month, I'd say they were right about that.

Yeah, I mean, "AAA" isn't an actual retail term, this was in all likelihood some gamer dude with weird forum ideas. Also a pretty weird thing to assume a customer knows about.

Didn't know Control bombed, but . . . maybe it would have done better if they had copies on the shelves of the biggest video game specific retailer? I don't know what's going on in the industry, but discs are cheap, and there really aren't that many notable physical releases fighting for space at this point. In book publishing, you print a load of books to get them on shelves and then return them when they don't sell, and eventually remainder or pulp them. I would think printing a book is more expensive than pressing a disc and slapping it in a case.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: September 13, 2019, 11:11:57 AM »
Forget books, look at movies.

Stores will get shipped in hundreds of new release movie.  They keep it for a few weeks/months, ship overstock back, get markdown dollars from the vendor to mark it down, ship them all back, get them back in with new, cheaper assortments, ship those back, get them back in for Black Friday sales. etc.

Video games are weird - and I think Nintendo is likely to blame.  Once a store/chain orders games, they own it. It's said and done.  Maybe they'll get markdown dollars at some point down the road, but overstock returns are unheard of.

If you read the book Game Over, it talks about Nintendo's early days dealing with an unnamed large retailer (probably Children's Palace, maybe TRU or K-Mart.  Man, look at that lost of retailers) in the days of the Game and Watch.  Now, the book is a lot of guesswork based on multiple interviews and here say, but the story goes that a retailer had a bunch of overstock Game and Watch units, so they phone Nintendo to inquire about markdown dollars.  For those who don't know, it's common in the US (and many other countries) that a retailer buys a bunch of product (toys being a big category for this) from the vendor, then, if it doesn't sell, the vendor will basically give them $x/unit that didn't sell (or, at least, credit towards future orders based off this) so the retailer can mark the merchandise down.  In Japan, this is unheard of - once the retailer buys it, they own it.  So when the retailer contacted them to ask about markdowns, Nintendo was all "lol. whut. no.".  The retailer supposedly then informed Nintendo that they would no longer be playing any future orders with them.  So Nintendo caved.

I really think this is A.) Why movies are treated so vastly different from video games.  Remember, Nintendo basically created the modern video game market.  Pre-Nintendo was a completely different world. B.) Why you *rarely* see first party titles drop in price outside of Player's Choice releases, and C.) Why Nintendo really short-ships every new item, because they feel they were burned before and don't want to be again.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 13, 2019, 12:14:22 PM »
Forget books, look at movies.

Stores will get shipped in hundreds of new release movie.  They keep it for a few weeks/months, ship overstock back, get markdown dollars from the vendor to mark it down, ship them all back, get them back in with new, cheaper assortments, ship those back, get them back in for Black Friday sales. etc.

Video games are weird - and I think Nintendo is likely to blame.  Once a store/chain orders games, they own it. It's said and done.  Maybe they'll get markdown dollars at some point down the road, but overstock returns are unheard of.

If you read the book Game Over, it talks about Nintendo's early days dealing with an unnamed large retailer (probably Children's Palace, maybe TRU or K-Mart.  Man, look at that lost of retailers) in the days of the Game and Watch.  Now, the book is a lot of guesswork based on multiple interviews and here say, but the story goes that a retailer had a bunch of overstock Game and Watch units, so they phone Nintendo to inquire about markdown dollars.  For those who don't know, it's common in the US (and many other countries) that a retailer buys a bunch of product (toys being a big category for this) from the vendor, then, if it doesn't sell, the vendor will basically give them $x/unit that didn't sell (or, at least, credit towards future orders based off this) so the retailer can mark the merchandise down.  In Japan, this is unheard of - once the retailer buys it, they own it.  So when the retailer contacted them to ask about markdowns, Nintendo was all "lol. whut. no.".  The retailer supposedly then informed Nintendo that they would no longer be playing any future orders with them.  So Nintendo caved.

I really think this is A.) Why movies are treated so vastly different from video games.  Remember, Nintendo basically created the modern video game market.  Pre-Nintendo was a completely different world. B.) Why you *rarely* see first party titles drop in price outside of Player's Choice releases, and C.) Why Nintendo really short-ships every new item, because they feel they were burned before and don't want to be again.

Yeah, I thought that was the case but wasn't sure and couldn't find hard facts on this, so I withheld saying as much sooner.

This is why companies push preorders so hard, not just because it gives them maximum profit but also because it ensures a larger number of initial orders and potential reorders. Amusingly, despite people liking to say they " support the developers by buying New", it really has no impact on the developers whether you buy a game New or Used. They don't see a penny either way, but it could affect whether a store orders more copies.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: September 13, 2019, 12:53:22 PM »
And it could sway the publisher from greenlighting a sequel.

Also, to comment on the above, I think "AAA title" is fairly commonplace and equates to "blockbuster" in the movie business.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: September 13, 2019, 01:31:13 PM »
Thinking of GameStop's history I realize that I don't have any nostalgia for THEM, I have nostalgia for Electronics Boutique.  GameStop for the most part has kept the EB Games branding in Canada but any fond memories I have of the chain are from the N64/Gamecube time frame.  Some quick research reveals that GameStop took over EB in 2005 and that's pretty much the cut off point for any fond memories I have of them.  I'm not even sure how many games I've bought from the post-GameStop EB.  Maybe five or six in 14 years.

This brings up an interesting thought - can you think of any videogame related company that you liked BETTER after a corporate merger or purchase?  Obviously Gamestop was better as separate stores, Blizzard was better pre-Activision, Square and Enix were better than the merged Square Enix, no one thinks a company got better after EA acquired them, Sega Sammy is worse than Sega alone.

Does Nintendo actually own HAL?  Because HAL is clearly superior post-Nintendo.  When they were releasing independent games the best they had was Adventures of Lolo but with Nintendo they've got Kirby and SSB.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: September 13, 2019, 02:53:34 PM »
This brings up an interesting thought - can you think of any videogame related company that you liked BETTER after a corporate merger or purchase?  Obviously Gamestop was better as separate stores, Blizzard was better pre-Activision, Square and Enix were better than the merged Square Enix, no one thinks a company got better after EA acquired them, Sega Sammy is worse than Sega alone.

Does Nintendo actually own HAL?  Because HAL is clearly superior post-Nintendo.  When they were releasing independent games the best they had was Adventures of Lolo but with Nintendo they've got Kirby and SSB.

I don't think Nintendo can count because of how much the "Nintendo Effect" improves any team's output with their involvement. Silicone Knights, Factor 5, Rare, their outputs were vastly improved by Nintendo's oversight.

Other than Nintendo I cannot think of any other positive exceptions, though I suppose Minecraft can count, though I know some debate whether that change was a positive one.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #743 on: September 13, 2019, 03:08:35 PM »
I would argue that the studios Sony's acquired (in general) are putting out games as well or better than they did before the acquisition. I don't think anyone can seriously argue that Naughty Dog was at the top of its game when they made the Crash games compared to the Uncharted & Last of Us series. Likewise, Media Molecule's basically been allowed to dump millions of dollars into Dreams that Sony's never going to get back. Guerilla Games was basically nothing before Sony acquired them. I'm not the biggest fan of the Infamous games (and much prefer Sly Cooper), but between those & Ghost of Tsushima, they seem to be doing fine post-acquisition.

I think it helps that Sony is kind of known for leaving its devs alone, though the recent trend towards one style of game in all their 1st party titles makes that claim suspect. Sony has also closed their fair share of studios, but they're nowhere near the embodiment of Death that EA is.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 03:11:22 PM by broodwars »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: September 21, 2022, 02:01:12 AM »
It's been a while, but I finally have a new "Once again, F GameStop" story.

• Checked the GameStop website for the trade-in value for a Switch Pro Controller ($22 trade-in credit; $17 cash).
  • Also saw that New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe was on sale for $43.99 new.
  • Called the nearest GameStop to confirm they price match online prices. Yes to both.
  • Also confirmed that location had a new copy of New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe in stock.
  • Took the bus to said nearest GameStop two hours later.
  • Same rep I spoke to on the phone rang me up for a used copy of New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe for $54.99; $32.99 with the Switch Pro Controller trade-in.
  • Asked for a new copy and was told me they don't have it new and no store within 20 miles has it new either. I mentioned that I called and confirmed with him that they had a new copy in stock. He shrugged. I then brought up the website and showed him that it stated this location has the game "In Stock". He shrugged again. "I don't know what to tell you." I don't know, man. Maybe not that you have a game in stock when you don't. That's why I called first. We literally had a conversation about this.
  • Told him I didn't want the game used because it's actually priced higher than new. He still tried to complete the transaction for the trade-in. Yo, F this guy.
  • Left with my Switch Pro Controller and checked the GameStop website again. Another nearby GameStop shows the game "In Stock".
  • Called that other GameStop. The rep didn't check anything and immediately stated they don't have it new or used. Fine, maybe. It sounded more like he didn't feel like doing anything, but I'd rather that than he lie to me, say it's in stock, then I go there.
  • Checked the GameStop website again for a location in my hometown in New Jersey which also shows the game "In Stock". Nine miles away from the GameStop I took the bus to.
  • Called the GameStop in my hometown. The rep checked the system then the drawer. She confirmed they have several used. She checked the system again then the new game drawer. They have six new.
  • Confirmed they price match online prices.
  • Drove to that GameStop a couple days later, traded in my Switch Pro Controller, and bought New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe new for the online sale price. The rep was very nice in person as well.

Ultimately, a happy ending. One for three with GameStop reps is not an encouraging sign for the company. This is pretty much why I rarely go there. I have more bad experiences than good.

For the record, as frustrating as that was, I kept my cool. I've worked retail before so I'm never rude to staff anywhere. Still, as a former retail worker, I cannot for the life of me wrap my brain around doing this to someone. What was accomplished other than just being a dick to someone for no reason? Just say you don't have it, bro.

I don't remember the last time I traded anything in. If you're wondering what the reason was, I pre-ordered this new Switch Controller strictly for the Hall Effect Sensing Joystick which will never drift. The Pro Controller I traded in didn't drift, but it was the one I bought at launch so it was only a matter of time.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: October 01, 2022, 09:39:13 PM »
Sales culture in the United States is a fucking problem. Every job and company has taken it to such levels that it is highly uncomfortable, and causes an aversion reaction.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: October 02, 2022, 11:17:55 AM »
I don't even remember making this thread.

I don't remember the last time I traded anything in. If you're wondering what the reason was, I pre-ordered this new Switch Controller strictly for the Hall Effect Sensing Joystick which will never drift. The Pro Controller I traded in didn't drift, but it was the one I bought at launch so it was only a matter of time.
Interesting. I'm curious how well this will end up working out and if it might introduce new problems. I s'pose it might be a couple of years before we start seeing.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #747 on: October 18, 2022, 03:12:27 AM »
I don't even remember making this thread.

Well you did make it a decade ago.

Still it is a good topic because Gamestop is usually in the news for good or ill.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.