Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537725 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #6050 on: January 12, 2019, 02:59:38 AM »
Aquaman - Some of the best action scenes ever at the beginning of the movie, followed by cliche Quest to be the Chosen  One stuff, followed by a jizzing of undersea battle cgi.

I give it an 8. I enjoy all that ****.

Quoting BlackNMild2k1
"After Aquaman references Pinocchio and they do the in the whale mouth scene, 10 minutes later, Mera is a fountain enteraining some kid with a water show, the kid runs to her parents to get their attention, and then for seemingly no reason whatsoever, she comes back to Mera and hands her the book for Pinocchio, which she then reads and a jab a millenials joke takes place"

Yes! That must be what I missed when I went to the bathroom. Good. My friend went to the bathroom at an earlier non important moment(When patrick wilson is talking to a storm trooper power rangers style). When Mera started eating flowers i knew I had a chance. I was pretty sure they'd get attacked shortly after they got to Sicily. But I knew I was about to hit a goofy moment. Timed it just right.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:08:45 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6051 on: January 12, 2019, 12:51:58 PM »
FYI the millenials joke was "oh that was based on a book!? I've only seen the movie..."[/paraphrasing]

Hopefully the sequel is better, same with Wonder Woman.
They were both enjoyable movies, so I hope the DCEU continues to recover, and hopefully they can use this success to spend time developing characters other than Batman and Superman, and also create some fun, enjoyable and profitable movies going forward.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6052 on: January 13, 2019, 12:20:00 AM »
Well spring boarding off of Aquaman and Wonder Women all they have to really do is their homework and make standalone movies.

The Snyder movies were bogged down in useless exposition that would better fit in a Standalone movie. Part of the reason the Marvel Movies work so well is there was exposition initially. The exposition was the individual movies.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6053 on: January 13, 2019, 11:25:38 AM »
I saw Aquaman yesterday.  It was surprisingly good.  I still haven't seen Justice League, so this was my intro to the DCEU version of him.  I felt like it was filled almost to the brim with cheesy movie tropes.  But almost all of them were great.  I kinda liked that Arthur had some knowledge about Atlantis, but not like a whole bunch.  Also, the money shot at the end with him jumping out of the water in full costume was just the best.  So dumb, but also the best.

7.5/10

I also saw Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse.  This movie was amazing.  I loved almost everything about it.  Anime Spider-Girl was hilarious.  Everything Spider-Man Noir said was hilarious to me.  I also loved the scene where all the Spider-People turn into a big support group.  I thought it was great that the movie let the impact of the tragedy scene linger for a while instead of just moving on.  I feel like a lot of movies do that.  Spider-Man is a pretty tragic character, and I'm glad the movie really played that up.  I was worried Spider-Pig would be annoying, but he was in it just enough to be funny.  I was also fairly surprised by the one scientist lady turning out to be that universe's Doctor Octopus.  That felt pretty surprising. 

9.5/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6054 on: January 14, 2019, 01:00:07 AM »
Hold The Dark Netflix puts out a decent little movie once in a while. A very dark and ambiguous thriller, that zigs when you expect it to zag. If you liked True Detective, if you like the screenplays of Taylor Sheridan, you should check it out

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6055 on: January 20, 2019, 09:20:41 PM »
Vice

This one wasn't quite as funny as I thought it would be.  Still pretty funny at times with a lot of things I never knew.  So many WTF moments.  Overall, I think it could've been better put together?  I dunno.  Definitely worth seeing.  Christian Bale nails it nearly as hard as the makeup artist.

7.5/10

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6056 on: February 02, 2019, 12:21:41 PM »
Wat
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6057 on: February 02, 2019, 12:32:03 PM »
Can't tell if the bots are getting better or worse. At least it tried to make a movie review in the movie review thread.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6058 on: February 10, 2019, 06:16:27 PM »
Dragon Ball Super: Broly

The story was pretty good, but the shifts in animation were jarring at times.  There's a few action sequences that looked like they were animated in the same engine as Dragon Ball FighterZ.  Don't get me wrong, that game looks great and the animation looked great.  It's just that the shift from the 2D animation was not at all subtle and incredibly sudden.  But anyway, the story made way more sense than the DBZ version, and I'm glad this one is the canonical one.  Basically, instead of some dude luring Vegeta to a planet to fight his son who hates Goku for the most contrived reason possible, Broly was exiled and raised on a hostile planet by his dad, eventually they get rescued by two people helping rebuild Freeza's army, which brings them to earth to fight Goku and Vegeta. 

There's a lot of backstory, which is cool because you get to see a lot of the Saiyans before their planet blows up, including their relationship with King Cold and Freeza.  They also show chibi-Vegeta and Raditz, and Vegeta mentions having a brother somewhere.  You get to see Goku's dad and mom, for a nice treat that has all the flavors of a Superman backstory.  The story is actually pretty Freeza heavy, which might be a spoiler if you haven't been following DBS.

There's really only one long action sequence, but other than the weird animation shifts, it's pretty good.  I think they did a good job of having Broly keep up with Vegeta and Goku rather than them just being outclassed from the beginning. One weird thing that happens is the fighters are just suddenly in another dimension for some reason and how they got there/get out isn't explained.  It honestly just felt like a way to save animation costs.

There's also some comedy thrown in there.

7/10

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6059 on: February 12, 2019, 01:44:34 AM »
The Upside This was a nice little pleasant drama. Kevin Hart shows some acting chops and Bryan Cranston is good as usual. The worst part were the half dozen trailers before the movie. Watching mostly action and super hero movies at the theater, I didn't realize they made so many uplifiting, feel-good, hallmark channel style dramas.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6060 on: March 08, 2019, 01:29:22 AM »
Captain Marvel - 8.5/10
Great movie. Really great. The thing is...it probably won't be the most re-watchable origin story. The smear campaign against Brie Larson and this movie really makes me sick and disgusted with humanity...and trolls are already at it with fake reviews. Well, the bullshit isn't working, because the IMAX theater I just left was packed, and everyone had a good time. This was also the first time I've been to an MCU movie where *no one* left when the credits started, and every single person stayed for both post-credits scenes. Lots of humor, lots of dialog, a few good twists as well. One of the fight scenes is actually a little too close-up, not quite Batman Begins-level, but pretty close, and it makes it hard to tell what's actually happening. If you're on the fence, see it. If you're set against this movie because of some made up bullshit you read online, you're a moron. The movie has no agenda other than building a new character up and fleshing out Phase 4 of the MCU.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6061 on: March 08, 2019, 01:58:33 AM »
You do realise the troll narrative is always BS right? You're conflating a fraction of a fraction of a percent of people who are **** heads with the internet in general and Disney's wonky marketing. Brie said something dumb, people called her out, she doubled down souring the marketing, that's it. Everybody sane were wait and see.

The Rogue jokes are pretty funny though and Anna Paquine is still good to go.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6062 on: March 08, 2019, 02:52:11 AM »
what did she say thats got everyone riled up?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: March 08, 2019, 08:14:59 AM »
She didn't even say anything dumb. During the A Wrinkle in Time press tour she said something about "I don't care what a 40 year old white dude thought about this movie, it wasn't made for you." And while getting interviewed for Captain Marvel, by, I believe, a physically handicapped black woman, she said it was a breath of fresh air and though there should be more diversity in interviewers (including people with disability). Incels and racists jumped on it, lied about what she said, trolls and more incels and racists spread the word (the fake word, with tons saying "I'm a white male, she doesn't want me to see this movie"). It's pathetic.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: March 08, 2019, 11:09:20 AM »
For further proof of the MASSIVE troll campaign and reasons to lose faith in humanity: the fake review bomb on Rotten Tomatoes. It had 58,000 "audience score" reviews within hours of it's release, meanwhile Infinity War has only 52,000 votes after nearly an entire year.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: March 08, 2019, 12:43:58 PM »
Captain Marvel was good. I'd give it a 7.5 or an 8. Some complained it was 'average', but after all of the heavy stuff going down in Infinity War and all the build up those films had, I like how it went back to a more traditional origin story. Sure it had a few problems, like the fights felt weak and she didn't have enough people to directly fight, but it was still a good time.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6066 on: March 08, 2019, 01:49:14 PM »
She didn't even say anything dumb. During the A Wrinkle in Time press tour she said something about "I don't care what a 40 year old white dude thought about this movie, it wasn't made for you." And while getting interviewed for Captain Marvel, by, I believe, a physically handicapped black woman, she said it was a breath of fresh air and though there should be more diversity in interviewers (including people with disability). Incels and racists jumped on it, lied about what she said, trolls and more incels and racists spread the word (the fake word, with tons saying "I'm a white male, she doesn't want me to see this movie"). It's pathetic.

She also said she was specifically going out of her way to request interviews from non-white male journalist, and requested the interviewer you mentioned specifically.  I think those actions really set off that particular group.

I also wouldn't down play the size of this group.  If you see 50K fake reviews, it likely isn't 50K people that feel that way, just 50K people who think like that, care about comic book movies, and were organized in that particular effort.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: March 08, 2019, 03:46:30 PM »
Or ten guys with too much time on their hands.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6068 on: March 08, 2019, 08:05:31 PM »
A site I like visiting every once in a while is https://www.blu-ray.com/ , as it's a good place for news on a lot of releases that slip through the cracks, but one of the things I've taken to recently is this little bargain round-up they have at the top of the page that displays Blu-Ray sales across the internet, mostly on Amazon. And it was there that I saw a recent BluRay on sale for a film I haven't seen in several decades (and didn't know it WAS on BluRay): The Prince of Egypt.

It was on sale for $7 and I remembered liking it, so I picked it up and now I've watched it. Yeah, this film holds up damn well, and it's probably my favorite Dreamworks film...though this BluRay is just about as half-assed as you can imagine. The video transfer is abysmal, apparently drawn from a late-90s DVD rather than the apparently-amazing 4K restoration unveiled last year at a major film festival. The video is extremely grainy, and the audio is pretty muffled, which is particularly an issue for a musical.

Disappointment with the video quality aside (though there is a pretty decent selection of legacy bonus features), I still quite like this movie. The music is excellent, even if the way the film leads into the songs is pretty blunt-force trauma. The animation wavers from "eh" to "pretty good", with the worst offender being the CG Dreamworks used for some of the more difficult shots. There is an amazing sequence where Moses dreams about the slaughter of the Hebrew children in the form of moving Egyptian Paintings reminiscent of Link Between Worlds's wall sequences.  And, of course, the standout moment is the parting of the Red Sea, which is still a pretty damn impressive sequence even if the water sometimes looks like the T-1000 should be rising up from it.

As for the story, this is probably the best way you could adapt the Moses story, focusing on the bond between the brothers and the way their respective duties pull them apart. There's a surprisingly amount of quiet time in the film to just let moments hang and characters breath and contemplate. You don't really see that in animated films anymore. There's also actually an impressive amount of bite to this movie as well considering when it was made, as you see a fair amount of cruelty, violence, disease, and eventually child murder more or less on-screen (though the latter is handled very delicately).

Yeah, glad I saw it again.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:07:41 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: March 08, 2019, 11:12:00 PM »
For further proof of the MASSIVE troll campaign and reasons to lose faith in humanity: the fake review bomb on Rotten Tomatoes. It had 58,000 "audience score" reviews within hours of it's release, meanwhile Infinity War has only 52,000 votes after nearly an entire year.

Every time the audience/players doesn't like something people call it review bombing as an excuse. It's so tired to the point it's lost all meaning as has Rotten Tomato which algorithm has always been an issue.

You are far, far better served by metacritic which is a lot more transparent about where the numbers come from and what it breaks down to. It doesn't count a 'meh' review as a 'positive', it stays a meh.

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/captain-marvel

What Brie said was dumb no matter what colour, age or sex of people you are referring to especially when it came out of no where and comes of like a rant. If you watch the video it's a bit cringe. She committed a cardinal sin of business, 'Don't drive away customers'. There was also her tasteless self promotional twit regarding Stan's death. When you're on a press junket you stay professional and keep your views to more personal channels/Oscars.

What she could/should have said was' I would like to give more opportunities to give a wider range of interviewers and critics to examine movies from more angles. I believe seeking a wider range of views is important to grow as an actor and personally'. A big part of PR is how you say it. Unlike a political campaign you don't go negative, if you want to promote equal opportunities you promote 'Equal Opportunities'.

But it has generated a lot of good laughs. This is a good one came up on the Agony Booth hit/bomb.

Rick: Shazam! Okay, honestly, I get the controversy. Brie Larson is a bizarre casting choice for a 12-year-old boy to turn into when he screams a magic word. I mean, I’m all for transgender rights and equality and stuff, but I’m just really uncomfortable looking at her in that sparkly spandex and knowing that’s really a tween kid in there. It makes this erection really awkward, you know? Wouldn’t that dude from Chuck have been a much better choice? Still, I’d HIT it.

Or ten guys with too much time on their hands.
Russian Bots - Rian Johnson.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: March 09, 2019, 12:19:42 AM »
To me, Rotten Tomatoes lost all credibility whatsoever when they removed the ability for people to comment on their hype for a movie pre-release just because oh-so-precious Captain Marvel was getting hammered. I'm not sure whether it was overly-triggered people or the corporate dollar of Disney that made that sudden policy change possible, but it sure was convenient for both of them.

Then they also removed actual audience reviews from the site so the audience score could go from 31% to 34%. I wonder how many more they'll remove until they can get that score to a state Disney approves.

It just reminds me of the comments coming out of Youtube about them possibly removing the dislike button from videos because Ghostbusters 2016 & Captain Marvel got hit hard. The people doing it could have the best of intentions, but it looks shady as hell and counter to the intended purpose of the site.

Edit: And now the audience score for Captain Marvel is at 51%, so I guess that answers my question.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 12:21:44 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6071 on: March 09, 2019, 06:54:27 AM »
I don't think audience scores give any credibility at all. There is no way to prove that you saw the movie - this is why online polls are never taken seriously. It absolutely 100% is review bombing. When people with an agenda put negative reviews out for a movie they didn't see and will never see, that is review bombing.
Cinemascore is out, and it's an A. That doesn't mean everyone will like it or love it, but there is no question that there is a massive campaign against this movie.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 10:16:45 AM by BranDonk Kong »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: March 09, 2019, 10:18:39 AM »
Err, how do you explain reviews from legit websites like say, umm, the BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47463483

6/10. Review bombing right?

Or critics going meh. A small excerpt quoted.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47467921

Captain Marvel is an "entertaining" and "robust" superhero movie but is not the game-changer Black Panther and Wonder Woman were, according to critics.

The film, the first from Marvel to have a stand-alone female lead, stars Oscar-winner Brie Larson as an intergalactic warrior with untapped super powers.

According to the Telegraph, the Room actress gives a "terrific" performance that is "big on girl-boss attitude".

Yet other reviewers are less impressed, calling the film "perfunctory".

"The picture is not dull, exactly, just mundane," writes Todd McCarthy from The Hollywood Reporter.

In a review headed with the words "It's no Black Panther", he accuses Captain Marvel of "unimaginative plotting, cut-rate villains [and] a bland visual style."

Screen Daily's Tim Grierson expresses similar reservations, calling the film "fun and breezy but also a tad familiar" and its action sequences "sturdy but unspectacular".

Have you seen the opposite where a game gets positive review "Bombed" with legit criticism, good things to say about it and be a protest? Decent game but **** the Epic store and the rug pulling BS is the sentiment.

Here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/412020/Metro_Exodus/

I always find audience reviews far more useful and accurate simply due to massive sample size. They are also a lot more honest in the text with their criticism good or bad nor are they beholden to anything. People vote zero or ten because they want their vote to have the greatest statistical pull. With the large sample size the so called positive or negative bombing noise is suppressed.

Here is an entertaining and endlessly relevant look into the simple statistics related to movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWROBiX1eSc

If the audience has gone negative something is wrong with your show inside or out. Blaming the customer always makes it worse especially if they are right. If they are wrong you stay quiet and don't rub it in, they will come around on their own when the dust clears. Maybe it's more of a cult classic.

It use to be in Hollywood you made a bad movie you apologise or faced up to it or stay quiet, take the hit and meme after which everybody moves on. Now few will take responsibility for screwing up, more often than not blaming the audience. Covering in up for the screw up tends to be worse than the initial mistake.

Massive Respects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6epsGrcuTs

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6073 on: March 09, 2019, 12:07:13 PM »
No, 6/10 is a perfectly respectable score, but 0/10 is not. I'm specifically talking about fake review from people who did not watch the movie. Another example is the IGN review had a 4:1 dislike ratio, for a review that came out 3 days before the movie was released. Sure lots of these movies have fake reviews in favor and against, but this is a whole new level. The evidence is overwhelming. Cinemascore is based on actual audience scores, at the movie theater. Sure you can say it was better than you really thought, but you can't lie and review something you didn't watch. This whole smear campaign started with the "she should smile more" horse **** and just continued and got worse from there.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 01:59:15 PM by BranDonk Kong »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: March 09, 2019, 03:17:04 PM »
Captain Marvel - The movie had some issues in that for such a powerful character she seemed to lack punch or power in her fights at times. The music was dialled down and the sound effects was very muted with several scenes with plenty of gaps and pauses. I don't think Brie Larson has quite found the character yet, so i'm looking forward to seeing how it evolves in later movies.

However, it is definitely a good palate cleanser between Infinity War and Endgame to slow the pace down and try something different.