Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537901 times)

Online ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #6100 on: March 18, 2019, 10:12:41 PM »
I think people hate on Chappie too much. Though it probably has to do with whether or not your can stomach Die Antwoord.

Really Chappie and Encino Man are the same movie. What happens when you take a blank slate and teach it all the wrong things?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6101 on: March 19, 2019, 06:38:48 AM »
Part of it was definitely Die Antwoord. I don't know why he thought casting them was a good idea. All the movies have a pretty significant accents which I definitely appreciate but that strong on top of speaking like Chavs with questionable acting ability is a viewer lethal combination. That said Neil's staple of criminals wouldn't work as they are irredeemable and lethally competent psychos who would give no shits.

All of the usual technical talent is there, the Indian(?) otoh was pretty good although for this movie it might have been relative. It should have being a workable film, but it is just so messy, Jackman is crazy mother fucker but didn't add much other than a boss fight. The religious angle distracted from an already good character reason of him being Jelly and his product not working/passed over.

Sharlto Copley is easily one of the best actors we have, please fucking give him more work. He sells Wikus brilliantly. He for a while convinced me that he was doing a good thing, he seemed to care but it was completely utilitarian as it would reduce bodily harm and hides his repulsive actions behind paperwork. In some ways he might be ignorant or actually believe he is doing good through the documentary part and his little interactions with his family. His ganders more sympathy at the end by not screaming he isn't racist like a lazy movie would do but acts on his change of heart and even then there is a struggle.

Wikus is an amazingly written, deep, complex and performed character that in large part made D9 near perfect matched by Neil's technical ability to create a living world. Elysium does this well, the world is convincing. Max should have worked but Matt Damon falls short especially with the supporting cast being so much better than him. Elysium with a couple tweaks could have been a near D9 masterpiece but that missing half really hurts it.

Chappie is missing both and it dies. Neil's technical ability is still on display and is essential but his good shows was not just that.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Online ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6102 on: March 20, 2019, 07:56:42 PM »
What would happen if Chappie got dropped off in the neighborhood from Gummo?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6103 on: March 21, 2019, 10:55:39 AM »
A lot more "Sleeping" would happen with a massive amount of "N" I would imagine.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6104 on: March 23, 2019, 09:54:26 PM »
Us - 8/10
This turned out pretty different than what I would have thought just based on the trailers. Can't say if that means better or worse... definitely makes you think for a while, though I had figured out one of the biggest parts basically when it started. But even knowing that still doesn't exactly ruin it...it's pretty weird though. There are a lot of things what will click after some time but that doesn't necessarily mean it really answers anything in a satisfactory manner. Since it will be obligatory to compare it to Get Out, I will say Get Out was a better movie in my opinion...well, maybe not better, but more complete. Maybe that's the point of Us though.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6105 on: March 24, 2019, 12:22:16 AM »
Shazam

I went to a special screening (via Fandango) today.  It was pretty cool being able to see the movie two weeks early.  What wasn't as cool was the movie itself.

The movie is mostly a comedy, with only so much action, and the action isn't really that good.  I think the main problem is that it's a kid's movie.  The plot is very straightforward and overly simple.  The villain is established before the title screen and is the villain throughout.  The majority of the plot is based on Billy figuring out his powers.  And here's one of my biggest issues with the movie: his powers. Shazam's whole shtick is that he has the wisdom, strength, stamina, might, courage, and speed.  However, the entire plot revolves around him being a 14 year old kid and behaving like one while Shazam.  This includes not knowing how his powers work, giving bad advice, misusing his powers, being very scared and running from the villain multiple times.  Eventually, Billy figures his **** out and comes up with a "clever" way to save the day.

Ultimately, it was pretty funny, and I was entertained. If this was DC's "Ant-Man", they totally overshot it.  Subprime action, no suspense, and I wasn't invested in the characters at all.  The emotional beats almost all fell completely flat.  But I got a good couple of LOLs.

5.5/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: March 24, 2019, 12:41:47 AM »
That's disappointing. No reason a low action hero movie couldn't work. Of course this would be a bit more difficult on the writers since they can't throw in plot points to make up for time and punt the work.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6107 on: March 24, 2019, 12:51:21 AM »
I might be kinda harsh on the movie because I was frustrated with the character. The kids are pretty cute and the movie has some heart warming touches to it.  I'd be willing to bump it to a 6.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: March 26, 2019, 03:04:09 PM »
Saw Alita: Battle Angel recently, only my first movie of the year.
To be honest my expectations for this were on the low side, which may have helped my enjoyment because overall I found it quite a surprising delight?

The movie certainly has MANY problems: Alita's central struggle hinges entirely on dime-a-dozen amnesiac destined hero characterisation which feels old and tropey. The central romance just flat-out doesn't really work, because the guy is just the wettest pancake on screen since the bad boy love interest from the Lizzie McGuire Movie. It doesn't help that Alita herself looks a lot older than he does because of the extensive motion-capture changes to her facial structure (and also she's a killer cyborg while he... rides on a bike...). In general I'm not confident anyone of the writing staff really gets teenage girls; trying to signal independence by making her essentially play rollerderby is such a trope. Maybe it's a holdover from the source material...?

Structurally the movie is also very overstuffed, coming in at least 30 minutes too long. It has at least 4 different endings all stacked back-to-back, ranging from resolution, to late-game twists, to the birth of entirely new motivations, to revelations about the past casting everything in new light.

With those negatives out of the way though... The CGI is incredible in this film. Alita looks equally uncanny valley and human enough, with exaggerated facial expressions. She's an animated cartoon come to life. The fight scenes are really energetic, creative, and surprisingly violent. They're real highlights, much more stylish  than many of the average Marvel punch-ups.
I found the character of Alita immediately likable, she's worth rooting for. Additionally, the world design is right up my alley. Sitting somewhere between the trash planet from Thor: Ragnarok, Firefly and maybe Beyond Good & Evil it's basically laser-focused to my tastes.

Ultimately I think this movie isn't really aiming for adults, with the rather generic story and largely absent villain. But I think kids of say ages 10-15 would really dig it. The tone kind of lands in that Speed Racer and Spy Kids zone, or maybe something like an earlier X-Men movie. I wish they went a bit further with the whole human-in-machine body angle, because it has all kinds of interesting transhumanist implications. But ultimately the movie isn't trying to be Ghost in the Shell or Blade Runner, it's trying to tell a gorgeous action story for teen audiences.
I'm not very well-versed in manga/anime but this at least feels like a great adaptation.

Recommended if you want a colourful, uncomplicated popcorn action movie. It skews a bit younger than the average Marvel fare, but I think there's a lot of overlapping appeal there. Definitely got me excited to try Captain Marvel next. I hope Alita gets a sequel, it feels fresh with rich worldbuilding and there's a lot of potential for depth.

Online ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6109 on: March 27, 2019, 08:35:24 PM »
Us 7/10 (Just watched it score)
It was too predictable, but at the same time all over the place. It didn't seem to have as much of a central thesis like Get Out. That sort of happens on Sophomore movies though.

Really amazing cinematography.

Maybe if the main character had watched something other than Goonies the movie would turn out different. Her parents should have let her watch C.H.UD.  Also, If you're tethered to the coffee table just pick up the coffee table.

Still, Jordan Peele is a Kubrik level director. We haven't gotten to his Shining or Barry Lyndon yet.

Us 8/10 (3 hour later score)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:24:46 PM by ThePerm »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: March 27, 2019, 09:09:42 PM »
Finally saw Aquaman,

Meh.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: March 30, 2019, 11:43:16 AM »
The Dirt - wow/10
Hugely entertaining movie. I was never a huge Mötley Crüe fan or anything, though I do like a handful of their songs, but man, this was pretty great. Very funny, very sad. Lots of drug use, sex, and pure craziness. Machine Gun Kelly (I mean, I'm, Colson Baker) is like the number one actor on Netflix these days.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: April 01, 2019, 06:24:13 PM »
Finally got around to seeing LEGO Movie 2: The 2nd Part over the weekend, and...*sigh*...I really didn't like this movie, and it took me a long time to figure out exactly why because the 1st movie is one of my all-time favorite films.  All I kept coming back to is that it reminded me of watching Muppets: Most Wanted after watching the previous "The Muppets" quasi-reboot film. On paper, the film is quite solid, but something about it just slowly pissed me off.

After thinking that over for a while, it struck me: just like that film, LEGO Movie 2 trades in sentimentality, subtlety, & wit for cynicism and irony. It's not enough to have a character make a funny side-joke or clever metaphor in the midst of a sequence: the movie has to scream it at the audience and then hit them over the head to make sure they understand. The script feels incredibly heavy-handed; obvious; and spastic, and the performances feel like the characters spend half the movie rolling their eyes and the other half perpetually winking at the audience. Meta humor can be amusing in small doses, but too much of it just gets obnoxious. It also feels like Wild Style/Lucy is the only character that actually matters in this film, as none of the other characters really have anything to do.

It's not enough to have an incredibly catchy song like "Everything is Awesome" now. They had to go and craft a new song CALLED "Catchy Song" whose lyrics endlessly repeat how you'll never get the song out of your head. Amusingly, I actually thought the "villain song" "Not Evil" was way catchier and clever. The LEGO movies are starting to repeat jokes now from earlier movies for severely less return, such as devoting an entire song to in-jokes about past Batman performances that would be a lot funnier it it hadn't been done before and done better in LEGO Batman.

Honestly, I'm not sure how you make a good sequel to the LEGO Movie. The first film was fundamentally perfect, both as a mission statement on LEGO in general as well as the metaphor about a father and son coming to understand each other. This is also the 3rd LEGO film since the original LEGO Movie, so the animation style doesn't really impress anymore.  I guess I expected better than for them to make a LEGO movie that feels like Toy Story by way of Teen Titans Go.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 12:17:37 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: April 05, 2019, 12:59:13 AM »
Quick review.....

first of all SHAZAM was a ton of fun. Deserves all it's about to get... and hopefully it gets it quickly, as Endgame is coming.
My daughter was running through ranges of emotion during this one. Excited, Scared, Hysterical Laughter, Clapping, gasping, crying, and then cycle through it again.
DC has finally found it's stride. the first few movies were a real misstep.

Wonder Woman was a course correction. Aquaman was entertaining, and Shazam rounded all the bases.

the end scene was tons of fun.
the mid credit scene referenced something I know nothing about. Whoever watches it next, please tell me what that was all about
Mid Credit *SPOILER* Chubby Caterpillar with a talking box... talking about how to get magic...
and then there is a post credit scene.... I swear I've seen it in the previews though.
End Credit *SPOILER*talking through a fishbowl, jokes about how stupid talking to fish powers would be, kid is wearing Aquaman shirt

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6114 on: April 05, 2019, 12:49:57 PM »
They added the entire end credit scene to the TV spots lately.

As for your other question: It's a villain named Mister Mind.  He forms a super villain group in the comics.  Pretty big Shazam villain.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: April 07, 2019, 06:55:23 AM »
Justice League Vs The Fatal 5

It's pretty good, goes back to the 90's DCAU visuals as well as continuity. It matched the humour, vibe, characterisations, pretty much everything you expect from a mainline DCAU show. A good return to form.

Batman: He did have a strong reaction to your little scuffle, Clark.
Superman: Yes, it's healing slowly, and I'm in a fair amount of pain. Thanks for asking.

The Superman motif still gives me '**** yeah!'.

There is an interesting parallel or two that can be drawn to Endgame. Whether it was intentional or not it gave me a smirk.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: April 07, 2019, 04:31:21 PM »
Justice League Vs The Fatal 5

It's pretty good, goes back to the 90's DCAU visuals as well as continuity. It matched the humour, vibe, characterisations, pretty much everything you expect from a mainline DCAU show. A good return to form.

OK, now I'm interested. I've been ignoring the DC animated movies outside of Constantine and his related stuff since they have just sucked since the New 52-era kicked in, all edgelord tone and constant anger. But if this going back to the tone of the pre-New 52 films, I'll check it out.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6117 on: April 07, 2019, 05:12:15 PM »
It's pretty much feature length JL:Unlimited which is good.

The other animated continuity is... ok. The tone is angry but no Znydar. Supes and Batman are seemingly constantly pissed off at each other making nearly no progress or reason. Wonder Women was very aloof and was very dismissive of males which I was fine with as it wasn't unusual(DCAU WW has it as part of her story arc) and fit her back story but again, no progress which made it a problem.

I assume this is the new 52 thing you are talking about.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: April 07, 2019, 10:03:15 PM »
It's pretty much feature length JL:Unlimited which is good.

The other animated continuity is... ok. The tone is angry but no Znydar. Supes and Batman are seemingly constantly pissed off at each other making nearly no progress or reason. Wonder Women was very aloof and was very dismissive of males which I was fine with as it wasn't unusual(DCAU WW has it as part of her story arc) and fit her back story but again, no progress which made it a problem.

I assume this is the new 52 thing you are talking about.

It's a tonal shift in the movies that started with "Justice League: WAR!" where you saw the characters just randomly angry and stupid all the time. It's also where you saw a lot of character redesigns to coincide with what was going on in comics at the time: the "New 52" continuity reboot caused by Flashpoint (which gave us the excellent Flashpoint Paradox movie). Yeah, Wonder Woman became a man-hater rather than the spirit of compassion and truth, Hal Jordan became an idiot, and just about everyone became an asshole.

I loathed when that happened in the movies. It was bad enough what I was hearing of the actual comics that were going on at the time, but to go from "inspired by JLU" to "mandated by the New 52" was a definite downgrade...even if I did really like Justice League: Dark & Constantine's movie.

Incidentally, the New 52 continuity got gutted a few years back in the comics because everyone hated it.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: April 07, 2019, 10:36:39 PM »
The 52 shows is absolutely a downgrade. It's visually cheap with the same number of frames that can buy. Everyone is either a dick, **** or asshole.

It doesn't help there are some absurd details like when Talia/LoS get assaulted by helicopters and machine guns while they fight back with swords with predicable results. The most absurd thing wasn't even that, it was Talia using a hand cranked Gatling dart launcher that manages to shoot down a helicopter and a dozen people. WHHHHYYYYY.

I am on the same page with the Constantine movies, quite enjoyable. Justice League Action is a lot of fun if you haven't watch it. It takes the piss quite nicely.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6120 on: April 08, 2019, 07:26:34 AM »
I really liked the Wonder Woman animated movie.  I think that was the first one to get a PG-13 rating.  But ever since that one they have been pushing the graphics too much, getting more and more violent and cursing with no real reason, and it doesn't always fit the characters.  This has really bothered me, because I loved the Justice League and Batman series as a kid, and really wanted to like this movies as something to share with my family.  But nope.  I feel like this one fits with something I could show my kids.  Sure it is more mature and darker, but it is balanced well.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: April 08, 2019, 06:05:42 PM »
I really liked the Wonder Woman animated movie.  I think that was the first one to get a PG-13 rating.  But ever since that one they have been pushing the graphics too much, getting more and more violent and cursing with no real reason, and it doesn't always fit the characters.  This has really bothered me, because I loved the Justice League and Batman series as a kid, and really wanted to like this movies as something to share with my family.  But nope.  I feel like this one fits with something I could show my kids.  Sure it is more mature and darker, but it is balanced well.

That's actually something I really don't like about the modern DC animated movies in general, at least the early ones: the creators were so desperate to get that PG-13 rating to show how "adult" the films were that they shoveled in a lot of gratuitous stuff that didn't actually matter just to get that rating. This straddling of the middle really bothered me with the early films since they kept pretending that they were actually going to go into some dark and graphic territory, but they never did.

To paraphrase My Fellow Americans, "Please, if you're going to use the f-word, go for the gold." That's why I really liked that Constantine movie from last year (and Batman: Under the Red Hood), because it paraded it was going to "go there" and then DID. Either have the guts to go dark and do it right, or stay around where Batman: TAS and JLU was comfortable going. Don't pull this "Oh, let's put a nipple or a few swear words in there so we can get a PG-13 rating!" Batman: TAS is one of the greatest TV shows of all time, and it was an all-audience show.

It's the reverse problem of modern horror PG-13 remakes of R-rated 80s films, where studios start with something already dark and graphic and water it all down into something tasteless. People appreciate edge-pushing, but no one likes something that's wishy-washy.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 06:14:04 PM by broodwars »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6122 on: April 08, 2019, 08:07:48 PM »
"Batman: TAS is one of the greatest TV shows of all time, and it was an all-audience show."

When people realize that you can have the definitive version of certain shows and ideas with a lower rating is when we get great media in all areas.  To know your art form and your audience is important.  I kinda wish Deadpool was rated PG-13.  But I also know that the movie perfectly understands its audience and what it needed to be.  Disney's Marvel movies know that PG-13 rating allows for them to show the comic book action to the biggest audience possible, and also stay true to the themes and ideas of the character and series.  Just like Logan being rated R was the best fit to explore who and what Wolverine really was, and that R rating wasn't for gratuitous violence...just violence needed for the movie.  It showed it, but did not glorify it. 

I think that is the problem with going for the rating first, is that you are showcasing the violence, not the story or character. 

Online ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: April 09, 2019, 02:43:38 AM »
Shazam 8/10 or 8.5/10

The movie was good. It reminded me of if Sam Raimi was still making good Spider-man movies. I'd say it is somewhere between Spider-man and Spider-man 2 in the good spot.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: April 09, 2019, 06:01:49 AM »
Aiming for PG13 is an very bad condition to inflict on yourself. Right out of the gate you have compromised your show that is irrelevant to the narrative or it's true nature.

Understand, focus on the natural audience, and they will repay you in kind. As awesome as TAS: DCAU is with wide appeal which is partially incidental, it's focus has always been on the comic crowd who made it a success, growing it for free. How many of us have recommended it to others even those who might only have passing interest only for them to become fans or have continued interest related to comics?

That continued focus is what continues to make it great, it's hasn't gone chasing some new audience or done a money grab or change for the sake of change.

The shows does a lot of flying under the radar whether it be philosophy, morality, sex and violence, seamlessly weaving it into the narrative. It doesn't bash you the head or be propaganda, it respects your intelligence. When I was a child I didn't pick up on any of this but as an adult seeing it makes me appreciate it even more for that depth, that show within a show. I get a feeling of surprise like I am watching a new show.