Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 755128 times)

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #2400 on: March 17, 2021, 07:39:49 PM »
I finally received the Limited Run atooi Collection for 3DS that was announced over a year ago. It includes the games, alternate cover art, soundtrack CDs, and a tabletop game of some sort.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: April 13, 2021, 01:26:46 AM »
Ask Iwata: Words of Wisdom from Satoru Iwata, Nintendo's Legendary CEO releases today. However, I received a weird email from Amazon stating:
Unfortunately, a problem occurred during shipping and we had to cancel your delivery. The package is being returned, and we will issue a refund within 3 - 5 business days after the return is processed. We’re very sorry for the inconvenience.
I still want the book so I logged onto Amazon and ordered it again so I’ll presumably get it on Thursday now. I’m baffled that Amazon, a website that started as an online bookstore, assumed I didn’t want a book I preordered months ago because of a supposed shipping problem and issued a refund instead of just delaying delivery by a few days.

I called Amazon to ask if there was a setting on their end they can click to just delay a delivery or an email they can send with a button I can click if I still want the book instead of automatically canceling the order entirely when there are these kinds of snafus. I tried really hard not to sound like I was complaining (with my work schedule and general procrastination, it isn’t as if I would have finished the book in a few days anyway) which I think the rep appreciated because she gave my a $5 credit on my account.

Moral of the story: Don’t be a dick to customer service reps.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: June 29, 2021, 10:21:13 PM »
Jane is still waiting on those movie recommendations Khush  ;)

Finally posted its spam and is gone!  ;D  8)
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: September 12, 2021, 05:23:22 PM »
I got the Trine Ultimate collection for $15 at Gamestop. I figured I'd probably just be getting Trine 4 but the code for the other 3 games wasn't redeemed for some reason so I have all four games on Switch.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: October 03, 2021, 05:36:59 PM »
Over the last few months, I picked up Trials of Mana (Switch) and No More Heroes III (Switch).

Digitally, I downloaded: IGA's Backpack DLC for Bloodstained Ritual of the Night (PS4), Blasphemous (Switch), Super Crush KO (Switch), and Axiom Verge (Switch).

I learned the hard way that my Axiom Verge save file for the physical version does NOT transfer to the digital download from the eShop because they have different publishers. I decided to get a headstart on transitioning to digital only on Nintendo consoles by downloading indie games since they're mostly smaller file sizes. Cave Story+ is now the only other one I have a physical copy of instead of a download. Once I see a sale under $10, I'll probably pick it up.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: October 04, 2021, 09:43:08 AM »
Recently heard about the Senna Forever DLC coming to Horizon Chase Turbo so gave the already available Summer Vibes a go.

The Outrun style car handles pretty nicely & the unlockable skins change the drivers too. Black car gives you my fav, the Miami Vice duo.

Mission...complete?

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: October 29, 2021, 07:23:34 PM »
Latest months felt like "old consoles refurbishing season".

I got encouraged with easy it turned out to "fix" some of my gaming hardware and got a bit carried away...

I've been doing repairs on my gaming hardware here and there before that but nothing more than simply replacing batteries on 3DS and Wii U gamepad. Original gamepad battery swole up so much it even bent the back cover. I think i got scammed a bit on gamepad battery because it claimed to be additional capacity but i doesn't really holds a charge past 1 hour. Ah well, i mostly use the Gamepad in bed anyway and at least it works now.

The drift on the left joy-con stick has gone so bad it started scrolling up-down in menus. The problem became impossible to ignore so i finally decided to fix it. I bought joy-con stick replacements a while ago, and now years later i finally did it. It was rather fussy with all tiny wires inside -- but all you need is a screwdriver which usually comes together with the stick replacement set and a steady hand.

Encouraged with these replacements, i started doing my own "repairs" on other gaming hardware i have. Ol' reliable white Wii U started making weird sounds so i bought a replacement fan for it and replaced it myself. Again -- only thing one really needs is a screwdriver and access to Youtube for some tutorials.

Xbox 360 became really noisy i was considering to replace fan on it but got discouraged watching videos on how to do it properly -- Microsoft really made these things like a puzzle box -- you need some kind of metal stripe to open them properly. Ultimately i just gave the thing to a local repairman and he fixed the noise by taking it apart and oiling it AND he fixed the drift stick on the controller too.

Rubber piece on 3DS nub came off while i was playing Luigi Mansion 2, all these tugging motions really wore it down. Plastic nub under it fell apart too. I could still use the stub but it became even more uncomfortable than beofre. Bought the replacement, and put it in myself. Replacement nub is a tad smaller than the original one but it works okay.

Yay! That's Wii U, 360, and 3DS now brought back!

Next was Nintendo DS Lite. Usual problems -- shoulder triggers stopped working. Watching Youtube videos showed it should be easy enough to fix if a bit more invasive: i had to open up the microswitch under the triggers, take out a tiny metal disc inside it and clean it from rust (of whatever it is that collects on contacts). It was a bit more fussy and scary than usual but i still managed. The problem was when i put it back together i mixed up screws and pierced the plastic near the d-pad and i broke the plastic thing that connects to power switch on the right. Screw thing isn't really a problem but power switch is a huge bummer. I can still turn DS Lite on if use a pin or needle but it is such a hassle. Also d-pad buttons became unresponsive too.

I ordered a replacement for the power switch and will look into ways how to find a guy who can soldier it in or find ways to do it myself -- and clean d-pad contacts while at it.

At least this whole ordeal inspired me to use some of these consoles more and i actually finished some of the games there -- namely Samus Returns on 3DS and Super Metroid on Wii U VC.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2407 on: November 02, 2021, 06:05:03 AM »
My most recent gaming purchase was on the 1st and I got Sonic Mania for the Switch on sale of 19.99 at my local Super Target.  Have'nt played it yet but I was excited for all the reviews at launch and the extra content.

Before that I got a Physical form of NBA 2K22 just before the NBA season started. 

I like the Lakers and just tinkering with different lineups  and how it is different from NB2K20.   

Now before you ask I rarely get VC for progression.   I have a system of having having two files of My League with both being the Lakers and one is current injuries and the other fully healthy.  Injury file I have the CPU play against itself for 3 quarters and depending on the circumstances I take control of the Lakers and play and control the rotations.  I get 1100 VC per game and I build that up to use on MyCareer file to get better.

For the healthy Lakers squad I play ahead of the games in the actual NBA schedule just to try and predict how the IRL Lakers team would preform in upcoming games.

Those are my recent game purchases.

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: November 08, 2021, 01:00:37 AM »
While walking around in the book store i found Russian translation of Volume 4 of Floran Gorge's "History of Nintendo", the one about Gameboy.

I already bought first 2 volumes in English and while content-wise they were great -- binding on those was super filmsy, it started to fall apart right in my hands as i was reading it.

This Russian edition already feels way more robust so there is that at least, but reading reviews i found complaints about bad translation? Whatever i just want the full set. Volume 3 was sold out in that store but i set up alerts if they restock it.

My "fixing old hardware" saga is finishing up -- local repairsman replaced power switch on my DS Lite and cleaned the contacts on d-pad. Not as thoroughly as i hoped -- i had to open the thing again and reclean contacts but being clumsy me bungled it again and kinda broke the wifi wire inside and R-shoulder button stopped working again. Messed around with it for most of the day but got R shoulder button working but i suspect DS Lite is living on borrowed time i guess i really need to finish some GBA and DS games on it.

Among those -- Metroid Fusion cart i bought way back. Apparently battery on it died so the game wasn't saving so i looked up how replace batteries on GBA cart and bought new coin battery and did it myself. The correct way would be to resoldier battery properly, but i just made do with a screwdriver and a scotch tape -- took me several retries mashing A through Metroid Fusion intro (these cutscenes are WAY too long!) to figure out the correct position of the battery -- but now it works.

I also bought Metroid Zero Mission on Wii U and Metroid Dread so now i am primed to play all games in the series.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2409 on: November 17, 2021, 10:48:58 AM »
On my two most recent Target runs I picked up Sonic Mania and Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition.  Both were $19.99 each.  Unopened at the moment but both have been on my Switch wishlist for a while.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: December 27, 2021, 03:44:23 AM »
I finally picked bought The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild DLC (Switch) because it was on sale. Let's see how long it takes me to restart the game.

I similarly bought Bloodstained Ritual of the Night (PS4) and Dragon's Crown Pro (PS4) because they were on sale.

In preparation for the Analogue Pocket, I also bought Epilogue's GB Operator, expected to ship by the end of January 2022. It comes with the mGBA emulator, but I don't need that. I wanted it mostly for the backup and restore save functionality. I'm planning on replace the batteries on ALL of my GB/GBC/GBA games, and I don't want to lose those saves.

Finally, I bought a spice GameCube and Game Boy Player, used but looked to be in good shape. I always wanted one in this color and I wanted to keep my North American black GameCube stock (besides replacing the soldered CMOS battery with a battery holder). I picked up a few mods, notably
  • GC Loader PNP with GC Loader SD mount which replaces the disc drive with an SD card reader. The mount covers the gaping hole from removing the disc drive. It's more for dust and aesthetic purposes.
  • SD2SP2 which plugs into the previously unused Serial Port 2 for game saves.
I may not need the last one, but it's cheap. Yes, I completely changed my mind on modding consoles. GameCube is one of my favorite consoles, and I'm a little nervous about the disc drive moving forward.

I also bought the Retro-Bit Prism HDMI Adapter for GameCube to make it easier to play on modern TVs. For interested parties, make sure you have the DOL-001 GameCube model that has the Digital AV Out port. I'm also considering the mClassic. Some say it works really well; others say it softens the picture too much. I recently let a sale pass as I want to see how the Retro-Bit Prism shakes out first before spending another $90.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 01:28:03 PM by Adrock »

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #2411 on: February 27, 2022, 02:03:10 PM »
I bought a bunch of games from the 3DS eShop because of the announcement of its impending closure. Most of these I have not played but they looked interesting and/or were recommended here in the forums:
  • SpeedX 3D Hyper Edition cheap, looked cool
  • Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D deep discount
  • 3D Streets of Rage 2 great 3D
  • 3D Gunstar Heroes great 3D
  • Liberation Maiden recommended here
  • Fun! Fun! Minigolf Touch! developed by Shin'en
  • Attack of the Friday Monsters! recommended here
  • Pirate Pop Plus cross-buy with Wii U (new 3DS only)
  • Jett Rocket II: The Wrath of Taikai developed by Shin'en
This took care of about half of my wish list. Still trying to decide on the rest.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: February 28, 2022, 11:30:18 PM »
That reminds me. I was going to post some images of games I'd bought around August - October last year. I guess now is as good a time as any.

Many years ago, I posted somewhere in this thread about some GameCube games I was still thinking about purchasing and adding to my collection. I finally got around to getting them. I suppose there'll always be some other games I'd be willing to consider getting. If the price was right for something like Ribbit King or Animaniacs, I'd possibly still be willing to add something like that to my collection. But, at this point, I feel I'm pretty much set now on the titles I own or would want to own for the Wii U and GameCube. Getting close to that on Wii now as well.

Collecting and completing your game library is just like a game you play in real life! Woo!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: March 01, 2022, 12:09:12 AM »
That's quite a haul for only a few months! But, why Superman 64? Like, why? WHY!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: March 01, 2022, 12:13:58 AM »
I imagine at least partially as a badge of honor for owning something that is universally panned like why people watch Tommy Wiseau’s “The Room”.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #2415 on: March 01, 2022, 04:22:48 PM »
The Simpson's Hit and Run is really good. Also, great to see you finally got Ring Fit. That is my primary indoor workout during these winter months.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: March 01, 2022, 05:45:08 PM »
That's quite a haul for only a few months! But, why Superman 64? Like, why? WHY!

I imagine at least partially as a badge of honor for owning something that is universally panned like why people watch Tommy Wiseau’s “The Room”.

Sort of. I mean, it's one of those things where I've heard so many jokes and talk about how terrible it is but I've never played it before and I want to see just what that experience is actually like. Plus, it will probably make the Superman GameCube game seem even better. It's like how you hear about how bad some movies are or a song is and you've just got to see and hear the trainwreck for yourself even if it isn't really all the worth it.

For instance, if someone says "this is absolutely the worst solo i have ever heard by any instrument", don't you want to hear it for yourself to see how bad it is? Plus, it's not like it was that expensive to get either. If I had to pay, like, 40 dollars or something for it then I'd probably pass. Although I'm sure the opinion is that no money at all is worth it and the seller should actually be paying me money to take it but I didn't take that route when bargaining.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: March 01, 2022, 09:15:27 PM »
As someone who owns and has played Superman 64, and for similar reasons no less, I understand where you're coming from. At the risk of disappointing you, I have to say, Superman 64 is actually not as terrible as I'd hoped; I think it's just a case of a mediocre game where people actually had some expectations for it since it's a beloved IP, and then things kind of snowballed from there. There are certainly worse games from the era, and earlier eras, and later ones, but no one really plays or cares about those.

You want the real worst game on N64? Hit up Carmageddon 64.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: March 02, 2022, 01:51:54 PM »
Really? I thought that was kinda fun when I played it at a friend's house as a kid. Or was there a PSX version that was better?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: March 02, 2022, 04:57:51 PM »
Burnout 2 on Gamecube is shockingly good. I believe Khush also prays at the altar of F-Zero GX right? I'm not saying this matches it, but it came closer in terms of the sense of speed than I figured a car game about crashing would.

Holds up really well still, too. But the music is bupkis. Mute & listen to podcasts/radio/better music instead.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: March 03, 2022, 12:14:59 PM »
Really? I thought that was kinda fun when I played it at a friend's house as a kid. Or was there a PSX version that was better?
I don't know what other versions of the game are like, though the original PC version of the game had a decent reception so maybe it's like that one. Then again, there were also some people who liked Superman 64, so... uh...

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: March 04, 2022, 12:24:55 PM »
Pokemon Legends: Arceus a few weeks back, think I'll play through it but don't find it to be the pinnacle of anything (as someone who only has a casual interest in Pokemon).

Kirby is next, and that demo made me puuumped.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #2422 on: June 23, 2022, 06:28:30 PM »
There is a decent e-Shop sale going on for Switch right now so I finally pick up The Touryst. I had been wanting this for a while so I cannot wait to play it.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: July 24, 2022, 11:42:19 AM »
I kinda ended up with several 8bitdo accessories.

First i bought their GBros -- their Gamecube/Pro Controller adapter for Switch/PC. I only used it several times to connect SNES Mini controllers on some SNES games on Switch, but then i stopped paying for Switch online.

Last year i bought their wireless controller Pro2 and it was such a disappointment, i like the feel of it, but it has a very bad lag and is unusable no matter how i set it up. Apparently it is a lottery and sometimes you just get defective ones like that. It was also a hassle to sync it through bluetooth each time i want to use it, because it was losing connection.

Also another reason i wanted this controller were buttons on the back but a) you need special mobile app to set them up, andi can't be bothered b) theses button are distracting when holding the controller and i end up pressing them randomly

I bought their wireless adapter too hoping it can fix the issues but it nope.

To justify the purchase at least somewhat i now connected that wireless adapter to GBros adapter and now i can play games with SNES controller on PC. I still have to resync this setup each time so it's not ideal but whatever. Playing AM2R with original SNES controller feels nice.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: September 05, 2022, 01:24:56 PM »
While walking around in the book store i found Russian translation of Volume 4 of Floran Gorge's "History of Nintendo", the one about Gameboy.

I already bought first 2 volumes in English and while content-wise they were great -- binding on those was super filmsy, it started to fall apart right in my hands as i was reading it.

This Russian edition already feels way more robust so there is that at least, but reading reviews i found complaints about bad translation? Whatever i just want the full set. Volume 3 was sold out in that store but i set up alerts if they restock it.

Update on these books: the translation is indeed wonky at places but the binding is a huge upgrade from previous Pix'n'Love editions. As far as i can tell, volume 3 and up weren't even translated to English so i guess these books were translated directly from French originals...

Volume 4 about Gameboy is especially fascinating, because apparently it was a very troublesome project that even got cancelled at some point.

Apparently volume 5 (about Gameboy Advance?) is on the way, so i am looking forward to that.