Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1193721 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #650 on: August 23, 2010, 11:54:17 PM »
Seriously, everyone, read the Enterprise relaunch novels. They fixed it so Trip didn't die, told the original story behind the Kobayashi Maru, and started the Romulan War. They've explained how a few things fit into continuity, and are actually attempting to explain in a semi-reasoned way why TOS era things look the way they do despite being from 100 years after Enterprise.

I honestly didn't know Enterprise was popular enough to get a "relaunch" series of novels.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: August 24, 2010, 12:01:23 AM »
Relaunch is the standard way to refer to Trek novels taking place after the series finale of one of the shows; they all have them. The great thing about the novels is that they don't even have to try to appeal to mainstream people; they know they're only going to sell to the fans, and because of that contain all kinds of great references only they'd get. These Enterprise novels, for instance, are full of offhand references to other series, like making Travis' family's cargo ship being the one that left the book "Chicago Mobs of the Twenties" on the planet from the TOS episode "A Piece of the Action."
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 24, 2010, 03:08:15 AM »
The Dominion arc was building up slowly from Season 2. Season 4 with the Klingons was due to Paramount insisting on breaking up the flow (which IMO benefitted the show). Trom "Sacrifice of Angels" and "Waltz" which set Sisko and Dukat as enemies did the show start its final march to the finale.

There is also the intriguing idea that Russel T. Davies wanted to do a Enterprise/Doctor Who crossover, but those plans were nixed due to Enterprise being canceled.

I wonder how this would work when it's almost been completely established that the TARDIS is a more powerful ship than anything Starfleet has: For instance the ship can be directed to a particular point in time/space by an "emergency control disk" (a DVD, proven in Blink), if a companion is left inside the ship alone for 5 hours it will automatically return them to their time (in Silence in the Library), breathable atmosphere can be extended outside the ship (in The Beast Below and The Time of Angels) and the TARDIS automatically translates languages telepathically so everyone speaks english (in The Christmas Invasion), and if it crashes and wrecks itself it can rebuild itself (The Eleventh Hour). I wouldn't see the point the two having a crossover really.

EDIT: Oops, i forgot to press send on this message last night..
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:07:42 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #653 on: August 24, 2010, 01:47:49 PM »
It would be cool to set a new Star Trek series one or two generations in the future (from TNG/DS9/Voyager's perspective) to see what the universe looks like now. What areas have been mapped, what technological advances have been made, etc.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: August 24, 2010, 04:11:37 PM »
Mad Men 8/10 very entertaining. Need to watch season 3 and 4.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #655 on: August 25, 2010, 02:35:20 PM »
Eureka - Season 3 - This is easily the best season of the show so far, as the writers tried to break out of the Eureka formula a bit with a couple interesting story arcs, not as much sexual pandering, and some needed character developments.  My only issue with it is that while the show was fairly-consistenty good (outside of a Recap episode and a few "sick" episodes, and I hate those), it rarely attempted to take that next step and be "great".  Incidentally, whatever happened to that Drycleaner lady that Carter was seeing for a while?  She was his girlfriend for several episodes, and then she was just...gone, replaced by Tess.  :confused;

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #656 on: August 25, 2010, 03:10:47 PM »
Funnily enough, my wife and I just stopped watching Season 2 because it was so terrible and don't intend to pick up Season 3. I've got Justice League Unlimited on the way now. If its predecessor was any indication, JLU will be awesome.

I'm still waiting on Bones season 5...it comes out in October, which is annoying. I've been itching for that show for a loooong time.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: August 25, 2010, 04:47:21 PM »
i always liked Bones, its like a forensic show where I actually like the detectives.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #658 on: August 25, 2010, 05:24:32 PM »
I watched a little Bones, maybe I got the wrong impression but it seems incredibly cliche and poorly-written... am I wrong?
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: August 25, 2010, 05:45:42 PM »
it is really cliché, but a good mix of cliché. Its pretty much your standard CSI show, just move on from there. No need to follow an ongoing serial plot. Something to watch when your bored. I like it better then CSI, only because Deshcanel and Boreanaz give off a Molder/Skully vibe. The Halloween episodes are always good.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 05:48:26 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #660 on: August 25, 2010, 06:37:06 PM »
That's exactly why I like it: Bones and Booth make a great banter-driven team. I'd try the show again, Grant, but rent the first season and start from the beginning.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: August 27, 2010, 02:08:45 PM »
Also, despite how crazy and loose the "science" on the show usually is, this was probably one of the better handled time travel scenarios I've seen on TV SciFi.  If for no other reason than because it didn't work like a cosmic reset button after they wrote themselves into a corner.

I am officially retracting this statement about Eureka because they're using the time travel plot to bring back a dead character, so it was a cosmic reset button after all.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 11:09:44 AM by UltimatePartyBear »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 27, 2010, 02:09:55 PM »
Also, despite how crazy and loose the "science" on the show usually is, this was probably one of the better handled time travel scenarios I've seen on TV SciFi.  If for no other reason than because it didn't work like a cosmic reset button after they wrote themselves into a corner.

I am officially retracting this statement about Eureka because they're using the time travel plot to bring back a dead character, so it was a cosmic reset button after all.

Let me guess: Nathan?

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #663 on: August 30, 2010, 01:04:41 AM »
Last week's episode of Mad Man: Meh/10

Indeed, how DOES Joan Holloway stand up? I'm really getting sick of the ex-Mrs. Draper. The daughter, Sally, is also starting to on my nerves. The show is becoming less and less about the business and more about these unresolved family issues that have been brewing since the 2nd season. Maybe Sally will die or something, and THAT will force Don and Betty to take a hard look at what they've been doing.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: August 30, 2010, 10:19:04 AM »

Let me guess: Nathan?

Huh? It was all an illusion of sorts. Nobody came back.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 30, 2010, 11:09:26 AM »

I am officially retracting this retraction because the time travel plot was unrelated to the incident to which I referred.  That's what I get for jumping the gun and basing my opinion on a preview.

Also I am officially apologizing to Caliban for not getting this retraction posted earlier to avoid confusion.

That said, the time travel thing does make me wonder why Carter was so sure the person in question was really supposed to be gone.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 30, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
It's alright. I actually thought you just didn't finish watching the episode the whole way through lol. I have to say though, if they do bring him back I would not mind.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #667 on: August 30, 2010, 12:20:39 PM »
I still have one disc left, but I am watching Beast Machines: Transformers. I remember why I didn't like the show when it originally aired, it basically craps all over Beast Wars. On a commentary for the show, the showrunner even admits that Mainframe Entertainment (the animation company that made the show) hired him specifically because he was not a Transformers fan and told him to ignore Beast Wars because they didn't want to have a continuity to the show. They completely changed Rattrap's personality, the explanation for Rhinox becoming a Vehicon and wanting to destroy both Optimus Primal and Megatron is weak at best, and they never offer any explanation for why they lost their transmetal forms. I now realize why many of the events of it were basically retconned for the Transformers: Universe comic.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 30, 2010, 12:27:33 PM »
I still have one disc left, but I am watching Beast Machines: Transformers. I remember why I didn't like the show when it originally aired, it basically craps all over Beast Wars. On a commentary for the show, the showrunner even admits that Mainframe Entertainment (the animation company that made the show) hired him specifically because he was not a Transformers fan and told him to ignore Beast Wars because they didn't want to have a continuity to the show. They completely changed Rattrap's personality, the explanation for Rhinox becoming a Vehicon and wanting to destroy both Optimus Primal and Megatron is weak at best, and they never offer any explanation for why they lost their transmetal forms. I now realize why many of the events of it were basically retconned for the Transformers: Universe comic.

I didn't like Beast Machines, either, when I originally saw it on TV.  I have the DVD boxset, though, and I thought the show dramatically improved in its second season and had a pretty impressive finale.  Rattrap in particular reverts back to something like his older self in the last batch of episode.

Also, to Beast Machines' credit, due to the stylization its animation has aged a lot better than Beast Wars' has.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #669 on: August 30, 2010, 12:37:39 PM »
I don't know about that last point. I watched the original Beast Wars a few weeks ago and it still looks great. It looks pretty much the same as Beast Machines (which isn't that surprising since the same animation studio made both). I will admit that it got better in season 2, but it comes nowhere near as close as Beast Wars in quality.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 30, 2010, 12:48:02 PM »
I don't know about that last point. I watched the original Beast Wars a few weeks ago and it still looks great. It looks pretty much the same as Beast Machines (which isn't that surprising since the same animation studio made both). I will admit that it got better in season 2, but it comes nowhere near as close as Beast Wars in quality.

The first season of Beast Wars looks terrible now in most episodes, with a sea of blurry textures and really bad-looking explosions and particle effects.  The second and third seasons have aged a lot better, though, since of the characters gained shiny (literally) new Transmetal models and the effects got a slight overhaul.

I definitely agree on the relative quality of the two properties, though: Beast Wars is IMO the best Transformers series ever made by sheer virtue of writing and imagination, which is why I'm both sad and a little annoyed that everyone gushes over the original crappy Transformers series instead and constantly demands that the original series is constantly remade in new TV, movie, and videogame projects.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 01:03:56 PM by broodwars »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #671 on: August 30, 2010, 12:59:33 PM »
At least hardcore fans still enjoy it and they have continued to make Beast Wars comics. It would be nice to have a movie based on it (at least give us a DVD movie).

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 30, 2010, 02:40:07 PM »
I never got in to Beast Wars. I loved Reboot, but I never understood BW with it's even then terrible CG. There was a purpose to the CG in Reboot, but why bloody BW.

Part of it was me raging that Optimus wasn't a truck and me as a kid thinking WTF is going on? Feel free to blame it on kids like me for wanting G1 as retarded as I was back then.

Ahh, Reboot, learned much about computers that I needed to unlearn from that show. Running games kills your system. Running in 8bit mode is like an acid trip. Viruses taking their sweet time doing god knows what. The internet is a series of tubes with fly Galleons.

Good times.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: August 30, 2010, 03:03:23 PM »
Pheneas and Pherb! 10/10

I always just wrote this show off as another Disney mess, but after just one episode I became hooked! It is so clever and funny!
For me Fairly Odd Parents became the new Spongebob, now this is the new fairly Odd Parents. I havn't laughed even laughed at Family Guy like i've laughed at this in a long time.

But for those of you who have no soul and and can only laugh at adult low brow humor, this may not be for you. For everyone else, next time you are sitting around watching tv with the little ones, check it out!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #674 on: August 30, 2010, 03:41:23 PM »
oohhboy, most people who felt like you did changed their mid when they actually watched the show and saw how great it was. Everybody is entitled to their opinions though. I hate The Office and Lost (for example), but I know both shows have big followings.

The Transformers franchise was almost dead at the time and this brought it back. They also wanted to differentiate it from the past 2 series, that is why they had the transformers land in prehistoic earth (and since this was before humans had even learned how to talk, they had no choice but to scan animals as their alternate forms. How can you call it terrible CG, especially when it's the same as ReBoot? It may not be state of the art now (although it still looks good), but it was the best thing going at the time.