Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1186606 times)

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #575 on: August 09, 2010, 11:11:30 PM »
The IT Crowd - 5x2 out of 100/10

Moss, and Denholm are my favorite characters from The IT Crowd.

God, I hated that show. My wife and I watched the entire first disk of season 1 and found the comedy to be way too broad, as is the case with many British comedies.

Because The Big Bang Theory is so much better.

a fifth and sixth season [for The IT Crowd] have been confirmed.

Where did you read about this?

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: August 10, 2010, 12:18:17 AM »
My only disappointment is that each season is very short.  I wish there was more!

They do this with almost all UK TV shows. It's frustrating, but most of the time it's more quality over quantity type situation. I mean there's only 12 episodes of the UK version ofThe Office and that's was one of the most popular comedies of its time. It's short, but it's damn near perfect. Hell, Fawlty towers only has 12 episodes too and it's one of the greatest shows of all-time.

I guess this frustrating and annoying system they have prevents what happens with a lot of US comedies, where they keep dragging on and continually decline in quality. An example being the US version The Office, they should have culled it after Season 4.

God, I hated that show.
found the comedy to be way too broad,
as is the case with many British comedies.

Coming from an American this is lol.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #577 on: August 10, 2010, 12:24:40 AM »
I have seen typical British "humor", and I can't believe that it is supposed to be funny (different people have different tastes I suppose). I don't  get why people find Ricky Gervais funny. I personally think everything of his I have seen has sucked, whether it is The Office (both US and UK versions) or even the episode of The Simpsons that he wrote and guest starred in (which is my least favorite episode of the series and one of the very few episodes I don't like).

Caliban, the show's creator announced it back in May during the preview screening for season 4 (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/may/26/it-crowd-fifth-series).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 12:27:36 AM by TJ Spyke »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 10, 2010, 12:40:30 AM »
Thanks TJ.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #579 on: August 10, 2010, 02:03:38 AM »
Now now. There are some British shows I love, including "Are You Being Served" and "Fawlty Towers." Monty Python anything, really anything involving John Cleese. Look, there's a huge difference between the comedy of those older shows and The IT Crowd or Black Books (another show we tried and hated).

And yes, big Bang Theory is much funnier.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: August 10, 2010, 02:12:11 AM »
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 10, 2010, 07:35:39 AM »
Yes, you are describing episode 1 of season 1 of the current series. That season gets better over time (the girl is Rose Taylor, who is the Doctor's companion for the first two seasons), and the series becomes vastly superior when David Tennant becomes the Doctor in season 2. I think seasons 2 & 3 are the best (I haven't seen season 5 yet because it is still airing in the UK I think).

Season 5 finished airing in June.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #582 on: August 10, 2010, 11:01:16 AM »

Yes, a ton of American sitcoms are extremely broad, but usually not the ones considered to be "good" by people who claim to have refined tastes. Anyway, the idea that British comedy is so much subtler and smarter than American comedy as a whole is pretty overblown. Even Simon Pegg agrees: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2007/feb/10/comedy.television
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 10, 2010, 12:26:07 PM »
Look, there's a huge difference between the comedy of those older shows and The IT Crowd or Black Books (another show we tried and hated).

Not really. Well not as much as you seem to be implying.

And yes, big Bang Theory is much funnier.

Despite hating both shows, TBBT is the lesser of the two.

Yes, a ton of American sitcoms are extremely broad, but usually not the ones considered to be "good" by people who claim to have refined tastes. Anyway, the idea that British comedy is so much subtler and smarter than American comedy as a whole is pretty overblown. Even Simon Pegg agrees: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2007/feb/10/comedy.television

That article doesn't really say that at all. Basically he's saying despite the differences between the two styles of comedy some of the same jokes/situations/emotions can evoke the same reaction on both sides. He also goes on in length to essentially say that it's a fallacy that "Americans don't get irony", which is, of course, rubbish. It's just most UK humour relies on irony far more heavily than American humour.

There's obviously differences between US and UK comedy shows, to say there's not is stupid. Hell, the IT Crowd and The Big Bang Theory (both of which I greatly dislike) are essentially the same show told from each side of the Atlantic. US comedy is far more in your face, while Uk comedy is more subtle. It's just how it is. Which is better? To each his own, I guess.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #584 on: August 10, 2010, 01:32:14 PM »
In the very first episode of IT Crowd, the one guy has a head wound for half the episode that he's unaware of but everyone else is. Ironic? Sure. Subtle? Not at all.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
« Reply #585 on: August 10, 2010, 11:09:59 PM »
Yes, yes. I'm sure we can all show specific examples within specific shows that are exceptions, but it doesn't really change anything on a larger scale, does it?

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #586 on: August 11, 2010, 10:36:15 AM »
There's obviously differences between US and UK comedy shows, to say there's not is stupid. Hell, the IT Crowd and The Big Bang Theory (both of which I greatly dislike) are essentially the same show told from each side of the Atlantic. US comedy is far more in your face, while Uk comedy is more subtle. It's just how it is. Which is better? To each his own, I guess.

I'd agree with that, I just wouldn't say either is intrinsically "smarter" than the other.

But I guess this whole argument was about "broadness", which I took to mean "stupidness" but I guess that's not really what it means, so never mind.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 10:37:52 AM by NWR_Grant »

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 12, 2010, 07:25:45 PM »
I have seen typical British "humor", and I can't believe that it is supposed to be funny (different people have different tastes I suppose). I don't  get why people find Ricky Gervais funny. I personally think everything of his I have seen has sucked, whether it is The Office (both US and UK versions) or even the episode of The Simpsons that he wrote and guest starred in (which is my least favorite episode of the series and one of the very few episodes I don't like).

This upsets me greatly. I personally loved both Office and Extras but feel the standups and the podcast with Steve and the half-human half-godape Karl are the greatest things he's done. Although Karl deserves 90% of the credit for the podcasts.

A show for anyone who loves British humour is Plus One. 5 episodes only, but very clever, incredibly awkward, cringeworthy laughs abound. Pandas in negative have never been so funny.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 13, 2010, 05:58:30 AM »
Seeing as everyone is all "british humour is x" right now, i highly suggest everyone go see Sherlock. It's Sherlock Holmes (as based on the books), but based in 2010 and the lead character is probably more socially inept than House.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #589 on: August 13, 2010, 03:57:30 PM »
Yeah the animated version of the Ricky Gervais show is brilliant (the two episodes I've seen, anyway.)

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #590 on: August 13, 2010, 04:31:37 PM »
Yeah, it's very good. Karl Pilkington makes that show, of course.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 16, 2010, 03:10:56 AM »
I've been keeping up with the 2nd Season of Warehouse 13, and overall it's been a pretty good season despite some visible wheel spinning as the show doesn't seem terribly interested in actually pursuing the plot arc established in the premier.  Considering this season's only 9 episodes long and episode 7 aires on Tuesday, that's not encouraging.  Still, the cast is as solid as ever, the special effects are marginally better than they were last year, and the writers seem to have gotten more comfortable writing for this show (despite the last episode being horrifically bad by focusing on Pete going crazy due to an artifact).

Something worth noting is the recent Warehouse 13/Eureka crossover week, where Fargo from Eureka guest starred on Warehouse 13 and Claudia guest starred on Eureka.  Interesting, the Warehouse 13 episode with Fargo was by far the better of the two.  The idea of crossover episodes is to introduce new fans to a show they potentially have never seen before, show how cool this "new" show is, and give the crossover character something interesting to do to represent their show.  The Warehouse 13 episode did that just fine as a standalone episode that highlighted what the show was and had some great moments.  Fargo even had some stand-out moments when Artie wasn't hilariously insulting him (as he does all young people who come into his warehouse and start messing with stuff).  The Eureka episode, on the other hand, was hard to get into because it seemed like an episode actually steeped in the story of the show, which didn't give people like me who had never seen the show a reference point to get into the story and know the characters.  Plus, Claudia didn't do jack in the episode except flirt and eventually make-out with Fargo (in a minefield, no less), which is stupid considering she's probably the second most competent character on Warehouse 13 (right after Artie).  Overall, I am interested in seeing Eureka now, but that episode was just written very sloppily in terms of being a crossover.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 03:13:21 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 16, 2010, 10:11:59 AM »
The newest season of Eureka has been so-so. I like it, but not as much as the first 3 seasons. It's because they're stranded in an alternate Earth, so to me all the episodes they've done so far are just pointless even if they ever find a chance to come back.

Claudia's hot by the way. It was the first time I saw her because I don't watch warehouse 13.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 16, 2010, 04:51:22 PM »
The fact that so much of the plot of Eureka this season is dependent on the aftermath of accidental time travel made it a really bad time for the crossover.  Even the Warehouse 13 episode would have made more sense last season, when Fargo was still the lowly gofer they would have sent on an errand like that.

I've enjoyed this season of Eureka so far, though.  Among other things, the big mix-up let the writers freshen the romantic tension between Carter and Allison again, added a capable new rival for her affections, gave Fargo even more opportunity to get into trouble as well as opportunity to grow as a character, and once more made things difficult for Henry so that he isn't just the boring "fix everything" guy.  This show could easily end up in a rut of "guest star scientist's invention goes wrong, then Carter uses everyman logic and selfless heroism to save the day with Henry's counter-invention," so I welcome the changes, especially compared to the horrendous product placement season.  Also, despite how crazy and loose the "science" on the show usually is, this was probably one of the better handled time travel scenarios I've seen on TV SciFi.  If for no other reason than because it didn't work like a cosmic reset button after they wrote themselves into a corner.

Warehouse 13 has been more of the same this season, which I guess isn't so bad.  For some reason, the idea of seemingly normal objects having strange powers really appeals to me.  That probably colors my reaction to the show a bit rosier than it would be otherwise.  The season premiere's bad guy switch seemed unnecessary to me, though, especially since the new villain hasn't done anything yet.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 11:10:14 AM by UltimatePartyBear »

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #594 on: August 16, 2010, 07:36:37 PM »
The wife and I just started watching Eureka through the magic of Netflix. Good show, but I wish there was some eye candy. Allison needs to eat an entire cow and the redhead is...I mean, she's clearly SUPPOSED to be the eye candy, but she's not doing it for me.

I like that the show often takes plotlines from something like Star Trek (sometimes blatently) but the Earthbound cast is able to make a whole different show out of it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 09:28:37 PM by Halbred »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 16, 2010, 10:42:58 PM »
Allison needs to eat an entire cow

Go play Soul Calibur, or something.

and the redhead is...I mean, she's clearly SUPPOSED to be the eye candy, but she's not doing it for me.

Redhead? This actress?

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #596 on: August 17, 2010, 12:08:38 AM »
No, the therapist spy woman. I know that not all shows can have Christina Hendricks, but...you know...why not?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 17, 2010, 01:01:20 AM »
Oh I remember now. I figured you were talking about the latest season. My bad. She's old, but she's hot.

Offline Barrett

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 17, 2010, 07:10:15 AM »
breaking bad 8/10
i was watching season 3 of it .Real Estate Marketing
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 03:08:40 AM by Barrett »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 18, 2010, 11:55:10 AM »
I'm partially through the first season of Eureka, and so far I like the show but it feels very rough so far.  It can't seem to make up its mind whether it wants to be a lighter action/comedy like Warehouse 13, or a more serious (though factually goofy) pseudo-science mystery series like Fringe.  The characters are really hit or miss with me: Although I like most of the characters, Allison and the therapist/enigmatic spy just bug me.  I'm already sick of the cheap SyFy-grade "sexual tension" between Carter and Allison, and I was sick of the therapist by the second episode (seriously, she's not being particularly subtle about what she's doing).  You'd think someone would be able to add 2 + 2 and follow the trail of bodies and unexplained events to her.  I wish Warehouse 13 had this show's special effects budget, though.

I was looking into the DVDs, though, and a local Best Buy has the first season on sale for $10.  I'll pick it up later today.  I wish it were on Blu Ray instead of DVD, but whatever.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.