Author Topic: Is there any chance of Beyond Good & Evil 2 coming to Switch?  (Read 13957 times)

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
So Beyond Good & Evil on GameCube is probably my favourite game of all time, and the story ends on a cliffhanger begging for a sequel. However, nothing's ever really worked out for this production it seems. Ubisoft instead got its lead designer to do more (well-received) Rayman sidescrollers and stuff.

Currently I'm slowly starting to eye the Switch release schedule for a (very probable) future purchase. Did a quick google search and there's a few articles citing a tweet from someone called Laura Kate Dale which states that the game is slated to be a "timed exclusive" on Switch, before becoming available on Xbox and PlayStation a year later. No release date given obviously.

However that's pretty much a rumour at this stage right? Beyond Good & Evil 2 would be an absolute system seller for me, even if it means I'll have to build an extra room to fit an Xbox or whatever, but obviously I'd ideally want it for Switch. What do you guys & gals reckon, should we put any stake in rumours like this?

As a BG&E fan I've been routinely dissapointed by Ubisoft since 2003 so I'm not holding my breath, but I won't deny the hype is real when reading speculation it might be in production after all AND headed for a Nintendo console. The 2011 HD remaster was only on X360 and PS3 so I'm not sure how logical a "timed Switch exclusivity" is?

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any chance of Beyond Good & Evil 2 coming to Switch?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 11:39:33 AM »
Wait for E3 and don't get your hopes up.

If there's a chance that it's going to happen, there's a disproportionate, much greater chance that it's NOT going to happen.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 02:13:38 PM »
Laura Kate Dale was basically leading the leak charge on NX right up until the Switch reveal. Basically, everything she said ended up being true. If LKD said Beyond Good and Evil 2 is a Switch timed-exclusive, she has the credibility to back it up. Granted, I'd still take it with a grain of salt since leakers even with a good track record of corroborated sources can end up getting some things wrong or interpreting things a certain way.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 03:32:01 PM »

As a BG&E fan I've been routinely dissapointed by Ubisoft since 2003 so I'm not holding my breath, but I won't deny the hype is real when reading speculation it might be in production after all AND headed for a Nintendo console.

I wasn't sure if your speculation was related to it being in production at all or just to the combo of being in prod and also a Switch exclusive but
BGE has been confirmed to be currently in production
so maybe no need to speculate on that at least.
As for it being a Switch timed exclusive, that's definitely a rumour but it comes from a credible source. I think it will at least come to Switch, even if it doesn't turn out to be a timed exclusive.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 08:27:04 PM »
There had to be some quo to go with the quid pro of Mario x Rabbids.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 11:46:45 PM »
Laura Kate Dale was basically leading the leak charge on NX right up until the Switch reveal. Basically, everything she said ended up being true. If LKD said Beyond Good and Evil 2 is a Switch timed-exclusive, she has the credibility to back it up. Granted, I'd still take it with a grain of salt since leakers even with a good track record of corroborated sources can end up getting some things wrong or interpreting things a certain way.

Also remember that plans and arrangements can change. Deals can fall through, and insiders could disclose tentative plans that never end up solidifying.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 03:37:24 AM »
so long answer short....

Yes, No, Maybe So.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 09:52:18 AM »
Thanks for weighing in everyone, I think BlackNMild sums it up pretty well haha. But I'm optimistic to hear Ms. Dale is known as a reliable source. Ubisoft saying it's actually in production is sadly something they've been going back and forth on since like 2008, so we'll see I guess.

There have been various things like cutscenes, some environments shown, and there was this free-running style gameplay video years ago. But I'm gonna assume those were all just part of pre-production or whatever, or have maybe been scrapped/reworked.

Personally I think this kind of game has the potential to do well on a Nintendo platform, since the original really fit that post-Ocarina period pretty well. When every game was trying to do stealth, action, platforming and vehicle sections (think Star Fox Adventures, Jak & Daxter).
But it'll need a different name for sure, and this time maybe not release it in the same period as other juggernauts (Prince of Persia Sands of Time buried it sales-wise in 2003 - which is also an Ubisoft title haha).

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 07:49:19 PM »
I totally need to play the original. We have it on PS2 and neither my brother or I have played it yet!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 07:55:17 PM »
I've had Beyond Good and Evil for years and I barely played it. One day.

(Probably not though)

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 08:04:34 PM »
Oh yeah Phil and Adrock if you have like, any spare time at all, give it a shot for sure! The whole game can be done in (under) 10 hours if you're fast, 15 if you stop to smell the roses and take pictures of all the wildlife and stuff. But if that's too much of a time investment you could just do the opening scenes, it starts pretty funny with an alien invasion and their forcefield cuts out because they haven't paid the rent on it. Harsh, lol.

You can take pictures pretty early on too, a bunch of the characters in the first location give you funny idle animations if you zoom on them for a while. There's also a goat-girl there who apparantly tells you the entire plot of the game, but it's in a garbled language so you don't recognise any of it. Not sure how fans were able to suss that out.

I don't quite remember how early the open world aspect really kicks in, I think the hovercraft gives you decent mobility but there's a lot of parts you'll need the jump upgrade for. Also it doesn't take long for Pey'J to get his fart-powered rocket boots, so that's a thing.

I've thought about going back to it but I'm kinda scared certain aspects won't hold up as well and I don't wanna tarnish my memories of it.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 06:11:50 PM »
I think there is a good chance. I doubt it being an exclusive, but with a good enough e3 presentation they could pull it off. Switches are selling. That looks good for third party support. Also, ports are fairly easy from all reports. If developers chose Switch as a lead platform they get an advantage. It's easier to  start on the lower end and upgrade then to start on the higher end and downgrade.

What's Ubisoft done lately? They're output is unusually slim at the moment. Which could be great news. The veil is lifted, and the best time to announce any games for Ubisoft is e3.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 09:30:08 AM »
What's Ubisoft done lately? They're output is unusually slim at the moment. Which could be great news. The veil is lifted, and the best time to announce any games for Ubisoft is e3.

I think For Honour is from them, and Ghost Recon: Racist Undertones came out alongside Zelda and Horizon Zero Dawn. Before that... Just Dance and Far Cry Primal? Those might've been 2016 though. 2016 also had The Division (another shooter) and the 2nd Watch_Dogs game.

I think they're publishing slightly fewer big tentpole titles lately yeah (think 2013 with Assassin's Creed 4, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Rayman Legends, Call of Juarez, Blood Dragon and of course some Just Dance/fitness titles), but a lot of Ubi's games seem to be online now... So might be part of their strategy or whatever?

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 08:07:54 AM »
In case anyone else is interested in BG&E2, Ancel has said (on instagram of all places) that it will not be shown at E3 this year. He does say that we should hear about it "sometime this year" though!

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 02:18:34 PM »
I will say I think it holds up well. I played it on PS2 and loved it only to essentially soft lock my save where I bought the rocket before the boosters for the ship making it impossible to finish the game because there wasn't enough orbs to buy the boosters after buying the rocket without going where only the boosted ship can go.
I watched a speed run of it which was cool and showed me the right way to play. I ended up buying the HD remaster on PS3 and played the whole game and loved it still.  It's just as fun, just as corny and just as well made as I remembered it.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 12:47:52 AM »
In case anyone else is interested in BG&E2, Ancel has said (on instagram of all places) that it will not be shown at E3 this year. He does say that we should hear about it "sometime this year" though!

Could be just before e3
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 05:17:00 PM »
No.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 05:18:33 PM »
HYPE TRAIN NOW BOARDING!!!!!

-No platform(s) announced yet as far as I can see.
-Story appears to be a prequel set before the events of Beyond Good & Evil 1. Possible ancestors of Pey'J (the pig) and Jade (green eyed ship captain) are shown, but not sure yet.
-Not seeing any gameplay yet in this trailer either.
-A liiiil worried if Switch can handle these levels of visuals? Wait and see mode for now.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 05:31:31 PM »
Ubisoft had some movie-tier game trailers this year.  It almost makes the games like The Crew 2 look worse when we see them in motion.  Whatever BGE2 actually looks and plays like, the characters seem fun and the overall vibe is similar to Cowboy Bebop.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2017, 07:39:57 PM »
Love the original, so was excited to check out this trailer.

Eh...

Didn't really feel very much like the original game. Way more "**** Yeah!" than I usually go for in my script which makes me wonder if this game is going to have much narrative impact or just try to be some kind of visual tour-de-force for the dudebros.

Also skeptical that it's coming to a Nintendo platform based on visuals and tone... but would love to be wrong there.

Maybe I'm being too harsh though. An E3 trailer without accompanying details doesn't mean that much. Still, my excitement is taking a clear back seat to skepticism at this point. The game might end up being awesome - but Ubisoft are going to have to earn it and that trailer didn't really sell me.
NNID: ejamer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2017, 07:44:09 PM »
I want to see actual in game play. Too many F-bombs for my taste.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 08:30:26 PM »
Yeah excited for the reveal but not the f- bombs.   Started playing the original on Steam.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 12:06:16 AM »
Tonally and visually this game is similar to Skull and Bones, Far Cry 5 and the new Assassins Creed game. So what makes people think BG&E 2 will come to Switch over all those other games?
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 12:12:24 AM »
The first BG&E sold best on Gamecube. It was very Zelda-esque.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 12:14:25 AM »
I want to see actual in game play. Too many F-bombs for my taste.
This is pretty much how I felt. I typically don't mind "****" in dialog, but sometimes it can be distracting.
Tonally and visually this game is similar to Skull and Bones, Far Cry 5 and the new Assassins Creed game. So what makes people think BG&E 2 will come to Switch over all those other games?
Laura Kate Dale.