Author Topic: DS...the end of porting?  (Read 8988 times)

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
DS...the end of porting?
« on: July 23, 2004, 01:04:47 PM »
EDIT: Pressed "Enter" and forgot to write anything...:-P

Well, I was thinking, and the DS may end porting.  I'm thinking that if a game is ported to the DS from past generations (Classic NES), it won't really be...ported.  I'm thinking if a game is ported, the developers should throw in some DS, ya know?  The same game, but some how edit it to make use of the second screen.  What do y'all think?
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
RE:DS...the end of porting?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 01:32:30 PM »
EIther that or we are going to see a lot of games that utilize black screens

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: DS...the end of porting?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 02:52:38 PM »
Porting will never end.  There's no videogame standard format like there is with music and movies so there will always be situations where old games that are no longer available in stores and due to public demand (ie: obscure games) or publisher greed (ie: Namco Museum being released in every format possible) old titles will be re-released for modern consoles.  I have no problem with that since I don't want classic games to be forgotten providing the re-releases follow my personal three rules of ports.

1. The port is affordable either by a discount price or packaged in a compilation.
2. Unless it's a complete remake (like Metroid Zero Mission) the game is ported accurately.  No missing features, no lowered difficulty, no revisionist history, no wanging of the gameplay, no stupid control changes for no reason, etc.
3. Ports are not released in place of original titles.

Sadly Nintendo usually breaks all three of these.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 04:20:56 PM »

Originally posted by: kirby_killer_dedede

The same game, but some how edit it to make use of the second screen.  What do y'all think?

sadly many publishers will utilize the 2nd screen for just a map or moving the huds to the bottom screen (I would prefer the huds for say a racing game to stay on the top screen because often you don't have time to look and search on another screen for how far behind you're in the race among other information, especially on a 2 inch screen.)  I say many publishers will do this based on the quality most of them put into their gba games...

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 04:56:43 PM »
"3. Ports are not released in place of original titles."

"Sadly Nintendo usually breaks all three of these."

When did Nintendo break this one?
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 06:03:28 PM »
I think maybe because of the fact that the GBA doesn't have an original Mario game.  All we got were the "Mario Advance" series of ports.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 07:09:49 PM »
Myxtika is dead on.  When they failed to release a new Mario game on the GBA that broke rule 3.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 07:21:09 PM »
It would've been nice for a new zelda game for gba instead of porting link to the past too.  Theres Minish Cap coming which is good, but I would've preferred it back in with 4 swords because I'll be buying a DS and atleast one new DS game right when Minish Cap is coming out, and don't think I'll end up getting Minish Cap now.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 08:03:04 PM »

Sadly Nintendo usually breaks all three of these.

You people are so hard to please- if Nintendo releases ports, you say you want original games (Mario). If Nintendo releases original titles you complain about how they're not like the original games (Metroid). Make up your minds!

Also, LttP hardly qualifies as a crap port- it had an entirely new game in it. Anyone who claims Four Swords GBA wasn't a new game obviously didn't play it.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 08:41:05 PM »
Who said it was a crap port?  I certainly did not.  I said I wish Minish Cap had been included with 4 swords instead of LttP.  And I didn't say 4 swords isn't a new game.  And you couldn't play a version of 4 swords if your friend didn't own a gba too= port of Lttp only in that case.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2004, 08:43:26 PM »
"Myxtika is dead on. When they failed to release a new Mario game on the GBA that broke rule 3. "

Does Mario and Luigi exist in a bubble or something?  WarioLand 4?  Mario Versus Donkey Kong?  And who said anything about Mario?  You said Nintendo.

And Nintendo has released metric tons of original GBA content that gets ignored because it easy to call it a port machine isn't it?  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2004, 10:21:41 PM »
I think he meant standard Mario games, but the GB hasn't seen any of those since Super Mario Land 2.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2004, 11:13:50 PM »
"I think he meant standard Mario games, but the GB hasn't seen any of those since Super Mario Land 2."

How is Mario vs. Donkey Kong NOT standard Mario?  It's based on the first game he's ever been in!  And he didn't say "Standard Mario games." He just said "Mario games."  If I were feeling antsy I could include Mario Kart: Super Circuit, WarioWare, and the upcoming Mario Pinball.

BUT he didn't start out saying Mario games.  He just said Nintendo stops all production on new titles to put out ports, which is just absurd.  For every Catalog Nintendo Port you can name on the GBA, there are at least 2 new games.  So obviously they are not releasing ports in lieu of new games.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2004, 01:16:45 AM »
Now you're arguing semantics on what is a Mario game. I think you know what he meant.

Though I think what he complained about is that Nintendo put effort into the Super Mario Advance games which would have been better put into a new game of some sort. He didn't say they don't release ANY new titles, just that effort is put into ports that might have netted us a new game instead.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2004, 03:06:53 AM »
"He didn't say they don't release ANY new titles, just that effort is put into ports that might have netted us a new game instead. "

No, he did say that.  See "in place of original titles."  Not "alongside original titles" which would imply the presence of both.  And also since he didn't mention any series whatsoever, it seems to imply that all Nintendo does if they have, in fact, "broken" this rule, is that they release nothing but ports and have no original titles.  At least that's the way I interpreted the frist time I read it.  And then somehow the Mario Advance games got dragged into this as "proof" that Nintendo releases nothing but ports in place of new games.

" Now you're arguing semantics on what is a Mario game. I think you know what he meant."

I know what he meant originally which was

"3. Ports are not released in place of original titles."
"Sadly Nintendo usually breaks all three of these."

Which doesn't even include the words Mario or anything.  Hell that makes it sound like ports of old games (specifically GBA games) should not get in the way of new games.  Which on the GBA, they don't.  In fact, I'll make a list.

GBA Ports Nintendo Published:

SMA
SMA2
SMA3
SMA4
DKC
LTTP
Disney's Magical Quest (Yessir they did publish it.  Just this one, the rest were pubbed by Capcom)
Classic NES (8 games, but I don't think these break his #1 or #2 rules, since they are direct ports and sold at a discount)

New GBA games published by Nintendo:

F-Zero Maximum Velocity
Mario Kart: Super Circuit (Mario!)
Advance Wars
Advance Wars 2
Fire Emblem
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (... ... ... Well they DID publish it.)
Game and Watch Gallery 4 (Remakes AND old versions!)
Golden Sun
Golden Sun: the Lost Age
Hamtaro: Ham Ham Heartbreak
Hamtaro: Rainbow Rescue (Dunno if it's out over here, but anyways)
Kirby: Nightmare in DreamLand (Remake, full)
Mario and Luigi (Hey look, A Mario game!  Ok it's more of an RPG.  But...)
Mario Golf: Advance Tour (Whaddaya know?  ANOTHER Mario Game!  Alright, I'm grapsing at straws.  However...)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong (BINGO!  It's like you are Mario and you run and jump around... kinda like a Mario platformer.  In fact,   that's just what it is)
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero Mission
Pokemon Ruby+Sapphire (I'll be sporting and count this as one.)
Pokemon Pinball: Ruby+Sapphire
Sword of Mana (they published this too.)
Top Gear Rally (Yup uh-huh.  This too)
Wario Land 4 (This plays EEEeerily similar to a Mario Game.  It's almost as if the mechanics are the same!  But if you're gonna be difficult and argue OMG, NOT MARIO, then you will just have to settle for MvDK up there)
Wario Ware Mega Micro Game$

Damn That's pretty one-sided in favor of new games.  So obviously a couple of renovated NES games and some click-and-drag SNES and NES ports isn't stopping the flow of new games  And I didn't even include the upcoming new games like F-Zero GP Legend, F-Zero Climax (recently announced), Kirby: The Amazing Mirror, Mario Pinbal Land (Mario!  Again!), DK:King of Swing, Mario Party Advance (MARIO!  Alright n/m), Hamtaro: Ham Ham Games, Mario Tennis (MarioMarioMarioMarioMario),  Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap.  I'm sure I missed something.  Oh yeah another port will come out soon.  DKC2.  One-sided yet again.

Oh I could be a bitch and say since the GBA is region-free, they that would also include the various import favorites like Kuru Kuru Kururin, Legend of Stafi, Legend of Stafi 2, Custom Robo GX (Could show up here), Tomato Adventure, Magical Vacation.  I don't think I even need to go on.

I dunno, IS Nintendo shamelessly replacing new games with ports of their old ones?  It sure as hell doesn't look like it to me.

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2004, 04:42:52 AM »
I dont think Metroid Zero Mission can be classified as either Port or New. It's a refurbishment of an old game so can't be new but it has been redone so it isn't a straight port.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2004, 04:55:10 AM »
I wouldn't call it redone. It uses a tiny part of Metroid, but plays completely different.

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2004, 06:31:03 AM »
Deguello, Ian said "Sadly Nintendo usually breaks all three of these".  Usually does not mean always.  He never said that all Nintendo does is release ports.

And besides, I was the one that mentioned the Mario games, not him.  Cut him some slack on that one.  And by Mario, I meant a traditional 2D, side-scrolling, platforming game, not a spin-off.  My apologies if I wasn't clear enough.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2004, 07:23:16 AM »
Well if they do a DS to the port it also helps add more players to the DS since there are things a PSP, N-Gage, or Zodiac cannot do that a DS can.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2004, 10:56:29 AM »
Myxtika: Be careful with your wording, a Donkey Kong game would still fall under your definition...

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2004, 11:20:56 AM »

Originally posted by: Deguello
"
So obviously a couple of renovated NES games and some click-and-drag SNES and NES ports isn't stopping the flow of new games

Listing all the games Nintendo has published isn't the same as games they have developed in house.  The whole Mario Advance series was developed in house by Nintendo, many of the other games you listed were not.  Therefor there's reason to say that the time spent porting those 4 Mario Advance series games could've equaled 2-3 new Mario titles instead.  It's not simple click-and-drag porting from home consoles to portables.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2004, 03:32:50 PM »
"Listing all the games Nintendo has published isn't the same as games they have developed in house."

I don't remember anybody saying a damn thing about developing anything in-house.  All I read was "Nintendo releases ports in the place of new games."  Which I literally interpreted to mean "Nintendo releases no new games and instead releases ports of old games."  Which they apparently usually do.  Which they don't.  At all.  Ever.

You know it's interesting.  First it was "Nintendo releases ports instead of new games."  Which is false.  Then it was "Nintendo  releases ports instead of any new Mario games."  Which is also false.  Then it was "Nintendo releases ports inseatd of any new traditional side-scrolling 2D Mario games."  Which is ALSO false.  (Thank you MvDK, your release was rather convenient.)  Now it is "Nintendo releases ports of old games instead of new titles that they have developed in-house."  Which is ALSO FALSE.

It's like I'm trying to prove evolution to a Bob Jones University graduate.  Everytime I think I've gotten a good talking point through with good reason and logic, all of a sudden the rules change.  Next I bet it will be "Nintendo releases ports of old games instead of Traditional 2D sidescrolling Mario/Zelda crossovers while drinking turpentine on Mt. Fuji."

Look I'm tired of this.  You wanna think the GBA is a port machine, fine.  Go ahead.  You are welcome to that opinion, but it is 100% wrong.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2004, 05:03:07 PM »
I'm not saying GBA is a port machine and I don't think anyone else is either.  I wouldn't have bought 3 of them if I did.  I merely think that the time spent on porting the Mario Advance Series games (4 of them) could've been spent making atleast 2 new Mario games, if not 3.  Why does developing games in house have to do with that?  Because like I said the Mario Advance Series was developed in house, and it would've been the same teams who made those titles on gba that could've created new Mario titles.  Why do I mention that many of the games you listed were not in development by Nintendo in house?  Because you used those to say look most of the games are not ports, that is true, but if most of them were not made in house then they have no bearing on the fact that Nintendo used their in house teams to do Mario ports instead of new Mario titles.  Those games made by other teams, and 2nd and 3rd parties don't have to do with the Mario team and titles.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2004, 05:51:42 PM »

I think he meant standard Mario games, but the GB hasn't seen any of those since Super Mario Land 2.

Wario Land = "Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3"

Wario Land 4 on the GBA is as much of a proper "Mario Series" game as the ported "Mario Advance 3" is.

Mario Advance 3 = Yoshi's Island

Yoshi's Island = "Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2"

Super Mario World = "Super Mario World: Super Mario Bros 4"

I think Mouse Clicker said it best here.

You people are so hard to please- if Nintendo releases ports, you say you want original games (Mario). If Nintendo releases original titles you complain about how they're not like the original games (Metroid).
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2004, 08:37:02 PM »
Ruby: I dunno about Wario Land 4, but Wario Land played very different from a mario title since Wario was a lot more aggressive with his battering ram attacks and such. The Super Mario Advance games were just ports, nothing we haven't played before.

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2004, 02:25:47 PM »
When we see how the multiplatform games shake out, perhaps that will answer the question...off the top of my head, DS will have The Urbz, Need For Speed: Underground, Viewtiful Joe....and Im sure theres a few more. These games are/will be also available on PSP and the current consoles. We'll see how much of the DS's unique features are reflected in the gameplay of the different version...for example, a Need For Speed game that basically dumbs down the graphics of the PSP version and adds a map to the second screen would prolly equal a good example of "Game Ports: No System is Safe".

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2004, 02:55:40 PM »
I seem to have come under a lot of fire here so I'll specify.  What I meant but releasing ports instead of new content I meant releasing a port of a game in a series instead of making a new game in the series.  With Mario for example we haven't received a new 2D sidescroller in the style of SMB/SMB3/SMW.  We likely would have gotten one if Nintendo didn't instead decide to port the other 2D Mario sidescrollers.  I'm not saying they haven't released any new games period OR no games that use the Mario license.

For an example of what I consider the ideal situation see Square's FF re-releases on the Playstation.  Those ports were released alongside three original Playstation FF RPGs.  It wasn't like a situation where the fans want a sequel and the company drops a port in their lap instead.

Here's a pretty good example of the situation.  Nintendo has re-released several ports of Ice Climber but has not made a new Ice Climber game.  I'm sure there is a fanbase that wants to see a sequel but instead are just getting endless re-releases.

Offline Blackknight131

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2004, 03:49:11 PM »

Nintendo has re-released several ports of Ice Climber but has not made a new Ice Climber game. I'm sure there is a fanbase that wants to see a sequel but instead are just getting endless re-releases.

There is!?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2004, 03:55:00 PM »

Nintendo has re-released several ports of Ice Climber but has not made a new Ice Climber game. I'm sure there is a fanbase that wants to see a sequel but instead are just getting endless re-releases.

There is!?

I think his point is that if there's a sufficient fanbase to warrant a rerelease of the original, there's a sufficient fanbase for the release of a sequel.

"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2004, 10:12:01 PM »
There's the cost issue and of course the ideas issue (i.e. can Nintendo think of anything to add to the game to warrant a sequel).

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: DS...the end of porting?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2022, 08:02:22 PM »
This thread aged so well. It is like a fine wine.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2022, 01:16:10 PM »
What a fun read in hindsight. What led to you to it up Pokepal?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2022, 02:31:42 PM »
Someone was looking at it on Who's Online.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2022, 05:43:26 PM »
Who's Online is a great way to find wonderfully random old threads with intriguing concepts.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2022, 09:26:47 PM »
Wow I don't think I was even on these forums in 2004?!?!?

Edit: omg... I WAS
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 09:33:45 PM by Kairon »
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2022, 12:43:58 AM »
I believe I was on my old account here at the time. I think I made my new one to be sort of "reborn" in 2005.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast