Author Topic: 2nd Annual NWR Four on Four  (Read 8653 times)

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
2nd Annual NWR Four on Four
« on: April 01, 2022, 10:16:59 PM »
Hey there forum fans, time to dig out those Jaguars, charge up those Vitas, plug in your Dreamcasts, and dust off the old Virtual Boy. That's right, it's the fourth month of the year and thus time to kick off the 2nd annual Four on Four community event!

The basic idea is to complete four games from four different systems in during the month of April. This will encourage us to play more games and as well as games on different systems. Feel free to modify the rules as you see fit. You could use the system the game was originally released on rather than the system you played it on. Instead maybe you just play four games on four different system without completing them. Personally, I am going to pick some games that I have already started and plan to finish in April

Just post the games you are playing and what system you are playing them on and have fun!

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
Re: 2nd Annual NWR Four on Four
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 10:21:01 PM »
Here are the four games I hope to finish this month:
  • The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - playing on the Wii U virtual console
  • Horizon Forbidden West - playing on PS5
  • My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - playing on 3DS
  • BioShock - playing on XBox One

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 08:57:01 AM »
By a stroke of luck I've already managed to finish 2 games on the first day of the month, so it's possible that I manage to reach 5 on 4, or maybe even 6 on 4! But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Done
1. Pikmin 1 - Wii U
2. Seventh Lair - PC

Goals
3. Pokemon Legends Arceus - Switch
4. Yakuza 4 Remastered - PS4

If I went any further than that it would either be on PS3 or 3DS. Need to think about it.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 06:33:36 PM »
I also front loaded quite a bit with this. I have over 100 hours put into Horizon, 2 dungeons cleared in Zelda, and only about 10 puzzles left in Picross. I have not started Bioshock yet, but it is only supposed to be 10-20 hours, so I think I can pull this off.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 08:19:11 PM »
Question.  Can I play 4 games on the Switch but they are on different systems.

Basically what I am asking is can I use the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion to play one game each on the NES, SNES, N64 and Genesis?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 01:50:08 PM »
Question.  Can I play 4 games on the Switch but they are on different systems.

Basically what I am asking is can I use the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion to play one game each on the NES, SNES, N64 and Genesis?
Yes, great idea!  The spirit of the challenge is to play a variety of games so using the system they were originally released on is a great variant.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2022, 05:22:32 AM »
Okay here is what I am going to go with.

Genesis- CastleVania:Bloodlines

N64- Super Mario 64

SNES- Earthbound

NES- Star Soldier SP.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline CoreyL

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2022, 11:44:30 AM »
Hi.
If I have to participate, I choose :
Genesis - hard cop contract
snes - Dom Tromper
N64 - donkey kong

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2022, 10:47:17 AM »
Okay here is what I am going to go with.
Genesis- CastleVania:Bloodlines
N64- Super Mario 64
SNES- Earthbound
NES- Star Soldier SP.
Some great picks here and certainly achievable with the time remaining. I am really curious about Bloodlines. I have been meaning to get to that one so let us know how it goes.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 10:48:44 AM »
Hi.
If I have to participate, I choose :
Genesis - hard cop contract
snes - Dom Tromper
N64 - donkey kong
No participation requirement CoreyL, but glad you are giving it a go. DK 64 is one of my favorite N64 games. The other two I am not familiar with so I am looking forward to hearing about them. If you have time, go for a fourth game.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2022, 10:52:13 AM »
I aw the credits roll on Horizon Forbidden West on Friday. This was the reason I got a PS5 and it was worth it for the fast load times alone. Being able to fast travel in a couple seconds really changed the game for me. I also liked the way quests were handled in this one with more variety and deeper story in the traditional side quests. All in all I put in 130 hours into the game. I completed all the quests and found all the collectables but the in-game completion rate says I am only 93% complete. I will do a little more hunting to figure out what the 7% is but otherwise I am off to other games. That's 1 down and 3 to go...

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2022, 11:47:00 AM »
I finished up My Nintendo PICROSS: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess on 3DS last night. As you may suspect from the title this was a reward from the My Nintendo Program. I played through the 45 standard Picross puzzles a few years ago and marked this as beaten. This month I decided to complete the game by going through the remaining 46 puzzles. 45 of those are Mega Picross where you get some clues about two adjacent rows/columns. Initially I did not like this variant, but by the time I finished I had adjusted and the standard puzzles seemed too easy. The 46th puzzle was Micross, were you have one big puzzle made up of about 40 smaller puzzles. This ended up only lasting an hour or two since the smaller puzzles were quite easy. All in all this free game lasted me about 37 hours. That is 2 down and 2 to go...

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2022, 02:05:03 PM »
Man, that really is a lousy avatar....

I was hoping I might have Kirby and the Forgotten World wrapped up by now but I have really slowed down in gaming time right now (along with NWR posting time  :'( ). Only at World 4-2. I've rescued about half the Waddle Dees since I've seen people posting screenshots of saving 300 Waddle Dees and I'm at around 155. I was thinking I might get Kirby done along with Fire Emblem Fates Birthright since I was at Chapter 20 (and there are 26 - 28 chapters) for 2 out of 4 with no idea what I might do about the other two. But now, it'll just be a win to get Kirby done this month.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2022, 04:24:40 PM »
Only at World 4-2. I've rescued about half the Waddle Dees  But now, it'll just be a win to get Kirby done this month.
It is good to hear that there is so much to the game. Not too surprising as most of the modern Kirby games are quite substantial if you go for completion.

About how many hours have you played so far?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2022, 04:54:15 PM »
Unsure. I'll have to check my Switch profile later to see what time is listed there. Still the biggest disappointment to me about the Switch: Not being able to see an accurate log of your playtimes on games. 3DS and Wii U could do it but not Switch?  >:(  People were complaining about folders but, let's be real folks, this is the real tragedy and biggest missing feature of the Switch.

I started playing it quite a bit the first week of April but I think the last I played was Apr. 9th until this weekend when I played another hour or so on Saturday. If I had to guess maybe around 11-ish hours. Now I want to see what my Switch has to say when I get home to find out how close I was.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2022, 07:17:02 PM »
Still the biggest disappointment to me about the Switch: Not being able to see an accurate log of your playtimes on games. 3DS and Wii U could do it but not Switch? 
Yes, I try not to let this bother me but it does. Part of that is that fact that the switch has the data I want, it just doesn't show it to me. One consolation is that Sony and Microsoft consoles are not any better about giving you detailed playtime data. Thankfully many games have in-game tracking of time played and any devs that include this get an ok from me.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2022, 07:46:47 PM »
According to my profile, I've played it for 10 hours or more so it seems my guesstimate of 11 hours is pretty spot on. I imagine that it will be close to another 11 hours for me to wrap the game up.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2022, 11:09:14 AM »
According to my profile, I've played it for 10 hours or more so it seems my guesstimate of 11 hours is pretty spot on. I imagine that it will be close to another 11 hours for me to wrap the game up.
22 hours sounds perfect. I was hoping for that with The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks but ended up spending about 32 hours on it. I played this on the Wii U virtual console using the Gamepad as the touch screen. It was not quite as enjoyable as Phantom Hourglass but it does have its moments. I had a lot of trouble with the music parts since the mic in my gamepad is not what it used to be. I also had look something up in a guide twice. So either it was a little too smart for me or I am getting too old and impatient. That is 3 down and 1 to go...

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2022, 05:19:18 PM »
I finished Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 3: Night of the Quinkin on PC.
I also have the last K.K. slider tune in Animal Crossing New Horizons on Switch so I'm going to mark that game finished for the purposes of this event to pad my numbers.

I'm currently working through a rom hack of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 called Explorers of the Skies which is something of a difficulty/QoL hack for the second set of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games. It's been really enjoyable so far.

And I guess I'll work on Wind Waker on Wii U a bit for the Zelda game club although I don't expect to finish it.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2022, 05:42:19 PM »
I'm currently working through a rom hack of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 called Explorers of the Skies which is something of a difficulty/QoL hack for the second set of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games. It's been really enjoyable so far.
So is this a rom hack for Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky from DS?

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2022, 08:51:23 PM »
It is, yeah. Groudon was mean.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2022, 03:06:34 PM »
I'll play this game. 

1. Fallow (PC)
2. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Switch)

I'll probably need to pick a gamepass indie and a PS4 game to hit the 4.  Maybe the Wii U or 3DS...

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2022, 06:22:07 PM »
2. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Switch)

Is this via the Switch online expansion pack Genesis games? I wasn't sure if there was a Sega ages release or not.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2022, 06:34:30 PM »
Joining late!

1. Break In, 1989 Turbografx-16 (via Wii U virtual console).
Not gonna finish this, but it's a competent simulator of pool/billiards/snooker and such. Leans a tad into sleazy jazz club vibes. The interface means a slow paced game becomes even slower, so I don't have the patience to go through it all, but it's fine.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2022, 03:41:06 PM »
Joining late!

1. Break In, 1989 Turbografx-16 (via Wii U virtual console).
Not gonna finish this,

Now that is a deep cut, and extra points for picking a console that nobody else has.
How exactly does one "beat" this game?