Gaming Forums > General Gaming

What is the last game you beat? Thoughts/impressions?

<< < (217/217)

Ian Sane:
Just got 100% in Yoku's Island Express (Switch).  I liked the demo so it had been on my radar for a bit.  I was hoping for physical release but they recently had a sale where it was only a couple bucks so I decided to just go digital for it.

It's a pinball Metroidvania.  I've been playing a lot of the reproductions of Williams pinball tables in Pinball FX so I've been on a virtual pinball kick the last few years (and real pinball when I get a chance).  I like Metroidvanias a lot but I kind of suck at them.  I usually am good at figuring out secret passages and such but tend to suck at fighting bosses which are common in the genre.  But this one essentially replaces that part of the genre with virtual pinball, which I'm reasonably good at.  The idea sounds odd in theory but the layout of the world is designed very well so it all works and the demo does a good job of, uh, demonstrating the concept.  If you like the demo, you'll like the game... unless you're really bad at pinball.

My one complaint is there are parts where you have to swing from these flowers to get to high places and the timing is tricky and if you mess up you usually fall a long ways and have to climb back up.  What I found especially frustrating about them is that there is no pinball elements involved so it requires me to be good at something that is unrelated to the skills needed for the rest of the game.  The closest comparison is probably the barrel levels in Donkey Kong Country.  I also noticed that if the game was on for a fair bit that the performance would get worse and I would start to see slowdown and extra load times.  It fixed it once I exited the game and went back in so there must be some memory leak or something.  But save points are frequent so it's easy to reset the game if it happens without losing progress.

It ended up being one of those games that once I start it it has its hooks in me so deep that I end up plowing through it as soon as my free time allows.  I liked it similar to how much I liked Metroid Zero Mission.  So if a pinball Metroidvania sounds even remotely interesting to you the demo is worth a try and then you'll probably want more.

MaximumGaming69:
The legendary Red Dead Redemption 2. Even the Online version, but partially. Such a cool story, the environment is just breathtaking. It's just 10/10

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version