Author Topic: Is 3DS XL launch weekend in Europe! Did you get yours?  (Read 5817 times)

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
Is 3DS XL launch weekend in Europe! Did you get yours?
« on: July 27, 2012, 07:50:39 AM »
Wahey, a new console! Well, sort of.
Picked mine up this morning, did my system transfer, checked I didn't loose my eshop credit or my mii hats then had to put it in my pocket and go to work.

But hey, it fits in my pocket!

Other initial thoughts:
I like the stylus
The 3 buttons at the bottom of the touch screen are pretty horrible. How did they manage to make them worse?
Is it just me or is the touch screen a bit of a down grade over the last one? The bending plastic cover reminds me of my old DS lite.
The top screen is lovely! (obvious I know).

I went for red, how about you?

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Re: Is 3DS XL launch weekend in Europe! Did you get yours?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 03:58:19 PM »
Hey Europeans!

What I'm really curious about is how DS games look on the 3DSXL.   I hate lugging around BOTH my DSI XL and my 3DS all the time.  But, I HATE how DS games look on the 3DS even more.  So what I really want to know is:  Do DS games look at least as good as on the DSI or DSI XL? 
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 04:24:42 PM »
I don't get the hate on DS games on 3DS, I have played DS games on my 3DS and they look just as good as they do on my DSi.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 10:15:13 PM »
Yeah, I don't really have a problem with that either. I can see a difference, but it's not enough of one to be an issue.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Hey Einstein!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 07:26:17 AM »
I HATE how DS games look on the 3DS even more.  So what I really want to know is:  Do DS games look at least as good as on the DSI or DSI XL?

It depends what you can live with after you've got used to your DSi XL.
Full screen the DS games looks like they did before but bigger. Like the  comments above, this never bothered me - in fact I preferred it to the massive pixels on the DSi XL, but that's just personal preference.
The improvement on the 3DS XL comes from playing DS games in their original resolution, which was tiny on the 3DS but is great on the XL and displays at roughly the same size as the original 3DS screens.

Personally I'd make the upgrade even if you do keep carrying your DSi XL, it's all together a much nicer package then the original 3DS.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 09:24:37 AM »
I don't get the hate on DS games on 3DS, I have played DS games on my 3DS and they look just as good as they do on my DSi.

Some games seem to be affected worse than others. I've played all the Layton games on my 3DS and they seemed fine. I tried to play Spirit Tracks on the 3DS, however, and it looked absolutely terrible.
Gouge away.

Offline leahsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 03:29:48 PM »

Some games seem to be affected worse than others. I've played all the Layton games on my 3DS and they seemed fine. I tried to play Spirit Tracks on the 3DS, however, and it looked absolutely terrible.

Most definitely.   In general, a lot of DS games (but especially polygonal) look softer and darker on the 3DS, at least to my eyes.  This is in stark contrast to the somewhat chunkier but brighter look on the DSI XL.

Actually, a few minutes ago I noticed Jeremy Parish put up a comparison on 1up.   I don't think the way he went about it was as scientific as could be, however, and it seems to be very subjective.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9112058

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 06:06:41 PM »

Actually, a few minutes ago I noticed Jeremy Parish put up a comparison on 1up.   I don't think the way he went about it was as scientific as could be, however, and it seems to be very subjective.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9112058

His logic seems sound, though I'd have to see it for myself to be sure.
Gouge away.

Offline tyrian3

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 06:29:44 AM »
I got mine on the 14th, I saved up some money and I was keeping an eye out for some gamestop deals. In the end I found a deal and got a blue XL. I really like the console, the screens are of course beautiful but the build itself is pretty nice overall. I wish they put it the second analog because I really want to play Resident Evil and Kid Icarus with it, guess I have to wait for the pad pro xl hoping it won't be hideous like the current CPP.
I have bought MK7 with it and I've just started playing around with it. The 3D effect is pretty cool, I find it almost subtle in mario kart and that's good because it's not the heart of the game, but it adds a little bit to it.
The Eurosport app is a good idea but without interesting content is just a waste of space. I mean, only 2 minutes WATTS? No news, highlights or anything? what the heck?
Downloaded a bunch of demos but it's a letdown that you have limited uses for them. On my ps3 I can play with them as long as I want, I wasn't expecting such a limitation on the 3ds but hey it's Ninty we're talking about :P:

For now I'm pretty pleased by the console, I am waiting for more games to come out. My most anticipated software is Paper Mario (with Luigi's Mansion sadly delayed to 2013), and more in the future I really look forward to Layton vs Ace Attorney. I wish more third party games were available, because pretty much all the games I'm considering are first party. I guess we'll have to wait and see!

PS: where's my f-n metroid game nintendo? WHERE IS IT??

EDIT: I forgot to say, about the charger I never owned a dsi or 3ds, I just got a usb-dsi charging cable for 4.90 off ebay and use it with a generic usb-ac adapter I already have. Works like a charm, and I can use it with everything, be it the wall plug, my computer or the external multi-purpose recharge-it-all battery pack I bought from amazon :D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 06:34:04 AM by tyrian3 »

Offline leahsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 07:19:18 AM »

PS: where's my f-n metroid game nintendo? WHERE IS IT??

In a land of forgotten dreams and broken promises, along with the 5 million copies that Other M would have had to sell to make back all the money Nintendo spent on that game.

Offline Hey Einstein!

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 10:36:15 AM »
Glad you're enjoying your XL tyrian3.
I've been mostly playing Tales of The Abyss since I got mine and it's been a great experience (although the plot is jibbering nonsense from the title screen onward).

I've mentioned in a few places on the forums (as it has grated upon me so) that doing the system transfer wiped all my eshop save data, even restoring my SD card from a back up didn't help. I was really disappointed but everything else is intact, even the charts and stats showing my usage & steps. So it wasn't the biggest of losses.

The screens seem darker to me then on the original 3DS, anybody else noticed that? I don't mind to much because the improved battery life means I've been playing with the brightness cranked up to full on a summers day and still having enough juice to stay on stand by and take up where I leave off in the evenings.

I still don't like the Select/Home/Start buttons but I'm more used to them now. The circle pad feels more responsive and comfortable to me, I love feeling the click on the 3D slider and the top screen locking positions are a massive improvement. I'm very happy with the system and looking forward to an XL circle pad pro so I can dive back into Resident Evil. Just hope it definitely comes to Europe.

Offline leahsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 11:05:06 PM »

I've mentioned in a few places on the forums (as it has grated upon me so) that doing the system transfer wiped all my eshop save data, even restoring my SD card from a back up didn't help. I was really disappointed but everything else is intact, even the charts and stats showing my usage & steps. So it wasn't the biggest of losses.

Uh, yeah I saw you posted that in the Warioland Retroactive thread, and that scared the crap out of me.  Is that true for everyone, or is this an isolated but unfortunate incident?   Because after I saw your post I rushed to the official Nintendo FAQS, which say that what happened to you should not have happened....your save data SHOULD have stayed intact.

So, did this happen to anyone else?  Please, I'm on Puzzle 93 of Catrap, you do not know how hard it is to get to Puzzle 93 of Catrap.

Offline Hey Einstein!

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 11:05:12 AM »
According to this thread some people are loosing save games and some aren't.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/40564/video-how-to-transfer-your-3ds-eshop-games-to-3ds-xl/

It seems that restoring the SD card from a back up is supposed to bring the game saves across but that it's not doing it for everybody for some reason. It certainly didn't for me. There are a few plums out there posting about it who clearly didn't back up their cards first and didn't realize you needed to. That's not me, I have all my photos etc, just no stinking game saves.

Anybody else here done it care to comment? Any tips?

Offline Eman55

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 11:38:34 AM »
I just got the 3DS XL after my original 3DS got stolen, but luckily I still have most of the games for it.

Offline leahsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 07:37:12 PM »
Whew!  Got my 3DS XL and the transfer went well, though it did take a crap long time (about 20 DSiware, 10 eshop, 40 VC, Demos, videos, ambassador games, etc.).   All my save data was retained, including Dsiware, which I was really worried about.

Offline Hey Einstein!

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
Nice one! Incipiently, do you recommend any of the DSiware you have? I've got 3D Space Tank (X returns) and 4 Swords but that's it.

Offline leahsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 12:31:47 PM »
A lot of these have already been championed by my betters in this forum, but I would highly recommend the following:

Chronos Twin and Dark Void Zero - If you think games like Mutant Mudds and Mega Man are TOO EASY for you.

March of the Minis - If you like that kind of game, don't spend money on the retail release, save some dollars and pick this up.   The bonus stages are insidious.

Might Milky Way -  Probably one of the most unique games you will every play.  There is no real game I can compare it to accurately, except for the star/floating-in-space bits in Super Mario Galaxy 2.   And the twist ending will leave you speechless.

Starship Defense - The only tower defense game that I will play.   A tower defense game where level design is actually employed by the developers.  A very cleanly designed and tight game, with a very good (as in, steep) difficulty curve.   I especially think the ability to turn your "towers" and the use of powerups really adds to the strategic depth of the game, as does the way all the weapons are unique and complement each other.   

Offline Hey Einstein!

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 10:10:34 AM »
Thanks! Not read/seen enough of Starship Defense. I knew it was Q games but my enjoyment of tower defense pretty much starts and stops at Plants vs Zombies so I was never interested in it before. I will definitely check it out though. The others are indeed games I've been meaning to try.