Author Topic: All things Mario Tennis Open!  (Read 4382 times)

Offline Ignoramus

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
All things Mario Tennis Open!
« on: May 22, 2012, 11:19:39 PM »

Surprised to not see a topic on this game yet! Are you enjoying it so far? Who is your main? Are you using gyro or regular controls?

I've been using Daisy for a while, but thinking of switching to a "tricky" type character like Boo now that I've mastered the shots.

I am also using the gyro gimmick controls over the regular ones for some reason. It actually works out well if not a little "too" well. Since you are controlling what direction your character is going to hit the ball, the game moves your character for you so you don't have to multitask. It can get pretty overpowered online.
3DS Friend Code: 0516-7436-5160
I love games and wrasslin.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: All things Mario Tennis Open!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 11:35:58 PM »
Is this game out in the US? I thought it came out on the 25th. Guess I got to pick it up tomorrow.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ignoramus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 11:56:52 PM »
Is this game out in the US? I thought it came out on the 25th. Guess I got to pick it up tomorrow.

Yep! It came out this past Sunday. My Gamestop had 10 copies, 8 for people who preordered, and only 2 for people that didn't. Thankfully I scored one of the two!
3DS Friend Code: 0516-7436-5160
I love games and wrasslin.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 11:58:57 PM »
Why in the world did I think the 25th?

I do want this game, how is your online going so far? I just want as little lag as possible and something decently competitive, like MK7 or Uprising.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Nintendad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 10:19:44 PM »
I've put around 5 hours into the game thus far. I played Mario Tennis 64 to death and loved it. I skipped the GCN version. I've never played the GB versions. Here are some of my observations:

--I quickly turned the gyro controls off. I don't like moving my 3DS to play.

--I felt the single player tournament play started off way too easy. I got to the 4th cup without even losing a set, not a game, but a set. Unlocking the "pro" com players is much better. However, I'm still not finding it difficult to advance. I'm now in the 8th cup and I think I've lost a match twice now.

--Doubles play I haven't touched yet.

--It took me awhile to figure out how to earn coins and I don't like it. Basically, the only way to earn coins is to play the mini-games. There are so many items to buy that you'll have to spend hours playing these 4 mini-games over and over to ever have a chance to buy most of them as the items aren't cheap. From my experience, playing tournament and online earns you zero coins. Not a fan of that.

--Online with friends. At first I thought this would be great. I have 99 friends on my 3DS and I'd say close to 10 own this game (you can tell by the friend leader boards). The first time I ever went online, there was a friend waiting to play and we played 3 games. It was fun although I appeared to be a little more experienced than him. Since that time, I have never been able to hook up with a friend again. It's way too hard to hook up and I now realize how lucky I was the first time. The problem is this isn't like Mario Kart in which you can join in. You have to create a room, and then wait for a friend to show up and play. The chances of that happening are slim to none. There's no way to communicate with your friends to join up, even if they are playing Mario Tennis at the same time.

--Online with strangers. I've played probably 30 matches and lost around 20 of them. I've only experienced lag during one match. The rest have been flawless. I've only played the tiebreaking matches online. Basically, the first to 7 points wins. If I've played 30 matches I'd say 28 of them ended in a score of 7-0, 7-1, or 7-2. The game is supposed to match you with people matching your skill but as of yet, this isn't happening. I'm hoping once you play a few games the matches will be better. It's no fun playing someone you have no chance of beating, or someone that has no chance of beating you. To make it worse the items you equip are carried online. It's very easy to get matched against someone that already has bought the dominant items which makes it even tougher to compete if you haven't spent hours playing the mini-games to earn coins.

--This game makes me grip my 3DS so hard my thumb is usually throbbing after a play session. Not sure why I keep doing that.

--I also wish you could take the touch controls off the bottom screen (which I never use) and replace it the scoreboard. There have been several instances in which I had to go to the pause screen to see where we were in the match.

Reading through this probably indicates I hate this game, which I certainly don't. I enjoy and look forward to playing. It's just frustrating that it appears corners were cut. I agree with most of the reviews. Good game that could have been great. Feel free to discuss.

Offline vinniebrock

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 02:00:49 AM »
I'm really enjoying it. It's not perfect, but fun and addictive, which is really all I'll require from Mario Tennis. Online is hit & miss, I've had some flawless matches and some that slowed to a crawl.

Also, different colored Yoshis ftw.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 02:15:33 AM »
A different colored Mario-- Metal Mario, to be exact-- is also coming:
http://youtu.be/WUm7NHizYZA
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Eman55

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 02:48:16 PM »
I played tennis in high school and love a good tennis videogame.  The GBC Mario Tennis was great, though I am sad this one does not have an RPG mode.  However, I am wondering how good the mini-games are in Open and if that and the online make up somewhat for a lack of an RPG mode?

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 07:37:25 AM »
Just finished single campaign and now started to play through doubles (by myself sadly).
This is my first Mario Tennis game and I was initially underwhelmed; the button controls seemed to complicated and the touch screen controls made it a dull colour matching rhythm game. I decided to stick with it for a week and so glad I did. Little did I know that the initial single player tournaments are really the tutorial!Okay so they aren't offically, but this is where I learned the play mechanics that now seem second nature. Now I've mastered the commands, am thinking in terms of spaces and really enjoying myself.

I really hope we get VC releases for the GBC & GBA versions at some point.

Offline Nintendad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 02:45:12 PM »
After 25 hrs of play, I'd say I'm about finished with this. Most of my original impressions I stand by. The single player ramps up nicely. I took 3 characters and won all 8 cups with them, playing "pro" opponents. I tried playing "ace" opponents a few times and was never even able to win a point! I guess the only thing I didn't like, was playing the harder cups, it mostly came down to waiting until you got the purple power shot option.

Online got much better as far as getting matched up to your skill level. I definitely had some exciting 8-6 matches. The lag seemed to hit every 6 or 7 matches though. Very annoying.

The game has a ton of stuff to unlock/buy but because I don't like replaying the mini-games over and over to earn coins, I quit even trying.

I'd probably give the game a solid B...good but not great.

Offline xcwarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 07:54:07 AM »
After 25 hrs of play, I'd say I'm about finished with this. Most of my original impressions I stand by. The single player ramps up nicely. I took 3 characters and won all 8 cups with them, playing "pro" opponents. I tried playing "ace" opponents a few times and was never even able to win a point! I guess the only thing I didn't like, was playing the harder cups, it mostly came down to waiting until you got the purple power shot option.

Online got much better as far as getting matched up to your skill level. I definitely had some exciting 8-6 matches. The lag seemed to hit every 6 or 7 matches though. Very annoying.

The game has a ton of stuff to unlock/buy but because I don't like replaying the mini-games over and over to earn coins, I quit even trying.

I'd probably give the game a solid B...good but not great.

You should be able to win even the Star Cups with the lob and curve shots, sometimes the loop shot. If you can only win with Purple shots.... you need to improve your game.

I can see what you're saying about the mini games being a bit tedious, but you can do those when you only have 10 minutes or so, that fills a time gap and eventually you'll get to what you want I think.

I agree it's not an A title, but I am still waiting a bit longer before giving it a grade. It's too easy to get to the credits, which I do count as beaten, but I want to play more before saying for sure what I think.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior