Poll

What device do you use most to Netflix? (choose all that apply)

Game Console
22 (42.3%)
Smart Box (AppleTV, Roku, Blu-Ray player)
10 (19.2%)
Smart Phone/Tablet (& Chromecast)
8 (15.4%)
Smart TV
3 (5.8%)
Computer/HTPC
9 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: All Things Netflix! Coming Soon: The Netflix Experience, Live and In Person!??  (Read 322040 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: All Things Netflix! Soon to be found on another Network near you?
« Reply #675 on: November 11, 2022, 07:18:49 PM »
I opted to sign up for the Disney Trio Bundle because Hulu seems more up my alley. No live TV; I don't think I'd use it enough.

There are a few Netflix things I want to check out eventually such as the previously mentioned Glass Onion. I also want to finish up Stranger Things when that returns as well as Castlevania. I can probably just sign up for a month here or there.

Y'all may have read my ramblings on The Dragon Prince. I watched one episode of Season 4 to see if they learned anything, and nope, officially done with this show. These mofos continue whiffing even the simplest expectations for good writing.
  • Characters are needlessly and overly vague about their intentions.
  • Characters talk about things they did that sound way more interesting than the conversation they're having about those things.
  • Nothing happened in an entire episode of a nine episode season. Why are y'all still stalling so much? So much time is spent setting up jokes that don't land instead of showing characters actually doing things.
There are so many options if y'all won't step up your game. I have Hulu now, motherfucker. I have access to Futurama again. Paramount announced THREE Avatar: The Last Airbender movies. I'm not spending any more time of this show when there are better alternatives.

I too just signed up for the Trio Bundle... Ad free, since Hulu ads started triggering on my computer after some Chrome update about a month ago.... and my D+ sub (3yr pre-pay) expired today.

Also The Dragon Prince was renewed through S7, so it's a shame it's not meeting your expectations, as it's one of the few shows that Netflix seems to want to extend, especially early on.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: November 11, 2022, 07:32:13 PM »
I went ad-free as well. I'm too used to not having ads. The Trio Bundle is like $5 more than Netflix per month with far more content I enjoy so it was worth it to me.

And yeah, I wanted to like The Dragon Prince. Not for me, unfortunately. Now that you mention it, one of my main issues with Netflix was its propensity for canceling shows. I didn't even watch the Resident Evil show because I figured it'd get canceled. I did watch Cowboy Bebop, and well, there's more to say about that than I feel like writing right now (most of it, bad). Even the shows Netflix renewed kind of fizzled out like Orange is the New Black and Russian Doll. I'll finish Stranger Things even though only the first season was really good.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: November 12, 2022, 09:43:02 PM »
The only fantasy show I'm looking forward to is Willow.

Lord of the Rings - returning to the well - diminishing returns
Game of Thrones  - returning to the well - diminishing returns

Willow - returning to the well - but this is a well we haven't been to since 1988, and unlike the other two it continues a story instead of prequeling it.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Re: All Things Netflix! Now REQUIRING you to open the app every 31 days!!!
« Reply #678 on: January 31, 2023, 11:05:03 PM »
and that's from each device and from your "Home Server", otherwise you will be "Blocked" and have to call Netflix to unblock the device..

https://twitter.com/kendallbaker/status/1620525272297771008?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1620525272297771008%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=

Seems a bit much to me.

you can also get a 7 day log in code for unowned devices... like Hotel/AirBNB Smart TV's.

But there are devices I may not log into every month just to watch Netflix....
Now if those devices at home that you haven't used, attempt to log in after 31 days, and it's on the home network (and it knows what kind of device it is), then it should renew your timer.

As for other devices, it shouldn't "block" you, but log you out, and require 2-step authentication to log back in.

I feel that has to be less inconvenient for an account holder than to have to "Call Netflix" to access my account from my device.

They should have enough data, such as the type of device, and where it usually and last logged on from to know if it's an account sharing device
- i.e. it only logs on to the home network once every 31 days, and it always on a different network every other time.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: February 01, 2023, 02:09:47 AM »
Netflix is ran by morons. I assume Netflix will run up such a debt that they'll have to file for bankruptcy and be bought by Apple or something. They produce too many shows.

Years ago the lack of original content was a problem, it was supported by a backlog of 1980s B movies, which was great. Then they started carrying AMC, HBO, and Showtime content, then they finally had their own shows.

Now they've gone overboard on making a new titles and then abandoning it.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #680 on: February 02, 2023, 01:47:51 PM »
So, the 31-day rule is a trial they're running in Latin American countries, and US users will be put on a verification code system.

This is still a stupid plan created by bad management. They're consistently struggling to add value to Netflix while actively decreasing the value of a subscription. You still can't really invest in a TV show without worrying that it'll be canceled before it gets a second season.

I assume Netflix will run up such a debt that they'll have to file for bankruptcy and be bought by Apple or something. They produce too many shows.

They're in pretty decent shape financially, from quick browsing of their financials. But if they end up broadly rolling out the 31-day lock-out timer, I suspect the subscriber numbers will drop about 45 days afterward, which would likely tank their stock.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: February 02, 2023, 09:20:16 PM »
They supposedly backtracked on that 31 day BLOCK thing. That's pretty stupid.

If they just do a 2FA thing every 31 days for a device that never touches the home network, (and you should've have to log into Netflix from your phone from home, because why would I do that when I have unlimited data at 5G connection speeds at my house... and all my TV's are already connected to Netflix) then I think that will suffice and maybe even be enough of a deterrent in most cases to get some people to just pony up the cash and get a sub of their own.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #682 on: February 03, 2023, 01:24:52 AM »
The idea of Netflix just annoying people into getting their own accounts is hilarious.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 12, 2023, 05:21:49 PM »
What's wrong with just blocking you from concurrently watching from multiple devices? Say you get two "real times views" for a basic account, and if a third device under your account tunes in to Netflix block it with a message you have too many running at once? Even giving an option for your "primary device" that you select to kick another viewer off their show.

Pretty sure that is close to how Hulu does it because we used to go in with another family member on the Disney/Hulu/ESPN bundle until they kept getting blocked and I had to reset the password to let them back on (they were in another state).

It just feels like Netflix is trying to cut back on free perks at a club and doing it with the poorest amount of tact possible.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
All Things Netflix! Coming Soon: The Netflix Experience, Live and In Person!??
« Reply #684 on: October 23, 2023, 01:08:04 AM »
Netflix to open new Physical Locations...!?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-10-12/netflix-to-open-stores-where-fans-can-play-shop-and-eat-in-2025?leadSource=uverify%20wall

To be more like a Themed Bar and Grill with a Souvenir Shop and an "Escape Room"/Experience attached.

actually not a bad idea.

Netflix Inc. plans to open new destinations where fans can immerse themselves in the worlds of their favorite TV shows, shop for clothing, eat themed food and maybe even try a Squid Game obstacle course.

Dubbed Netflix House, the venues will feature a mix of retail, dining and live experiences, according to Josh Simon, the company's vice president of consumer products. The streaming TV pioneer plans to open the first two in the US in 2025 and then expand the concept around the world.

I didn't do the Stranger Things Experience when it came to SF, but I could see that being a cool reason to keep vising the place, especially if the food and drinks are beyond decent.

Not only can they advertise the latest and greatest things they have to offer on the streaming platform, but they could have a small arcade area to boost the awareness that they also have games on the mobile platform. They can sell all the merchandise from their "Netflix Originals" and other popular programs.

Then plan on having a rotating "Experience", such as a Squid Game challenge, or Stranger Things Experience, (a few made up ones) Wednesdays Halloween Haunt, Locke and Key Interactive Escape Room, One Piece Playhouse (take picks with life size characters in set locations), World of The Witcher, Warrior Nun Training Grounds.... or countless other "experiences" based on Netflix properties.
edit: The House of Ushers New Years Eve Masquerade Ball (one I would very much look forward to. lol)

They could even have Movie/Show premier Dinner Parties, where they serve special themed items, and debut a certain show/movie hours ahead of the debut on the streaming platform.
Meet and Greets, Cos-Play events, and even Character/Actor signings.

For years, media companies have used theme-park rides, costumes, toys and other consumer products to promote their characters and generate additional cash. This business is new to Netflix, whose marketing efforts have sometimes been criticized as inadequate by film and TV producers. Management views Netflix House more as a way to promote its titles than as a meaningful source of revenue, at least for now.

"We've seen how much fans love to immerse themselves in the world of our movies and TV shows, and we've been thinking a lot about how we take that to the next level," Simon said in an interview.

Netflix House will have rotating installations, including ticketed shows inspired by popular series and restaurants featuring food from unscripted shows. The food and drinks will range from fast casual – think burgers and fries – to more high-end dining, desserts and spirits.

Not a bad idea at all if they can pull it off.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 01:14:05 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
My wife went to the Stranger Things event with her sisters. They had fun. This could be a great idea if executed properly. My wife re-watched the series leading up to going so there is a lot of potential to capitalize on interest in their big shows.
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Netflix just had what they call the Geeded Week 2023 that list a bunch of stuff that was coming out the end of this year.

Some of it is already out, and really good, such as Blue Eyes Samurai, but there are trailers for about 4 dozen titles coming to Netflix soon, if they aren't already out

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvahqwMqN4M02OJC_APnQ6iADjvL959Nx
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvahqwMqN4M02OJC_APnQ6iADjvL959Nx[/youtube]

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
Netflix has the New Spiderverse, and will be getting the Mario Movie next month. Saves me needing to get a Peacock sub anytime soon.
My Game Collection