Author Topic: So nobody likes GameStop?  (Read 241539 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: So nobody likes GameStop?
« Reply #675 on: October 29, 2015, 05:05:53 PM »
I almost quoted it to prevent this from happening, but I didn't want to potentially copy some hidden code I did not see.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: October 29, 2015, 05:49:23 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more, Melinda!
It's almost a shame the comment you were responding to was removed, leaving your reply without context.
On the flip side, anything that makes Stratos look crazy is a plus.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #677 on: October 29, 2015, 08:51:56 PM »
I never notice when EB Games has a sale..
I know right?! Over stating at the extreme! I'm sick of it it's literally EVERY OZ EB DOES THIS!
And my local stores say stuff like that and turns out it's not even on anymore! eugh!
Made you look ****.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 15, 2017, 09:26:07 PM »
http://www.barrons.com/articles/videogame-sales-are-fading-and-its-crushing-gamestop-1484329331

Sales at GameStop fell 16.4% in the last nine weeks of 2016, the company said, compared with the same period a year earlier. Shares of GameStop tumbled 9% on the news, to $22.50.

haw haw.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 15, 2017, 09:58:39 PM »
Good, it allowed me to walk into my local branch and pre-order a system at 11AM on Friday. No lines, no mess.
My Game Collection

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #680 on: February 08, 2017, 01:20:43 PM »
GameStop is getting a lot of crap for its Circle of Life sales shenanigans. A Reddit topic blew up and the story moved to the gaming press, such as on Kotaku.

Now, Mega64 has their funny (at least to me) and all too true take on how shitty GameStop treats its employees (from my own experience), but this time it's involving Circle of Life!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: February 09, 2017, 10:18:02 AM »
GameStop is getting a lot of crap for its Circle of Life sales shenanigans. A Reddit topic blew up and the story moved to the gaming press, such as on Kotaku.

Now, Mega64 has their funny (at least to me) and all too true take on how shitty GameStop treats its employees (from my own experience), but this time it's involving Circle of Life!

Haha that's pretty funny, though I must say the sales model employed here is a little perplexing. I understand that they make more money on used game sales than on new copies, but... Surely they make a profit on both? And some of those new copies you sell may eventually return to your store anyway as used copies which you can sell a second time?

I guess it's meant to boost their overall profit margins, but if the result is that employees feel pressured to lie to their customers... Maybe it's time to reconsider your store policies lol.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 09, 2017, 02:24:13 PM »

Haha that's pretty funny, though I must say the sales model employed here is a little perplexing. I understand that they make more money on used game sales than on new copies, but... Surely they make a profit on both? And some of those new copies you sell may eventually return to your store anyway as used copies which you can sell a second time?

I guess it's meant to boost their overall profit margins, but if the result is that employees feel pressured to lie to their customers... Maybe it's time to reconsider your store policies lol.

From the little I've looked into it, it appears to me that it was likely upper level management pushing an unrealistic goal for their stores, and those stores coming up with a short-sighted way to keep their numbers up.  They make a much bigger profit margin on the used goods, from what I understand, so not surprised they're pushing the stores to encourage used sales.

For example, in high school, I had a friend who worked at Best Buy, and their employee discount was taking off whatever profit margin Best Buy had on the product when an employee buys the item.  From what I understood, video game systems & games have very, very little profit margin.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #683 on: February 11, 2017, 04:47:53 PM »
*has interest in the Switch and enters into GameStop*

"CONGRATS! YOU HAVE LUCKILY BEEN PICKED AT RANDOM FOR THE SWITCH!"

"WHAT?!! AWESOME! YOU MEAN I GET A FREE SWITCH?!!"

"NO! EVEN BETTER! YOU GET A CHANCE TO PRE-ORDER A SWITCH AND GIVE US $300!!!"

"WTF?"

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/nintendo-switch-pre-order-gamestop-open-1000-reservations-random-stores-saturday-583723

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 12, 2017, 10:40:23 AM »
So...are you one of the lucky winners or was that just a clever tool to convey the linked story? I want to be happy for you but I'm just not sure!
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: February 12, 2017, 01:57:10 PM »
I remember when contests used to give you stuff, not make you buy the "prize."

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #686 on: February 12, 2017, 03:05:50 PM »
So...are you one of the lucky winners or was that just a clever tool to convey the linked story? I want to be happy for you but I'm just not sure!

A tool to convey the linked story. Thanks for thinking it was clever! :D

I don't go to GameStop too much. I don't like the policy of opening new games and still pricing them as new. It's hard to get the price sticker off the case and I think an opened copy makes it used (at least that's how it would be seen on Amazon/eBay).

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #687 on: February 12, 2017, 08:38:28 PM »
Normally how I roll with an EB games is i check out Big W and Target first to see if the game is there (it's normally much cheaper there) and then i go there. Because it's pretty much Australia's only gamestore.
Made you look ****.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: February 17, 2017, 02:22:20 AM »
I remember when contests used to give you stuff, not make you buy the "prize."
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 07, 2017, 09:13:12 PM »
So, I got an e-mail notice from EBGames (owned by Gamestop) and it appears they have more Xenoblade Chronicles games to sell!

What the heck? Is Gamestop just printing more of this game every 2 years to sell it? Are they actually still sitting on Xenoblade product? I don't get what is going on with this game and this chain.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: September 07, 2017, 11:26:36 PM »
I love how they use the term "recycled" instead of pre-owned or used. Makes me feel like you are helping Captain Planet save the world when you buy their games.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: September 14, 2017, 12:13:49 PM »
I was always confused how the Xenoblade agreement worked, so I don't know if GameStop has a right to produce copies. It wouldn't surprise me if the initial run of the game was actually millions, and they purposefully held back stock to drive up the price.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 14, 2017, 03:28:03 PM »
Wow... $70 for a Wii game?  It's worth what they are asking, but I'm pretty sure GameStop is just printing new copies and selling for a higher price than it retailed at more than five years ago. Crazy!

Then again, maybe they want to take advantage of the Xenoblade 2 hype. It's just odd in that you have to think that fewer and fewer people will have the systems to play this great game. Anyone just buying into Wii (or Wii U) now probably isn't an enthusiast gamer who would be looking for a 100 hour RPG...
NNID: ejamer

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: September 15, 2017, 02:31:03 AM »
On the other hand, you can buy a used Wii for a fraction of that price...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 16, 2017, 10:49:56 PM »
Isn't it also available on the Wii U virtual console or something?
My Game Collection

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: September 17, 2017, 12:22:15 AM »
Not in North America, I don't think.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 17, 2017, 12:34:21 AM »
Huh, I thought it was one of the Wii titles added along with Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and such. It should be added if it is not.

~One Google Search later~

According to Nintendo.com it is on the Wii U VC. It includes off-TV play too.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 12:37:02 AM by Donkos Kong »
My Game Collection

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 17, 2017, 03:22:23 AM »
Aw nuts! I love always correcting Insanolord's mistakes and showing everyone that he doesn't know anything but Donkos beat me to it.

Screw it. I'm doing it anyways.

Not in North America, I don't think.

What are you talking about? Xenoblade Chronicles has been on the Wii U VC for, like, a year, ya big dumb idiot. Why don't you go back to doing something more your speed like watching some grown men kick a ball around in a sport that mainly requires you just have to be able to count to 3 based on its usual scores. That's right, I'm talkin' about Nickmitch's favorite sport: man soccer!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 17, 2017, 10:17:40 AM »
Xenoblade digital download on Wii U costs almost $30 in Canada - probably more once you add tax in, although that depends on where you live.
Pretty sure that it has never gone on sale (unlike other regions), although there was a Club Nintendo discount available once.
It's locked to a dead console that relies on special/expensive hardware.

If it ever gets a (normal) digital sale, I'd still buy the game for a third time... but there is some value to physical over digital in this case.

That off-screen Wii U digital play would be sweet though!
NNID: ejamer

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #699 on: September 17, 2017, 07:56:06 PM »
Couldn't you also just download and play it on an n3DS?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.