Author Topic: New DS games announced in latest Famitsu  (Read 26837 times)

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
RE:New DS games announced in latest Famitsu
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2005, 08:26:58 AM »
I have absolutely NO idea, but I'm buying it.

lol

My guess, its Tenchu.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: New DS games announced in latest Famitsu
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2005, 08:57:01 AM »
Interesting to see a mario sports franchise introduced on the DS instead of the GCN..  I'm kind of excited.  It looks like they are going to make the player worry about all of those things other basketball games take for granted.

Traditional basketball game > You move the joystick, the player moves if he is allowed to dribble and auto dribbles for you.

DS basketball game > you move the joystick and the player moves.  If you don't start dribbling, you turn the ball over.  You also have to be careful not to double dribble etc.  Sounds really interesting.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2005, 08:58:42 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
BTW, am i the only one who thinks they wanted to call it "Breach" but f###ed up? Would make so much more sense...

You're going to have to take that up with the manga's creator...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2005, 09:03:34 AM »
I mean, the japanese often mix up L and R, wouldn't surprise me if he meant Breach but by the time someone noticed it was already in print and couldn't be changed anymore.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2005, 09:19:22 AM »
Exactly where were all those pictures taken?  If Famitsu just revealed them, it makes no sense that people were already playing them...

EDIT: http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20051005/ds_scr03.htm

That game looks pretty.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2005, 09:25:38 AM »
clazy KDR, you so sirry and lacist!

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2005, 09:59:58 AM »
screw dribbling the ball: move character with dpad or touchscreeen, tap the face of the person you want to pass too or hit the trigger/double tap teh goal onscreen to shoot

either way... HAPPY!! gosh today was going so poorly, too  (slept through my 8am class)
I'll shut up now...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2005, 10:08:47 AM »
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20051005/ds_scr51.htmSpot the Difference DS!

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20051005/ds_scr48.htmI have no idea what this is, but it looks pretty cool.  Ten bucks says it doesn't make it to America.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2005, 10:14:57 AM »
Is this dribbling stuff confirmed or just speculation?  If it's real I find it quite ironic.  Nintendo wants to simplify things for non-gamers and the DS design was part of that plan.  Yet here they have a basketball that requires you to manually dribble which is way more complex than any traditional basketball game that dribbles for you.

It's a neat idea and it would be good for a game that strives for realism.  But is it really going to be that fun to manually dribble?  I suck at dribbling in real life.  Part of the reason NBA Jam is one of my favourite games is that I don't have to worry about stuff like that.  I just get the ball, run up the court and "BOOMSHAKALAKA!!"

Stimutacs Addict's got the right idea.  Choosing exactly where to pass or shoot would add a lot more strategy to the game.  In real sports you can pass to where the intended receiver isn't with the expectation of them getting past their check to get it.  With a regular pass button you automatically pass to where the player is.  Shooting with a button is usually based on court position and stats and stuff.  Here there would be less randomness.  Dribbling is just tedious.  I can't see much reason to not have auto dribbling other than novelty value.  

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2005, 10:23:01 AM »

Nintendo wants to simplify things for non-gamers and the DS design was part of that plan. Yet here they have a basketball that requires you to manually dribble which is way more complex than any traditional basketball game that dribbles for you.

You act as if Nintendo is developing the game and not Square Enix.   You also act as if it was Nintendo's idea to even make the game.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2005, 10:24:47 AM »
"You act as if Nintendo is developing the game and not Square Enix."

Well it is MARIO Basketball so obviously Nintendo has some input in the thing.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2005, 10:28:20 AM »
I bet Nintendo's involvement is to make sure the game isn't a pile of filth.  When Square Enix comes up with 6 games for the DS and they ask to do a Mario basketball game, they can do whatever the hell they want to.  

What did you want them to say to Square Enix?  No?

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2005, 10:33:31 AM »
Manually dribbling the ball makes no sense whatsoever.  
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2005, 10:34:40 AM »
Vudu, I think this is the 2nd game http://ds.ign.com/articles/653/653718p1.html

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2005, 10:39:24 AM »
"I bet Nintendo's involvement is to make sure the game isn't a pile of filth."

Thus why I'm bringing up the concern over manually dribbling.

Anyway it's still rather ironic that the DS is designed to simplify gaming and here is an example of the DS features potentially making a game more complex.  It's still the opposite of what Nintendo planned for the thing even if it's all Square Enix's idea.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2005, 10:47:16 AM »

Anyway it's still rather ironic that the DS is designed to simplify gaming and here is an example of the DS features potentially making a game more complex.

An example.  As in one.  As in, not representative of the whole.  You fail.

It's still the opposite of what Nintendo planned for the thing even if it's all Square Enix's idea.

That's nice.  And it would be relevant too if Nintendo owned Square Enix.  But they don't.  I also notice you dodged my question on whether you would want Nintendo to turn Square Enix down.  Waiting for an answer on that front.

Who knows?  It could be fun.  Don't think so?  Don't like Mario Basketball?  Don't even like the idea?  Fine.  Shut up.  There's the door.  Your complaints are becoming more and more unfounded.  And at least two members of the moderating staff are growing quite tired of your antics.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2005, 10:49:34 AM »
Nintendo's plan with the DS was to provide games for all types of gamres, not to dumb down everything on the system.

Anyway, I concur with previous vocalised sentiments; DS is teh win, best system ever.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2005, 10:56:22 AM »

Originally posted by: Deguello
Who knows?  It could be fun.  Don't think so?  Don't like Mario Basketball?  Don't even like the idea?  Fine.  Shut up.  There's the door.  Your complaints are becoming more and more unfounded.  And at least two members of the moderating staff are growing quite tired of your antics.

You know that you don't have to reply or even read all of his post, you could just skip over it.  I personally don't have anything against the man, but I tend to skip over his post all the time(mostly just the long ones), only going back to read them if I have the time and/or if someone quotes his post, I'll go back and read it trying not to take the quote out of context.

Most of his post are a little on the bitchy/whiney side, picking at whatever detail there is to pick at, but I find it funny sometimes, annoying other times, but it always seems to drum up a conversation/debate, and that is healthy for the life of the forums.

Offline Mr. Segali

• PAY YOUR RENT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2005, 11:10:21 AM »
The forums need Ian. He brings much needed balance by not being a blind fanboy that loves every single decision Nintendo makes... hell, he might not like 99.9% of them, but there are more than enough people here that do... plus his posts are always well thought out and chalk full of logic regardless of whether or not the majority of people agree with it.
Imported Super Princess Peach

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2005, 11:12:02 AM »
I still have yet to buy a DS.

Why?

I don't know...
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2005, 11:16:01 AM »
"I also notice you dodged my question on whether you would want Nintendo to turn Square Enix down. Waiting for an answer on that front."

If it was my intellectual property I would turn them down.  I would tell them that Mario is a little too overexposed right now and to maintain his selling power I was going to use him more sparingly.  I would instead ask them if there are any other franchises that aren't so overexposed they were thinking of using and if not offer to publish an original idea as a Nintendo exclusive for the next few years.  They can't take the new franchise Nintendo published on the DS and put it on the PS3, but they retain the rights to it and after the exclusivity agreement is up they can do whatever they want with it.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2005, 11:16:36 AM »

He brings much needed balance by not being a blind fanboy that loves every single decision Nintendo makes...

There are only a few people on this forum who are like that.  Most people just agree with Nintendo's decisions.

That seems to be a common conclusion- agree with Nintendo?  Blind fanboy.  Not saying you necissarily think that, but I hear that argument a lot.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Mr. Segali

• PAY YOUR RENT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2005, 11:16:51 AM »

Originally posted by: Don'tHate742
I still have yet to buy a DS.

Why?

I don't know...

Well, as long as you have one by November or so, you should be good to go. I bought mine for Castlevania DS, and now that all these awesome games have been announced I don't feel so bad for spending 200+ on an uneccessary bundle (thanks Amazon.com).  

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2005, 11:26:25 AM »
"agree with Nintendo? Blind fanboy."

I wouldn't say that though I have heard other people use that logic.  I think it depends on who the person is.  Some people never seem to EVER question anything Nintendo does and love every single game.  That's pretty weird.  That sort of behaviour suggests fanboyism.  You figure there be at least some games released that the person admitted were well designed but just weren't their cup of tea.  Even in the heydey of the SNES Nintendo still occasionally released something I just didn't really care for.

It's when someone agrees with everything, quotes PR speak as if it actually means something, and defends everything Nintendo does that I see someone as a blind fanboy.

Offline Mr. Segali

• PAY YOUR RENT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2005, 11:32:06 AM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing

He brings much needed balance by not being a blind fanboy that loves every single decision Nintendo makes...

There are only a few people on this forum who are like that.  Most people just agree with Nintendo's decisions.

That seems to be a common conclusion- agree with Nintendo?  Blind fanboy.  Not saying you necissarily think that, but I hear that argument a lot.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying that at all... that would be unfair. I guess my point was there are people like that and pretty much only one of Ian.