Author Topic: Hockey Discussion: The Leafs Would Like To Borrow Taylor Hall's Horseshoe  (Read 184887 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Hockey Discussion: Now without the Flyers because they lost, baby!!!
« Reply #375 on: May 29, 2018, 03:06:46 AM »
Can't believe that Ryan Reeves is suddenly the clutch player for the Golden Knights. Add it to the pile of Vegas hitting the jackpot on pretty much every move they made this year. Obviously there was some talk about rust for Vegas having 9 games off and Washington had 5 as well which isn't too bad but that may have contributed to both goalies being not as sharp and Game 1 being a higher scoring game. I like it and it would be great if the games stayed this close yet full of action throughout the series but I feel the goal-scoring will decrease as the series goes on. It always seems to get tighter as the Final moves to the end.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #376 on: May 31, 2018, 04:34:52 PM »
#ALLCAPS
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 04, 2018, 11:09:40 PM »
A dominant performance in Game 4 gives the Capitals a 3-1 series lead. They're either going to pull this off or be the most epic DC sports collapse ever (and that's saying something).
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #378 on: June 04, 2018, 11:34:38 PM »
Until then, #ALLCAPS
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
I was into the novelty of Vegas winning in their first year at first as I assumed they would go against a team like Pittsburgh that had won it recently (and my Canucks weren't anywhere near the playoffs anyway).  But with Washington it would be such a kick in the balls to their fans if they lost so I'm hoping the Caps close it out Thursday.  If anything I would like to see Ovi get a Cup and get that monkey off his back.  That will totally change the narrative of his career.  Hall of Fame athletes tend to get looked at completely differently depending on if they won a championship or not.  If Ovechkin wins it then there's no "but..." when people talk about his career.  Actually he might be the most high profile player without a Cup win as the top stars in hockey have usually managed to win a championship.  Aside from active players like Stamkos, who's the most prominent to never win a Stanley Cup?  Lindros?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Extry Extry, Hawky Tawky in the Discord at kickoff!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
So, already talked a bunch about the game and Caps and other hockey stuff in the Discord channel and don't really feel like rehashing it out again in post form. Suffice to say, it's a pretty amazing victory by the Caps to win this year and they did so by getting revenge on a couple teams that bounced them out the past few years (Pens and Tampa) as well as defeating the new team by their former GM who got to see a lot of the talent he drafted and traded for finally win with him on the other side.

But one thing I didn't mention and would like to bring up is that great punching bag of the NHL: The Ottawa Senators. I just heard couple stories that I wanted to share because it once again highlights why they are the worst and more crappiest team in the NHL.

First, Ottawa Senators assistant general manager Randy Lee is accused of inappropriately touching and making lewd comments toward a hotel shuttle driver while in Buffalo for the NHL's scouting combine.

And second, Health Canada has issued a recall for Ottawa Senators onesies over a choking hazard. I like the nice touch the article makes by pointing out that "No other NHL teams’ onesies have been recalled."

Senators gonna suck.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Alright, Ovi has his Cup.  Now the narrative from the sportswriters for him is flipped.  He's no longer the guy who can't win the big one, he's now "only" one of the best players of all time.  I guess Stamkos becomes the punching bag now (or maybe McDavid in a few years if the Oilers don't go anywhere).

My favourite moment was seeing Ovi and Backstrom skating with the Cup together.  Those guys have been teammates for 11 seasons so you gotta know it was a special moment for them.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
So my Leafs went out and signed John Tavares (the biggest name on the UFA market) for 7 years, AAV $11m a year. Can't wait for the Leafs to be able to roll out three helicopters next year.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
And the Flyers brought back the guy they took 2nd overall and then traded for a mediocre defenseman. JVR-Patrick-Voracek should be a pretty fun second line, now we just need a third line center and maybe a second pair defenseman and we'll be in business.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
And all the Penguins could do is bring in Jack Johnson. *Insert Price is Right loser music*

Amazingly, Matt Cullen is actually going to play another year and also signed with them. I don't expect much from Cullen but he had made it seem like he was probably going to retire after his year with the Wild. Time for the Pens to bring back Jagr and have these two hockey oldtimers together to change the fourth line to a fortieth line.

Seriously, though, I am very interested to see what the Leafs will look like now with Taveres joining them. I'm surprised JVR didn't want to stay with the Leafs with Taveres coming on but I guess he really wanted to go back to Philly for some reason. I'd say this puts the Leafs about equal with the Lightning at this point. They've definitely got a good shot at winning the Atlantic division in the playoffs now and as, Vegas and Washington just proved, anything can happen at that point.

Big shake-up in the Atlantic with this signing. I'd say this kind of solidifies the Metro though. Pens and Caps are still the top dogs but Philly gets a bit better. Columbus is still around their level but if Philly continues the level of play they had this year then I give them the edge for 3rd spot. Islanders stay weak, Carolina is stuck in its cycle of so-so talent and play, Devils are seeing some turnover and will probably be fighting with the Rangers, Panthers and maybe the Canadiens for a possible wild card spot.

In the west, I don't see much change in the Central division either. Jets couldn't keep Statsny but even without him they were pretty equal to Nashville and if Hellebuyck doesn't regress then Nashville and Winnipeg probably stay as the top teams in that division. Wild continue to stay good but not great and should be able to get the third place or wild card spot again depending on Dubnyk being able to bail the team out. St. Louis has made a few additions so maybe they challenge the Wild for that third spot or are just better than the Avs now to get that last Wild Card spot they lost out on this year. I think the biggest competition in the division will be who can claim the wild card spot as STL, COL, DAL are all just good enough to do so depending how their season goes. Heck, even CHI might have the chance to snag that last spot if they get lucky and have a good season out their top players.

But it is the Pacific where things are getting wild. SJ missed out on Kovalchuk and Tavares and were rumoured to be trying to get one of them. Kane has been a good fit for them and they are a tough team to face already with the talent they do have. Still, having Tavares or Kovalchuk really would have boosted this team's potential. Maybe Joe Thornton can have one more healthy playoff run but I wouldn't expect him to carry this team or be the difference maker he once was. Vegas did bring in Stastny which easily makes up for the loss of Perron. If they can keep Neal then they may not see much of a dip in their standings from last year. Thanks to their cap room, they continue to be rumoured of being in the hunt for Erik Karlsson and if they do pull of that trade then they just might pull off another season of being the best in the Pacific. But Kovalchuk to the Kings does make things interesting. Kings have had problems scoring for awhile now. Carter and Kopitar have really been the only players to really be considered scoring threats for them. They've been able to do well defensively and Quick has put up good stats but as the quick exit this year showed, that defense does no good when they've got no offence to protect. Can Kovalchuk change the offensive make-up of the team enough to make the Kings a stronger team? I'm not convinced it is enough to give them one of the top spots in the division but enough to get them in the playoffs.

Then there's Edmonton who have Conner McDavid on the team and came close to winning the Division a couple seasons ago. Was last year an off year? An anomaly for the team and players who got off to a bad start and couldn't recover? Or is it indicative of a poorly contructed roster? Will McDavid be enough this year to get them to the playoffs again or not? Same with Anaheim. The roster suffered from injuries of crucial players all year and continued into their brief playoff run. When they've got all the pieces together and healthy then their team can still compete with any of the teams in this division but they just don't seem to have the depth to recover if they lose a crucial player or two. With them not making many moves this year, they better hope they stay healthy or that Perry sold his soul to the devil to get back his scoring ability because it is going to be a struggle to make the playoffs again otherwise. Even though Calgary made the weird decision of getting rid of Hamilton, they are a team that is a trade or surprisingly good rookie or two away from being a really good team. They are a mix of high and low end talent and came close to making the playoffs before fading off in the last 6 weeks of the season. As for Arizona and Vancouver, they need a Vegas miracle season. I expect those two can be counted out. If some other trades happen yet during the offseason with the teams in the Pacific it will just further add to this being the most interesting division to watch next year. There was a lot of talk about it being the weakest division and perhaps it is but that didn't stop Vegas from making the Final. With none of these teams being completely stacked versus the others, this could be a six-way battle for any of the four playoff spots.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Hockey Discussion: One way or another, the Caps are about to make history
« Reply #386 on: September 29, 2018, 01:08:32 AM »
Man, oh, man. I just thought about checking up on the Penguins to see how things were going in the Preseason and discovered this gem about the Senators and their GM.

https://thesportsdaily.com/2018/09/18/watch-pierre-dorions-brain-shut-off-on-live-tv-when-asked-what-makes-him-most-optimistic-about-the-2017-2018-ottawa-senators-p1b1/

Now that is how you answer a question!

Anyways, congrats to the Senators for winning the highest odds in the draft lottery this season. I mean, I don't see any other team being able to fall down to their level this year unless Boucher has come up with a new defensive trap he can coach this team with.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 02, 2018, 08:01:15 PM »
Seattle's getting an NHL team in 2020! Suck it, more deserving hockey towns!

https://www.chron.com/sports/article/NHL-moving-forward-with-Seattle-expansion-13275293.php

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 02, 2018, 08:10:48 PM »
I'm already worried about the expansion draft. The Flyers figure to be a lot stronger and deeper in two years than they were last summer, and we're likely to lose somebody a lot better than Pierre-Edouard Bellemare this time around.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #389 on: October 02, 2018, 09:45:36 PM »
Seattle won a Stanley Cup back in the day so I wouldn't call them an undeserving hockey market. Hopefully by 2020 the Canucks won't be a tire fire for the Cascadia Derby.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: October 03, 2018, 01:35:35 AM »
I see people on the Internet getting mad it was Seattle and not Quebec or some place in Wisconsin.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 03, 2018, 01:54:20 AM »
Wisconsin should probably have a team, but I don't think they have anything resembling a possible ownership group, let alone a real bid. Quebec City at least tried, but there are like 400 people living there, so I can understand the NHL not being in a rush to try that again.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 03, 2018, 02:58:28 AM »
Ever since Winnipeg got their team back, Quebec City and its fans have been hoping they can return to the NHL too. Problem is QC isn't really set up or ready to make any real bid at the moment. Frankly, Winnipeg is kind of lucky because when they lost the NHL, they later constructed a new arena but it was smaller than the average NHL arenas (probably since they thought having the NHL come back wasn't going to happen) and now that they are back in the NHL, they've got the smallest arena in the league.

Seattle, meanwhile, had built a large arena so they had the building and have been talking of getting an NHL or NBA team for awhile. When Vegas joined last year, Seattle started getting more serious with the NHL so this isn't really surprising news aside from the fact that it took this long to finally be announced that they would be getting a team. It's made sense for awhile as well since the Western Conference had two fewer teams than the Eastern Conference. With Vegas and now Seattle, that will even the Conferences out. Although I wonder who will get pushed out of the Pacific Division and into the Central as Seattle will clearly belong in that division. I'm thinking it might end up being Vegas that gets moved. Unless the NHL decides to remap and redo all the divisions and conferences again.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 04, 2018, 02:24:29 AM »
Woo! Now that's the classic 2003 Ducks hockey I remember. Get outshoot by the competition and yet still win by being able to score on the very few chances the Ducks actually get. Quality not quantity, am I right? Thank goodness for Rakell. I have a feeling it's going to be him and Gibson that will be the main reasons for any success the team has this year.

Wanted to see the game but was out for a bit tonight and then I needed to finish submitting a job application before the deadline tonight. By the time I was done, it was over. Oh well. It wasn't the home opener and there'll be plenty of other chances to check in with the team yet.

In the meantime, I look forward to the Penguins first game tomorrow. Curious to see how this teams performs after their slow start last year.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 04, 2018, 11:37:09 PM »
Woo! Now that's the classic 2003 Ducks hockey I remember. Get outshoot by the competition and yet still win by being able to score on the very few chances the Ducks actually get. Quality not quantity, am I right?

That was the 2003 Nintendo motto as well :reggie:

Agreed on Gibson, he is truly a madman. The first part of the game was bad: couldn't go anywhere with the puck, and the Sharks could waltz right in whenever they wanted, then factor DX (Ducks-X) happened and they got opportunistic and pulled off their first win vs. SJ since Nov. 20. Yikes and also yay.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 05, 2018, 01:49:26 AM »
Really? I thought the Ducks beat the Sharks before the playoffs happened last year but I must be confusing them with the Kings. Didn't realize that the Sharks were becoming a problem (even though they completely sucked against them in the playoffs last year :( ). I prefer the streak of the Calgary Flames who could not win against the Ducks for so long. Hope they get back to making another streak against them.

Glad I watched the Penguins/Capitals game today though. There's been a few years where the rivalry wasn't that big a deal with Pens or Capitals having off years but the past three seasons, these teams have both got their act together and it's always a great game when you've got two teams with that much talent who can capitalize quickly at any moment in the game. Entertaining stuff.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 11:11:35 AM by Khushrenada »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 05, 2018, 03:24:00 AM »
Promising start tonight for the Flyers with a 5-2 win in Vegas. Especially nice to see Wayne Simmonds pick up two goals after all the injuries that held him back last season. How well we do this year is going to depend on what we get from our goaltending and our bottom 4 defensemen, and so far so good. Elliott looked sharp in net and Travis Sanheim looked like a guy who's ready to break out in his second NHL season and play a big role on defense.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 06, 2018, 02:35:04 AM »
So Seattle is getting one of them there NHL Teams: http://africa.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/25451147/everything-need-know-seattle-new-nhl-team?platform=amp

Looking forward to the Seattle Soviets hitting the ice!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 06, 2018, 03:10:17 AM »
I was pretty upset when the Flyers fired Ron Hextall, but this new guy seems okay.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 06, 2018, 03:26:15 AM »
WHAT?!?! I thought you'd be further disappointed by the Fletcher hire.