Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674843 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Thread: The Happiest Postseason Bubble On Earth
« Reply #2425 on: September 28, 2020, 06:45:51 PM »
Doc Rivers out as LA Clippers head coach, sources say

Yeah, that was definitely the easiest prediction I've made all season, considering all that "load management" they did with Leonard only to fall apart in the playoffs anyway.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: September 28, 2020, 08:44:28 PM »
Yeah, that was definitely the easiest prediction I've made all season, considering all that "load management" they did with Leonard only to fall apart in the playoffs anyway.
Nah, that doesn't track at all. Load management worked literally last year with the same player you're failing to dunk all over. Also, every team in the bubble was coming off four months of rest. Just stop pushing that narrative, man. It's objectively incorrect.

While I loved dragging the Clippers this year, I'll offer some actual analysis. There were telltale signs the Clippers were poised to implode. While they had the most talented team on paper, they didn't seem to like each other very much nor were they on the same page (e.g. Layoff P said it wasn't a championship-or-bust season [contradicting what he said earlier in the season] while Lemon Pepper Lou said literally the exact opposite). The Nuggets exposed very specific holes in the Clippers’ roster notably the lack of both a primary playmaker and interior presence outside of Ivica Zubac who Nikola Jokic is just flat-out better than in every way. Guess how the Lakers beat the Nuggets? For those who didn't watch the Western Conference Finals, the tl;dw version is LeBron James is one of the best ball handlers/playmakers in the league and Frank Vogel put Dwight Howard on Jokic who was subsequently neutralized for large swaths of those games.

Regarding Doc Rivers specifically, he refused to make any meaningful adjustments and relied on talent to attempt to brute force his way through the playoffs. Jokic was bullying Harrell for his lunch money every game, and Rivers just would not do anything else. Rivers as a coach has been riding on that one 2008 Celtics title. He typically shows more actual coaching when he has less to work with (e.g. when he coached the Magic, last year's Clippers).

With a new coach and most likely some personnel changes (i.e. Harrell probably leaves in free agency so they'll have to replace him), the Clippers can bounce back next year. Hopefully, they drop this nonsense:

The working man's team narrative falls apart at the top considering Steve Ballmer is wealthier than like the next six NBA team owners combined.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 10:30:56 PM by Adrock »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: October 09, 2020, 08:17:37 PM »
LA Clippers president Lawrence Frank wins NBA Executive of the Year Award

The NBA Bubble® is the gift that keep on giving. It should be noted that all the NBA awards are based on the regular season and pre-bubble, and I believe votes were cast in July. Lawrence Frank winning this award shouldn't be funny, but it's still pretty funny. I understand why he won (e.g. the Clippers added two superstars), but I would have put him at second or third.

It should have gone to Sam Presti. He traded two max players, got a wealth of picks in return, and the Thunder were still good. I don't especially care about these awards. However, I think Executive of the Year shouldn't be voted on until after the NBA Finals because I don't think you can grade an executive's moves until you see how they play out in the post-season. Even with a first round exit, I still think Presti deserves the praise. We won't know how those draft picks turn into for years. It shouldn't matter. We didn't know the Clippers were going to choke in the playoffs either.

Anyway, I picked Lakers in six games for each of their series. While I expect them to win the series, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong again in either direction. I hope they close out the Finals tonight. If they win tonight, that Anthony Davis trade will have been well worth it even if he leaves (he won't) because it's hard enough to win one of these things.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: October 09, 2020, 11:42:01 PM »
I hope they close out the Finals tonight.
So much for that. 🤷‍♀️

Danny Green missed another wide open three pointer with seven seconds left.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2429 on: October 09, 2020, 11:56:41 PM »
This game was won by Butler getting foul calls and on Markieff on that bad lob pass to AD that sailed out of bounds.    Green, KCP and LeBron was open.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2430 on: October 10, 2020, 01:56:18 AM »
This game was won by Butler getting foul calls and on Markieff on that bad lob pass to AD that sailed out of bounds.    Green, KCP and LeBron was open.
That last foul on Anthony Davis that put Jimmy Butler on the free throw line normally doesn't get called that late in a Finals game. There was a case for verticality. More importantly, Butler got five offensive rebounds. The Heat only had nine in the game, but it felt like roughly infinity more. It was like 10:45 PM EST and I straight up yelled "GET A GODDAMN REBOUND FOR ****'S SAKE!" right out loud. Sorry, neighbors.

The Lakers also gave up two four-point plays. They also technically gave up a six-point play (three-point play off a flagrant foul then Duncan Robinson hit a three). Like how do you even manage that in a Finals game? Until the fourth quarter, every time the Lakers got within a couple points or even tied, they would do some dumb **** like that and give the Heat another cushion. Most teams aren't going to win if they fall behind by 11 points multiple times a game. There were a lot of lapses on defense from a normally elite defensive team. The Lakers let the Heat dictate the pace of the game.

There's no part of me that thinks the Heat can manage three in a row barring a major injury to LeBron James or Anthony Davis (the re-aggravated bone bruise is not ideal, but the medical staff will shoot his foot full of Cortisone and/or the blood of Jesus Christ on Sunday if they have to). Jimmy Butler had to play almost the entire game for the Heat to win by three. Can he do that two more times in a row? He's excellent, but I'll believe it when I see it. The Lakers just have to get back to what got them to the Finals in the first place: shutting teams the **** down. And maybe someone other than James, Davis, and KCMVP showing up on offense.

The Lakers tend to play much, much harder after a loss so I'm hoping for a major bounce back game. It's almost a good thing. Like, y'all have to lose before you get your **** together? I guess. Hope we get #17 on Sunday.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 02:00:37 AM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: October 10, 2020, 02:28:15 AM »
That last foul on Anthony Davis that put Jimmy Butler on the free throw line normally doesn't get called that late in a Finals game. There was a case for verticality. More importantly, Butler got five offensive rebounds. The Heat only had nine in the game, but it felt like roughly infinity more. It was like 10:45 PM EST and I straight up yelled "GET A GODDAMN REBOUND FOR ****'S SAKE!" right out loud. Sorry, neighbors.

The Lakers also gave up two four-point plays. They also technically gave up a six-point play (three-point play off a flagrant foul then Duncan Robinson hit a three). Like how do you even manage that in a Finals game? Until the fourth quarter, every time the Lakers got within a couple points or even tied, they would do some dumb **** like that and give the Heat another cushion. Most teams aren't going to win if they fall behind by 11 points multiple times a game. There were a lot of lapses on defense from a normally elite defensive team. The Lakers let the Heat dictate the pace of the game.

There's no part of me that thinks the Heat can manage three in a row barring a major injury to LeBron James or Anthony Davis (the re-aggravated bone bruise is not ideal, but the medical staff will shoot his foot full of Cortisone and/or the blood of Jesus Christ on Sunday if they have to). Jimmy Butler had to play almost the entire game for the Heat to win by three. Can he do that two more times in a row? He's excellent, but I'll believe it when I see it. The Lakers just have to get back to what got them to the Finals in the first place: shutting teams the **** down. And maybe someone other than James, Davis, and KCMVP showing up on offense.

The Lakers tend to play much, much harder after a loss so I'm hoping for a major bounce back game. It's almost a good thing. Like, y'all have to lose before you get your **** together? I guess. Hope we get #17 on Sunday.
I tuned in for the last minute of the game.
Perfect timing. Hope they push it to 7.

Saw Green miss another wiiiiiide open 3, and then a terible follow-up pass down the middle that went straight outta bounds.

Heat in 7!!

edit: had to clean up cellphone autocorrect nonsense
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 11:02:37 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2432 on: October 10, 2020, 05:03:31 AM »

I tuned in for the last minute of the game.
Perfect timing. Hope they push it to 7.

Saw Green miss another wiiiiiide open 3, and then a time follow-up pass fish the middle that went straight outta bounds.

Heat in 7!!

I guess no California solidarity from you with you being a Warriors fan.  That is a shame. 

I think the Lakers will close it out in 6. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2433 on: October 10, 2020, 07:59:06 AM »
If there's one thing I've learned from the internet it's that NorCal and SoCal really don't like each other.

But I hope it goes 7 just because the slobbering if the Lakers win in 6 will be unreal.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: October 10, 2020, 11:01:59 AM »
I got friends that are Laker fans and Warrior haters, so it's my sworn duty to hate on the Lakers, and as a Warriors fan, that's only strengthened by our professional rivalry against Lebron.

Heat in 7

See Jimmy Butler bring home a ring, while Lebron condemns all his teammates while trying to keep AD for another year and another chance, makes for the most interesting post season storyline to me.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2435 on: October 11, 2020, 10:05:02 PM »
LA LAKERS ARE THE NBA CHAMPIONS FOR THE 17TH TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: October 11, 2020, 10:42:22 PM »
Congrats to Lebron and the Lakers, but....

that's all I'm saying.
Ring is a Ring though, so congrats to all those earned one this year, and those that tagged along as well.

We will see you in the more normal next season.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: October 11, 2020, 11:39:49 PM »
LA LAKERS ARE THE NBA CHAMPIONS FOR THE 17TH TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

🧂🧂🧂🧂🧂🧂🧂🧂🧂🧂

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: October 12, 2020, 01:20:32 AM »
Hey I congratulated them..... I would * the win regardless of who won.
Lebron deserves it. He's an amazing athlete, and I'm glad AD could secure his first, of maybe a few more in his career. Lebron has put in the work, but once we get back to normal next season... I don't see him doing a back2back w/ the Lakers.

Hopefully the off-season is a good watch too.
Looking forward to some off season drama/news.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2439 on: October 12, 2020, 04:04:36 AM »
Asterisks are silly.   One could come up with lots of reasons someone was crowned Champ and they don't even have to be legit. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/nba-insider-tom-haberstroh/2020-nba-champion-will-join-long-list-titles-asterisks   
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: October 12, 2020, 09:00:30 AM »
The season was compromised. there was a 90+ day break in the season giving potential season wear and tear a chance to recover. It wasn't just cut short and rushed to a conclusion....
There were some players that opted not to play for safety concerns, and then replaced by temporary players. Not even all teams got to play (yes I know they had no shot at playoff spots), but that cut down games played, where of course, anything could have happened.

and this is directed at any team, but still, a ring is a ring, even if it's asterisk'd
no one will remember or care about the * 10 years from now... unless it's specifically mentioned in the History Book of 2020 (since this year could probably have a entire book dedicated to it.)

Run it back for a 2nd, asterisk won't even matter.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: October 12, 2020, 03:47:05 PM »
Asterisks are silly.   One could come up with lots of reasons someone was crowned Champ and they don't even have to be legit.
You’re not wrong. However, I don’t mind that asterisk. If anything, it was a tougher road because of everything that happened (e.g. Kobe’s death, the pandemic, the social justice movement etc). I think people downplay how hard it was for every team in the bubble to be separated from most of their family and friends.

The Lakers, who at least one analyst said had a better chance of missing the playoffs than winning the championship before the season, busted their asses to earn home court advantage in the Western Conference only to be forced to run through the playoffs on the most even playing field of any post season ever (no travel, no home court advantage for any team) with most games played every other day, and they did it after their best perimeter defender chose to stay home for his son. BNM mentioned the hiatus giving players time to recover. The Lakers were one of the healthiest teams in the league in March so if anything, that made things even more difficult for them. Rajon Rondo broke his thumb at the start of the bubble and had to leave for over a month.

Haters all over the internet are pushing this asterisk narrative like it’s a bad thing. The Lakers should get an unsanctioned second ring for dealing with extra nonsense this year. I’m joking about that last bit. I don’t think this championship should count any more or less than any other. However, if people insist on putting an asterisk, I think it’s only fair to put it in the right context.

As for next season, who even knows? The league is aiming for January, but team governors want fans in arenas. I doubt that happens in three months. We may get another truncated season and another “asterisk” champion.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 03:57:20 PM by Adrock »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2442 on: October 12, 2020, 04:58:43 PM »
An asterisk should lessen a championship.  And there was nothing really there that gave the Lakers an advantage over other teams.  The extra break could've helped an aging LeBron rest/recover, but every player on every team got that break.  And like Adrock said, Lakers were healthy going into the break.  I also think every team that got into the bubble benefitted from fewer games, unless it didn't give them enough to make the playoffs.  But the Lakers could've sealed the 1 seed early enough to have rest games at the end of the season anyway.

And it's not really the championship that has the asterisk; it's the season as a whole.  The League was impacted, all players, teams, coaches, staff, etc were impacted.  If this happened in the middle of the finals, then sure, put it on the winners.  But COVID happened to everyone.

More importantly, the NBA should be really proud of having no positive COVID tests in the bubble.  The NFL literally did not plan on trying to prevent anyone from getting infected and instead strategized around keeping people from spreading.  They invested so many resources on contact tracing, but seemingly no effort on planning what to do in the event of an outbreak.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: October 12, 2020, 05:48:32 PM »
And it's not really the championship that has the asterisk; it's the season as a whole.  The League was impacted, all players, teams, coaches, staff, etc were impacted.  If this happened in the middle of the finals, then sure, put it on the winners.  But COVID happened to everyone.

I agree, the asterisk is more on the season as a whole, and not the actual playoff run itself.
The playoff run was affected by the break, and the situation on going, but it did allow some people to nurse so nagging issues, and/or budding injuries that could've become real had they continued to play on them. Body fatigue, and countless other things that a non-interrupted season could've have presented. A shortened season would have a much smaller asterisk to me than this interrupted one.
But replacements aside, all teams came in rested and got to go 100% with a full roster. So it's not to say the winner didn't deserve a ring, it's just that the circumstances that led to anyone getting a ring leaves an asterisks on this season. 2020 was just, and continues to be, that kind of year.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: October 12, 2020, 06:43:09 PM »
But replacements aside, all teams came in rested and got to go 100% with a full roster. So it's not to say the winner didn't deserve a ring, it's just that the circumstances that led to anyone getting a ring leaves an asterisks on this season. 2020 was just, and continues to be, that kind of year.

Yeah, no. Teams came in with injuries. Both the Jazz and Nuggets were missing players from the start due to injuries either during the Bubble or prior to it, and when one of those missing players was our 2nd-best player...no, teams did not come into the playoffs 100% with a full roster, just most of them.

On a side note, I'd like to congratulate the Chinese Communist Party on their 1st NBA Championship. Lord knows they earned it this season.  :P

On a less cynical note, I'll be curious to see how the off-season goes now. The Jazz have to make some decisions about Gobert and Conley, and I suspect one or both won't be making it to next season's roster.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2445 on: October 12, 2020, 08:49:55 PM »
I will admit there was some injuries to the Suns back in March to Kelly Oubre Jr and I think he was healthy to play it is just he opted out of the bubble for many reasons.  Rubio and Baynes also had to be quarentined and really only Rubio played.   Free agent status,  personal reasons or just being injured and not having a chance to move the needle for their team.    The bubble was an opt in or opt out sort of thing by the player.  So it was up to individual players what they wanted to do and there was no shaming players if they opted out of the bubble.   To try and counter balance things the teams could bring in their two-way or G- League or sign free agents who could play to fill out the roster.

As to LeBron and him being able to rest he did talk a bit about that after the season was paused.  He said that he has a rhythm he goes through the season and his body is used to and he was ramping up his body for the playoffs and when the season was paused his body had to adjust to not playing. Like his body was telling him what is going on? 

The other factor which Adrock mentioned was the harsh playoff schedule of the first 4 games of a series was every other day and also the mental toll of not being with family and the isolation of staying in one place all the time for like 4 months.    I know I dealt with the isolation the first few months of COVID-19.

Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: November 19, 2020, 02:39:39 PM »
Klay Thompson tore his Achilles yesterday....

another lost season for the Splash Bros
another rough season for the Warriors
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 09:10:17 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2447 on: November 19, 2020, 02:54:22 PM »
Dang. Down to only two NBA All-Star level players. Really puts you guys in an underdog position. :P
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: November 19, 2020, 09:12:43 PM »
man, the salt.... we had a good run.
changed the game. Even made Harden want give up and switch teams.

Hopefully Klay makes a full recovery.
abs hopefully Steph finds his Splash without his brother by his side.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: November 20, 2020, 01:21:45 AM »
I guess all isn't lost....
we picked up Kelly Oubre for a year.

not sure how I feel about that, but I'll let it play out.
Just glad to see that ownership is all in and giving the team and the fans the best shot they can.
gotta respect that.
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/after-klay-thompsons-season-ending-injury-the-warriors-are-breaking-the-bank-to-remain-competitive/