Author Topic: NWR Monster Hunter Club  (Read 481295 times)

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Re: NWR Monster Hunter Club
« Reply #200 on: April 23, 2010, 01:05:42 AM »
I've tried adding Seacor as well.  I think he's right; we have to be online at the same time to add each other to friend's lists.  Kind of lame, but it's something that can be remedied.

I think you only have to be online together the first time to add people.  After that, you will be able to instantly warp to your friends by selecting them from the list, according to a moderator at the Capcom Unity forums. 
You can search for your friend in various ways, by ID code or by name.

Once both of you are friends (by sending a message to them and then toggling on the friend request option in the message) you will be able to instantly warp to their town by going to your friends list, selecting their name and selecting warp.

I'm online for another hour or so, if anyone wants to try adding me to their friends list.

Also, Lindy, I noticed that the server messages state that the Monster Hunter Server maintenance occurs between 12 AM and 4 AM on Tuesdays.  It didn't indicate which time zone that might be, so it might be worth noting when scheduling hunting days.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 23, 2010, 08:51:15 AM »
Also, Lindy, I noticed that the server messages state that the Monster Hunter Server maintenance occurs between 12 AM and 4 AM on Tuesdays.  It didn't indicate which time zone that might be, so it might be worth noting when scheduling hunting days.

Yep, I saw this too.  My assumption is that that's PST, which would mean 3AM to 7AM EST.  Let's roll with the Tuesday 10PM EST time and see how that goes next week.

And here's my code:

Thurrek - 5RLLY8

I searched for myself using this code and I came up, so I know it works.  ;-)
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 23, 2010, 11:08:54 AM »
Sounds good.  Ever since I became a domesticated family ogre, I never get the TV until after everyone else goes to bed, anyway...unless it's football season.

In other news, I can't believe this game actually inspired me to get a Wii Speak.  It should be arriving on Saturday.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 11:16:47 AM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 23, 2010, 12:49:20 PM »
Just got called from my local EB Games. I will be joining the NWR Monster Hunter Club.

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 23, 2010, 01:34:42 PM »
I saw something else of note while on the Capcom-Unity forums, and thought I would post it here as an FYI.

Question:  My friend and I were playing MH for a little while to get used to it when we noticed each other swinging at nothing.  But we were each attacking a monster on our screen.  The other one of us could hit the "invisible" monsters but they could not hit us and also could not harm us.  The only things we could both see in the right position and both swing at were the bigger monsters.  But the normal weak monsters we each had our own set that the other person could not see.

So my question is... Is this intended or is it a bug?  If it is intended, why?

Answer:  Only Boss Monsters are sync,  All little stuff is sync only via life bars, It helps prevent lag Online.

Keeping track of players + Boss is alot better then the game trying to sync several monsters on screen.

So, in case you see your buddies swinging at nothing while playing on-line, now you know why! 

I'm a little disappointed by this development, because I would hope for strategies where a team would split duty between attacking a large boss and defending others from his henchmen.  If I'm reading the response correctly, I guess that you can still do that in a way, if the little monster's are still tied to a single life bar...  I guess I'll have to wait to see how that really works in practice.

I've got some experience trying to sync real-time data over networks, so I understand the added difficulties of synching all the monsters, though.  If the result is relatively lag-free play, then I suppose that the tradeoff is worth it.   
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:44:45 PM by Sundoulos »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #205 on: April 23, 2010, 01:41:51 PM »
ahahhahaha that's terrible.

BWii keeps track of what, ~100 soldiers AND their projectile ballistics in midair, relatively lag free?

What other deceptions does Capcom have in store?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 23, 2010, 01:50:09 PM »
Yes, it does seem like complete synching should have been an achievable goal.

Offline Kenology

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 23, 2010, 02:17:48 PM »
Add me guys:

Kenology
ID: GC3T3X
Wii Friend Code: 6761 9883 7072 2526 - PM me your Wii Friend code and I'll add you. 
BWii: 429 612 278 949
MOH:H2 EA Nation username: Kenology
Endless Ocean: 1667-3301-0310
SSBB: 2964-8266-3925 - profile name = Ken

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #208 on: April 23, 2010, 02:28:34 PM »
Racht

ID: 6UG8WR
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 23, 2010, 02:31:49 PM »
Let's move the code listing over to the official thread I've created.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 23, 2010, 03:28:53 PM »
I saw something else of note while on the Capcom-Unity forums, and thought I would post it here as an FYI.

Question:  My friend and I were playing MH for a little while to get used to it when we noticed each other swinging at nothing.  But we were each attacking a monster on our screen.  The other one of us could hit the "invisible" monsters but they could not hit us and also could not harm us.  The only things we could both see in the right position and both swing at were the bigger monsters.  But the normal weak monsters we each had our own set that the other person could not see.

So my question is... Is this intended or is it a bug?  If it is intended, why?

Answer:  Only Boss Monsters are sync,  All little stuff is sync only via life bars, It helps prevent lag Online.

Keeping track of players + Boss is alot better then the game trying to sync several monsters on screen.

So, in case you see your buddies swinging at nothing while playing on-line, now you know why! 

I'm a little disappointed by this development, because I would hope for strategies where a team would split duty between attacking a large boss and defending others from his henchmen.  If I'm reading the response correctly, I guess that you can still do that in a way, if the little monster's are still tied to a single life bar...  I guess I'll have to wait to see how that really works in practice.

I've got some experience trying to sync real-time data over networks, so I understand the added difficulties of synching all the monsters, though.  If the result is relatively lag-free play, then I suppose that the tradeoff is worth it.

Now that's a downer.. Hopefully the single life bar theory for the minions is true. I once tried to take on the online version of Great Jaggi by myself & it wasn't him that did me in, it was the waves of smaller Jaggi that were crowding me.
Mission...complete?

Offline coffeewithgames

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
    • Coffee with Games
« Reply #211 on: April 23, 2010, 08:06:15 PM »
I've started the game, but I'm currently doing the single-player quests.
I haven't tried an online match, yet!

I do have Wii Speak, and Tuesday nights about 10PM EST should work pretty well for me.
Drinking coffee, playing games!
http://coffeewithgames.com/

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 23, 2010, 08:39:36 PM »
I'll hopefully be on later tonight to try and add people for hunts.

I killed a herd of veggie-saurous already and bought basic chain-mail armor. W00t!
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 23, 2010, 09:14:28 PM »
Man, controlling the camera with the right stick makes all the difference.  This alone makes Tri MUCH better than Freedom Unite.  Underwater combat is a breeze.

Camera control isn't really an issue with Tri, IMHO.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #214 on: April 23, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
It never was, regardless of the stick or the d-pad.

But many of us will confuse ourselves the first time thru, simply because there's so many camera styles to re-adjust to when playing many different games.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 23, 2010, 09:57:47 PM »
It never was, regardless of the stick or the d-pad.

Have you played Freedom Unite?  Controlling the camera with the D-pad on the PSP is a real pain in the ass.  It's virtually impossible to move your character and the camera at the same time, unless you cramp your left hand up in some crazy position.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #216 on: April 23, 2010, 10:16:05 PM »
Oh, I thought you implied the Wii game with the WiiChuk controls.  In which case, having your thumb on the d-pad is natural especially after playing Crystal Bearers.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 23, 2010, 10:22:19 PM »
Oh no, the Wii controls are fine in either case.  You really had to love the game to tolerate it on PSP, believe me.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #218 on: April 24, 2010, 02:10:59 AM »
Just got the game, will hopefully be joining the fun on Tuesday nights.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 24, 2010, 02:38:20 AM »
My copy came in the mail, so I will soon be able to join the hunt.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 24, 2010, 04:44:44 AM »
If anyone is up I'm going to be online hunting if anyone is up for it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 24, 2010, 06:59:20 AM »
Uhh, I'm playing now... =P  I don't know the friend stuff, I'll figure it out soon.

Ok, my ID is G4XCHM

Right now I'm HR 6, but I'll be 7 soon, I'm just grinding quests.  Say here if you add me.

Offline Sundoulos

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 24, 2010, 11:05:19 AM »
Okay, this game has it's warts, but I'm totally starting to fall in love with it.  Here was a cool, but slightly spoilery, game moment:

I was completely taken by surprise during the Monster Guts mission.  I've been trying to grind a little bit to get more equipment for the first mission that I'm guess might be a sort of boss encounter.   So, I've been doing the missions a little out of order.  I took the mission, thinking that it would be pretty easy, since the targets are herbivores.  I took the map and saw a green icon on it in one of the areas.  So, I go there to find the herbivores, but it turns out the icon was representing the Lagiacrus instead.  Of course, this encounter was pretty much scripted.   You sort of have to work your way around the monster to get to the herbivores.   

Since this is my first Monster Hunter game, I'm still kind of working out the game's rules in my head about boss behavior.     
I won't describe too much about it so that I won't ruin anyone else's experience, but since I'm so underpowered at this time, it was kind of intimidating.   Trying to hide and run away from the Lagiacrus provided a few heart-pounding moments.   It sounds kind of silly, but it's been a while since a game has elicited that kind of response from me.   Not a "scared" moment, but my adrenaline was definitely pumping.

After I had gotten the required materials, I was foolish enough to try to get the Lagiacrus in my Monster Hunter's book.   I was standing on the shore waiting for a moment where he wasn't on alert to hop back into the water.  I guess he noticed me because he leaped onto the shore (which I didn't know he could do!) and proceeded to beat me senseless.   I barely managed to escape!

I do have a question, though.  I've noticed that a lot of the weapons seem to have metal version and a bone version... Is there any significant difference in purchasing one over the other...like what sort of you have to use to upgrade them?  Is it recommended that you get both types?

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 11:07:15 AM by Sundoulos »

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 24, 2010, 11:47:42 AM »
That same thing happened to me Sundoulos.

I have to admit, I'm really digging this game. Whenever I actually take it online for a bit, I'll get my ID and put it in the other thread.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 24, 2010, 01:03:07 PM »
Yeah, I'm really happy with it so far.  I'm going to be sinking a LOT of time into it, that's for sure.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog